Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
When they opened the first Krispy Kreme in the Seattle area I worked with someone who waited over 24 hours to get some. People are dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Morphix posted:

/\/\ And they promptly went out of business haha

loving kidding me? They finally franchised outside of California? And it's Texas? Fuucck. Texas is too lovely for such delicious burgers.

Hah. You'll be thrilled to know they actually opened locations in Arizona, Nevada, and Utah before hitting Texas. I had quite the :wtf: moment when I drove by one while I was in Orem on business.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

dissss posted:

The suspension situation is pretty weird - in AU/NZ only the petrol turbo has the better rear end, the base 1.8 and the diesel still have the torsion bar.

As far as the Jetta goes I don't think there is much emphasis on small sedans in Europe - hatches don't carry the same stigma they seem to in North America.

Cars that carry a stigma in North America: Diesels, Hatchbacks, Wagons, and Minivans, anything else that might possibly provide some level of utility.

Status symbols in North America: Giant fuckoff SUV's and raised pickup trucks as commuter vehicles.

I normally roll my eyes very hard when I hear idiots rattle on about how advance Europe is over various things, but gently caress the American car market.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

jiggaman0204 posted:

Does anyone have any opinions or experiences with the new Hyundai Elantra? I'm considering one, because roughly 22k buys a loaded one, with a comforting 10 year warranty. It looks great outside and in, and it took first place in Motor Trend's recent sedan comparison. But I have no knowledge of Hyundai's current reputation for quality.

Is a 2012 Elantra as good of a value as it seems? Thanks bros. :love:

I've had my eye on them a little as well. I rented a base model a business trip a few months back and my overall impression was very good. Smooth ride, tons of space, felt light, quality interior. Rear seat legroom felt tight to me. Trunk was huge. I can rarely get all the gear I travel with into the trunk, but it fit without issue.

Definitely the best car I've rented, but I wind up with a bunch of lovely rentals (Last year has been HHR twice, Chevy A loving veo, Hyundai Accent, Dodge Charger, and some others I can't even remember). My daily driver is a 99 Corolla so any new car (besides the loving Chevy Aveo) feel pretty nice to me.

A lot of people say that Hyundai now is basically how Toyota was in the 90s. I can't speak to that completely, but I imagine they try to make stuff pretty reliable if only so their generous warranty doesn't bankrupt them.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

blk posted:

Also, my fiancée was driving us home from a show last night, 2 hours away on the interstate. She stayed in the left lane the whole time, even if someone was on her rear end and wanted to get around (they all ended up passing on the right). Her speed varied 20 under/over even though the speed limit and traffic flow didn't change. Who is this person I am marrying and how do I get them to stop? :cripes:

I am convinced that people who drive almost exclusively in major cities do this. People in these cities never learn that the left lane is a place to be temporarily rather then a place to pass. There also seems to be a little psychology that says "if I'm in the fast lane then I'm going fast."

blk posted:

I did, she didn't take the suggestion well. It was a little bit better after that but it's happened several times before and I imagine it will happen again.

It will. My wife is the same way and I've learned that I would much rather be the passenger of the jackals in the left lane then tell her she is doing it wrong.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Xguard86 posted:

I wonder what the low cost automobile market would look like if you could buy direct or shop at Costco for a chevy. Seems like every other product, especially at the bottom of the price spectrum, can be bought online or through a big-box low service/low price brick and mortar. I've heard those models don't usually make a big profit for the dealer but the protection dealerships enjoy under state laws must raise the prices at least a little.

You can actually shop at Costco for a Chevy, but not really in the way you mean.

NPR's Planet Money did a podcast that somewhat relates to your question, although not exactly. I suspect that if could drive down to your local Costco and pick up a 2013 Toyota Camry LE in your choice of black, white or silver for $19,000 (roughly $1500 under invoice) both Costco and Toyota could make a lot of sales and money, even off of reduced margins. Ignoring the fact that state laws exist to keep this from happening, I imagine that the current system of getting people in front of a sales person and looking at cars optioned to hell and back ends up making manufacturers more money.

Edit:
On a completely different note, I seriously can't believe how much midsize sedans cost. No wonder everyone buys crossovers when they cost almost the same as a mid-size and the mileage penalty is minimal. I have no idea why you'd buy a Camry or a Accord instead of a RAV4/CR-V (or better yet a CX-5).

BeastOfExmoor fucked around with this message at 22:54 on May 2, 2013

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Shin-chan posted:

Automakers back EU-US trade deal

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20130520/AUTO01/305200016/1148/auto01/Automakers-back-EU-US-trade-deal

I'd hope that not only could this lead to some of the more fuel efficient smaller diesel based power trains coming here, but also some of the more exotic cars that we're "not allowed" to have because of the cost to develop for two different safety standards. More wagons anyone?

I've long wondered why auto makers weren't clamoring to harmonize the standards between the EU and the US so I'm glad to see they are pushing for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

TheGoatTrick posted:

MINI's official statement about the photos from the previous page:

http://www.motoringfile.com/2013/07/03/mini-uk-responds-to-f56-spy-photos/

Apparently nobody in marketing has any idea how lenses work. Telephoto lenses are typically much more flattering. Wide angles are what distorts perspective.