Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
I want that Polo GTI so bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

oxbrain posted:

That will never be sold in the US.

The Focus ST is coming, EcoBoost, Recaros and all, and since everyone covering the Fiesta said that it was going to get an EcoBoost version I don't think the Fiesta ST coming here is that out of the realm of possibility.

Probably won't come here as a three-door, but everything else...

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Pontius Pilate posted:

Never forget Saab.

Edit: Oh no they're not making the new 9-5 into a wagon? What to believe in now?!

Yeah they are!

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/01/19/saab-9-5-sportcombi-leaked-ahead-of-geneva-debut/

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

As long as the Subaru version comes in a liftback I would probably get that one, but I really like how this thing is turning out.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

bull3964 posted:

I'm still not convinced we will see the Subaru badged version in the US. Subaru has spent waaaaay too much time marketing the fact that their entire lineup is AWD that I don't see them releasing a RWD car here.

Autoblog posted:

It's worth noting that the automaker has confirmed for the first time here at the 2011 Geneva Motor Show that the upcoming production version of this sports car is coming to America.

The engine sure looks like it's back too far to use a traditional Subaru transmission for conversion to AWD. It'd have to have a setup like the GTR.

edit: here, even better

DEUCE SLUICE fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Mar 1, 2011

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Subaru is the one that went to Toyota with the idea, though?

It's going to be interesting to see how much power the new gen 2.0 boxer gets with direct injection, what the gas mileage is like, and how quickly it works its way into the new Subarus getting the next gen motor. It was surprising that it isn't in there from the start.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

quote:

Masuda is so optimistic about the sports car's potential, he instructed the engineering team to use the Porsche Cayman as a performance benchmark.

With front struts and a double-wishbone setup in the rear, the suspension is not unfamiliar to Subaru, but the dimensions are much different due to the overall size of the car. Masuda is not ready to offer a final weight on the sports car, but says it's approximately 20 percent lighter than the Subaru Impreza STI.

Transmission options have not yet been finalized, but both a new manual and automatic are expected.

Will the sports car ever offer all-wheel drive? It is possible. So is a turbo verison, says Masuda. "We have no concrete plan about a turbo, but we are open in the future."

That'd be about 2700 lbs. If the 200-hp number that was thrown around before is right, that wouldn't be bad at all provided the chassis is as tossible as expected.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

It'll look nice without the roof rails and in WRX form.

Interior looks like a *huge* step up.

My only real concern is that they'll stick with the 5-spd in the WRX. The 2.0 still has one. Otherwise, love it.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

bull3964 posted:

The Impreza getting itself back under 3,000lbs is HUGE, especially since they managed to increase the wheelbase.

[...]

Also, they managed to make the less powerful 2.0L engine quicker than the 2.5L.

Bodes real well for the WRX and STI versions, that's for sure.

heat posted:

See the little arrow next to the picture of a gas pump? That tells you the gas cap is on the passenger side of the car. Lots of new cars are doing this, and it's a simple, elegant solution to a common problem.

My 07 WRX has this. My Protege doesn't, and the cap's on the other side of the car - that's annoying.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

travisray2004 posted:

Holy poo poo. I don't mind the current gen Impreza because it looks kind of awkward. This just looks.....boring.

This is said after literally every Subaru redesign.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

208hp in the turbo Veloster is going to be a *hoot.*

Looks like that little third door's window rolls down too, doesn't it? (That's the thing that prevents me from buying a two door - can't deny the dogs their window.)

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

A5H posted:

That would be why they are called dildo shifters :D
(I'm getting a pink on)

Rainbow one here.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Only things I've seen on the Veloster is that a 200hp-ish turbo is a certainty, and they may be adding a five-door option.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I really wish they had made it a hatchback. :( Trunks suck.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

quote:

The next Mitsubishi Evo will be powered by a hybrid powertrain and will go on sale within three years, company president Osamu Masuko has confirmed to Autocar. Although Masuko did not reveal the full technical details, it is understood that the Evo XI will switch to a diesel-electric hybrid powertrain, saving it from tightening emissions regulations while preserving its trademark mid-range shove.

“We will start work on the project next year, and it will be ready within three,” said Masuko. “I have set the goal of developing a sporting car featuring electric power.”

It is hoped that the mix of diesel torque and electric motor will deliver a 0-62mph time of under five seconds, yet cut CO2 emissions to less than 200g/km.
The Evo XI will feature a revised version of the S-AWC four-wheel drive system, which integrates braking, steering and traction control.

The future of the Evo has been the subject of much debate this year. Senior management initially claimed it would be axed in favour of investing in electric vehicles, but it reversed this decision following a backlash from fans.

Masuko is believed to have made the decision after being persuaded that a halo model such as the Evo could have a positive effect on the entire Mitsubishi range, which is set to become increasingly environmentally focused.

Whoa.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

quote:

Doesn’t sound much like a flat-four though – perhaps this is intentional, as the flat-four sound is such a Subaru trademark.

for the FT86, vs

quote:

No doubt because of the direct injection, the flat-four revs far more lustily than any non-turbo Subaru, but the sound - basically that of an Evinrude outboard chasing a smallmouth bass - is typical for a Subaru flattie.

for the BRZ. I hope the Subaru version really does sound like a mean flattie, and anything that makes the Toyota version less Subaru-ish is cool by me.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

For those of us with a dog or two, the back seats aren't really a negotiable feature no matter how small the car.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Laserface posted:

:circlefap:

At this point we may need an FT86/FRS/BRZ thread.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

All three.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

thebushcommander posted:

Like'a Dis?

holy poo poo

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I'm disappointed it's not a legit hatchback or liftback. Trunks are the worst.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

The Veloster was confirmed by Hyundai USA's CEO to be getting a 1.6 turbo and will be shown at NAIAS in a few weeks.

http://www.motortrend.com/auto_shows/detroit/2012/1112_2012_detroit_auto_show_hyundai_veloster_turbo/

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Veloster turbo leaked.

201 horsepower / 196 lb-ft of torque
6-Speed manual or automatic transmission
2,800 pounds (up from 2,584 pounds)
27 City / 38 Hwy

I dig it.

edit: deleted picture, bigger ones \/\/

DEUCE SLUICE fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jan 9, 2012

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Autoblog eluded that there were more changes than just added power, but that they couldn't share them yet. Beefier suspension bits, bigger brakes, bigger wheels, more supportive seats, stronger transmissions and all the assorted bits that go along with turbocharging, plus the body kit, could easily weigh 300 lbs.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

It's ugly but the more little RWD cars out there the better.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Yeah, the Veloster's auto would have to be the DSG.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

It's not that bad...

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

240SX and Miata both have popup switches.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

davebo posted:

So what we have here is the Audi RS4 Avant. It features 444hp that peaks at 8250rpm, quattro AWD, 7-speed DSG. It will not be coming to America.

For this car I'll move to Germany. gently caress, it's perfect. :(

Cream_Filling posted:

That pink Torana concept car from about 5 years ago was pretty cool...

It's basically the new Cadillac ATS but with a hatch. What do you think the chances are of them ever making something like that?

I wish more sedans had liftbacks.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Left Ventricle posted:

Chevy did it twice, and it was horrible to look at both times. Corsica and Malibu. I'm having a hard time coming up with a picture of the Corsica though. The Malibu Maxx is just so awkward-looking.

Chevy actually did it three times.

Along with:

and even

I personally prefer wagons, but having a liftback is still a shitload more useful than a trunk.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Naky posted:

I would buy the everlasting poo poo out of this as a huge fan of three door hatches. BMW of America needs to stop being such a prissy image conscious prat over here and start considering to bring over hatches already. Jesus christ.

I'd need the five-door one (dogs need windows!) but otherwise that's exactly what'd I'd draw up if I could design a car from scratch to own. Want so bad.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Some recent article about the plans for CTS wagons posted:

In the U.S., luxury wagons attract some of the most affluent car shoppers in any segment.

Probably an offshoot of the euro-fetishism that was mentioned earlier, but still interesting...

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Motronic posted:

It flips up when you start the car, and goes back down when you shut it off.

I don't get it. They started this in the A8.

Either find a place for it or don't, but why move it all the time?

So people don't smash your windows to steal your nav?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

If it's integrated in to the dash are they really going to steal it

Crackheads

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

It's ugly but they'll probably sell a shitload of them.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

So Scion will have the FR-S, tC and iQ - a real sports car, a fake sports car, and a roller skate.

Great lineup.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Holy mother of gently caress that's a lot of Souls. It makes sense, though - at that price point for a stylish city run-about and stuff hauler it's a no-brainer.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

If you live in SF or NYC and are street parking the iQ would be great.

Otherwise, no idea.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

It's the Subaru Time Distortion Field. All Subarus are ugly until a new one comes out, afterwards their attractiveness is a direct function of how many generations or facelifts away from the current model it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Cream_Filling posted:

Hey, the last generation Legacy was a legit decent looking sedan. Same with the previous generation Forester. And the GD pre-pignose impreza was alright, honestly, even if you didn't like the bugeyes, as were the GC Imprezas, which are firmly in the realm of boring but practical styling that Subaru used to be in. The ugliness has really ramped up lately, though, especially with the awkward attempts at fender flares, horrific headlight designs, and general fatness.

Exactly.