Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

CharlesM posted:

To put some things in perspective, the car has no rear seats, air conditioner, or audio system. It is equipped with a roll cage, 6-point belts and fire extinguisher. The suspension is fully adjustable. The car is over 400 pounds lighter than the standard model. There's also wiring for a remote kill switch, a front & rear adjustable wing, etc.
It comes with a 7 speed dual clutch high tech thingy.

I don't know if it's worth the price, but it's a pseudo-racecar.

Fords mustang analog to the GTS is the Boss 302R
http://jalopnik.com/5434977/ford-mustang-boss-302r-the-boss-is-back-for-129000

The main difference being the 302R doesnt get a VIN and isnt street legal. But it is $20k cheaper (kind of like the GT to M3).

I bet the Boss 302R is also only 'marginally faster' then a regular 5.0 in 0-60 too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

frozenphil posted:

I get marginally outperforms the Mustang because the GTS has 30hp more than the Mustang and weighs almost the same as the Mustang. $150k in price premium should offer something more substantial than that.

Did you happen to look at the post above you that shows a mustang with all the track ready poo poo that the GTS has also costs roughly the same amount over a base model? You're a moron if you are going to compare 2 cars performance based on like 4 data points that dont even factor in to what the cars purpose is.

Would I buy a GTS for that sort of money? no, but for what it is the price isnt that outrageous.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

frozenphil posted:

How does this argument stand up in the face of the Mustang dominating the BMW in Grand Am road racing?

Who won the Continental tire race at Daytona to start the year off? What about VIR?

M3's have 7 podium finishes in the first 4 races this year to go with the 2 wins. Mustangs have 3 podium finishes in the first 4 races.

Stop being an idiotic fanboy for once.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

frozenphil posted:

Yeah, this year BMW is leading by 8 points so far after the Mustang was neutered. Also, how many teams are running BMWs vs. Mustangs this year?

At Daytona
9 M3's
16 Mustang Gt's and Boss 302R's

Im not going to count them up in the other races so far but you're more then welcome to http://www.grand-am.com/schedule/index.cfm?series=k&cat_id=91.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

frozenphil posted:

Yeah, it's better than those, but Ford and Chevy have both released new engines.

So you're upset that the new base engine in the 2011 GC is on par with other new v6 engines from Ford and Chevy?

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

frozenphil posted:

More like Chrysler's new engine is the worst of the Big 3's new engines. Which goes back to my comment about Chrysler not really trying to stay afloat.

So i was just looking at this article for the 2011 Explorer and it says that the base engine in the explorer is going to be a 2.0L ecoboost putting out 230hp and a V6 putting out 285...

Leftlane news posted:

The 2.0-liter EcoBoost four-cylinder offering will offer around 230 horsepower and 240 lb-ft of torque, while maintaining excellent fuel economy compared to the outgoing model’s slightly less powerful 4.0-liter V6. The premium engine, the 3.5-liter V6, will share new Ti-VCT technology for increased output and efficiency, with horsepower rated at 285.

That said, power wise the v6 in the GC beats the poo poo out of the I4 in the Explorer as a base engine. Oh and its also slightly more powerful then the next level engine for the explorer too.

A far as Chevy is concerend i dont even know what vehicle is supposed to be matching up with the GC because they really dont make a midsized SUV anymore. Just full sized and crossovers.

You're comparing the engines that are being put in the pony cars to one being put in an SUV. Im sure when the pentastar V6 gets put in the Challenger it will be over 300hp too.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Throatwarbler posted:

The closest thing GM had was the Hummer H3, and I'm pretty sure its engines were all poo poo.

It had always been the Trailblazer/Envoy until 2009.

I guess its closest comparison would be the Lambda platform Crossovers which have a detuned LLT V6 at 288hp.

It looks like the GC has the most powerful V6 among the american Suv/crossovers.

They really must not want to survive as a company :rolleyes:

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

REDjackeT posted:

480hp, 8-speed, nice interior, less like a barn door. Sounds fun.

It would be nice if they kept the exhaust off the center, as neat as it looked in the old one. I wonder if you slapped on the normal front with some resonable looking 20's (since I'm sure it will still have giant rotors) it would just look like a normal jeep in Aero mode.

With the right wheel specs you can run 18"s on an SRT8 no problem.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

I can guarantee that Ford did not design a car with 415hp stock yet was not safe aerodynamically above 120. The weight difference would be negligible if it was that drastic of an aero problem.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

frozenphil posted:

Basically, the only people the speed limiter effects are people bombing down public roads, Bonneville, or the Autobahn.

That's not at all true, I know you only know and care about the drag strip. But depending on the road course I'm getting my srt8 up to 140 or so on the main straights. Since the new 5.0 should be at least an equal to my srt8 power to weight wise i don't see any reason why with a set of sticky tires it wont be in the same neighborhood speed wise.

Ford put a speed limiter on for some reason, but its not going to be aero on the 2011 body. Stop grasping at straws Grover. The Boss 302R cars running stock aero in the Continental tire challenge are definitely going well over 120 and aren't having aero problems.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

A5H posted:

Nurburgring is a power circuit.

Most tracks are.

Saying stuff like this are like all the HURRRRR BETTER KEEP AN EYE ON YOUR MIRRORS FOR THE GOOD DRIVER IN A MIATA poo poo I get bombarded with when I run with certain organizations. Power makes a substantial difference on nearly any track that isn't Autocross sized.

Hell even in my 4000lb+ boat of a car with a stock motor I'm still running over 5 seconds a lap faster at one of my regular tracks then the top qualifying time for a fully prepped SCCA spec miata race a few weeks earlier and allegedly those things are paragons of "handling".

Peanut President posted:

There was talk like this in January and VW came out and said they were talking with NASCAR about joining Grand Am (which NASCAR owns).

There were VW's in the Continental tire challenge (a subsidiary of Grand-am and also owned by NASCAR) all season and one of the drivers (Josh Hurley) posts on here.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

ozziegt posted:

They are a race team. I think the production cars are just a formality.

They also make customer race cars. Ive seen a hand full of Esperante GTS's a club level race days.

Now they make the batmobile (abruzzi) which is enormous for what it is

Their best looking car was the esperante GT1
Race car

Street car

kill me now fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Nov 4, 2010

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Wrong.

Closed top prototypes > open top prototypes

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Muffinpox posted:

I think most insurance companies in the US have discounts if you take a "defensive driver" course or do a HPDE.

I'm pretty sure most insurance companies in the US would strongly consider dropping your coverage if they found out that you do HPDE days...

Insurances companies view Defensive driver courses (a few hours of instruction and a test but no actual driving) very differently then HPDE days. (rightfully so)

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Muffinpox posted:

It might vary by who runs the program, my insurance offers a discount to go to BMW club high performance drivers training which is just a HPDE at NHMS. My friend said allstate is the same.

Are you sure they weren't confusing a BMW club run HPDE day with with the actual BMW performance driving school located in SC?
http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Cont...+9Dx86T6xGhQQ==

zamin posted:

This seems counter-intuitive. You'd think someone that pays for, and participates in, training of actual driving courses, which to get the most out of should teach you to be keenly aware of your surroundings, driving conditions and your understanding of what your car is and isn't capable of, would more likely be a better driver compared to your average Joe. Also, you'd think someone that pays for a class like this is also interested in, and enjoys, driving, so they're more likely to be paying more attention when they're driving compared to someone that just sees it as a chore.

Then again, I'm not an insurance adjuster and I can only wager a guess at what the demo is for a HPDE course.

That being said, I'd love for there to be a way to "test out" and substantially lower my liability coverage.

The insurance company is concerned with you going out and driving at a very high rate of speed and greatly increasing the possibly of smashing your car into something. They don't want to pay for that. To them its one thing if you accidentally plow into another car during your morning commute and another if you willingly go somewhere and push your car to the limit and possibly wad it up.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Dr JonboyG posted:

Next Corvette could have a 3l V8 that revs to 10k. Before everyone gets all abloobloobloo, imagine the noise that fucker would make!

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/AllCars/257498/

So they would spend a ton of money developing a new engine that makes less hp then the current offering in the base model vette? :downs:

I would have expected them to downside the displacement of at least one engine option to 5L or something for their Le Mans/ALMS racing program. But the ACO lifted the displacement regs that forced their racing program to use the 5.5L LS motor that they're currently using so I doubt we'll see a smaller engine in the vette.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Motronic posted:

I think that's exactly the chicken and egg. They aren't often tracked because they aren't the best choice; people who track cars aren't the market so they don't make them more trackable.

At every track day ive been to there have been at least a few mustangs... People track them all the time. Hell NASA has an a few classes that are basically dedicated to racing mustangs (AI and AIX are like 5 to 1 mustangs vs camaros/other)

More people drag race mustangs because drag racing is a $30 a day/night enterprise so any jackass with some power under the hood can do it. The ~10x increase in price and having to register in advance for most track days is what causes there to be fewer mustang owners tracking their car then going drag racing.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Oooh, poo poo that's exciting. I just hope they'll offer it with a six-speed. They obviously fit in the LX chassis.

Im sure they wont, they still dont offer the 6 speed in the Charger or 300, only the challenger. It will most likely just have the ZF 8 speed transmission that they've started fitting to the other second gen LX cars.

Skyssx posted:

Did it have third row seating? I was checking out a XC70 while getting my oil changed and was very disappointed that apparently they're just sedans with extra cargo space.

They didnt and i doubt they would. There definitely isnt enough space in the rear for another row.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Can everyone stop hating on my sweet prince the dodge magnum :ohdear: Its making me sad

It may drive like a tap dancing hippopotamus, but it was fast. Or at least fast enough to hang with an exige cup on R6's
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTG579ORDqo

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

I passed a GT3 once but I don't judge all GT3s based on one poor driver.

Edit: Tracking a Magnum is loving badass though.

He wasnt a scrub of a driver (and I was on pirelli grand am spec slicks :v:)

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Seat Safety Switch posted:

That'd explain why you had to upgrade the power steering cooler for sure. What did you do for braking, uprated pads on the stock Brembo calipers and solid rotors?

Carbotech XP10 pads front and rear, stock calipers and rotors (the fronts are beefy 14.2" slotted rotors so the only advantage to different rotors would be to shed unsprung weight). I also had spindle ducts on the front brakes feeding from the stock brake ducting on the front fascia to provide additional cooling.

With some motul 600 brake fluid I legitimately never had any significant brake fading over the course of a 30 minute session.

The only issue I ever really had was after a number of track days the front calipers would invariably start to have issues with stuck pistons, but since refurbed calipers were something like $150 each after the core charge it was easy enough to just have an extra set on hand and replace as needed instead of blowing a ton of money on a set of stoptechs or something.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

I was at the NYIAS today and the viper looks so god drat good in person. The ALMS GTS-R looks even better

it has a dry sump too :v:

When I arrived at the SRT floor space the street viper was missing so we asked one of the booth babes where it was. She told us that they had sent it over to be on a TV show but it had just arrived back at the Javits center and would be back out in a few minutes. We happened to catch it being driven the short distance from outside to its place and my god the sound and presence it has. It drew an enormous crowd* as it was idled slowly across the convention center floor.

*not pictured

:patriot::canada: ALL HAIL RALPH GILLES :canada::patriot:

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

davebo posted:

I recently got the 2012 Optima SX which I believe uses the same Microsoft Sync/UVO system that Ford uses and it's way more technology than I care to deal with. I wish it had buttons for more functions instead of the touchscreen, and I hope there's a firmware update to fix the way it handles mp3's in the usb explorer mode. Microsoft why on earth would I want to play all the songs on an album alphabetically by song title instead of by the track number in the filename? Appetite for Destruction should START with Welcome to the Jungle, not have it second from last!

UVO is a bit different then SYNC even though it was also developed by Microsoft

Have you tried using all the voice commands in lieu of using the touch screen? Thats kind of the point of the system.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Powershift posted:

You could easily get a last gen accent hatchback here for about 10 grand even. That made it about $3,000 cheaper than the next cheapest new car. I would expect the nissan versa, as terrible as it is, to take it's place, simply because it starts at $10,999. Not because it's good and not because it's small, but because it's the cheapest new car you can buy.

Looking at "city cars" in the US right now. the smart car is $1,500 more and completely impractical, the fiat 500 is $4,500 more, the scion iq is a full $5,000 more,

Yeah, right now I have a base automatic Kia Rio at my dealership and the sticker is still $15,615. This is for a car with manual locks and windows :stare:

People who can't afford decent new cars buy used cars, not cheap new cars.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

sanchez posted:

2013 Fusion.

2012 Optima w/glass roof

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

grover posted:

The consumers that buy these cars don't autocross then, and they certainly don't road race them.

Ahem
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTG579ORDqo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjfJntYph_4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3Hu0zP-1_k

:colbert:

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I'm just thinking:
Charger - no
300 - no
Taurus - yes, but ecoboost
Avalon - no
Azera - no
Maxima - no

So I'm wondering what mythical four cylinder largeish car this is competing with in Baby Mauler's mind.

As was mentioned there are CUV/SUV's like the Kia Sorento that are offered with a 191hp 2.4L I4 and are around 4,000lbs.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Because its the one thing they didn't change so much from the c6.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

it looks bad in the thumbnail pic, it looks horrendous in the full sized picture.

:psyduck:

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

InitialDave posted:

Jalopnik watermarked not only someone else's pictures, but photos of someone else's magazine covers? I mean, really?

well they were the one to break the leak, because that magazine isn't out yet.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

I'm not entirely getting the qualms about the quad exhausts, its not like the corvette hasn't had center quad exhausts since 1997. They simply did what many corvette owners

I think the C7 is both a big jump forward and a natural evolution of the corvette. I love that it has an aero influenced vented hood and big brakes stock. This thing is going to be a hell of a track day car right out of the box before they even release a Z06 model.

Love the look, love the interior technology, wish I had the seats in my car, love the multi setting performance mode swtich and multi stage dual mode exhaust (with built in mild to wild switch), love the carbon fiber hood and roof panel (with option to have the panel bare cf), and will seriously consider one after my car is fully paid off in a few years.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Devyl posted:

This is about the 5th car this production year I've seen the GT-R style vent on the side. Is this going to be the new port hole?

you know lots of cars have had vents in that position way before the GT-R including a well known GM product

every Corvette since 1953

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Thats a very cool direction to go, but a 32 second 0-50 :drat:

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

I like that when the c7 pics were being leaked and then finally released there was such an uproar over the "camaro tail lights" and now it looks like chevy said "gently caress it, we're just going to change the lights on the camaro so people cant bitch about the vette anymore".

I also think the new lights look way better

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

davebo posted:

2014 Kia Optima refresh. I was interested just because I bought a '12 less than a year ago, but the new taillights are a little too VW for me:

and if there's one thing I can't stand it's a circular center on a steering wheel:

The article said they've added some new more exciting auto drive mode for the SX, which I assume just changes the shift points. Which I guess is nice but I have no problems just using the paddle shifters when in the mood.
Edit: "new Drive Mode Select system specifically for the SX, which adjusts transmission shift points and steering weight for a more engaging dynamic"

Edit: Here's the old one for comparison:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVAZX0wh1Kg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zp-k_Cg79Bo

quilted leather on the SXL and a flat bottomed steering wheel on the SX.

If the interior quality is anything like the 2014 Sorentos are, this thing is going to be a really nice ride. The new Nav (uvo eservices) is very slick too.

kill me now fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Mar 28, 2013

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

PT6A posted:

How have the Genesis Sedan and Equus been selling? I suppose that would be your answer. I've seen plenty of GenCoupes, but although that's a new market segment for Hyundai, it's not exactly "luxury."

Hyundai kind of went one way with trying to push their brand more up market by suddenly make a bunch of expensive up market vehicles and dumping them on the market all in the same time frame.

Kia is going with the other option which has been to slowly expand in that direction by slowly increasing what they offer in their cars. They first came out with the current optima, then added the SXL to bump the price up to around $35.5, Now they spice that car up again and release the Cadenza which pushes them up to that mid $40k price range. At the same time the Sorento received an SXL model that fully optioned hits about $42k. Next year they're looking at bringing out the K9 (US market name TBD) which will push the high end of their price point up yet again. Its been a steady process for them and judging by the number of SXL optimas and SX/SXL sorentos that have been rolling off lots recently I would say its working well so far.

I also think one of the issues with the Genesis sedan and Equus is that they're not as attractive as some of their competitors and that they looks like a bit of a knockoff merc/lexus respectively.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Mighty Horse posted:

IIRC Kia's current head of design previously worked at Audi.

Hes actually their president now too
Peter Schreyer

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

bull3964 posted:

I'm not typically big on leasing, but there are a TON of sub $200 /month 2-3 year lease options out there and it seems to me that it would be a pretty sensible way to go if you just needed reliable CAR at a predictable monthly price. Hell, many people's cell phone bills approach $150 /month and for that you could be driving around in a Ford Fiesta worry free. Think of it as a long term rental of a disposable car.

Nothing is going to beat buying used and doing your own repairs for sheer value of a car, but not everyone can afford to do that. There's something to be said for the simplicity of feeding a car fluids for 3 years and replacing it with something new before it has a chance to develop any expensive problems.

The point is, you can get a car with decent options for cheap (at least monthly budgetwise) without having to resort to a stripper model.

Most people are still going to have to finance a $10k car and that car is going to be next to worthless by the time it's paid off. So, to me, it seems like a better idea to dump the same money into a lease payment and get a better car.

But you have to have reasonably good credit for most leases, which is often a problem for people who would be considering a stripped out subcompact.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

bull3964 posted:

It's no more or less stupid to put money down on a lease than getting the lease itself. It's just a matter of factoring that into the total amount you are paying.

It is stupid to put $4k down on a lease because if your car gets totaled you won't get any of that money back. Your insurance pays off the lease company for the buyout value and pays nothing to you. You're then stuck coming up with a downpayment for your next lease if you want to keep the same payments on the new car.

Always do the minimum due at signing on a lease unless you like having a big chunk of your overall vehicle expense uninsured. Just understand that while the monthly payment will be higher the overall cost over the lease term will be within a few hundred dollars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Full disclosure: I sell Kia's for a living

I am now more then ever drinking the corporate kool-aid.

Why?

I had the opportunity to get a very close look at the 2014 Cadenza and take it out for a drive yesterday. I've got to say, having been in and driven most of its competition and a few cars that are a bit aspirational for it as competition, this thing is gonna be the real deal. The pictures dont really do it justice, it has some serious presence in person.

I've spent a few hours today trying to run numbers to make it work as a second car. I'm moving further away from my dealership (i can walk to work now) and will need something other than my vette to commute in. I think I've just about convinced myself to get one.

http://www.edmunds.com/kia/cadenza/2014/road-test.html