Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

oRenj9 posted:

GM hosed their chances for a hybrid truck a decade ago.

Edit: with this turd

Replying to an old post but I have to say, that decal makes me (and did when it was new) angry in a way I can't put words to

GM earned its bankruptcy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

my childhood infatuation with the 4x4 AMC Eagle means I'm probably the only person who actually thinks the BMW X6 looks awesome

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Volvo's Seven Shades of Grey

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

KakerMix posted:

Is GM going to ever go to the Transit/Sprinter style? Around where I am every work van is a Transit, Sprinter or sometimes the Chrysler one that's ugly but a similar build style. They just seem so much more practical than the old style Express or Econoline.

They make a little one: http://www.chevrolet.com/city-express-small-cargo-van.html

A big one is probably inevitable.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Didn't GM design a really good straight six for the Trailblazer that they could chop one or two cylinders off for smaller vehicles, then close that plant and stop making them?

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I just use cruise control as much as possible

it's cool

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

All modern CUVs owe their existence to the Aztek

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

I think you mean the Subaru Forester.

that's a modern AMC Eagle

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

The Aztek's only sin was being hideously ugly. It's just a minivan without sliding doors.

It and the Avalanche were both the product of some GM designer who could probably only get an erection from black plastic.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Also it's a gmt bof chassis so technically not a cuv

Rip hummer, what cuvs may have come - thanks Obama

we'll never get the Equinox-based H4

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Gas prices will never be high again! :downs:

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

KakerMix posted:

I don't want to have to park such a giant thing tho so

Edit

I have been starting to lust after bricknose Fords tho

Good news!

https://owner.ford.com/how-tos/vehicle-features/convenience-and-comfort/active-park-assist.html

(I don't think the automatic parking is available on those trucks yet, but it probably will be sooner or later)

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I see lots of Ford Fusions and Edges out there and that chrome slab grille they had just looks so awful.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Not all pickups are driven by crazed redneck yahoos

But all crazed redneck yahoos drive pickups

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Then what about Jeeps and old Camaros?

That's their second car.

(cars 3-7 are rusting in the yard)

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

My dad spent years going to car auctions trying to find a manual trans Lincoln LS. He gave up on that eventually.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Throatwarbler posted:

Bob Lutz harps on endlessly about making Corvette a brand in the rest of the world. There will definitely be a Corvette Sierra, Corvette Tahoe and Corvette Equinox before you see a Corvette sedan though.

I could see the normal Vette, a mid-engine supercar, and maybe a tiny roadster like the Saturn Sky (RIP) and any more than that and the brand is worthless

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Powershift posted:

Would GM really do such a thing?

GM can be trusted to always make a bad decision and run it into the ground

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I remember seeing pictures of a 4-door Wrangler concept in like 1995 or so. Chrysler could have printed money selling it then, during peak SUV. Idiots.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

We're more in the era of making AWD minivans and marketing them as SUVs now

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Popular Mechanics once turned a Roadmaster into an Impala SS wagon, I though that was pretty cool in 1995

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Cadillac and Buick are old people cars and always will be. No one young will ever want them and GM really should give up on that.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

My dad bought a CTS as a 65th birthday present to himself.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

big money big clit posted:

Nobody drives sedans, especially large ones, which is why "Cadillac needs to make a big v8 sedan, it's what they're known for" is such a weird argument. That's a market that barely exists, why dump money into it?

So they can put the bodywork from it on a heavy duty truck chassis with ballistic windows and keep the Presidential Limo market on lock.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Young people drive 15 year old Tauruses and Malibus and Camrys and Accords because young people don't have money.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Some 20-30 year olds do indeed have the money for new cars (or don't care about debt) and they either buy pickup trucks, dumb sports cars, or good cars, not Buicks.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

davebo posted:

Yeah I don't think Toyota says you can tow with any of the Prius models but if I had one I'd probably throw a tow bar on it to use those bike racks that hook into them. I always liked those but never put a tow bar on my car because they're pretty ugly, but Priuses come pre-uglied so no harm done.

The Japanese version of the normal Prius is rated to tow 1250 pounds IIRC and I think the only difference with the American model is they don't trust us to actually stay within those limits. With the right hitch installed, they should be able to tow a little trailer no problem. A bike rack would ruin the aerodynamics but whatever.

FuturePastNow fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jun 24, 2017

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

KakerMix posted:

Isn't this a common thing? It's the North American market that doesn't get tow ratings on the same vehicles that are sold with them overseas. This is highlighted by old top gear episodes when they knock caravaning and all the cars towing around trailers that you "can't" tow with in the US.

Yep. It's probably a liability thing. Maybe they also figure a load of whale-like Americans will max out the GVWR already.

Hnng that wagon. We need some cool wagons again.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

KakerMix posted:

Black plastic cladding can loving bite me.

Yeah, the plastic fender flares and the "chrome" trim piece that runs across the top of the doors down to the taillights really ruin the looks.

I guess it wouldn't be GM if they didn't design what could be a really nice car and then let their styling department poo poo on it.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

The current Explorer is the Taurus wagon.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

The Ford Flex concept looked a lot like the final product except it had a weirder interior and suicide doors.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I like utilitarian boxes, so I thought my '92 Explorer looked pretty good. Until it turned into rust.

I do like the new Explorers, though. Wonder how long until used ex-police Utilities start getting auctioned off?

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

angryhampster posted:

What's in the police package on those?

http://autoweek.com/article/chicago-auto-show/2016-ford-police-interceptor-set-chicago-auto-show

quote:

Ford’s 3.7-liter V6 producing 304 hp and 279 lb-ft is standard, while an available 3.5-liter EcoBoost V6 makes 365 hp and 350 lb-ft. All-wheel drive is standard. The standard six-speed automatic has what Ford calls Pursuit Mode, automatically switching from normal/fuel-saving operation to Pursuit Mode when it detects aggressive driving situations. It then produces quicker upshifts and downshifts, returning to normal mode when it senses the aggressive driving is complete.

Heavy duty equipment includes suspension, cooling, brakes and powertrain mounts; the front doors have ballistic shields inside.

And from Mr. Regular: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPSsQ6b7pGg

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Powershift posted:

I would bet bumper to hood it's similar to the old c60/c70s

I get a laugh out of car sites calling this "sleek"

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

ExplodingSims posted:

At long last, I finally understand what non-elucidian looks like:

it looks like a Guild navigator

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Are all the full-size pickup trucks designed by focus groups of Bros and other douchebags now?

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

The Bronco will presumably also have a Raptor version.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I know what's wrong with the VW Atlas, it's made by illiterates in Tennessee

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I don't know why they keep making truck beds higher off the ground with each model.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

The Malibu is a commuting appliance and always has been.