Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Powershift posted:

Browsing motor trend at 2am, as i often do, and i ran across their review of the 2011 GMC sierra 2500HD when something struck me.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/trucks/1012_2011_gmc_sierra_2500hd_work_truck_test/specs.html

Curb weight 6522 lb
0-60 mph 5.9 sec
Quarter mile 14.8 sec @ 91.3 mph

That's as quick as pretty much any current v6 auto pony car. Something that weighs 6522lbs. drat.
It gets 11mpg in realistic driving settings. Imagine how much it burns through during that 1/4 mile run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

BoostCreep posted:

Is that officially an Integra? It's called the ILX concept on Acura's website. Those door handles look really awkward to me. Something about how low on the door and close together they are due to the weird body lines.
Those handles are probably waist high already.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Hashal posted:

Where's all the NSX talk after the superbowl commercial?
Perhaps nobody cares about the hybrid definitely-not-supercar, just sport-looking-thing they keep changing the story about? After years worth of blue balls and speculations, we should probably wait for some solid numbers before picking up that discussion.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Hey look, we're discussing the NSX!

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Sagebrush posted:

First, there are plenty of people like myself who are not professional mechanics but can do the majority of the work their car requires themselves; second, some people might want to learn these things, and preventing them from doing it for their own good or whatever is just retarded.
By doing the work yourself, you are not paying money to the dealership service center. Why in the world would they help themselves lose money? It pays to keep the car as inaccessible as possible so you're forced to go back. Some manufacturers go as far as to design special fasteners and service items that could not be removed/accessed without dealership-specific tools.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Google goes NASCAR
http://www.google.com/racing/

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Throatwarbler posted:

"That's a pretty cool ________________ I guess, if they made it with a turbo engine, manual transmission, AWD, blue paint, gold wheels and priced it $4k cheaper than a WRX I would totally buy one..."
Edited to cover any thread in AI, period. The Toyobaru discussion had those clowns coming out of woodwork in droves.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Not another staple goony post about how every car should be available with turbo, manual, AWD and pick-and-choose luxury options for a price of an econobox. At least once per week, like clockwork.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Linedance posted:

just for perspective, here's a typical two-way suburban street in west London at Google-Car o'clock when it isn't particularly busy.

There are wider, and quieter streets around if you look for them, but your resident permit probably wouldn't let you park there anyway.
This looks just like my street in Philadelphia, however we do have tiny cramped garages out in the back alley. It was an actual suburb when they build it in 1950. It's interesting to note that neighborhoods that were built in 60-70's are much wider, supposedly to accommodate the bigger cars and delivery vehicles.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Weinertron posted:

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/09/11/2012-tesla-model-s-first-drive-review-video

So the first couple Tesla Model S have been delivered to customers. This is the first real write-up I've seen about one. The Roadster was a Lotus with an electric drivetrain jammed in, which doesn't really prove that Tesla is able to put together a car. I like the looks of the production Model S a ton, it looks like a Jag crossed with a Panamera, but good. It's a good thing that they have a gigantic power option, because 4,647 lbs is quite porky, even for a full size sedan.
Saw one casually parked on a street in Philadelphia about 2 weeks ago. Not in a wealthy neighborhood either. It was some sort of gunmetal metallic color and I thought it was a Maserati at first. Holy poo poo, it's a gorgeous, gorgeous car.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

thesurlyspringKAA posted:

I got to test drive the first C-Max delivered to a Las Vegas dealership, about 2 hours after it rolled off the truck, and 15 minutes after they detailed it. It is a very impressive car! Drives well, peppy...enough, great indicated mileage, solid feel, nice interior, quiet, and spacious as HELL! I could definitely see myself owning one next model year or so.
Your casual post made me think that everyone here knows what C-Max is, and feeling left out, I've googled the name. Is it Mazda5 with a Ford badge or is there more to it? Is that the actual model name they chose? Seemax?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Couple years back a goon made a thread about buying an F350 short bed and manual transmission for like 16k brand new. Not a typical price, but the Dodge truck is a ripoff at 24k.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Is someone seriously defending Dodge trucks? The loving things are designed to look good on paper, see the 200 lbs higher tow rating. When it comes to the daily grind, and I mean being used as a truck, not driving Joe Accountant to his office job, they don't come close to Ford/GM/Toyota offerings.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Cakefool posted:

I like to think you're taking about the previa :v:

...mid engine, supercharged, Toyota reliability :)

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

2ndclasscitizen posted:

What is hot shotting?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ih78dz2XyLc

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
This was on during a superbowl, a Mercedes CLA commercial
http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/benz/innovation/future#landing

As you can see, they're making a turbo 4 cylinder C class that starts at 30k. That's 5 grand cheaper than the base C class right now. It's a beautiful car alright, but I wonder where are the savings come from. What corners were cut to make this happen?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Hog Obituary posted:

Response from John Broder (NY Times) regarding Musk's challenge to the Model S review in the Times:
http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/02/14/that-tesla-data-what-it-says-and-what-it-doesnt/

It seems to me like there's some blame to spread around on both sides. The article is not as much of a hatchet job as Musk makes it out to be, but Broder seems to display some (ok, a lot of) willful ignorance. It also seems like the folks Broder talked to on the phone at Tesla were not the most knowledgeable.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Drunken Lullabies posted:

I would never trust it personally. I've had a few situations where an accident was avoided by lining up 2 near misses. Any sort of lane correction or slight change in steering output would have caused an accident. Now, for your average driver on the other hand....

Also keep in mind I don't like traction and stability control either so there's that. I feel more in control losing traction once in a while than the sensation of loss of control you get from using a tc/sc system you aren't intimately familiar with (ex rental cars)

Your post reminds me of all the people, who claim that they would be dead, if wearing a seatbelt in case of an accident. What you're talking about is perception of safety, which often does not correlate with empirical data.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
US didn't get any performance Subaru models until it was already established as a reliable, rugged and safe vehicle, that does very well in the snow and ice. People who buy 99% of it's lineup don't give a poo poo about Collin McRae, ram riders or Gran Turismo. There is data for this, why is anyone even arguing about it?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Devyl posted:

The Holden Ute SS-V :getin:

It takes on the 'Ring. I want it in the US so bad right now.

It's not a truck. It's a car with a short bed.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Augmented Dickey posted:

Jesus, it looks more Civic-esque than the Acura ILX. Which is a Civic.
Of course it does, because it's a picture of a Civic with VW badge. That's what "render" means.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

DropShadow posted:

It's a bit more than that.
Why even give a poo poo? It has absolutely no connection to the actual vehicle designed by manufacturer. It never does. But those artistic concepts usually draw commentary as if it's an actual product, giving them unneeded credibility.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
When Chevy changed it's lineup sometime in 2009, they still had shitload of unsold lat year models sitting on the lot. The sales manager straight up asked what I want to pay for one of those.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
My favorite Lowtax quote, circa 2002:
"On the internet, nobody could be sure if you're a dog, but they could easily tell if you're an rear end in a top hat"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Throatwarbler posted:

Because opening up the throttle and going into open loop needlessly burns up fuel?
That is honestly why I do it. Going from 12mpg to 14mpg is a world of difference.