Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Muffinpox posted:

1) Putting yourself into financial debt for a depreciating asset is a bad idea.
2) If you're keeping it forever just buy something used that's like a year old and has already taken the driven off the lot depreciation, then spend the difference on a vacation.

Yeah come on man, go buy the used, year-old version of the car that isn't even available yet, don't be stupid!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
That's Civic pricing, so not really, unless everyone else has gone crazy too.

(So kinda yes)

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

iv46vi posted:

I notice a lot of Lexus wagon models something or other driving around recently. Anybody tried one out or have any idea why they are suddenly so popular?

Hybrids, man. I think the only wagons with a Lexus badge are hybrids right now. So think "People who want a Prius but want to be just a little more smug"

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I see a robot with a robo-'fro

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I haven't wanted a Ford product since I was 10 and wanted my dad's classic Mustangs, and I want one of these in that red, manual, with the 2.3 ecoboost.

Guess I need to start saving toward a down payment.

Edit: Actually in retrospect I'd never get it in my driveway with that front lip/that ground clearance. My current and previous three vehicles have all nose scraped like mad unless you find the perfect angle to come in and out and never deviate (and clearly I fail at it.)

PCOS Bill fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Dec 5, 2013

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Ziploc posted:

This is photoshopped to hell and back. My word.

Truly the first manufacturer's photo to have been heavily edited for advertising purposes. What IS this world coming to.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Throatwarbler posted:

Ford press release says the 3.5l TT engine will be in it. I'm surprised the 6.2l isn't going in too. Interior will be new as well.

I'm kind of curious why the Navigator never sold as well as the Escalade. On paper I think it tows more, has IRS, and was cheaper too. Is it just the styling? My main reservation about the current Navigator is that the greenhouse seems comically oversized compared to most other vehicles. Probably helps visibility though.

"Oh look a Ford rebadge."

"OOH CADILLAC!"

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I don't actually "like" either of these, but I like the Navigator better/dislike it less.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

DropShadow posted:

Just curious: When you say the Golf runs from under $20k to over $30k, are you including the GTI and Golf R in that range, or just the "Golf" itself? Personally (and maybe this is wrong) but I consider the GTI and R to be related but significantly different enough to not be included.

On the flip side, I haven't priced a Golf in a long time, but if you can indeed spec a Golf to over $30k and it's not a GTI, then that is just dumb and VW is dumb.

Well, the Golf TDI is $27k to start. $23k for the Golf with Convenience and Sunroof, regular gas. I hit $25.5k with options on that, so a TDI with all the options hits just a hair under $30k, yeah.

Just playing with the configurator, mind you.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

KakerMix posted:

If it doesn't come with a manual option though it's a no go, she demands a manual and a hatch or wagon which means we'll probably add another VW to the stable since they are the only ones offering.

There's always the Scion xB

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

My wife's has the 2.5L. It's a 30hp bump over the 2.0. I don't know if they're going to make it available on all trim levels, but she has an AWD Grand Touring. She really wanted to get a 2013, but I was leery about the 155hp. She had a CR-V with 160 and there were points where I just didn't feel safe driving it.

It's pretty sprightly with the 2.5L.

It's several hundred pounds lighter than a CR-V, and lighter than a first-gen Forester, which had ~160HP.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Mr. Wiggles posted:

great amounts of French style have been added.

Buddy, that is balls to the walls ugly.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

MrYenko posted:

I wanted a Golf or a JSW baaaad, but every dealer in the area looked at me like I had three heads when I asked them to order one with the 6spd manual. One salesman wasn't even aware they offered a manual in their cars anymore. I ended up with a Volt.

But really, gently caress Miami, is what I'm saying.

So you wanted a manual wagon/hatch type vehicle but ended up with a non-manual sedan. Your dealers probably knew they'd be wasting their time ordering it because you weren't dead-set on the car you wanted.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Hey you don't have to justify yourself to me.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

The Volt's a hatchback.

Sure. But not the same way a Golf is.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Does it only come in quad-cab? I'd like that in a single cab, full bed

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Just looks like every other generic sedan on the road to me

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I like the front end on the blue one over the red one by a mile.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Self driving cars are going to happen before this.

The heat death of the universe is going to happen before this.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

The Midniter posted:

What? Self-driving cars already exist. Like it or not, the days of piloting your own vehicle are numbered.

I wasn't responding to his statement, I was adding to it. The universe will end before people get smarter about driving.

And they'll take my self driving driving from my cold, dead hands.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I used to have a first gen Forester with that beautiful 3' sunroof and I miss it on beautiful days, and night driving with the wife.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
So it's another fast Golf. Wooo?

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

The Midniter posted:

My car came with a sunroof. I never ever ever use it. Maybe one time in the three years I've owned my car. On a whim, went to open it the other day and one of the gaskets just loving fell right out onto my head. gently caress people who don't take care of their cars.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I've never owned a car with working A/C and I get car sick if I don't have a window cracked. I'm that dude in the winter with a passenger window cracked with the heat blasting.

I was the guy in winter in PA with the top down on my convertible if it wasn't snowing. I miss my personal fleet having a topless option, but my wagon is way more practical. Sigh. Growing up sucks.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Bigass four door truck is half the vehicles on the road here in PA, too. Once I think I even saw someone with something in the bed!

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I just want a small truck about the size of the old Ranger or a little bigger, with a manual and a decent amount of OOMPH from the engine while also getting economy car levels of fuel economy.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I like the Mini though

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
My <long explanation of familial ties> has a 9 year old Prius with over 200k miles on it and all its taken is routine maintenance to get that far.

It's still an ugly little silver turd but it still gets 50+MPG routinely.

A new Civic starts at $18.3k sticker (28/36), the Prius C at $19k (53/46), I can't imagine if you're into the base model car that it would take that much longer to make up the difference on the Prius

PCOS Bill fucked around with this message at 18:26 on May 27, 2014

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

bull3964 posted:

Ring a city center at a 7 mile radius with parking lots and stations to get on some of these and then forbid vehicles inside the city.

You could get anywhere inside the city within 15 minutes and never had to worry about parking or anything. Congestion would be a thing of the past.

Yeah gently caress all those people who live in the city, they have no right to keep their vehicle at their homes.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Cocoa Crispies posted:

In many places you already don't, especially if your home predates automotive culture or simply wasn't built with an idiotic amount of space dedicated to storing a vehicle. If you live in NYC, Chicago, San Francisco, metro DC, or one of the many cities worldwide with popular and functional public transit, owning a vehicle is waaay more expensive than a transit pass and the occasional Uber.

I live in a city, 2m+ metro population, not just some little bumfuck technically-a-city. Walking distance from dahntahn, even for a chubby guy. Way under 7 miles, hardly even two, less as the crow flies. I don't just have room to park, I have a driveway that can hold a handful of cars and a two car garage. If suddenly X miles from the "city center" became a no-car zone everyone around me would be completely screwed over. There's maybe one single car household in a stone's throw from me.

A yearly bus pass that'll take you anywhere in the city is over $1600, and the bus system is, at best, subpar.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

bull3964 posted:

We have a park and ride off of a functionally useless HOV lane. If I could drive the 3 miles to that park and ride and then take a drone directly to my destination downtown, I would actually go downtown more often.

As it stands, a bus ride off that park and ride takes about 40 minutes to get to, say, the convention center. One of these drones could do it in 12 minutes and take me directly to my destination on my own schedule. There's no overstating how massively useful that would be.

Because they are always in motion, parking downtown becomes a non issue. This would be a boon for residents because not only would local businesses do better, it would be easier to get around on bikes since all existing business district street parking could be converted to bike lanes.

That's nice. For you.

I'd rather drive. I've never had trouble parking downtown, even on Liberty in the middle of the day.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

SouthLAnd posted:

How can you argue with that?

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

fknlo posted:

Good luck with that. I'm imagining $10k markups minimum.

I'd be interested, but it's not the kind of car I'm looking for. I'd definitely take a C7 or even a Z28 over it.

I remember the first year of the C6 I was living in a small town, happened to look online and saw there was one on the lot at my local dealer walked into their showroom just to take a look at one in person out of curiosity, there was a huge sticker on the windshield that said something along the lines of "MSRP $XX,XXX + $25,000 markup due to rarity, YOU WON'T FIND ANOTHER IN THE STATE!!!!!!!"

I just can't imagine how that works as a marketing technique, especially in a small town. "Spend twice what you did on your house on this Chevrolet!!!!"

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Fayez Butts posted:

Listen, it's better than the old Fortwo, and the PT Cruiser, and the Aztek.

Nope, nope, and nope. Worse than all three

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Wheeee posted:

The car will still be a Mazda and probably even made on the same production lines, just with an SRT engine and if there's one thing Chrysler does better than Mazda it's engines, especially from the SRT group.

How about transmissions?

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Throatwarbler posted:

Chrysler doesn't make any manual transmissions so unless you were shopping for an automatic miata it's not particularly relevent?

So it only matters to the typical consumer?

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Powershift posted:

Sure, they make a diesel hybrid e-class that does 70mpg,

Must not be available in America

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I'll buy a Miata the day their interiors are sized for adults.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

mobby_6kl posted:

You guys loved the GLA, right? Because you'll really like this as well:

Say hello to the Q3, yours for about 32k!

I kinda like it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

eyebeem posted:

Thanks to you, new car thread, I have placed a deposit on the completely absurd Polaris Slingshot. Delivery expected in mid October, just before my daughter is due to be born. I have yet to inform the woman of the house.

RIP