Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

I kind of like individual threads for each piece of automotive news.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Goddamn it. Now I kind of want to sell the GTR and get one of those. Although given the history would probably be smart to wait for the second model year.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Cream_Filling posted:

Except for durability, smoothness, and not costing a whole lot of money.

What? DCTs are perfectly reliable and completely smooth. Try driving a modern one. I often can't even feel mine change gears around town.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Linedance posted:

Possibly because it isn't attached to a huge V8/10/12 with 500+ horsepower. Admittedly I don't have any experience with them, but they seem to be panned by critics for things like parking and town use when fitted to assorted supercars.

Mine is attached to 600+ horsepower, although in a V6.

The only weirdness is very very slow speeds like parking lots it gets a tiny bit jerky. Other than that it's smooth as butter.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Linedance posted:

well that's me told. And puzzled. What's got a DCT and that much power coming from a V6? Porsches are flat 6, big Germans are generally 8s, Ford Falcon and M3 had an i6... TVR? But they don't have DCT transmissions. :iiam:

The earlier GTRs were jerky but they've really refined it. The only way I can tell it's changed gears is a very slight clanking sound of it engaging the next gear.

It also chatters like crazy in reverse.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

Slightly off topic but are all of the changes to the GT-R's gearbox software related or were there legitimate mechanical changes throughout the years? What year is yours?

I saw Cobb offers certain versions of the DCT software, can you get the 2012 launch control in the 2009 gearbox via software updates?

I'm pretty sure it's all software. I have a 2012, but a buddy with an 09 got the Cobb DCT upgrade and said it shifts just like a brand new GTR now with the launch control.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

More details on the Z06 leaking:

http://jalopnik.com/2015-corvette-z06-more-specs-leak-out-1499947862

"Numbers like 620 HP, 635 lb-ft, and 8 gears, if Hot Rod magazine is to be believed. They apparently gave up the goat, before quickly pulling it down, according to C7StingrayForum.com.
The numbers are pretty much bang-on with what we heard earlier. In addition to a seven-speed manual transmission, the Z06 will actually be offering an eight-speed automatic, as well, in the form of the 8L90E."

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

I kind of want a 4C now. But something is telling me it's going to be smart to wait at least a year.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

fknlo posted:

I'm super interested provided we actually get it and it meets the rumored $55k base price. I'm definitely in no rush to be the first to own one though...

Their whole "we are going to improve the car every year" announcement is scary. I don't want to get 2001 Z06'd.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

drat it. This may be what makes me sell the GT-R.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Devyl posted:

I hate to burst everyone's bubbles but a light/medium modded GT-R will outrun this in the straights and corners.

I'm not sure about that. And that's from a lightly modded 2012 GTR owner.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

InitialDave posted:

I also suspect that "lightly modded GTR" hits the wallet for about the same as "Corvette that will bend time and space to its will".

Right out the box, the GTR is $100k. You have a Z06 and $21k in your pocket for tuning. You are, frankly, going to die on the way to the circuit the showdown is being held at.

My GTR was $78k. I have $2k in mods so it's roughly even. Although comparing used prices is silly.

I just think the Corvette looks amazing and will be a lot lighter than GT-R.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Devyl posted:

The weight of the Z06 is a little over 3,500 lbs. making it the heaviest Corvette ever. Still 300 pounds lighter than the GT-R. If you get one, get yellow. It looks amazing in person :)

Wow. Kind of a bummer it got so heavy.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Hmm, wife really wants a new car. Maybe I'll look at the Ecoboost Mustang.

Also this sounds promising:

http://wot.motortrend.com/1409_ford_shelby_mustang_gt350_to_get_5_2_liter_flat_plane_crank_v_8.html

Focus RS with AWD and 350hp? Yes please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

drat. I was set on getting a Hellcat but the GT 350 sounds like it's going to be a lot more fun.

EDIT: and I bet it will sound ABSURD with an exhaust.

Comrade Flynn fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Nov 17, 2014