Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

DoesNotCompute posted:

I don't know what options you're talking about really, my '85 318i had power windows, central locking, sunroof, AC, power mirrors, shoulder belts in the back seat, independent rear, a 5 speed, full size alloy spare, tool kit in the trunk. Tons of stuff that none of my early-mid 80's cars of other makes had standard.

So does a 1985 Honda Prelude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Aside From the R8, I can literally not think of a reason other than image to buy an Audi. In addition, most of car buying public wants gay automatic Sedans and lame-rear end SUVs and crossovers; these are the facts, and no amount of whining on car forums is going to change this.

I don't really get this forum sometimes, it's not as if manufacturers don't offer relatively affordable performance cars (Miata, BRZ/FRS, Mustang) but there seems to be this call for every manufacturer to offer a Manual diesel RWD sportwagon with crank-up windows; despite the fact that nobody in North America has bought a wagon since 1993. If you want a performance car for a relatively affordable price, buy a coupe and kindly shut the gently caress up. Nobody wants non-premium sports sedans and wagons that aren't the EVO or STI.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Just call it a day and fold Infiniti back into Nissan. Retain the Skyline variants and the Fuga and drop everything else. Perhaps use more US/Euro-friendly model names.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Cat Terrist posted:

So probably losing the Territory for that.

Fuuuuuuck.

I honestly have no idea why Ford didnt design the current Territory for LHD conversion - they are a ridiculously good wagon and you have to be Lindsay Lohan type dumb not to sell em by the boatload in the USA.

The last time somebody bought a wagon in the USA was 1991.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

sean10mm posted:

The only comparable time would be like 1963-1971, when the Corvette weighed about 3,200lbs and could be had with fully independent suspension, 4 wheel vented disc brakes, limited slip differential, fuel injection, lightweight aluminum wheels, aluminum cylinder heads and engines up to 435 horespower (500+ if you count the hilarious/stupid L88 and ZL1.)

All Corvette's since the C4 have been comparable (if not better) to the 911 in terms of handling/braking performance, although you could make the case that until the ZR1 was revived the turbo versions of the 911 had it soundly beat in terms of power.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

BraveUlysses posted:

I don't understand why it's still being sold under 2 brands. Terrible idea.

It's actually sold under 3 brands. 86, GT-86, and FR-S. It's also a really bad idea.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Outside of a Z or GTR there isn't really a compelling reason to buy a Nissan, but perhaps this has always been the case. I have an S13 and in 1992 outside of the Z, SX, or Sentra SE-R what really would you buy? A loving Stanza?

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
So is the Accord, so is the CR-V. Just buy one of those, most do.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Kraftwerk posted:

I think this debate is hilarious. People poo poo on truck owners because they don't "need" the capabilities of the truck. Yet it's very likely you won't "need" the capabilities of most sports cars and premium sedans either! In the end both are more about how they make you feel and what you could do as opposed to what you actually do on a day to day basis.

If all these things bother you we might as well go back to driving Trabbys and Ladas.

Cool here is my reason;

Trucks are stupid and I hate them.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Whiz Palace posted:

Except the interpreters apparently made a mistake and the car was designed by Nissan and built by Alfa in southern Italy.

Instead of reliable Nissan mechanicals combined with Alfa's chassis magic they ended up with a car with Alfa mechanicals that drove like a Nissan Sunny.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Sadi posted:

Personally none of the new subarus do much for my. They look so drat boring. I miss the ugly old subarus with charm. First and second gen imprezas look the best. Everything after that got progressively less interesting. Current STI looks like a corolla with less spirit.

The 1G Impreza was cool but pretty conventional for a Subaru. The last batshit insane economy Subie was the Loyale.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

oRenj9 posted:

To be fair, truck styling is so boring that there's really not much to distinguish the brands.

Of course, crossovers are even worse about this yet the Rav4 doesn't have a big rear end TOYOTA badge on the back anymore.

I prefer "TOYOTA" to their 1991+ Logo. The Nissan and Mazda Logos also don't look great.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

CharlesM posted:

Bring back Ahura's flame

Yes. The '92 pointy version also looks good.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The Jag SUV has a dumb name.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
A warning to my American friends, do not buy a JDM import that was in Canada first (unless it's from out west, their cars tend to be in better shape bodywise). You don't want anything that has been in the Ontario/Quebec saltbath and owned by people with questionable mechanical skill and a very lassiez-faire attitude towards maintenance.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I've always been confused as to what the expectation of the 86/BRZ/FRS/GT86 was. It was supposed to be a homage to a massively underpowered 80s coupe, and it does it's job pretty well I think. It's also pretty easy to drive fast, and if I was looking for something new and affordable this, or a Miata, would be it. A price reduction would help (although it ain't terribly expensive), but I don't think more power would necessarily shift more units; it's a niche sports coupe. Ditto a shooting brake.

Human Grand Prix fucked around with this message at 17:44 on May 10, 2016

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Mitsubishi already was rebadging several Nissans so this makes sense. In addition, maybe the decade-old Lancer will finally be replaced.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Their old wave logo was cool in an 80s trapper-keeper sorta way. I've only ever seen 1 car with it though because I think it was used very, very briefly.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

KozmoNaut posted:

Maybe a dog cage? A selection of fine Ikea flat pack furniture? Bags and assorted luggage for 4 or 5 people going on vacation? A Leslie amp+speaker? A 24-channel mixing desk? A set of JBL JRX125 speakers? A couple of Fat Boy beanbag chairs? Literally hundreds of other things that people regularly load into their wagons or SUVs?

There have been plenty of situations where I've been annoyed that I bought a sedan instead of a wagon, more than enough that I've made up my mind that my next car will be a wagon (or a very roomy hatchback). The Leslie amp in particular just barely fit in the back seat, and I scraped up interior door handles manhandling it in and out of there.

Nobody in North America buys wagons. Anybody who says they would buy a wagon or want a wagon is lying. gently caress off with your stupid garbage crap vehicles that no-one cares about or buys here. Invest the money into actual sports cars please.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
"Why buy a good looking coupe when I can buy a dumpy looking pile of poo poo ?" - Internet car forums.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
It was a love letter to an underpowered 1980s Corolla. I'd say it's good for what it is. It's my next purchase.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I miss when cars were rectangles with lights or looked like a doorstop.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

yeah i mean back in the day for every 240z there's a thousand Pontiac 6000s

Between the years of 1978-1991/2 there were 4 types of bodystyle

- 2 rectangles
- 3 rectangles
- 1 rectangle
- Wedge

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Powershift posted:

Excuse me, there was a ton of variety in the 80s.

I wasn't complaining. 80s styling is basically perfect.

Also, the MA70 Supra is way, way better looking than the JZA80.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
2019 maybe. The FT-1 was a preview of it.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
GM makes good stuff I thought though?

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I would really like Hydrogen to be viable.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

wargames posted:

Why is it so heavy, and where the gently caress is my OPEL GT gm?

2900lbs. Is pretty drat good.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The RX-8 was a good car with a bad engine. Like are we seriously going to say the RX-8 was a bad driving car? Because that is a lie. It was pretty ugly until the last years of it's life though.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Whiz Palace posted:

Which car uglified the most over its production run? The Countach and E-Type must be leading contenders.

The last American Countaches are horrendous.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Your point is well taken that a majority of cars are still sold under names, though you're leaving out a few brands - Peugeot, Jaguar, Mazda, Citroen are all alphanumeric, and Fiat is a mix now.

I don't think there are any instances that I can recall of companies moving from alphanumerics back to named cars unless you want to count Fiat in the 1980s.

I think Mazda's home market models still use names.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

1500quidporsche posted:

I honestly think they're just waiting until most their north american contracts are up before pulling out. Hell Suzuki had a more interesting line up than Mitsubishi does now when they called time.

The Outlander EV is doing abnormally well in other markets. They may launch it here.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I hate wagons now and I hope they are all discontinued within the next 5 years.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I, preferably, would never want to hear about a wagon, or wagon shaped vehicle, again.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

1500quidporsche posted:

I just want Gordon Murray to make that flat pack truck. I'd buy the poo poo out of that.

That thing is so loving cool.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

leica posted:

I'd probably have a Mazda6 wagon right now if the mileage wasn't so horrible. Too bad they didn't offer them with the four cylinder.

I would probably have one too if it didn't have power windows, locks, mirrors, air conditioning, a radio, cloth seats (vinyls for this man), power steering, ABS, and was available in Metallic Chocolate Brown and also had the drivetrain from the Mazdaspeed 6. It preferably would also cost $5000.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

leica posted:

And three row SUV's are? They suck compared to a minivan in terms of getting kids in and out. For a large family the minivan is king whether AI likes it or not.

Vans are cool.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

leica posted:

Wow your taste in wagons suck. Maybe you should strive for a sedan like normal plebs.

In all seriousness it doesn't make sense that it got the V6 only; in every other market the 4 was available.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Deteriorata posted:

Miata fanboys shouldn't get too smug. Without the Fiat investment the ND probably wouldn't have happened.

?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I'm pretty sure the B13s had ABS available, at least in Canada. The GXEs could have them as an option. Strange it couldn't be retrofitted.