Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

grover posted:

Well, it's still not all that economical to implement, but CAFE has forced the manufacturers' hand in the matter.

I wouldn't call the making vehicles for the most absurdly horsepower-hungry market a forced hand at all. I find that I can't get a decent torquey engine in a small truck without having some sort of deficit, like being huge (tacoma), ancient and with no small engine (ranger), or being a Nissan. I don't get the BUY OLDER viewpoint when its what most people would buy who want a fleet truck, its gotta be the margins. You can't charge $3500 for a diesel which involves expensive emissions testing and applied costs on a $17,000 pickup truck. You could probably do it with a middle sized (realistic) truck with a v6 diesel, but it'd still be a limited market.

There aren't many buyers for tiny cheap trucks with comparatively expensive engine, there aren't many buyers for a hardcore high-articulation high-ratio US-diesel offroad vehicle with miles of ground clearance for cheap (those just buy Jeeps which still are awful cars in every regard besides axle articulation and swaybar disconnect switches but now are a version of a 1997 Range Rover inside), nor anything that people seem to want. Its Americanisms as much as bad management, high emissions regulations play a lesser part, but all 3 point towards we not getting the other world market cars. It took the Internet to realize that GM/Ford made decent cars elsewhere, but we're not running a multi-national corporation in mom's basement so therefore we are a bit more adaptable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

InitialDave posted:

Oh, spool means turbocharger, not differential replacement? I thought that sounded weird.

Never heard it referred to that way, a spool is a non-differential differential displacemet. Anyway, I love turbochargers and such but a new 5.0 is a bit hard to say no to...

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Russian Bear posted:

Next they'll strap 800lb worth of stupid poo poo on it and make it FWD.

You mean they'll make a real production car meeting safety regulations besides marketing-claim
vaporware, and make it the Rav-4s awesome AWD. Maybe they'll be like old Subarus and have FWD standard and AWD optional!

I have faith for Subaru to totally ignore the whole point of 25 years of their drivetrain engineering (and their claim to fame and marketing point for the same amount of time), I don't think Toyota will have a problem making a sporty car again, they've done well attacking Mercedes on most of its products( besides the F-line versus AMG). BMW doesn't make cheap little RWD sport dealies besides Mazda and Hyundai.

DJ Commie fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Oct 13, 2010

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

A5H posted:

Everyone should be making poo poo light and awesome. You can get through safety without weight.

Safety, weight, price, functionality. Pick two, 2.5 ignoring price. Safety cannot be removed. I'd rather survive a crash in a track outing or on the street than being bothered about adding a bit of power to compensate for 100lbs of door beams.

Muffinpox posted:

People want convenience more than safety, a bit like how we don't have 4 points standard despite numerous advantages.

Three points do pretty well, the twisting allowed by a single side shoulder belt doesn't really affect much but side crashes, the upper torso is pretty rigid and stays straight in most accidents.

DJ Commie fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Oct 13, 2010

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

kimbo305 posted:

bahahahahaha way to stick to the corporate design language:

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2010/10/first-look-all-new-2011-mazda-bt-50-global-pickup-truck.html

I saw that last night and I nearly died laughing.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Blocko posted:

Wasn't this tried once before already?

Oh right.

You mean the one that sold almost 120,000 cars in 7 years? The one that oustold the 911 every year it was made? The favorite of club racers and probably the best early 70s Porsche that you could actually drive?

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Blocko posted:

Yes, that one.

Only 911 purists hate it. And the 912. And the 1976 912E.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

I think its competitors are the A4, some Subaru, etc. If they made a Cadillac BLS-V or something similar, that'd be more of an S4-type competitor.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Throatwarbler posted:

AWD is just a gimmick so Audi and Subaru can differentiate their higher end offerings while still making cheap FWD mass market cars off the same floor plan.

Snow and bad weather, bad road surface, rallying, and as a driver aid AWD excels. Its a great way to put down monstrous power or get through a monstrous storm.

The difference in price between a FWD audi and non-performance AWD Audi isn't that great, and even come in the same models. Subaru hasn't made a FWD from AWD car since 1996 or so, etc.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Seat Safety Switch posted:

They need to make this loving car right now.

Too bad midsize/compact cars are so cheap here, otherwise we could probably have a North American version of the performance kei car segment - tiny engines with well-matched turbocharging. Just look at cars like the Honda City Turbo II. We could have that instead of a Smart Fortwo.

Honda City Turbo II versus Daihatsu Charade GTti is my touge battle dream.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

The turbo ECOtec is basically everything right that Mopar did wrong with with SRT-4 engine.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

travisray2004 posted:

wonder if the R will be AWD

Audi TT?

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

ehnus posted:

code:
 R  +-- 1
 |  |
 +--+--+ 
    |  |
3 --+  2

Total classic.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

The Escape/Tribute seems to sell pretty well, so its not really a bad bet to make a softer, more economical, easier to drive SUV.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

That would be idiotic, why would the more eocnomical engine option get the performance designation? If I wanted my performance engine to rev to 5000RPM, I'd get something with an early SBC. VW diesel owners doon't pay the premium over the gasoline fuelled counterpart because someone makes a chip to make it faster.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Throatwarbler posted:

Tha Aveo looks fine, and maybe some of us care more about go than sho. :colbert:

I think the turbo+auto is coming later in the year, just not available right now.

As far as aftermarket, I did a quick search and it looks like you can get to 180hp with a chip tune and removal of the restrictor plates in the intake manifold.

http://www.chevroletcruzeforum.com/index.php?/topic/1281-vermont-tuning-cruze-custom-performance/

Pretty sure those are tumble generators, not 'restrictor plates'. They might function as the latter at over stock airflows, but were intented to tumble air into the chamber, aiding fuel/air mixing and cylinder swirl.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

You can increase volumetric efficiency, but even on 20 year old engines they did CFD analyses, so losing power with whale dong intakes is the real probability.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

They need to enter it in WRC. Its tiny, 1.6L Turbo DI, AWD enabled chassis. Homologation manual/AWD special?

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

rscott posted:

10 and 2 you heathen

Not in any racing ever.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Coredump posted:

Are you sure about? Like 100% sure? I'm pretty sure if I take the time to go research I'm going to find someone that contradicts you.

I suppose WRC changes to single hands on shifts like any other non-paddle shifter placement. F1 wheels are more like 9:30 and 2:30, they are more square than round, but their lock-to-lock steering ratio is less than a single revolution.

The 9/3 placement of hands provides the most accuracy for turning, I suppose if you had really slow steering, lot of play, or needed serious leverage a 10/2 position might suit more.

Knee driver supremacy.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

PT6A posted:

I've always wondered: if you're going to go to the trouble of making an AWD vehicle, why not offer a RWD version instead of a FWD version for people who don't want AWD? RWD vehicles feel so, so much better to drive than FWD, and if you're worried about winter/offroad driving, you should go with AWD anyway.

Because the applied AWD design in that car doesnt mean that you can put 100% of power to the rear as the drivetrain or suspension might not be up to it. That and a front heavy transverse engine RWD car would handle like total crap.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Phone posted:

Subaru likes to hang their engines as far forward as possible.

The boxer and drivetrain packaging that Subaru uses is pretty entrenched, they didn't adopt a oilpan axle pass-through system like BMW or Nissan, so having a 2cylinder long engine was their solution. It'd be pretty hard anyway, given their crank throws would maybe interfere with the axle. Unforunately, the forward-mount boxer design's only benefit is a lower cG, polar moments go nuts, packaging gets complicated with modern VVT cylinder heads and maintenance, and you end up following a philosophy meant for a pushrod 4boxer and lever activated 4wd. You can solve the cG problem by raising the engine above the level of the monocoque's rails, but you lose the only benefit of the design.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Cat Terrist posted:

Not often I disagree but mate, no. The Subie egnine's mass is even more compacted than a rotary and the apparent overhang is nothing more than the ancillaries - the main mass is quite a way back and centrallised, which is even more pronounced in the BRZ.

Crank throws interfere with a RWD layout....?

cG issue?!?!?! Sorry but what???

The crank centerline of a normal transverse-mounted engine is not more than a few inches forward of the axle center-line (the ring gear diameter plus the drive gear off the output shaft plus the distance from the input shaft to output shaft), where in the Boxer the flywheel, clutch and entire crank length is forward of the axle, nearly a foot from the axles to the front of the heads, plus ancillaries. It somewhat related to why Subaru wasn't competitive in WRC. There were lot of reasons before their inability to meet the new requirements, but one was (I heard it from a prodrive article) that they were unable to move the engine backwards in any sort of reasonable regard, where Ford and Citroen WRC engines are canted back at like 50degrees to help the polar moment. The heads were basically over the axle centerlines.

I suppose you could install an integral driveshaft in the oilpan like BMW/Nissan did with their longitudinal AWD cars, but I think the Subaru engine is placed too far down in the bay to make it workable, I've never seen it tried with a boxer.

The boxer is a compromise of an old design decision (or legacy of design) to solve a problem that doesn't exist on this car, being the front axles. I haven't the slightest idea why Toyota went with such a silly design idea, though they don't have any current sporty engines at all and maybe the FB could tune up nicely, though Subaru isn't know for its N/A engines.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Un-l337-Pork posted:

Check out my sweet new Mazdarati.

My Mazdarati doesn't do 185

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

InitialDave posted:

I'm always willing to stick up for torsion beams. They're simple, light, and a well-designed one is like having trailing arm IRS with an integrated anti-roll bar.

You can't automatically say IRS is better. It has the potential to be better if it's well designed, but it's not a guarantee or anything.

Its not a torsion beam like a VW (which is okay despite having absurd unsprung weight and weird characteristics with bushing deflection), but this is a beam that doesn't twist, its basically a 4 link dead axle.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

PeterWeller posted:

Yeah, but a lot of RWD outright sports cars still come with open diffs. They're not standard on Miatas, Mustangs, Camaros, 350Zs, Genesis Coupes, or even Boxsters and Caymans. I'm always shocked by how many very sporty cars don't have LSDs when my chumpy little Civic Si does.

Most of those can still have an acceptable driving experience with some fun, whereas an overpowered FWD car with an open diff (and unequal length drive axles combined with that) ends up being a torque steering shitpile.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

kimbo305 posted:

Corvette has never been saddled with the burden of it. SLA went away with the 4th gen Camaros/Firebirds.

I am pretty sure the first generation Corvette had a solid rear axle, but it didn't have a V8 on launch either.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

InitialDave posted:

I believe rally driver Maurice Gatsonides (of speed camera fame) did this to his brake lights, so competitors couldn't gauge his braking points.

A Baja desert racer told me he'd do this through sand traps, so people behind him would go too fast and crash out. Hell of a sportsman :smith:

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

drgitlin posted:

Ford actually only invested £100,000 in the Cosworth DFV.

In money of that era from what I imagine, which was likely a whole years racing budget at the time. Not that it didn't have staying power, it made it in and out of the Turbo era...20 years later.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Powershift posted:

You can really tell who hauls poo poo and who doesn't.

There are more than one company that offers auxiliary tanks that would fit in addition to your large (single? dual?) tank setup, so having to drive out of the way is a bit silly. Hell, there are underbed tanks that would probably take you closer to 100 gallons if you replaced your factory tank(s) too.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Xguard86 posted:

maaan why cant they make these things with rwd. I'm cool with it in small cars because of space/weight and I think the lighter weight lower hp makes it less apparent but if you've got midsize+ its just hard to swallow front wheel drive. Especially Mazda where they try to claim they're sport oriented.

Because only enthusiasts care about RWD, FWD has so many plusses from a manufacturing and efficiency point, you'd have to make them more expensive to appeal to the people who wouldn't buy a white good family sedan anyway.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Until you drive something with half its curb weight, with a chassis not from 1974, or not designed for being treated like a whipping boy (that jumps curbs) by fleets of all kinds. I never thought they were any good at anything but being ironic with some fantasy durability no owner would ever dare test.

They certainly are not comfortable if you'd had the pleasure of riding in one how most people do, in cuffs. I drove a well maintained Marauder once and it was like driving a slower shittier 96 Impala SS, which itself was a container for a marginal v8, bad handling, and poor brakes.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

DoLittle posted:

Official press release and images of the Alfa 4C are out: http://www.alfaromeopress.com/press/article/115460

4 m long, 2 m wide, 1.18 m tall, 2.4 m wheelbase (tiny). Less than 4 kg/hp, so 235hp and <940 kg (<2070 lbs)?

Definitel low slung, but as long as my 99 Impreza Outback Sport. Not something I'd call tiny.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

It's a lot more than I thought it would be. I was expecting BRZ money, not Cayman.

Sure looks nice though.

Alfa is marketed as a premium brand, doubly so for the US re-introduction.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

bull3964 posted:

I just think they're going to have trouble with finding the people that have Cayman money buying in this car segment that will divorce themselves from the Porsche badge.

I don't know, Alfa Romeo is a pretty strong brand, and they can at least trundle along with brand mysticism for a long time.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

MrChips posted:

With that wheelbase and track, I'm going to hazard a guess that the handling of the 4C can be summed up as "tricky". Also, I'll bet it's going to ride like crap on our bad North Ameican roads. I mean, being a focused sports car means it's going to ride harshly no matter what; what I'm saying is that it's going to be almost intolerable.

That is probably the wildest speculation you could possibly have. What basis do you have for that? The Fiat 600? Mk1 Toyota MR2? Modern cars with true dastardly handling barely exist anymore, besides the Elise which isn't even in production. The Elise was designed to be an uncompromisingly light near-race car, not a nice place to sit in traffic or drive sloppily in inclement weather. The 4C won't be an Elise, it will be more like a Cayman or a Z4.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Front and rear subframes do not mean its not a stock chassis, but neither does a seam-welded souble-skinned body in white.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Cat Terrist posted:

Ummmm..... no. Tossing the front and rear for purpose built replacements is fundamentally changing the chassis to something a hell of a lot different.

Yes in the way that the suspension geometry can be changed; pickup points moved, anti squat/dive set in but I wasn't saying that. I was saying that a cage and custom subframes don't completely make up for a bad unibody if said car had one.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Throatwarbler posted:

Oh no, the new Bently SUV is literally just going to be a rebadged Touareg.

Will there ever be a day when VW finally runs out of brand equity to throw into the fire?

They're becoming GM so fast.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Laserface posted:

What about when fully electric cars are mainstream? Will we still see cars like the Tesla with a gearbox driving the wheels, or will we see AWD cars with a motor and gearbox at each corner? electric power at least makes delivering power to each wheel less of a hassle than with a drivetrain.

If there were 20 million electric cars each pulling 1500W to charge at night, that's 30GW of load, which is a lot when you think the entire generating capacity of California is 92GW. Night is a low draw time, but you'd have to have a charger controller network able to understand the power grid's status and shift chargers on/off the grid when capacity was an issue.

edit: If everyone had nothing change but their cars were electric (lots of big cars per person), there's not many other options than Nuclear for its huge generating capcity, and really that is a political minefield itself.

DJ Commie fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Mar 22, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Snowdens Secret posted:

You can put small, clean generators on branches of the grid. Like every neighborhood would have a fuel cell or two at the entrance. Runs off NG, makes extra hydrogen for hydrogen cars, powers house A/C during the day and charges cars at night. Minimal infrastructure upgrades to the main grid needed. South Koreans are already starting to do this by putting cells in larger apartment buildings and the Japanese are doing a sort of microgrid variant as response to the widespread blackouts after Fukushima.

You're right that Nuke long term is the only baseload option but moving that juice through the grid requires significant transmission upgrades as well.

Localizing generation has its own problems, though. You have issues with syncing, controlling which direction power flows in, and that generally small generation plants aren't as efficient as larger plants. However, local regional power does open up cogeneration, which is a huge benefit in colder areas of the world. Large nuclear facilities with cogeneration could knock out massive amounts of CO2 emissions in entire regions, you could run drat near everything off of steam and electricity in areas without need for long-range road transport. Designing that from the ground up is easy, making that work in an environment not designed like that in the first place would be much harder.

Doing cogeneration and grid enhancements for electric cars would probably be easiest in cities like NYC, where there already is steam transmission networks and underground cabling infrastructure.

The real problem is that personal transport sucks, its a massive waste of finite resources and is ingrained into how people go about their lives, it will probably never change.