Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Christobevii3 posted:

Making it two pipes instead of four and you definitely have the new lexus rump.

With half the resale value and twice the operating costs :iceburn:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Weren't there rumors about a 'budget' Corvette a while back? If they put this engine into the -V cars AND the Corvette they could market that the -V's have "Corvette engines" in them.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I think the X6 looks pretty cool and I would drive the poo poo out of one if I didn't prefer sedans. It has a great presence and I love the M version for how ridiculous it is. Then again, I am a douchebag.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

Don't they also qualify for business tax write-offs? I remember my former boss had whatever the absurd power X5 model was because he figured it was about as fast as his z4 but qualified for some sort of business vehicle tax rebate. The X6 looks kind of like an even more extreme version of that loophole. Unless they've changed the laws since then.

For tax accounting in the US you can deduct up to $25,000 of a vehicle's cost if it meets requirements for business usage and weight. The threshold is 6,000 GVWR. If the vehicle otherwise qualifies but the GVWR is 5,999 you can only deduct about $10,000 or so. The remainder must be depreciated. The rule used to be more permissive and you'd have people buying SUVs and writing off the entire thing. This would be useful for tax planning purposes for obvious reasons. Leases are accounted for differently and depending on the terms of the lease you can just deduct the payments. This means it can be beneficial for a business to lease rather than purchase certain capital assets.

This is a greatly simplified explanation, but in your boss' case there greater current tax benefits to buying the larger vehicle.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Didn't realize they were bringing it so far downmarket. Also, even the Car and Driver article here http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2014-maserati-ghibli-sedan-rendered-detailed-news states that the platform is derived from a W210 E-class.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Leasing makes plenty of sense when the car is owned as a business asset. Also, you guys gotta remember that lease terms are negotiable just like everything else.

It seems to me that leases are more associated with relatively expensive luxury cars versus very low end cars, probably attributable to the credit rating required from most financing companies.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I also think they look similar

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I see dozens of those huge Infiniti SUVs here in a week, there is a massive Infiniti dealership up the road.

One time I drove through my parent's neighborhood nearby and counted 7 QX56s.

They are weird and huge but I guess just getting an Escalade doesn't cut it anymore.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
That's an impressive design. I'm sure the designers spent all day shrinking the GL550 and rounding it off slightly to look somewhat like an Audi.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Throatwarbler posted:

Roots superchargers are making a comeback, GM, Jaguar and Ford are using them on their hi-po V8s, Dodge will probably have a supercharged 6.4l, Jag and VAG are also using them on their V6s, Nissan has a few too on the hybrid engines, and Volvo is also using one on their new generation of I4s. The following are the reasons:

The current generation of Roots superchargers are much better than the older type. Probably very close to the twin screw types in terms of efficiency.

Unlike other types, the Rootes type supercharger pretty much doesn't use any extra fuel or power when not boosting, because they have a bypass valve that opens up and just lets air through when the RPMs are low. This is especially in contrast to the twin screw type, which because it actually compresses air within the screws, is always boosting. The cars that used twin screw superchargers (old Mercedes E55 AMG and others that used the same engine, Ford GT) all got ridiculously poor fuel economy as a result and another reason why pretty much no one uses them from the factory anymore. They sure were fast though!

The other reason is really just packaging which is a bigger deal than you think. Since V8s are mostly 90* Vs, turbocharging V8s is a bit tricky while putting a supercharger in the valley of the V is very simple, so most supercharging applications are V8s. A 90* V6 is the same way, but few companies make 90* V6s anymore except for VW/Audi hence why they also have a supercharged V6. I guess the new Jag engine is a 90* too but I dunno. The T in 3.0T stands for "thupercharged". :gay:

On most other engine types the packaging is at best about the same as turbocharging and usually more difficult.

The Mercedes E55 engine (M113) used an electromagnetic clutch to disengage the supercharger at times when it wasn't needed. It thus achieves higher rated fuel economy of 15/21 compared to the subsequent naturally aspirated 6.2L engine which was rated at 12/18 despite having a 7 speed transmission versus the E55's 5 speed. The engine was used in AMG vehicles starting in 2003 and mostly ending in 2006 although I believe the SL55 and G55 continued using it for some time.

quote: "The scroll compressor is not permanently running and is only activated at a certain engine speed and load condition. The engine electronics send the command to an electro­magnetic coupling, which immediately switches on the compressor by means of a separate poly-V-belt.
The system has two advantages: on the one hand, it means that the compressor can be activated in a split-second and the driver’s acceleration command implemented directly and without delay, and on the other, the engine consumes less fuel in part-throttle operation when the compressor is not in use."

I wonder why more manufacturers have not incorporated this? It seems to have been a reliable implementation.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Tekne posted:

The roots supercharged hemi 6.2 (hellcat is confirmed, just look at Gille's twitter icon) is claimed to be the most powerful American V8, but it's only going in the Challenger and the Charger. For the sheer comedy, they should put it in the AWD Grand Cherokee SRT, and a Ram using it would be more than a worthy successor to the Ram SRT10. It should also appear in that rumored D-RWD coupe if that ever proves to be more than vaporware.

It would be pretty cool in the Challenger except that car has already been in production for about 7 years and is overdue for an update IMO

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of cool diesel cars, http://www.businessinsider.com/trident-iceni-magna-supercar-2014-4#!Gqun8

"Power for the fastest diesel supercar in the world comes from a 6.6 litre turbo-diesel V-8 with 700 lb/ft of torque that can push it to 60 mph in 3.7 seconds.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Cream_Filling posted:

Maybe it can be a firmware update for the dash speaker

:drat:

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Throatwarbler posted:

While on the topic of engines, it seems that MB is actually going back to an inline 6 for their RWD cars.

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/mercedes-benz-straight-six-to-make-a-comeback-on-e-class-sl-class-c-class-83484.html

From the article:

All we know is that the petrol-powered family will be available in capacities ranging from 2.2 to 3.5-liters, with the entry-level 2.2-liter version expected to churn out 367 horsepower and 650 Nm (479 lb-ft) of torque. The range-topping 3.5L I6 will presumably replace the current 4.7-liter V8 as the most powerful non-AMG version of the 2016 Mercedes-Benz E-Class W213, and will deliver some 435 horsepower and 750 Nm (553 lb-ft) of torque.

That seems pretty high

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
You guys seem to be overlooking the fact that the Ranger was also a huge piece of poo poo while the Tacoma was and continues to be regarded as the best small truck. Sticker prices on new Tacomas approach 40K at the dealer near me and they are EVERYWHERE on the road. A friend of mine just bought a new one because he had an older Tacoma all through high school and college that handled >200K miles without issue. He was going to buy a used one but they depreciate so little that there isn't much of a point.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
The ZR1's don't seem to hold their value as well as the Z06. Low-mileage 2 year old cars are going for over 50K off MSRP. Granted they had a much further MSRP to fall from but compared to the Z06 they lose a significantly bigger % over a shorter time.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Throatwarbler posted:

That's kind of par for the course for all cars though, outside of numbers matching Ferrariis

In a sense but I think in this case it's an indicator that the market for six figure Corvettes has little support and most people in the secondary market aren't willing to pay the premium over the Z06. Z06s on the other hand retain their value in the used market exceptionally well. See also: Porsche Turbo S vs GT3

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Powershift posted:

Also, god drat, the base engine in the ATS is the same as the base engine in the malibu and colorado. Could they possibly phone it in any harder? Even the 2.0 fails to live up to the advertised numbers.

Wow that's pretty bad fuel mileage from a 2.0 liter on their 1200 mile trip. A buddy of mine is looking at the ATS 2.0T as he loves Cadillacs and is bored of his STS but one of his big reasons for wanting that engine was the supposed fuel efficiency.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I was joking around with my Cadillac-fanboy friend the other night about some of the moves de Nysschen is making and said his next step would probably be to start changing the names of everything that isn't an Escalade. Sure enough, the next morning I check Autoblog and see about the CT6 and groaned.

Cadillac has such a huge history with so many classic model names in its portfolio and this guy thinks for some reason its more appropriate to have another Infiniti-like Q1-99 naming system? Give me a break. GM has such a hard-on for trying to make Cadillac the domestic equivalent of a European brand instead of trying to exploit its American roots and they will stop at nothing when trying to copy the Germans.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Throatwarbler posted:

This seems to be the appropriate thread. A tech shows you the myriad of ways you can do things like open the door and pop the hood on the i8 without breaking the car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTNKiTrX0Vk

I like the part about how the emergency manual door release lever was the most common thing to be broken during testing. Well this thing sure seems to be breaking a lot during our testing, so you better learn to not do that!

Hahaha..."You need 2 people to open the hood." "....why?"

Do you think in 10 years we will be calling people morons for posting about buying one of these used?

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
The "LX cars are actually built on a Mercedes platform" isn't really correct. They used some components, particularly the suspension and transmission but statements that the 300 was built on the w210 e-class are wrong even though it's stated as fact some places. There was an interview posted here a while back where Someone from Chrysler commented that the engineers behind the platform would be very upset if you claimed it was just a Mercedes chassis.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Good. Chrysler was garbage and MB has continued to make awesome poo poo. Nothing of value was lost.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
BMW has sold over 250,000 X6's. And yes, they may be impractical but honestly like 90% of the pickups and SUVs being driven around are complete wastes of space anyway. At least the X6 looks 'unique' so you stand out in traffic with all the people commuting alone to their office jobs in $55,000 F-150s and $75,000 Yukons. (I think it looks cool in person and would drive the hell out of one with the M-sport and V8).

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Speaking of the Murano, I saw my first Murano convertible in the wild the other day and almost threw up all over myself. Who on earth thought that it would look good? They didn't even seem to make any adjustments to it at all, the roof just looks straight sliced off so the body lines that are left are all jaggy and mismatched.

I have seen like a dozen of theses around Charlotte, NC. I thought I had seen a huge chunk of the ones sold but apparently they sold like 6,000 of those monstrosities. I've seen about the same number of B7 Alpinas here and they only sold a few hundred of those.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Its hilarious to me that Cadillac has managed to create exactly one vehicle, a rebadged one at that, with any brand equity to the point that they can't keep up with demand for these $90,000+ SUVs while their entire other lineup just sits on the lot with >$10,000 discounts to MSRP.

Very few people who want a Audi/BMW/Mercedes are cross-shopping with a Cadillac, and vice-versa. My friend is on his 5th or 6th Cadillac (currently an ATS) and hates the new CTS because he says its 'too European.'

Tubesock Holocaust posted:

Cadillac needs to emulate Land Rover's lineup across the board. Embrace the Escalade as the big kahuna of luxury SUVs, turn the SRX into an ersatz Range Rover Evoque and slot another SUV/CUV in between. Caddy could make their own version of the Buick Encore, but that'd probably end in tears. Then make a sedan version of this thing:

The ATS, CTS and CT6 can devolve into Buicks with starting prices of $25k, $29k and $35k, respectively. From here on out, Cadillac's a bespoke SUV/CUV-only brand.

This is probably not an unreasonable thing to do, just make it like Range Rover and name all the models some derivative of Escalade. Then everyone can tell their friends they drive an Escalade, instead of the current conversation which goes:

1) I drive a Cadillac!
2) Cool, is it an Escalade?
1) No, its a [who gives a poo poo]!
2) Oh...

Also I would imagine the CT6 will be stickered at twice that amount.

bling bling, bitch

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

KillHour posted:

The problem with this is that just like Range Rover, the cheapest Escalade would have to be the current Escalade.

I could definitely see a $55K Escalade Sport or something like that. What they would base it off of I have no idea. Maybe the new Colorado/Canyon platform?

The SRX currently leases for less than $400 a month while the Escalade is about $1,000. Something in the $500-800 range would give them plenty of room. The most important thing is it has to look like an Escalade, it can't be a stupid crossover like the SRX.

heated game moment fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Apr 17, 2015

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
If Cadillac is trying to compete with Mercedes they certainly have them matched on first year depreciation with the ELR.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Powershift posted:

there will probably be another 10 20 grand on the hood when it doesn't sell at $85k, too.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Tubesock Holocaust posted:

That is, if you're not willing to pay the premium for uber-luxury sedans (7 Series/A8/S-Class). Other than that, it's either a luxury SUV or a full-size quad-cab Platinum/High Country/Longhorn/14881794 Edition truck.

The Escalade is more expensive than two of those sedans and all of those trucks. It is, to many buyers, simply more vehicle for the money even when the $90k sticker price is not a concern. I can't say I disagree with them.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
The SS is a good idea but is completely uncompetitive for its price. I like big fast sedans and coming from a now 11 year old E55 it would be a downgrade in almost every way for well over twice the price. Less power, even shittier fuel economy, just as heavy, hell even the platform dates back to 2006. The additions of the manual and magneride are too little too late.

So basically

skipdogg posted:

Price is my main issue with the SS. Seems like a nice enough vehicle, but if I'm spending 48,000 dollars it's hard to drop that on a Chevy when there are so many great cars in the 50K range.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Throatwarbler posted:

GM's trucks seem to have gotten worse than the previous generation

How do you figure this?

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
On the plus side it's a re-badged Land Cruiser so once you pay your $85,000+ it should last 300,000 miles. On the other hand that's a long time to look at that stupid loving grille.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
That's not the worst example of questionable Lexus design though. Check out the dash for the RX 350 which looks like it would be at home in a 1997 Taurus:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Throatwarbler posted:

Just to be clear that's the interior of the 2008 RX. The 2016 RX is much better.

I think this is gorgeous and most of the other modern Lexus vehicles have equally great interiors, but gently caress that silver swoopy center stack on the prior models. That would be a dealbreaker for me because I would never stop noticing it. At least you can't see the spindle grille when you are inside the car.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

HotCanadianChick posted:

Meet the 2015 4Runner, same engine as the 2004 4Runner.

Their trucks and SUVs are so hilariously outdated by now it has ceased to be funny.

It blows my mind, especially since I have several friends that have spent well over $30,000 on new Tacomas in the last few years. The new 4Runners look cool but optioned out go for $50,000 and have the same ancient drivetrain :wtc:
I don't see how its justifiable but as has been said before it probably didn't involve a rational decision

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

fknlo posted:

The hosed up thing is that the Tacoma is still selling well even though it has competition that is better in pretty much every metric. The 2016 Tacoma is also a loving facelift with some new drivetrain options. And they'll still sell a ton of them because people are idiots.

It really doesn't have a whole lot of competition and they have such a great reputation for being bullet proof. I have one friend that bought a new Frontier but other than that what are you going to get that's not a full-size truck? Hell I'd probably have a full-size truck right now if it would fit in my garage.

Toyota/Lexus is understandable in their conservatism to an extent but they seem to have taken it too far. The Americans regurgitate the SBC for 50 years and upgrade as appropriate, the Germans over-engineer the poo poo out of everything and abandon entire engine families frequently, and the Japaneses seem to take the middle road.

Just saw this http://www.autoblog.com/2015/08/11/lexus-two-updated-models-pebble-beach-official/ and I'm guessing one of those is going to be the new LX570 posted earlier in the thread, while the other will be either a newer LS as the article suggests or also possibly a 2-door version of the LS. The LS is a great car its just very understated and conservative compared to its German competition, which isn't always a negative. I've considered trading my E55 towards one but then again I'm 29 not 65

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Tashan Dorrsett posted:

Tacoma's the only thing Toyota sells right now that's remotely defensible, if only because of the lack of offerings from their competition. It's the perfect truck for city dwellers who think they need a truck but don't actually need a truck. The price point is absurd for what you get, especially with options, but again there's no direct competition. A few of my friends have bought them in the past year or two, and I've test driven a bunch of them. They're bland as hell but at the end of the day they're an honest practical truck that won't give the owner too much grief. Is the F150 a better truck? Yes. Should you be buying a used truck in this segment? Probably. Are there any other choices? Not really.

What worries me is that dealers aren't offering single cabs in my area unless special ordered, and I keep hearing rumors the single cab will soon be discontinued. Most new Tacomas I see on the lots are double cabs, which have hideous proportions and are largely pointless -- why wouldn't you just buy a full sized truck at that point? I get that you can double cab + short bed, which seems to be the most common configuration, but not only is that combination butt-ugly, it's rather useless as a truck. I guess the double cabs look decent with a regular or long bed and a paint matched canopy, but even then meh. Keep in mind I think double cabs in general look like poo poo, but the Tacoma is definitely among the worst offenders.

Can't speak for gen2 Colorados, I steer clear of new models for at least a few years and TBQH everything else Chevy has put out in recent memory has been hot garbage short of the new Vettes so they haven't even been a consideration.

My friends all got double cabs/crew cabs and the backseats are not too comfortable at all for me at 6'1". The only positive that I can think of is that crew cab Tacomas are proven to fit into my garage while a crew cab F150/GM 1500 will not. And not to spout a common trope or start an argument, but these vehicles are rarely being used as a truck in any sense that would require a long bed, its mostly just all-weather driving and commuting while getting poo poo gas mileage. Also I agree that Chevy is mostly completely unattractive from a buyer's standpoint although I do like their full-size trucks.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

go3 posted:

i would murder people for a Fusion wagon with ~300hp

BloodBag posted:

So long as it's a stripper, and brown. Right?

PROBLEMATIC

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I/my family has owned a bunch of Fords and several Mercedes and while I can't comment on the reliability of my Chevy truck yet, the Fords were spectacularly lovely.

98 Taurus - multiple engines, transmissions, power steering, fuel pump etc. Had a hard life as a first car though and wasn't properly taken care of so not all its fault.
91 Town Car - transmission, power steering, basically everything but the engine. Again, had a hard life and only cost me like $1,000 up front so who cares.
2002? Escape - ran fine until it burst into flames while parked and turned off in the garage and nearly burned the house down.
2008 Explorer Sport Trac - on its 3rd or 4th power steering pump in less than 60K miles. Transmission issues.

For the most part these were outliers I'm sure and I haven't written the brand off or anything but at least when you pour money into a Benz you still have a nicer vehicle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Throatwarbler posted:

Did you get a big stack of cash from Ford for almost burning down your house? I think the NHTSA kicked their rear end for that one.

It was my mom's and as far as I know, no. Insurance did pay for a new garage at least.