Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

C-Bangin' it

Powershift posted:

The 5.0s are obviously nowhere near as bad as the 5.4s, but they still have weird piston issues that can lead to piston slap and oil burning. the 5.2 voodoo burns oil like crazy, and will probably have a recall for it.

Sorry, Ford giving a recall on an engine issue is a basically a lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

C-Bangin' it

Powershift posted:

truck numberwang alive and well.

New Silverado HD stats:

All new 6.6 gas v8, 401hp, 464 ft/lbs, 6 speed auto only direct injection
6.6 duramax, 445hp, 910ft/lbs 10 speed auto
35,500lb max towing(ram is a pathetic 35,100lbs)

e: They're calling the 10 speed an Allison even though it's the same transmission as ford.

https://media.chevrolet.com/media/u...do-hd-2020.html

And about everyone bitches towing their fifth wheel because it sits so high.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

C-Bangin' it

rdb posted:

You can go to a volume ford dealer and pick up a new f250 xl with the 6.7, crew cab, 4x4, aluminum body, coil sprung front suspension that rides way better than the 7.3 leaf springs with a 100k warranty for $45k. It will still have cruise, bluetooth, air conditioning, a radio, backup camera, power windows and it will start first try on a cold morning. Maybe you own a business or a farm and can write it off. If the emissions stuff worries you can buy a delete kit. But chances are it will live to at least the same 200k that the 7.3 has, emissions intact. Probably longer because it wonít be rusted through after 20 years of farm duty and still worth maintaining. Neither truck is going to be cheap to own or easy to work on, but thats any diesel ford pickup.

I was actually going to say you were full of something on that $45K price but my god you were right.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

C-Bangin' it

Flyinglemur posted:

Am I too late for button chat because the other day I looked into a Porsche Macan and welp

That's the best picture I could find but the GTS model I was looking at seemed to have all of those blanks filled with switches and whatnots as well.

That honestly doesn't seem half bad...a lot of those buttons are for seats and climate control.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

C-Bangin' it

drgitlin posted:

Itís the same in every new car and donít worry, no one knows if youíre supposed to pull or push it to engage/disengage.

Yes. I looked like an idiot (which is usual) when I drove my BIL's Mazda. To me it looked like a toggle switch but it was a push/pull deal.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

C-Bangin' it

Yes, it would be cool (no pun intended) to flip up a cover switch to change the cockpit temp.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

C-Bangin' it

Unfortunately the touchscreen is a $10K option.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

C-Bangin' it

Powershift posted:

Naw, it's good that it's a $10,000 option because it sucks

It's bad that it's part of the $10,000 option package that is the only way to get cruise control and aluminum wheels.

Or pull a BMW and charge a subscription fee for Car Play.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

C-Bangin' it

CornHolio posted:

I've given serious thought to a used Cayenne.

Heh, to be honest I wish they would do something batshit crazy and go with an Expedition/Tahoe sized vehicle.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

C-Bangin' it

I have to imagine the Ascent's transmission will be puking fluid out towing 5K on a minor grade.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

C-Bangin' it

Enterprise has less options.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

C-Bangin' it

Cracks me up comparing the modern Elantra to it from the early 90's.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

C-Bangin' it

bull3964 posted:

It's a popular talking point in certain circles, but it doesn't really track.

Cars are increasing in cost at about half the rate of inflation since 1953. If you have an issue with new car prices, don't parrot stuff about emissions and safety equipment increasing prices, instead ask why wages have been stagnant for the past few decades.

Yep, pretty much. Stagflation has been a bitch. Hence 84 month loans.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

C-Bangin' it

stevobob posted:

Yo, I'm watching savagegeese review the 2020 Silverado and this poo poo could go in the Terrible Car Stuff thread. One of the big draws for me to the Silverado/Sierra is the absolutely colossal engine bay, making everything easy to access, maintenance without struggle, no fiddly angle problems because the engine bay is cavernous coimbined with the smaller size of the cam-in-block engine. Apparently they decided to make the 2020 Silverado shittier, because check out its miniscule by comparison engine bay here at 7:24:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2j-FumXsSpQ

That cross member looks like it's 18" back from the front of the grill. The side support members on the sides angle in, shrinking the engine bay more towards the front. Everything is way more packed in there and inaccessible. I can't believe how much worse that looks. The rear of the engine is tucked under the windshield cowling! This is so much worse than the previous several generations! But the interior is so large is not a tradeoff. This is poo poo.

edit: This assessment of the Silverado is based solely on my history of attempting to handle all maintenance myself. Ignoring all other aspects of any vehicle, one of the most important factors in considering a vehicle for me is ease of maintenance. I can deal with low power, high fuel consumption, compromises in comfort, missing features and more. I cannot deal with manufacturers making things harder for me to work on.

Heh, is step one of changing plugs or anything else "Remove cab"?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

C-Bangin' it

Twerk from Home posted:

The entirety of scheduled maintenance before 100k on modern cars is oil changes and engine and cabin air filters now, I don't see why people that buy cars new worry about this stuff at all. I've even seen manuals recommending 150k miles before first spark plug replacement. All the coolant says 100k miles / 6 years before first change too.

Yeah...

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

C-Bangin' it

ilkhan posted:

I will readily admit Ford and good transmissions don't go together very often.

Understatement of the year.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

C-Bangin' it

90s Solo Cup posted:

*cries in air suspension*

Raises a glass to yours...cries in hydraulic suspension.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

C-Bangin' it

Liquid Communism posted:

"Infotainment"

This will be interesting. I asked this to someone a couple decades ago. " So if any of these shitboxes actually become collectible, how would they be judged at say some concourse event?" Took him a while and basically said "emulation".

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

C-Bangin' it

KillHour posted:

The weirdos who treat cars like museum pieces will have old damaged circuit boards repaired by hand.

True, hell that industry has been in place since '84 or so.

Now you have a giant flat screen in your "rare" car. How would it be judged in 50 years when you can't get the parts nor repair them.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

C-Bangin' it

Godzilla07 posted:

My condolences to you and your partner for living with the GLA, the worst new car you can buy in America today.

I was given one a couple years ago as a loaner. I knew it was hosed when the first words out of the service advisor's mouth was "Let me start on about how this transmission..."

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

C-Bangin' it

Godholio posted:

I honestly thought Mitsubishi had stopped selling cars in the US.

So has the HQ. I'm sure at the board meeting someone once every few years ask "What the hell is this line item?"

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

C-Bangin' it

Dear god that s class is bad.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

C-Bangin' it

Midjack posted:

If you're going to drive a Lamborghini truck get an LM002 or get the gently caress out.

Yeah, strapping the V12 into that thing to run through the desert with a machine gun strapped on was pretty cool. And they also tossed it into a hydroplane.

One of the funny things I find is with the Countach and the LM002 are owners trying to acquire tires. Owners hanging off of Pirelli's jockstrap waiting for them to crank out a new batch of original p-zeros or Scorpions.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

C-Bangin' it

So how is the Porsche service department experience?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

C-Bangin' it

Huge_Midget posted:

something that doesnít look like a meth addictís half finished origami project.

Gotta give you props.

My challenge this week is to somehow use this phrase in a conversation.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

C-Bangin' it

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I've never understood the fascination with the 300ZX

Combination of a number of things. Teenager into cars, twin turbos, sporty looks at the time. Plus you had the 3000GT VR4 around too for all out craziness.

In short, guess something different that struck a chord.

As for the Buick comments I have to laugh about the midwest one. If I drive over a mile I'll spot a Buick.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

C-Bangin' it

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

don't see how the 3000GT has anything to do with why people like the 300ZX

I like the styling of the 300ZX but everything I've heard aligns with what CT said - not special to drive

Nostalgia I guess I could shorten it with. Hell you had the Supra running around that time as well.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

C-Bangin' it

LeeMajors posted:

Come Undone slaps and ill not hear a bad word about it. Also lots of their other poo poo, but especially Come Undone.

I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

Strap me in a FD and have that play.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

C-Bangin' it

90s Solo Cup posted:

Yamaha. A slutty engine maker who's been under more hoods than you thought.

Slutty but sexy with the SHO.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

C-Bangin' it

Frond posted:

Itís the Mazda 929 all over again.

That had a Miller cycle engine right?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

C-Bangin' it

Q_res posted:

Yeah the Millenia had a Miller cycle, what made the 929 interesting was that it was RWD. Well that and that the early 929 could be had with a Rotary, but not in the US.

Thank you for the correction. I stand corrected.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

C-Bangin' it

Cripes, that MB MBUX thing, was that an Onion article?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

C-Bangin' it

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

bring back the 85mph speedo rule imo

Yeah, with the 55 mark circled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

C-Bangin' it

Dear god, the day where the car nags me more than the wife when I park the car.