Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

I like that Nissan is starting to have visually different economy vehicles. If anything, I see it cutting into the "I'm going to be different, time to buy a Scion!" crowd. I've seen the Nissan Cube a few times at the rental car place I use all the time, maybe they'll get a Juke in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Toyota is showing off their FT-86 II Concept. They claim it is a closer representation of the production model than the first FT-86 Concept they were showing off.

I think it looks great from the side shot in terms of proportion, but I'm not enjoying some of the styling cues. I'll take one with a liftback please. 2012 can't come soon enough.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Coredump posted:

It'll come out underpowered, overweight, and over priced. And probably with no head room.

Probably. I'm still holding out hope that Subaru can steer Toyota into doing something right with the vehicle.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Has there been any case where badge engineered variants of the same vehicle had enough changes between the two to make one the generally accepted "better" vehicle?

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Morphix posted:

/\/\ And they promptly went out of business haha

loving kidding me? They finally franchised outside of California? And it's Texas? Fuucck. Texas is too lovely for such delicious burgers.

Nope, not franchised. Still run by the same family, they had to locate suppliers for everything in the area that met their standards and relocated a few store managers to take over these stores.

Crustashio posted:

Autoblog posted a few shots of what they call the FR-S, but the comments point out that those are subaru wheels on it.

Jesus Christ this is shaping up to look at least somewhat decent. Too early to get my hopes up, but that might be the next car I buy.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Crustashio posted:

Wait, the FT-86 is really going to be under 2000lb? With 200hp? How the hell do you accomplish that today. If it is true, I might seriously consider buying a new car...

Edit: Wait, do they mean a new scirocco or an old one? New one is 1300kg, which would put the FT-86 at 2400lb which seems a little more achieveable.

A Toyota rep was quoted at Frankfurt to say that the car will weigh somewhere in the 1150kg range (~2550 lbs). That would be nothing short of amazing with how much cars weigh now...

I guess it would be lighter than a few of it's competitors:
Genesis Coupe: 3294 lbs for the inline 4.
370Z: 3232 lbs
Scion tC: 2970 lbs

Edit: C&D is predicting 2800-2900 lbs
http://i.imgur.com/WAhn7.jpg

kimcicle fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Oct 21, 2011

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

I wish the spec sheet page leaked along with those car shots. I think the stock body looks pretty handsome (minus the tail lights), and all the glowing reviews of the car have me more and more excited for it to come out.

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Drives/Search-Results/First-drives/Toyota-FT-86-coupe-2012-CAR-review-/

quote:

What's the 2012 Toyota FT-86 like to drive?
It’s great fun. There’s fantastic throttle response, quick, well weighted steering and a nice firm brake pedal. Add little inputs to the steering when you’re driving in a straight line at speed and the front end darts immediately – no slop, no roll, it’s just 100% obedient and alert.

Clearly, it’s not a GT-R chaser, but that’s the whole point – the focus here is on dynamics you can explore at lower speeds. The flat-four zings happily and spins round the dial to 7500rpm, at which point you get a flashing light and a well-judged soft rev limiter – not a sudden cut-out. Doesn’t sound much like a flat-four though – perhaps this is intentional, as the flat-four sound is such a Subaru trademark.

The gear ratios are closely stacked, and help to keep this modestly powered 2.0-litre spinning, but the ratios are well chosen so as not to be tiresome: 60mph in sixth gear brings up 2500rpm – relatively high, yes, but not daft. The gearshift could be slicker, but the lever has an engagingly short throw.

Even without sliding it around, the FT-86 is very obviously rear-wheel drive: get to the limit in a second-gear corner and accelerate harder and you feel the back end point the front back exactly where you want it. It responds well to a really aggressive driving style. Shame that the stability controls’ Sport setting was too intrusive, although Toyota’s engineers said they had a less intrusive set-up that they were also experimenting with.

The Toyota FT-86 is great news for enthusiasts: it’s affordable, frugal and relatively practical. You also don’t have to be a driving deity to explore its limits. If anything, we’d adjust the high-speed, on-limit balance (firmer front end, more progressive transition into oversteer, tighter differential), but that doesn’t undo the underlying fact that this is a great car, and one that trounces its closest rival, the Mazda MX-5, in the fun stakes.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/CarReviews/FirstDrives/Toyota-FT-86-first-drive/259779/

quote:

First impressions: it feels light and compact, a bit like an MX-5. The driving position is low, straight and snug, with grippy front seats (and not a lot of room in the back).

The Toyota FT-86 feels quick enough, too, with a precise if a touch notchy gearchange, and an engine note that’s a bit growly – there’s not much flat-four burble. Tweaking the NVH is high on Toyota’s ‘to-do’ list. It has a broad power curve - it revs to 7500 but there’s no desperate need to wind it that far past the mid-range.

It’s hard to accurately guage the ride on a concrete airfield, but the FT-86 feels quite deftly set-up, light on its feet, with a touch of tyre roar that’s to be expected.

It steers easily too. At 2.5 turns lock-to-lock the steering’s quick without being hyperactive, and is light-to-middling in weight. It all adds to the impression that this is going to be an easy car to get along with.

Find a corner and you’ll find some roll, but its rate is well contained. The FT-86’s weight distribution is 53/47 per cent front/rear, so it’ll nudge into steady-state understeer if you’re on a constant throttle, where it grips moderately well and is pleasingly poised.

The great thing about the FT-86 though is, as promised, it really handles. It lets you choose how you want to corner. Add any amount of power and it’ll turn at least neutral. Trail the brakes into a bend, give a mid-corner throttle-lift or, well, just give the steering a bit of a bung and lots of throttle and it’ll either straighten its line or give you armfuls of oversteer, utterly as you prefer.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Laserface posted:

its especially funny how many people are posting on that Ft86 forum asking about stud pattern and wheel fitment as if a cars worth hinges entirely on how great it can look while hard parked in their driveway.

It's a lot easier to buy aftermarket wheels when you don't run an oddball bolt pattern like 110x5.

But then again would anybody expect a joint from Subaru / Toyota to run anything OTHER than 5x100? Both companies usually stick to 5x100 or 5x114.3.

Edit: But yeah I'm sure it's just a bunch of guys wanting to play dress up with their cars to park them hard at the Sam's Club parking lot for the late night meetups and hot import nights (do they still have those?)

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Rabble posted:

Oh god, looking at the comparison between the FRS and the S2000...there is no way a 6'3" dude is going to fit in this is there? :smith:

There's a shot of how the seating worked out in the FT-86 II concept and they estimated that the driver was ~6'0" with some room for a helmet. It's too early to say but hopefully at the Tokyo Autoshow some taller European/American journalists can get some seat time and say for sure.

Edit: MORE (alleged) FT-86/FR-S/BRZ NEWS!

Important specs from the alleged leaked brochure:

HP: 147kw (200ps) / 200hp @7000rpm
Torque: 205nm (151 lb/ft) @ 6600rpm
Weight:2662 lbs (1210kg) for base manual (~ 2580 lbs dry weight)
2706 lbs for higher trim manual

Also shows some comparisons against the Miata, RX8, and CR-Z (for some reason).

kimcicle fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Oct 31, 2011

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Cream_Filling posted:

Apparently the Euro Golf has a bottle opener built into its cup-holder. That's kind of cool.

Also, this shade of green is pretty rad:

I wish more cars on the road had brighter colors; it would at least make the drive somewhat more interesting than a sea of beige / white / silver.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

MrChips posted:

It's OK, but its nowhere near the best in its class; just because its got the most horsepower and wins the bench race doesn't make it a good car. The interior sucks, it rides poorly and the engine sounds like a food processor. You're pretty much better off in a BMW, a Merc, an Audi and in some cases even a Lexus (if you're looking at the laughable G25).

It't not best in class, but you can get a fully loaded sedan for cheaper than a barebones BMW / Audi / MB. It's really a case of you get what you pay for.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

eyebeem posted:

I rented a V6 convertible a few months ago while on vacation, and was really unimpressed. It was "perky" but it did not feel like a 305hp car.

I had the same feeling; got allocated a V6 Convertable Mustang for a rental and it felt like I was driving a slow bathtub. After driving it for a week I was wondering why it seemed so great on paper (300hp! 280ft/lb torque!) but felt like something way slower.

My wife felt that it was slower than our 4 cylinder X1. She was surprised when I told her the spec of the engine were almost the same as our G37.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Hog Obituary posted:

So Alfa have put out this sorta weird cheesy ad for the 4C:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkmfVsWunJ0

I know sex sells but aren't they putting it on a little thick?

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

A MIRACLE posted:

Just curious, what beats it out at that price for a sports coupe? Mustang? The MSRP says they start at $30k which seems reasonable-ish for a Z car

Mustang
Camaro
Genesis Coupe
BRZ / FR-S

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Previa_fun posted:

In defense of Nissan, 10 years ago the 3.5 V6 was just about the best motor you could ask for in a mid range sedan. Has that engine changed much over the years or is it still putting out about the same power output?

Fond memories of stomping the loud pedal in my pops' '05 Maxima and learning about torque steer.

The VQ35DE was a great engine when it debuted. The main problem with that engine is that they are throwing it into cars today pretty much unchanged, 14 years later. All the newer V6 engines Nissan has produced (VQ35HR / VQ37VHR) are longitudinal, so they can't be used in FWD applications. The improvements are there in the engines they are tossing into the Infiniti cars and the 370Z, but not to the Nissans.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Spatule posted:

The Mercedes CLA is an abomination unto the lord.

The "shooting brake" CLA though, mmmmmh.

Why would you want a shooting break CLA when you can buy a GLA?

Oh wait....

I saw one of these on the road yesterday and almost broke my neck at the double take. It's just so drat ugly!

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

The new Honda Civic (or at least a concept) has been unveiled at the New York Auto Show. Confirmed that the US will get the Type R, Si!

Coupe, sedan, and 5 door hatchback too!

Not a fan of the look, but the US market is finally getting a Civic Type R!

http://www.honda.com/newsandviews/article.aspx?id=8374-en

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

SouthLAnd posted:

This is the first Civic in a long time that has provoked any sort of emotional reaction from me.

And it's a good response. It would be even better without that wing though.

E: And in red. Hondas should be red.

Made a quick photoshop with the color red. I'm liking the red a lot more than the green.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Man, I was really looking forward to the new Mazda 2 hatchback. :( Cue a bunch of people buying the Scion iA and doing a HELLA TITE JDM swap.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

88h88 posted:

It has an analogue clock. In 2015. ^^

MB still has analogue clocks in their C / E / S class cars.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Biodome posted:

Which car is this?

Mazda3.

Also, to add to Mazda chat, every time I rent a car at National (twice a month lately) the first car I seek out is the random Mazda6 that sometimes pops up. After driving pretty much every midsized sedan they have in their fleet (so sadly no Accords), it's the best car. I'll take the Mazda6 over the base Challenger.

IMO: Mazda 6 > Fusion > Camry = Sonata > Altima > > > > > > Malibu > 200

kimcicle fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Aug 12, 2015

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Kinfolk Jones posted:

I would say the 200 rates above the Malibu for sure, and probably the Altima too.

I think I have a weird body type because I can't get into a comfortable driving position at all in the 200. Same with the 300 (which rarely shows up sadly).

Bovril Delight posted:

I'd stick in a Jetta or Passat right above the Camry.

Just got National Emerald Executive, so we'll see whats on that row.

Yeah, this is my experience in Emerald Executive at Denver. Every now and then, they'll toss in a sports car (base Challenger / base Camaro), a few smaller SUVs (Ford Edge / Nissan Rogue), or a truck (F150 / Dodge Ram). I've also had an EcoBoost Mustang (probably my favorite rental ever), a fully loaded Hyundai Genesis 3.7, and a terrible Ford Explorer. But the bulk of cars are definitely Malibu / 200.

Twerk from Home posted:

Which of them have a livable amount of headroom in the back seat? My Dad got a 2015 Sonata, and it seems like an excellent driving appliance all around except for my head hitting the roof. I think sedan headroom has been decreasing for years, though.

They all seem about the same, I think if you really wanted rear headroom you might have to go up a class or whatever.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Twerk from Home posted:

That looks a LOT bigger than a Macan, I guess maybe it could be a stretched platform or something. The Touareg looks much more like a Cayenne to me.

That's because you're right; the Touareg / Cayenne / Q7 share the same platform. The Macan rides on the same platform as the Q5, which has no VW equivalent.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

coolskillrex remix posted:

Should be a fun car with the 4c engine that's confirmed to be released eventually (dct only though). Kind of wary about so much power into the new Miata which apparently has a lot of body roll already. Hopefully not too close to boxster pricing and that interior is on a different planet compared to a Miata

Don't get your hopes up.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

PCOS Bill posted:

I honestly pay zero attention to the seat I'm in when I'm driving. I couldn't tell you how my car I've owned for ~3 years that I've put 40k miles on feels to sit in. I've taken a few naps in it so it's probably decent?

When you're driving the same car, day in and day out, you get used to it.

I've driven so many rentals in the last year (last tally, ~40) and the best seats in the rental fleet were in the Volvo V60 or Audi A4. Worst seats were in the 200/300. And Mustang > Camaro > Challenger in the seating department.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Glass / body looks like it's a 4th generation Nissan Serena. Makes sense if it's following an Infiniti, and it would be RHD since it's only offered in Japan. The front vent glass gives it away.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

The 4gc is probably my favorite car in the BMW line up right now. Frameless windows + hatchback + that shape = greatness. Only downside is that it's impossible to configure with a manual transmission in the US.

If the supposed 2gc follows the same formula they can't go wrong.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

Is there a more upscale version of this car? I'm not talking the hot hatch approach where they take a $20k car and cram 15-20k worth of engine and suspension. I'm talking something European or Japanese with good build quality and ticking all the fun boxes: RWD/AWD, manual, good power, hatch, low-ish weight, dash not made from Lego plastic. I think the manual requirement is killing me but hopefully there's a car I'm forgetting.

If you can live with an automatic you can go and get a new BMW 3 Series wagon, a MB E class wagon, or a Volvo V60 on the upper end.

The BMW X1 / MB GLA45 are wagons put on stilts. But the new X1 is FWD, so you'd have to go used there.

You can try to shop around for maybe a used 5 Series wagon or the CTS wagon.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Paper plates still on the back is a nice touch.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

KillHour posted:

I must be dumb. What am I looking at? Besides a useless lock lever.

The gap in the door card that's exposing the metal of the door?

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

KakerMix posted:

Does this mean no charger or challenger anymore either or am I really dumb?

The 300, Charger, and Challenger are built in Canada. :911:

The Durango and Viper will still be built in the US, but the Viper is doomed and the Durango is only still there because the Jeep Grand Cherokee is built there too.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

PT6A posted:

Is this some sort of Korean-only thing? I've never seen anything resembling that in North America, or indeed, anywhere.

EDIT: Are Hyundai/Kia trying radically different marketing approaches in different markets or something? That could explain the confusion.

Hyundai / Kia isn't the same, say, Lexus / Toyota or Infiniti / Nissan. They are technically owned by the same parent company but are two different car companies; Kia was only bought out by Hyundai Motor Group (not Hyundai Motor Company) in the late 90s. They do a lot of chassis / engine sharing now, but they are still regarded as two different companies.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

euphronius posted:

1500 seems rough. I'd do that for 800.

36 month lease on a Escalade is 850 with 4500 down. Factor in registration and insurance and there's no way the program would fly for 800 a month.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

euphronius posted:

Escapade is the most expensive cadalliac tho by a mile right ?

Yeah, and that's just a base Escalade. Premium trims lease for 1000 a month. CT6 leases for ~750.

Mainly this would be a way to protect yourself against this:

Powershift posted:

The cadillac CT6 has only been on sale for 10 months, and you can already find some that have lost over $15k off sticker in 4000 miles.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/689205427/overview/

Unlimited mileage and Being able to turn it into an escalade when you have family in town are nice bonuses.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

dissss posted:

Well it's dying later in the year.

The model range that really baffles me is Hyundai - I can't possibly see how there can be room for the i20/30/40 in the same market as the Accent/Elantra/Sonata

For regions that sell both, it usually breaks down like this:

i20 = Supermini
Accent = Subcompact
Elantra = Cheaper Compact
i30 = Compact
Sonata = Cheaper Midsize
i40 = Midsize

In the Korean market, most taxis are Elantras or Sonatas, so people will naturally buy the i30 / i40 to not look like a taxi.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

travisray2004 posted:

poo poo, we talked about BMW saturating a market. How many models does Land Rover now have?
RR, RR Sport, RR Evoque, RR Velar, Discovery, Discovery Sport
How the gently caress do you differentiate that many SUVs? Especially since the Land Rovers basically both look the same and so do the Range Rovers.

Evoque: Luxury Small
Velar: Luxury Medium
Sport: Luxury Large
RR: Luxury Extra Large
Discovery Sport: Offroad Medium
Discovery: Offroad Large
LR4: Offroad Extra Large

Land Rover adding the Velar finally has a vehicle that competes with the popular X3 / Q5 / GLC / F-Pace / Macan segment.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Throatwarbler posted:

The new discovery replaces the lr4. The LR4 was always called the discovery in other markets, there was just one car in that segment.

I stand corrected on the Discovery replacing the LR4, but Land Rover is just trying to cover all their bases in the luxury SUV segment and now should have all of their bases covered.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Sadi posted:

I have yet to be able to wrap my brain around the alphabet soup that is Mercedes.

At least it's better than it used to be; the SUVs used to be GLK / ML / GL. No real way to tell what order they came in.

Now they are aligned with their car counterparts, with GLA / GLC / GLE / GLS corresponding to the A / C / E / S class in terms of the MB hierarchy.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Kraftwerk posted:

So what do you guys think of the KIA Stinger? My enthusiast friend is super excited about it. I personally think it looks awesome but i think if I spent enough time with it past the initial first impression it probably gets worse.

Kia dealers are pretty slimy relative to other car dealers so I also expect a pretty lovely after sales experience.

Kia is going to have to lump the Stinger buyers and the K900 buyers (all 10 of them) into a group that's marked to get special treatment at dealerships. Hyundai is trying to do this with the launch of the Genesis sub-brand.

If the Stinger is anything like the K900, it'll look great on paper but in reality things will just feel off for no particular reason. It could be fit/finish, or materials, or the sizing of buttons, but there's something about the K900 that wouldn't let it replicate what it feels like to be in an A6 / E Class / 5 series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Twerk from Home posted:

How about when you can get a 2 year old K900 for $20k? Then will you still care that it it doesn't feel like an E class?

If there are any 2 year old K900s on the market for $20k then sure. I think the sheer number of them not selling will be the biggest hurdle in getting into one. The used 2015 K900 models popping up around me still market for around $35k. For that kind of money you can get into a 3 year old E Class instead.