Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators

Powershift posted:

Speaking of boring family sedans.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/01/09/2013-ford-fusion-debuts-along-with-47-mpg-fusion-hybrid-100-mpg/

New fusion/mondeo. It even has a 2 liter ecoboost/awd option.

I am buying the crap out of this car as soon as it is available. My wife wants to get rid of her Explorer and wants my Mazda 6. I like the 6 but I want something with a bit more room, a bit more power, and more tech options. This with a 2.0 eco-boost will fit the bill absolutely perfectly. The only thing I'd prefer more

This article makes me want it even more. Sounds like Ford hit a home run with this one.

http://www.automobilemag.com/auto_shows/detroit/2012/1201_2013_ford_fusion/index.html

Git Mah Belt Son fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jan 10, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators
The part that gets me is that car looks like it could easily be $100k, yet the base model will be under $60k. Taking price into consideration, it's a home run.

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

Got in a brand new Taurus at work and its absolutely appalling that a car of this size and weight has less knee room than the rental Focus I drove a couple months ago.

So incredibly true. My 11 Taurus just got totaled, I replaced it with a new Fusion Titanium. I actually have the same room in my mid-size Fusion compared with the full-size Taurus. I was going to get another Taurus, but then I test drove the Fusion. I thought I was imagining the room it had at at first but then I looked at the dimensions.

Taurus
Front leg: 41.9
Front head: 39.0
Front hip: 56.3
Front shoulder: 57.9

Fusion
Front leg: 44.3
Front head: 39.2
Front hip: 55.0
Front shoulder: 57.8

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators
Jesus Christ...Honda fined $70M for not reporting deaths and injuries to NHTSA for 11 years. Biggest fine to an automaker ever.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2015/01/08/honda-fine-nhtsa/21445701/

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators

skipdogg posted:

Blah. No new Taurus SHO or Fusion ST/Sport.

Certainly disappointing on the Fusion. While the 2.0EB is no slouch, throwing the 2.3EB in there would make an already great car amazing. It already handles extremely well and looks great, but making it 310hp, 320ftlbs would be icing on the cake. I'd have to consider trading my Fusion Ti if that happens someday soon.

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators
Wow, surprised at how good that looks from the front. Not a massive fan of the rear, but if the actual car looks anything like the concept that's definitely different for Buick, that's for sure. Side profile looks great from the rear wheels forward.

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators
Cylinder bias goes down the pole from 6 to 4 too. My brother in law drove my Fusion (2.0) and loved it. Talked about how quick it felt and how well it drove. I said "crazy out of a 4 cyl right?" That immediately turned into a poo poo engine that I'm crazy for getting. :v:

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators

Tekne posted:

On a random note, I'd pick up a used Kia K900 in a few years.

Just came home from the Boston Auto Show and this was one of the cars that was most impressive to me. I mean obviously the Astons and the likes were nicer, but out of the main manufacturers, the K900 was really nice. Not nice enough that I'd pay for a new one, but I'd definitely consider it used at the right price. I came away really impressed with everything about it. If I didn't have a big rear end loving Kia logo on the steering wheel, I'd never guess it came from them.

The new Nissan Murano was surprisingly awesome too. The seats are god damned comfortable. It's far nicer than my wife's 2010, that's for sure.

Lincoln really needs to work on differentiating from Ford. There wasn't a single Lincoln that made me think it was worth $10k+ over the Ford platform mate 20 feet over from it.

I felt sort of bad for Mitsubishi though. All these other manufacturers had pads with like 10-15 cars, Mitsubishi had like 3 cars squeezed into a corner. "Hey guys, we still make cars too!"

Git Mah Belt Son fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jan 16, 2015

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators

Friar Zucchini posted:

Although I will say a black MKZ manages to look classy as hell even if it's covered in salt because that's what happens to the roads this time of year. I'd rock one if I could afford it.

Oh, it's definitely a really nice looking car. I just don't know if I could justify the premium over a Fusion Titanium. I'm not lowering the Lincoln, more raising up the fact the Titanium is a really nice car as well.

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators

Xguard86 posted:

I rented a v6 challenger for two weeks for work and it was a surprisingly blah experience. Not "bad" but disappointing. I had a better time in the focus i had previously. Or a closer comparison was a a 2014 impala I drove that was a team favorite for highways.

The challenger/charger really needs the v8 or you're better off just buying something different.

I'm not disagreeing with you, but I find it funny that in this day and age that a 300hp car is "blah". It wasn't long ago when the Mustang GT was under 300hp and mid-full size cars were under 200hp.

Now, the V6s in these cars are outperforming the V8s from a decade ago and people are bored of them, hah. Hell, the Fusion Titanium or Accord V6 probably could outrun a 2000 Mustang GT these days.

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators

Wheeee posted:

I find it odd that a company the size of Nissan is seemingly incapable of building a single nice or desirable vehicle in any segment.

I sat in a new Murano at the Boston Auto Show and came away pretty impressed. The outside looks...umm, polarizing, but the interior is really well sorted and incredibly comfortable.

If I were in the market for a midsize crossover and they came reasonably equipped at a price decently under $40k I would definitely consider it.

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators

PCOS Bill posted:

No, seatbelts and child seats may not be, but Americans are loving insane when it comes to overprotection and helicopter parenting.

Incredibly true. I'm basically the worst parent and get dirty looks all the time from our friends with kids because I do such horrible things like let my daughter climb on rocks and trees. :shrug:

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators

Scrambles posted:

I just had a new fusion titanium ecoboost as a rental and it was horrible. Felt like a coffin inside with the huge pillars and small windows, zero feedback from steering or brakes, automatic trans was slow as hell, engine was unresponsive, didn't ride much better than my lowered subaru, wallowed in the corners, didn't find the interior or infotainment ergonomic at all... I know it's just a boring sedan but it's the first new Ford I've driven and I guess I was expecting more given all the enthusiast praise they've been receiving and the fact that this wasn't some bullshit low-spec rental trim. Is this at all representative of the rest of their range?

Huh, I had the opposite feeling. Small windows and larger pillars - sure. But out of the midsize crew I think the brakes and handling are pretty darn good. Steering actually has some weight compared to the competition. Maybe not Mazda6 good, but easily better than the Accords, Altimas, and Camrys of the world. The trans in drive is a little slow, but in sport either auto shifting or using the paddles it felt good. The engine feels really responsive to me. It's one of the better engines in the class.

I'll give you the infotainment though. MFT - while better - still isn't class leading at all.

Maybe it was just a lovely rental example? I really enjoy the Fusion Ti tbh.

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators
Ecoboost fuel economy is extremely dependent on how you drive.

I have a Fusion Ti with the 2.0 EB.

For experimentation, I did 3 different driving styles over the course of 3 days each. My commute is about 60/40 highway/city.

1. Drive like a loving grandma and feather the hell out of the throttle to stay out of the turbo, merging slowly and steadily and setting cruise at 65.
Result: 32mpg (pretty drat good for a big midsizer non-hybrid).

2. Drive like a complete rear end in a top hat, flooring the throttle all the time and using sport mode 100% of the time.
Result: 18mpg (but this car is fun as hell driving it like this...270ft lbs @2500 rpm)

3. Drive my normal style which is a combination of the above. Have some fun on ramps/backroads, setting cruise at around 75, and taking off fairly quickly but not WOT:
Result: 23mpg

I wouldn't doubt if the 3.5EB is similar. If you drive them incredibly conservatively, you CAN achieve really good gas mileage. The problem is the engines are fun as hell so you never really want to.

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators
You can knock on looks all you want...but modern cars are pretty awesome in terms of performance. You've got family cars these days capable of near 300hp (more with the hemi Chryslers), drag coefficients under 0.30, and pulling a 0.90g on a skid pad. Those were sports car numbers not too long ago.

Hell, under 7sec 0-60 used to be reserved for sports cars and was something impressive, now that's the target 4cyl family car number.

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators

eyebeem posted:

Dude, it's a loving massive barge loaded with comfort, is cheap, and does 0-60 in 6.8 seconds!

6.8 seconds is not slow.

That's my point. 6.8 seems "slow" today since every car seems to be in the 7-8sec range. For a large, heavy family car 6.8 seconds is pretty darn quick. The 2000-2005 Impala with the 3.4l was in the 10-11 second range. The "higher performance" 3.8l was around 8 seconds.

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators

Powershift posted:

It's extra awesome because it puts a fake pick-up in the middle of the 4 video streams stitched together to simulate a birds-eye view.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTUbf5Tuqn4

Warning: this feature will make your mirrors, tailgate, and grille worth $1000 each.

The best part about this whole god drat thing is the camera washer Ford built in. It's seriously awesome for such a stupid little feature and I wish my rear view camera had one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1kLSxv5ovk - skip to 40sec

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators

TKIY posted:

Give me a larger 4 or a 6 with 260+ HP and 250+ LB/FT and I'm there.

This is the only thing that kept me from buying one. It drives great, looks great, and the interior is a nice place to be but it really needs a little more power. I would have signed on the dotted line in a second if I could have been a little quicker. The 2.5 is a fine 4cyl, but it's just not enough compared to the v6 or FI 4cyl the others offer.

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators

Throatwarbler posted:

The new Malibu looks really good, probably the best midsize sedan on the market.

Ugh, really? I would put the Ford Fusion, Mazda6, and Kia Optima all ahead of this, purely based on looks.

edit: they neutered their 2.0t. It used to be almost 300 ft lbs, now it's only going be less than 260.

Git Mah Belt Son fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Apr 1, 2015

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators
I'm not a huge fan but at least it has some personality...that's saying a lot from Honda these days.

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators

Powershift posted:

Crossover SUV. they have the SRX in that segment, but it's not fair to say it's competing.

SRX is Cadillacs best seller though so I'd say it's competing enough for them to be happy with it.

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators

Wheeee posted:

As noted, they're also expensive. As are most new Ford models, with available premium trims that top most of the market segments in price.

Is it just me or has Ford been working to sort of rebrand itself the past few years, moving into a sort of premium brand positioning that stands in between the Chevys or Hondas and the BMWs or Mercedes, sort of like what VW thought it could be?

I own a $40k Ford Fusion. Let that sink in a moment (I didn't pay that much, but the point remains MSRP on my Fusion was $38,500...wtf).

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators

KillHour posted:

What is so much better about the Titanium that makes them worth $5k over a fully loaded SE?

Cooled all-leather seats, lane keep assist and some appearance differences are the only things I can see and I don't think I'd spend extra on those.

I bought it with 3200 miles on it for $25k, so to me it was a deal compared to a new SE.

Besides what you've mentioned over the SE, it has the 2.0l standard, a sunroof (eh), remote start, 19" wheels, everything is keyless, active park assist (I've only used it once, it's neat but something I won't use much), memory seats/mirrors, a heated steering wheel, automatic climate control, and the Sony branded 12 speaker audio system. I also got all the extra crap like lane assist and adaptive cruise control which have actually made my morning commute a whole lot better and less stressful.

If I were paying MSRP there's no way I'd buy a $40k Fusion. But the fact one exists blows my mind.

Edit: Oh, the Ti has a "sport tuned" suspension too. I've never driven the SE so I don't know how much actual difference it makes.

Git Mah Belt Son fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Apr 28, 2015

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators
Yeah, you're definitely right on. I just looked up the Ford listed differences, it looks like the cooled seats and the Sony stereo are really the only "important" Titanium only options. Like I said, had I been buying one new the loaded Titanium makes absolutely no sense.

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators
Oh I completely agree. The fact I got what I got for $25k blows my mind, even if slightly used. I drove a lot of cars before deciding on this one, some significantly more expensive, and I don't feel like I'm missing out or settled for less buying the Fusion. It's a testament to how nice Ford has become in their cars. It does beg the question on what it leaves for Lincoln though.

Basically besides styling, you can get a v6 which isn't that much more powerful than the 2.0l, a panorama sunroof, and xenon lights on the MKZ.

To answer your question on how I like it, it's a great car. It punches way above it's class in features and drives really well. My only disappointment is the gas mileage is sort of lackluster, but a lot of that has to do with my driving. You really have to feather the throttle to get anywhere remotely close to EPA estimates.

Git Mah Belt Son fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Apr 28, 2015

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators
Okay, okay fine. I misused the phrase. My sincerest apologies. :v:

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators

PsychicToaster posted:

Finally made it into a new job where I can afford to buy something brand new, and I've been looking at the 2015 Chevrolet Impala. I love what Chevy did to take the car from "boring rental car" status into something a bit closer to premium and more fun to drive. I can't decide between a Chrysler 300 or the new Impala though. Both look nice for the price tag and they're both pretty fun to drive. I feel like you get a bit more car out of the Impala.

Charger R/T Road and Track if affordable to you? That'd be my choice in the full size department. Drives a whole lot better than the 300 and Impala with a whole heck of a lot more power.

Or you could just go Scat Pack for full size awesomeness.

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators

SouthLAnd posted:

It's Happening!

Possible Ford Fusion ST spied

I hope it's just not some sporty option package or facelift prototype they've thrown together before the new model is released.

If this does have the TTV6 I want to immediately trade my Fusion Ti for one. The 2.0 isn't bad and I've never felt it to be particularly underpowered since the power comes on pretty quickly but I'd be very pleased with having 300+hp in that form factor.

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators
You're not alone. The Fusion is also the first 4cyl car I've owned and I really miss the sound of bigger engines. Even the 2011 Taurus I owned sounded a whole lot better. It's not the worst or weakest sounding 4cyl I've ever heard but it's not exactly a thrilling sound track either.

My other cross shop this go around was a Charger R/T and from a reliability standpoint I definitely made the right choice. It definitely made a better sound though!

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators

Throatwarbler posted:

I guess if you like fords then you like fords but aren't there already plenty awd cars with 300hp on the market? Especially if you are willing to look at lightly used audis. What makes the fusion such a great candidate for a hipo version? It's a pretty mediocre midsized sedan compared to the rest of the field.

I don't know how you can say it's mediocre. It's probably the best handling non-luxury midsize outside of the Mazda6 currently on the market, especially in Ti trim. It definitely would be an entertaining car to drive with a better power train as its already a pretty darn fun car to drive as far as 4 door cars go.

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators

iwentdoodie posted:

I quite enjoy my Ford.

I've always been a self admitted Ford fanboy and have owned Fords for 20 years and I've had mixed results.

Of my last few between my wife and I:

2003 Ford Explorer - everything was fine except the wheel hubs. The OEM Timkins loved to take a poo poo. Replaced 3 in 100k miles of owning it.

2007 Ford Fusion - 0 problems in 120k miles.

2010 Ford Taurus - also 0 problems in 80k miles. The only problem it had was getting totaled by a deer.

2013 Ford Fusion Titanium - worst car I've ever owned. 9 times in the garage, 15 different issues in 10 months and less than 10k miles. Ford bought it back under lemon law.

Git Mah Belt Son fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Sep 18, 2015

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators

BloodBag posted:

I don't hear powershift bitching on end about an F150 platinum being a $25K base truck with $26K of appearance packages. sauce

This is infinitely more stupid than a Focus RS for $40k.

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators

Christobevii3 posted:

CX5 with an ecoboost style motor would be nice. 2.0L turbo 4 with 240hp or something.

This right here would make the Mazda6 the best midsize on the market. They really need to put out a more potent 6 than the standard 4cyl. I wanted to buy one but I just couldn't buy something that much more underpowered than the competition.

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators

TKIY posted:

Has anyone checked out the new Pilot? My wife is talking about trading in her Santa Fe and she wants something with 'minivan' seating that isn't a minivan.

Basically I'm trying to find a large SUV or CUV with a third row of seating that will fold flat when we are trucking around a pair of 80+ lb dogs.

Probably the best 3 row SUV you can currently buy. It's worth checking out others like the Explorer, Pathfinder, or Highlander but the Pilot is really best in class.

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators
JD Power IQS ratings are useful but need to be taken with a grain of salt. The problem is they rank all "problems" the same - whether it's someone bitching about voice commands not registering, a squeak in the seat, or a transmission making GBS threads the bed. Obviously not all of those problems are equal, which is why they're not entirely reliable. You could have a brand like Ford getting absolutely slammed in IQS due to myford touch (which happened because MFT is pretty terrible) equated to a brand who's cars are just poo poo.

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators

TKIY posted:

My Genesis came with a heated steering wheel which I thought was stupid, until the first sub zero morning.

It's delightfully toasty!

This. My Taurus has a heated steering wheel and it's fantastic. Cooled seats are also pretty amazing.

The biggest lazy rear end feature I've found I don't want to live without is factory integrated remote start. It measures the temperature outside and uses the front window camera to decide what temp to set the car to, whether to use front/rear defrost, and to turn on the climate controlled seats/steering wheel.

Incredibly nice when it's hot as balls or freezing outside to get your car perfectly comfortable and/or defrosted before hopping in.

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators

Friar Zucchini posted:

The gently caress kinda car does this? The only car I've ever seen that was when I was a kid watching Rugrats one time Chuckie's dad won the lottery and his limo would stick the back seat out the door for him to sit in it.

Most upper trim level Ford models have this now as well. Off hand, I know the Fusion, Explorer, Taurus, Edge, and Flex all have it. Pretty much any car in their lineup that has memory seats also has their "easy entry/ exit" feature. Ford's memory settings control the steering wheel, the seats, the mirrors, your ambient lighting colors, and your preferred temperature settings.

It's been a godsend for my marriage considering I'm 6'4" and my wife is 5'5". Anytime she drives my car she never remembers to put the seat back for me. So I programmed our fobs to our memory seat settings and turned on easy entry/exit for both. Now I never hit my knees on the steering wheel because she forgot to put my seat back.

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators

priznat posted:

How are the new Nissan CVTs? Gonna check out a Murano I think. I hate the name so much, though. Also will they ever get a replacement for that VQ engine??

Early Nissan CVTs were time bombs, but they're sorted out by now. I think it was around 2011 or 2012 that they worked the kinks out. Should be fine by now.

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Isnt that like a PT cruiser but worse somehow?

The HHR is a pretty awful car, but if someone told me I was cursed and had to pick between an HHR and a PT to drive for the rest of my life I would pick the HHR 10 out of 10 times.

At least the HHR SS panel version is an ugly as hell car that I actually could stand driving and won't break every 10 miles. 260hp and a manual makes it tolerable and the panel just makes it look sketchy as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators

Wonder if it had to do with this.

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/10/14/30-vw-managers-knew-emissions-cheat/

He might have been one of the 30. So much for "individuals" we're the only ones that knew.