Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Subways Jared posted:

I'm in DFW and I see the same. It makes me wonder why I see so FEW Dodge Challengers (new ones obviously). With the big three, I notice Lots of Mustangs, some Camaros, and barely any at all, Challengers. In my opinion, it looks the best of the 3. Is it drastically overpriced, or underpowered compared to the others, or something?
They're hundreds of pound heavier than Camaro, not to mention the even ligher Mustang.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Phone posted:

Last gen Celicas weren't basically just corollas with 2 doors.

The LS400 debuted in 1989, and the SC300/400 in 1991. So according to you, Lexus only had their poo poo together for 2 years when they were selling one car trying to break into the American luxury car market. Gotcha.

I think he meant the SC430. :shrug:

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I shopped for Kias/Hyundais against some other brands and they're just Toyotaish. I bought a Mazda 3 instead of an Elantra GT because it was better to drive and within $1000. It gets much better fuel economy too.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

bull3964 posted:

I just weigh the interest rate vs finance length and take the longest length that doesn't incur a significant interest rate hike.

Car will get paid off early regardless. There's just no reason to tie up my cash unnecessarily.

I'm with you on that. I have 2.1% interest on my car loan currently.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I always found it annoying that the newer WRXs lacked the VLSD in the back. I loved the way my 05 felt out of a corner.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Wheeee posted:

Honestly, if parking and maneuvering in tight city streets isn't a concern, trucks and SUVs are the poo poo. Comfortable to get in and out of, great view outwards due to ride height, greater safety in most accident scenarios due to that greater ride height. Seriously, if you do a lot of highway travel (Up here in Canadaland and I imagine much of America) animals are a legit safety concern which are largely ameliorated by driving a truck or SUV.

gently caress parking the god drat things though.
What you want is a minivan. Unless you need to move several people and tow poo poo, don't buy a goddamn SUV.

quote:

greater safety in most accident scenarios due to that greater ride height
lol. They have much lower active safety ability due to lack of maneuverability and mass.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
125HP and 1900lbs sounds ok to me. Bump that to 150? :getin:

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Subaru already has direct injection 2.0 turbo 4s in the FA20F they could just put in it.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
The Miata looks like fun. I think I'll test drive one eventually and smash all the bugs into my forehead. Wonder if it's as fun as my NB was?

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
TODAY IS YOUR LUCKY DAY!

http://shop.weaponsgradeperformance.com/products/wgp-brz06-frs-brz-ls-swap-kit

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
All of GM's problems from before are still mostly the same problems. Any engine from GM's parts bin seems pretty good-to-great these days.

I don't know why everyone doesn't get switchgear from whoever Toyota buys it from.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I have found that I don't really like power seats very much and miss the much faster manual ones in the Mazda 3. I would love to get a set of heated manual seats for my E46.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Volvo seats are incredible.

Agreed. I drove Toplitzin's S60R 1300 miles over ~18 hours with basically zero fatigue. It was amazing.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Christobevii3 posted:

Why not force all passenger vehicles to same standards and only allow acceptance of 3500 and above some difference.

I dunno why. Just make sure car/truck of year X meets emissions standards for year X. If you pass the sniff test you pass. Everything else is dumb bullshit.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I'm convinced Honda doesn't know how to make an automatic.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Dislike button posted:

The Japanese seem to really want all their cars to look like insects
Anime should have told you this.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
What's bad about Mazda?

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

The Sicilian posted:

Does Ford seem like one of the best consistently managed car companies to anyone else? I haven't owned one since I was teenager, but they appear to be killing it segment wise in some aspects lately?

Lincoln seems to have been an afterthought since the 70s and doesn't seem to have recovered. They do seem to be alright on almost everything else.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

MechaFrogzilla posted:

Knowing the kind of person who would try this, I'm honestly not surprised it wasn't playing hentai.

If they were automated tentacles maybe.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
They're killing the Viper after this year or next, right?

I've heard rumors that they're killing the Lx platform cars too (300, Charger, Challenger) too.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
It'll be interesting to see how GM reacts. I wouldn't be surprised if Ford drops V8s after this generation or the next given the proliferation of turbo V6s through the lineup, although the Coyote does have design provisions to use direct injection and hasn't yet. Chrysler? Who the hell knows, we're not even sure if they're going to be making a car going forward. BMW/Merc/Audi all have big enough cars/luxury SUVs that they probably will keep V8s in the lineup for a while. Toyota seems to be pretty happy with getting multi-cycles (Atkinson and Otto) out of the dual injector tech plus hybrids. Nissan has been doing direct injection for a while and only seem to have V8s in luxury + trucks.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Infiniti's alphanumeric soup used to mean something. Now it's nonsense.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Mental Hospitality posted:

This kind of slipped under my radar, but Hyundai is going to sell a sport model of their new Elantra with a 200hp 1.6l turbo 4 and a choice of 6MT or 7 speed DCT. Winding Road posted videos of them scooting around some streets in a DCT version, and a manual version on a short autocross course. Hyundai also replaced the torsion beam rear end with a multi-link setup.

The interior isn't a swoopy mess anymore either.

I am strangely intrigued by this car.

I've never driven a Hyundai that didn't have an awful shifter.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Monkey Fracas posted:

The best auto systems have been better than manuals for a long time at this point but how long have like more cheapo autos, something that would be shoved into an entry level compact, been better than a competent manual driver?

Regardless driving a manual still feels better to me than driving a rental Altima with a CVT or whatever

Yeah, but how much do those cost? GM's implementation of the new 10 speed auto is slower than a manual in situations with corners. Sure, the PDK is stellar but you gotta buy a Porsche to get one.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

MrOnBicycle posted:

Speaking of Mazda, anyone know what they sound insulation plans for the 6 is? Oh and when the hell are they going to put in Android Auto? 2 things that stop Mazda 6 from being an almost perfect car IMO.

If you get the infotainment system you can hack Android Auto in easily.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Wait, huh? Does this apply to '15s as well or only the new ones with the weird "tablet-slammed-into-the-dashboard" look?

That's been the look for a while. It does have to have the full display:

https://mazdatweaks.com/

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Aside from being slow, the Mazda 3 is very engaging to drive, but I hear Honda has outdone themselves with the new Civic. I'd drive both and see what you like.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Kraftwerk posted:

Just for your reference, the 2017 Civic 1.5T with the CVT has the same or slightly better performance than the outgoing SI model.
It's a very good car for the money

Edit: My friend tells me that a lot of the issues with the 2.0TFSI engine have been fixed with the Mk7 GTI so I'm looking at getting one. Can I trust that I'll finally be able to drive one for many miles and years or will I be horribly let down and wishing I got the Civic?

Don't believe VW's lies.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

tetrapyloctomy posted:

That is a nauseatingly fast lap. Jesus.

I'm watching it and it looks like a sped up video except for the clock in the lower center. :perfect:

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

cis autodrag posted:

I don't care about ventilating, but I want something overstuffed and comfy because my commute is long and stupid.

Buy a Volvo

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

eyebeem posted:

Commuting in traffic with a MT is a garbage experience and way worse than having an automatic. I've had commutes that involved an hour and a half of sitting in stop and go, and I've done that with both types of transmission. It's night and day.

I don't agree. I got bored with an auto. And I was a courier in Miami traffic.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

prom candy posted:

This looks like something a sassy squirrel would drive in a Dreamworks movie.

This is disturbingly spot on.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Cellular Suicide posted:

They hit this on the head for us, and the article sums it up well. Our Outback is the perfect size for two kids and a stroller with all the shopping we need, or add a skybox for a week’s worth of camping gear. We cross-shopped SUVs and bought the Outback because my wife grew up with one and I loved my old Forester. We probably don’t need a third row SUV, but it will be hard to say no if this one is even remotely decent.

I went "hummm tows 5k? I can put a car behind that easy..."

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

EnergizerFellow posted:

GM has a top-exit supercharger with the heat exchangers are above/beside and part of the screw casing in the LC3/LSA/LS9/LT4, along with Chrysler on the Hellcat, but doing it in an on-road turbocharged application like this is new, near as I can tell. Even with top-mount Subaru and Mazda applications you still have a pretty conventional looking heat exchanger that is separate from the intake and not part of the intake itself.

Interestingly, I can find some examples of marine and locomotive turbo diesels with intercoolers built into the intake, but nothing on-road that I'm aware of.

Marine is really easy since you should have a steady source of fresh coolant at all times.

V8s and V6s are packed in such a way that this approach makes sense.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I've found the thoughts that go through women's heads about cars are thus;

Is it reliable?
Is it safe?
Is it quiet?
Does the heater work?
Can I move the seat far enough back to put my feet on the dashboard when driving long distance?

Most women think Miatas are cute, but a puppy works best.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Depends on where you live.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
How does it weigh 4k lbs?

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Q_res posted:

How the gently caress is that a surprising number for a mid-size crossover with a twin-turbo V6 and AWD in 2018?

Because my 2013 Outback, which is a goddamn cavern inside, weighs 3600.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

EnergizerFellow posted:

I so wonder how they set the belt tension on that water pump though. Mildly surprised they didn't replace both the mechanical pump and thermostat with an electric water pump.

Electric water pumps don't work that well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Domestic Amuse posted:

What's a "Windows phone"? :confused:

I know we're all having a go but WinPhone 10 as a basic phone was good. The OS was light and responsive. It just had zero app support. I really liked the live tiles too. They're stupid as gently caress on a desktop but were great on a phone.

RIP Lumina 635. Also RIP Nokia in general, it's a shame you were too stupid to make Android phones, they would have been great.