Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Yummers posted:

I bought the car for performance and to get some respect and breathing room on public roads.

I clicked the last page of this thread rather than reading all the way through and saw this quoted on the top of the page without knowing the context.

I thought poo poo, that's kind of a douchey way to explain why you bought an ex-cop Crown Vic.

Then I went back a page and discovered that you drive a much lamer car than a Crown Vic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

Left Ventricle posted:

Toyota has redesigned the RAV4, and in the process, removed everything that made it unique in its segment.

No more V6, spare is now under the back like every other SUV/CUV/van/truck, regular vertical hatch. Wonderful. Now it's just like every other vehicle in its class.

I'm not seeing a single reason to stop and check out the new RAV4 while driving to the Ford lot.

Speaking of which, does Ford currently have any model that isn't best-in-class or close to it? It feels weird after growing up in a GM-dominated household but Ford just seems to be on the ball better than anyone else who competes in their tier.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

oRenj9 posted:

A lot truck owners appreciate that their vehicle is understated in spite of its cost. Ford tried this very idea with Lincoln and at didn't fare too well. I wouldn't think that the Germans could succeed in this market if Ford couldn't.

This is very correct; in Canada the most popular vehicle among millionaires is the F-150. I live in western Canada and work in finance, even in this industry full-size trucks are incredibly popular.

Nitrox posted:

When it comes to the daily grind, and I mean being used as a truck, not driving Joe Accountant to his office job, they don't come close to Ford/GM/Toyota offerings.

Nobody who seriously uses their truck buys a Toyota or Nissan. Tacomas and Frontiers have a place but the Tundra and Titan simply cannot compete with the American full-size trucks for any hard use.

As to the RAM, they're more popular in Canada than they are in America but I still can't think of much reason to buy one over a Ford or GM product unless you just have to have the mini-semi style.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Fucknag posted:

Wow, my Protege is 400 lb less than that. poo poo, my Blazer barely weighs more than that. Man, new compact cars really are getting fat as gently caress.

That's the price you pay for not dying horribly when you get in a crash.

Given that my favourite car I've ever owned was an old Nissan NX2000 I'm (Unreasonably?) excited about the new Fiesta ST. Has the North American version been driven yet?

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

bull3964 posted:

People look at low resale value as a negative and think it's a hallmark to a bad car.

It is if you're looking at spending your own money on it.

If I were buying a new car I'd pass over Hyundai, not because they're unsafe or because I believe they'd be unreliable, but because I know that their value tanks like a motherfucker compared to Honda.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Fucknag posted:

:stare: It just occurred to me that the next ZR1 or equivalent is going to be obscene.

On public roads a Mustang GT is already pretty obscene. Chevy's next ZR1 is going to be absurd to the point of how is this poo poo legal

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

So that's what a Corvette sedan would look like.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Thanks to this thread I now know that I can get a fairly well-optioned 4x4 F-150 with a V8 for about the same price as a Tacoma. What the gently caress, Toyota?

And what the gently caress, Nissan? Why don't you make anything that's not an ugly lump of undesirable poo poo or ten years out of date like your awful trucks? Even Honda is making bland, milquetoast cars these days. What happened, Japan, you used to be cool. :(

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

dissss posted:

If that's what you want then why not buy one of the less ridiculous versions on the same platform?

The difference between a GMC Yukon buyer and an Escalade buyer is a few inches.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

So why are the higher-end/luxury models for small cars always the hatch in north america?

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Cream_Filling posted:

They're not.

If you're thinking of hot hatches

Oops; yea that's what I meant.

Thanks.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Ford didn't just offer up a new engine option with the Ecoboost though, they ran a large and very well-done marketing campaign for it.

People will buy new things but you need to sell them on it.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Cat Terrist posted:

Pretty much. I mean there's nothing wrong with the WRX formula of a 15K Impreza with a poo poo hot 25K drive line, but they really did make it sound it would be unique platform this time around.

Oh, Canada.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Throatwarbler posted:

FUll details on the COlorado are out.

If I'm still living in this hellish northern climate and the trucks aren't blatantly poo poo I'll probably end up getting one of these with the diesel when it comes out.

I know that the modern full-size trucks from the American manufacturers are a much better deal than the over-priced and ancient Tacoma or Frontier, but they're too loving large. I drove a loaded Colorado for a year and while the typical GM build quality was a loving joke the size was great; full-size trucks are useless bullshit for the vast majority of people, bring on the modern small(er) trucks.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

dissss posted:

In the same way Acuras are just Hondas and Infinities just Nissans (in all cases what badge they got was dependent on market).

Not sure I get why the badge the car wears in another market matters though.

Because luxury brand purchases are about the cachet, not the product.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Except in sales, unfortunately.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

The front of that thing isn't evoking wings so much as diabeetus testing supplies.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Full-size trucks and SUVs are getting to the point that I sincerely believe it's time for either strict extra licensing requirements or legislation bringing height and size down for the sake of safety. I drive a mid-size car and it's still dwarfed by all the large trucks being driven around my city (Empty, with a single occupant, of course), to the point that I can't imagine driving something like a Miata here.

It doesn't really matter how many stars your Civic scored when crashed into a static barrier when an F-350 with 2-3 times the mass rams into you and rides up into the passenger cage.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

MrYenko posted:

It's a godamned abomination. The fact that it's possibly an Alfa makes it even more hilariously terrible.

I saw one oncoming tonight in the dark, the running lights above the round headlights look like angry eyebrows.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Tekne posted:

There's a ton of Renegade pictures here and also in red: http://www.autobild.de/artikel/jeep-renegade-genfer-autosalon-2014-4957576.html

I think Jeep has another hit on its hands.

That is adorable, I want one.

If the off road trim gets a proper 4X4 system like the Trailhawk Cherokee it should be able to go pretty much anywhere a Wrangler can, too.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Yea I'm liking Italian Chrysler more than German Chrysler or American Chrysler.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Powershift posted:

I'm ready.

Still better to just get an LS crate motor.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Throatwarbler posted:

Low belt lines you say?

Z06 now comes with convertible top and automatic trans.

Welcome to the year of our Lord 2014 where the automatic transmission is the luxury option, the efficiency option and the performance option.

Automatic Z06 is going to be the fast one.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Honda has the best engineers in the business.

They just happen to be directed toward turning Honda into Toyota.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Franco Caution posted:

If this is true it is the best news!

Finally, they're meeting the demands of the fifty or so vocal enthusiasts who are actually going to put their money where their mouth is and buy a manual Chevy SS!

Personally I'm waiting for the new turbo Mustang and to see if I'm correct in assuming that it'll be the slowest Mustang off the showroom floor and the fastest/best Mustang after you drop a thousand bucks on the engine and void your warranty.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Look, all I want is a small, lightweight, ~$20k, purpose-built RWD sports car with a manual and no frills that drive up the price like all those stupid cars made and marketed toward fat stupid Americans.

Oh, and it has to make more than 200hp I mean I don't want to be driving something slower than an Accord, and really it needs some good NVH dampening for when I'm on the highway, and would it be too much to ask for a good stereo and some nice soft-touch materials in the cabin so it doesn't feel like I'm driving a stripped-down economy car?

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

:thejoke:

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Doesn't matter, has roundels.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

oRenj9 posted:

They probably have excess capacity to fill in Spartansburg. It's better to slap together a down market SUV than to offer incentives on the hoods of the X3/5s to keep sales up and production rolling.

The only reason to buy a new BMW is perceived brand cachet and that disappears the moment they begin offering deals like you find on trucks and brands like Ford.

BMW, Mercedes and the like are so aggressive about pushing leases because most of their customers aren't rich and are willing to stretch beyond their normal means to get into their chosen brand. As mentioned, what BMW is doing today is what GM has always done to maintain sales volume, they're just smarter about it than GM.

Doing this also maintains a level of diversity among BMWs on the road and helps hide the fact that the 3 series is a mass produced volume mover on the same level as the Ford Focus.

Wheeee fucked around with this message at 22:55 on May 8, 2014

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Reminder that Porsche is the company which sells the cheaper to build hardtop version of their roadster at a significant premium because gently caress you and who intentionally cripple their smaller mid-engine cars so as to not drastically out-perform their intrinsically flawed halo car, all the while making more money per unit sold than any other manufacturer including Lamborghini.

Porsche largely exists for those who won't be seen in a lowly BMW but can't afford a Ferrari, they're one of the most successful examples of marketing and branding in the world.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

There's a pretty big gap between the Cayenne/Panamera/Macan and stuff like Priuses and smarts. It seems like most of the criticism is around "well, this car is not a 911, therefore bad."

Yea, the Prius is actually an awesome and fantastically practical car which has a solid reason for existing beyond stroking the ego of trophy wives.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

To be fair to Porsche they are the only German automaker whose build quality and reliability surpasses that of Hyundai.

I do sort of want the new GTi but I want a lot of things that are bad for me.

As to the Prius, it's one of, if not the, most efficient and reliable car you can buy. No the Golf diesel is not as efficient, it sure as poo poo isn't as durable or reliable and it isn't even as good for seating. I'd never buy a Prius but anyone hating on them is an idiot, it's an objectively great car.

Wheeee fucked around with this message at 19:50 on May 27, 2014

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

davebo posted:

A client of mine who used to have a C6 ZR1 came by the office the other day with a Ferrari 599. He says his next car is the C7 Z06. Apparently millionaires do cross-shop Corvettes against exotics.

"Millionaire" is a uselessly broad term, unless he's feeding a raging cocaine habit your doctor is a millionaire, as is Mitt Romney.

It should also be noted that most people buying cars like Ferraris aren't really enthusiasts, they're buying cachet.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Powershift posted:

dodge's long term plans change week to week. Chrysler is luxury dodge is mainstream and trucks and srt is performance and fiat is unique now ram is trucks and SRT is gone an dodge is performance and chrysler is mainstream and alfa is unique and fiat is mainstream and plymouth is quality control.

Also, everything is getting AWD, 10 speed transmissions, and a supercharged v8 or turbo i4 next year

Even in my early childhood years I understood that Chrysler products post-1972 were complete garbage and I've largely retained that bias through adulthood, yet with Toyota turning into GM, Honda turning into Toyota, "German engineering" being more punchline than prestige and GM continuing to be a corporate caricature worthy of a Verhoeven film I think Fiat Chrysler is on track to becoming my favourite major auto group.

Who knew that being bought by an Italian company helmed by a mercurial crazy person would work out so well?

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Fucknag posted:

Mazda's still putting out good products. :mad:

Now if only they had the volume to put out a proper batshit sports car again...

Mazda's my favourite car maker at the moment, I love them and may end up getting one next year if they offer the 2.5 with a manual in the 3, but they're also small potatoes as these companies go.

Ford is okay, I think they have some excellent specialty vehicles like the ST line, but outside of those I can't think of a Ford product I'd seriously consider over the Mazda or Honda equivalent.

dissss posted:

I'd take a Fiesta over a Fit, or a Focus over a Civic but yeah Mazda has better options in most brackets.

Fair enough, the new Fit and Civic are probably the best examples of Honda's decline. That said, the Fit really does have a more useful interior than the Fiesta if you're buying a cheap tiny car for practical purposes, if you're not buying base model then I'd always question why I didn't just spring for the Fiesta ST and for the price of a Focus with any goodies you may as well get a Civic Si. Lame as they may be compared to older Hondas the Fit and Civic will also hold value better and will be more reliable than the Ford equivalents.

In both cases I agree that Mazda's a better way to go though.

Wheeee fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jun 8, 2014

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Volvo's problem is that lots of companies make super-safe cars now thanks to the power of government regulations and that was really the only thing they had going for them.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

VikingSkull posted:

if you're shopping in that class for the best driver's car you should be executed

I'd smack anyone who touted its sporty capabilities

e- also Honda is currently leading the "interior made of the cheapest plastics" category

Heh, loving poors thinking they have any right to enjoy what they drive.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Just wait, twenty years from now Japanese cars will be relative shitheaps coasting along on a reputation for engineering excellence built decades in the past and everyone but Toyota fanboys in denial will recognize the Koreans as the global leaders in automotive engineering excellence.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

dissss posted:

I don't mean the premium brands, I mean regular cars. Its already happened for stuff like the Accord and Corolla.

Are the North American Accord, Corolla and others actually downmarket compared to what's offered overseas or are they just fatter to play to American tastes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

I wonder what the driving dynamics are like given the size and weight. A V8 Mustang with fat tires has always been a performance bargain in terms of going fast around a race track due to power and mechanical grip but even the current generation feels fat and kinda lovely to drive.

Mustang's value proposition has never actually been particularly enticing outside of the track, perhaps this new model will change that.