Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer
I'm in the market for a new car to zoom around in and I decided I want a RWD coupe, but I am trying to keep it in the mid 20's range. After doing some research, I remembered the Hyundai Genesis. Now I know it has been mentioned within the last 15 pages of this thread, but there have been some rumors flying that make this thing sound pretty tempting. If nothing else, it is going to be one hell of a contender for the Toyota and Subaru FT-86 twins.

Warning, rumor content below since nothing has been confirmed, but is very likely.

Most of this comes from a C&D article linked below. It seems the body will be getting a slight facelift, meaning new front and rear bumpers as well as possibly some other minor tweaks. But what is really exciting is what's happening under the sheet metal for both the coupe and the sedan.

Coupe:
The 3.8L V6 will most likely be getting direct injection, taking the engine from the current 306hp and 266 ft lbs. to 333hp and 291 ft lbs, and the 2.0L turbo will be getting the engine from the 2011 Sonata, which has direct injection as well and pumps 274hp and 269 ft lbs through a twin scroll turbo compared to the '11 model's 210/233 rating. That is a significant bump for what appears to be no big difference in price range. I feel bad for the poor saps that just bought the '11 models. Very reminiscent of the 2008 to 2009 WRX "265" fiasco.

The other interesting part about the coupe is this:

Car and Driver posted:

"There is a distinct possibility that this car, seen testing in the snow, is packing all-wheel drive, which company CEO John Krafcik has said is headed for the Genesis coupe at some point."

http://tinyurl.com/2012gencoupe

Also, what has me even MORE excited is this image, which is pretty clearly a photoshop as there is no official word from Hyundai, but the car forums are a buzz that this could be KIA's future version of the RWD genesis coupe platform. If that is the case, I'll take two please.

Onto more concrete news. This was mentioned very briefly about 30 pages ago, but now there are pics!

The 2012 Genesis Sedan has been confirmed to have a new R-Spec trim, which has this badge...

...because it is now sporting a 5.0 liter V8 making 429hp.

http://tiny.cc/0t7wq

There was a brief rumor that it would be making its way into the coupe, but Hyundai apparently said that the chassis was not designed for that engine. Might have to wait until the next generation.

The 2012 models are slated for Fall '11, so it looks like I'll be waiting for a bit to see how they will compare to the FT-86. It's going to be an interesting 2012 in the RWD sports coupe market next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Crustashio posted:

I've been hearing the "sonata engine in new genesis" for awhile now, but 274hp in the genesis would have me giving it serious consideration. That would put it way below the MS3, WRX, and GTI for pricing. You don't get an LSD, but here the base genesis starts at 5k cheaper than the other 3. If the ft-86 is the same price as the genesis I don't see it doing that well.

Hyundai has to step it up to stay competitive. The 370Z, Mustang, and Camaro, which seem to be the Genesis Coupe's competition, keep getting more and more powerful. If they don't put the direct injection in the Genesis to bump the power, they will fall behind considerably. I would seriously have went out and bought an '11 Genesis Coupe last week if I didn't see there was a chance for this new engine. If I bought an '11 and then 6 months later it had 64 more horses I'd be pretty pissed off.

And the Genesis Coupe does come with an LSD, just not in the base model. In fact, I'm a little annoyed with the Genesis options. I want a Genesis Coupe with the 2.0 Turbo, LSD, leather, sunroof, and 6 speed manual. But you can only get the leather and sunroof on the Premium 2.0T model, which is automatic only and no LSD. The LSD comes with the Track and R-Spec models, which are 6 speed, but no sunroof or leather.

The only way to get the LSD, leather seats, sunroof, and 6 speed, is the 3.8 Track version, which is not the engine I want. I really hope they fix this for 2012.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer

wav3form posted:

You can live without a sunroof and you can always get the interior redone in leather with better quality leather for a grand or even less depending on who does it. It does suck that you can't pick options "a la carte" as much as you used to be able to.

It's either this car or a used S2000. I'd rather be able to split the difference between a convertible and no sunroof at all. My last 3 cars haven't had a sunroof and it'd sure be nice. I think I'm going to walk into a dealership and tell the first person I see exactly what options I want and see if they can earn their commission making me happy, Frank Rizzo style. Probably not, but it's worth a shot.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I've been following the progress of the FT-86 for what seems like years now, and I'm extremely excited about it. I love that Toyota of all companies has joined with Subaru, one of my favorite auto manufacturers, to create a car that is unique, sporty, and absolutely has a place in the current market. I am very seriously thinking about getting one, and I've been a fan of the AE86 Corolla for a decade at least, even adding to my excitement.

And then I think, but why? What does the FT-86 twins (triplets?) do that the S2000 doesn't? Other than being new with a nice shiny warranty and back seats, that is. I guess it's hard comparing a new car that hasn't come out yet to one that has been out of production for two years, but I think the S2k is a better comparison than the Mustang or Genesis Coupe even though it is a convertible, largely due to weight, aspiration, engine size, coming from the "other" huge Japanese automaker, etc.

The S2000 weighs 2,835lbs, so yeah, it might have a couple hundred pounds on the FT if they can really keep it near 2,400lbs, but if you are really concerned about weight I guess you could rip out the convertible hardware and motors and get a lightweight top to help. But you already have one of the best (and most powerful) NA 4 cylinder engines ever made with ~40 more horsepower out of the box, mated to a 6 speed transmission in a RWD car with 50:50 distribution, capable of 700+ whp on a stock block, and with 10 years of production spent hammering out the bugs. And the best part is they can be had for what amounts to 15,000+ dollars cheaper than the supposed $28k price of the FT. I guess it can come down to the 2+2, but who honestly is going to be buying an FT-86 to haul around 4 people?

I think the value in the new 86 cars is that a company that spent the last 15 years trying to crush their sporty models in favor of bland crossovers and beige sedans has put in the R&D and taken a chance to bring a true lightweight RWD car back to the market. Even though it seems Subaru might have done all the heavy lifting. But I think if I really wanted a RWD high revving 4 banger, I'd save the money and be one step ahead with the S2000.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Cakefool posted:

One thing you may be forgetting about the 2+2 arrangement its that in some markets, a 2-seater is far more expensive to insure than a 4-seater, even if the +2 is a token padded shelf.

Totally true. However, I think the savings in buying a gently used S2k over a brand new FT-86 to the tune of $10,000 or so would help offset that expense.

mod sassinator posted:

Don't forget the RX-8, although I think its days are numbered.

Completely forgot the RX-8, thanks. I haven't done any research on used prices, but I am sure it's pretty close to the S2k as well. Also I think its days are already up? http://www.autoweek.com/article/20110822/CARNEWS/110829973

Laserface posted:

In the case of the S2K, I dont like convertibles. I am not a big fan of the looks either.

Looks are certainly subjective, but the OEM hard top is actually quite nice to get around the convertible part. You don't HAVE to take it off. :)

I've also never been a huge fan of Hondas over the years, but I did own an S2000 for a little while, and after having two Evos ('03 and '06), an '09 STI, Legacy GT Spec.B, S14 240sx, and numerous other cars, the S2000 is the one I really miss the most. The way it screamed up to 8000rpm and would happily cruise along at 6k rpm just gave it so much character. I bet if you drove one it might change your mind.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer

dissss posted:

I don't see why it needs the stupid lift up collar - reminds me too much of a 90s Vauxhall

It's just how Subaru does it these days.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Two leaked images of the Facelifted 2013 Genesis Coupe, (the first looks to be photoshopped) and two official images "leaked" from Hyundai below those. I think it looks a thousand times better than the outgoing model. Amazing what a new bumper, headlights, and hood vents can do to a car. It is almost reminiscent of the GT-R.

I'll be looking closely at the BRZ/FRS when they come out, but I really like what I see with the GC. Autoblogger also reports rumors of a factory supercharged V6 option, which makes things even more interesting.

BoostCreep fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Nov 10, 2011

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer

If only this were real.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Crustashio posted:

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/11/14/2013-hyundai-genesis-coupe-to-get-350-hp-v6-275-hp-turbo-four

Looks likr the genesis is getting the sonata 2.0t motor after all, and the v6 is getting a big jump in power to match. If they can keep the same price points (25k CAD for the base 2.0) it will help me forget about the ft-86 for a little while.

Well, that may have sealed the deal for me. The only thing that will stop me from buying this car is if an STI or TRD version of the 86 twins is announced. A rwd turbo 6 speed with 271hp/274ft lbs is just right. Maybe a little low on power for its weight, but I can fix that. And it looks good too.

Come on Subaru, show me a pink badge on that trunk.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Throatwarbler posted:

The Camaro is literally the safest car you can buy.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/11/14/...l-nhtsa-safety/

Is it wrong that I want to sit naked in this interior? It looks so comfy and inviting. And not just for a Camaro. I mean look at that shift knob!

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Looks like Honda is debuting a new NSX at the Detroit auto show.

http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/honda-nsx-tokyo-motor-show-2011-11-29

I have to assume they got jealous of Toyota's press with the GT86 and wanted some of the limelight. I'm ok with that.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I am properly excited to see new Darts on the road. Fiat has been doing amazing things for Chrysler. Man those taillights are gorgeous. They should be on every dodge.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Throatwarbler posted:

Just like GM, everything that has been put out so far was already done by Chrysler before the bankruptcy. The Dart will be the first actual FIAT vehicle.

Yes, but I have to assume Fiat did have a hand in redesigning the interiors of the current lineup. Go sit in a 2010 Charger, and then sit in a 2011. It's like an entirely different car.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Throatwarbler posted:

So the new Integra is out too.

Is that officially an Integra? It's called the ILX concept on Acura's website. Those door handles look really awkward to me. Something about how low on the door and close together they are due to the weird body lines.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer

davebo posted:

Raped? That Eclipse was asking for it, driving around with half its parts exposed:

With the hood and hatch looking like that, it makes the regular doors look as though they're opening the wrong way.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Cream_Filling posted:

See, some dingus in Toyota NA complained that the xB was "too Japanese" and too small. So they added one foot in length, 700 lbs in curb weight, and $3000 to the MSRP to "fix" it. Then, they sold it in the midst of a massive recession that's resulted in 20+% youth unemployment or more. But, clearly, the original was just a fad since people stopped buying it even after they "fixed" it.

I see stuff like that all the time in my line of work. I can only shake my head and hope people get fired for those decisions. It's pretty simple:

CEO looks at sales spreadsheet.
Notices the pre-redesign model of a car clearly outsells the poo poo out of the "new and improved" model for the exact reasons it was changed away from the "selling like hotcakes" older model.
CEO goes to whoever redesigned the model and literally kicks their rear end out of the company and makes sure they never work in the industry again.

But maybe I'm just being cynical.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Faceless Clock posted:

But if you just take the same engine, and THEN slap a turbo on it, you will end up with reduced fuel economy. My proof? Um, every turbo 4-cylinder car even produced. It's very rare for them to hit EPA numbers above 30 MPG highway, nevermind close to 40.

Unless you run extremely low boost and keep the same CR. I installed a turbo kit on my '99 Eclipse GS which had 9.6:1 CR and saw a massive increase in gas mileage. I'd usually get around 340-350 miles per tank on the highway stock, and anywhere from 400-420 with the turbo installed. The turbo was large enough that it didn't spool at highyway RPM and load, so I always contributed it to the fact that the engine was no longer working as hard to suck air in, but who knows. (not me, clearly).

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Faceless Clock posted:

No one makes a production car like that.

It's cool that you did that and received an MPG boost but it's not relevant to what we're talking about here, which is production vehicles.

Correct. It's just a proof of concept.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Manny posted:

I know looks are subjective, but am I in the minority for thinking it just looks wierd? Its like the face of a cheerful but dopey dog.

Not alone. I think it looks loving terrible. It's easily one of the ugliest front ends ever slapped on a car in my opinion.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think the new one looks pretty darn good.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Also most FWD cars come with economy tires and an open differential. Knowing BMW, there will probably be a lot of tricky technology going into getting the power to the ground.

There have been good FWD cars with power though:

Which was 4 seconds faster around Nordschleife than the BMW 335i coupe, by coincidence, and only .8 seconds slower than an E46 M3.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer

dissss posted:

And most RWD cars don't?

My point was that the Cobalt SS is set up for performance, while the Cobalt LT or whatever the base model is called is not. Which is why the SS can match an M3 around a racetrack while the LT can barely maneuver around a parking lot. The argument here is that the 1 series FWD will be "turned into a piece of poo poo". I'm just providing a counter point that not all FWD cars are pieces of poo poo.

Most FWD cars are not set up for performance, but given the right parts and tuning, a FWD 1 series could perform extremely well. That FWD Cobalt made it around the ring less than a second slower than a RWD performance machine that had 83 more horsepower. Pretty much proof that FWD cars can be designed to perform. And let's not even get into the price difference.

On the flip side, I had a '98 240sx base model for a while which means it had no LSD. If the road was even the slightest bit damp, that car would fishtail and wobble like crazy on turns. It had lovely 14" wheels with thin economy tires to boot. Of course we all know what that car is capable of with proper rubber and limited slip differential. It's all a matter of how well a car is set up.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Cream_Filling posted:

Spy shots of new Subaru Forester are out:

Wonder what the different bumpers designate. Sport package? Aero kit? Bigger opening for a FMIC? I like the bottom one.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My 2013 Jeep had a loose cable to the battery causing the alternator not to charge. That counts towards this list even though it was literally a twist of a screw that fixed it.

Still, proper QC should take care of stuff like that.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Kenshin posted:

http://www.callawaycars.com/cars/callaway-c21-corvette-aerowagon/
Body kit for the C7 turning it into a shooting brake.

I think it looks better than the C7.

Stunning.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer

VikingSkull posted:

This is why being an enthusiast is bad sometimes, a car company invariably breaks your heart chasing market share and when you look at it from inside a bubble it makes no sense.

Tell me about it.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer

travisray2004 posted:

I've always wondered what that was. Is that indeed just a foglight or some sort of proximity camera?

The middle one is most likely for the adaptive cruise control. The new Grand Cherokees have the same thing.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer

DropShadow posted:

When they paint the grilles like that, it looks like it just rolled out of a Maaco.

I was thinking the exact same thing.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Throatwarbler posted:

New small BOF Ford SUV designed in Aus and built on the global Ranger frame.

The front looks like a new Durango and the rear looks like a new Grand Cherokee.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think a 1.6 turbo would hit the spot exactly in a new Silvia. That will probably match the 200hp number of the 86 cars and keep the gas mileage pretty darn good at the same time. It'll also give easier tuning and modification paths to get more power to people who want to tinker since it comes with FI from the factory, assuming the engine internals can take the added power. That also gives Nissan the ability to release a Nismo version with more power while still staying well under the price and power of a 370z.

The whole point of the 86 cars was to match as closely as possible the exterior dimensions and power to weight ratio of the original AE86, right? I'm sure Nissan could do the same with modern DI, fuel management, turbo designs, and other advancements since the CA18DET came out over 30 years ago with only .2 less liters of displacement. They could probably match the stock S13 SR20 numbers too.

Also PLEASE call it the Silvia when it comes to the US. (who am I kidding, it'll follow the same naming convention of the Z and be called a 160sx or something.)

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer

It looks like a Civic with a hood scoop. Come on Subaru, make it ugly as you always do, but at least make it unconventionally ugly.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer

KakerMix posted:

I'm not in Subaru's target market (I can't stand their interiors) but this still makes me sad. There are a few older model WRXs that I see around and they still make me go 'yeah that's awesome', especially this blue bug-eye wagon that tools around town. Killing the hatch and even offering a CVT of all things is pretty gross. Didn't something similar happen to Mitsubishi? Used to be well-respected but then turned into a second-rate car in every market they exist in?

Mitsubishi was never a high volume car company. They relied on cutting edge (and usually unnecessary) technology in the 80's and 90's like active aero and adjustable suspensions to make a name for themselves, but now they make generic low end commuter cars with the exception of the Evo. I think they only have the Outlander, Lancer, and Mirage left in the US market. They've been on every "brands that will leave the US market" list for the past 5 years, but they just won't die.

Personally I want to see them bring the Starion back to compete with the BRZ/FRS and whatever Nissan has cooking up. It'd be a great return to the 80's/90's import wars. Or make an Eclipse that is cheap and actually fun to drive the like days of old.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Powershift posted:

Their last card to play was the 4B11T and pretty much everybody has a better 2 liter turbo at this point.

Well, it is going on 7 years old.

Then again, the 4G63 was 24 when it was retired and still managed to stay relevant.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer

MrYenko posted:

New-Gen Jeep Cherokee chat:

WHAT IN THE EVERLIVING gently caress DID THEY DO TO THE CHEROKEE?!?

I thought the same thing before I saw one in person. They actually look pretty decent, especially the Trailhawk one. And it's more capable than an XJ stock for stock. I don't think it should have the Cherokee name, but for what it is, I think it'll sell well and slot in nicely between the Patriot/Compass and Grand Cherokee.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think the idea is, in the unlikely event of running over a trailer hitch or alternator, the armor will hold up and protect the undercarriage of the car at the expense of maybe having to replace a 20 cent plastic clip. That's an ok trade.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Stealth Like posted:

Here I fixed it for them. I'll be expecting a check in the mail.

If you squint just the right way, you can see the tiniest hint of the '68 grille. The LEDs sort of resemble light glimmering off the chrome at the farthest edges and the black horizontal piece with the crosshair is the main opening between the headlights on the '68.

Of course that's with the much improved photoshopped bumper.

It's still better than the current front end.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer
New, a Prius doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but used Priuses are a hell of a bargain. You can get them with just under 100k miles for around $10k (or less), and they return 50mpg. A friend's $11,000 Prius that he bought 3 years ago is sitting at 150k miles on the original batteries and he gets 48mpg around LA traffic.

The only problem is most of them are trashed to hell and back because the people who think it's a good deal to pay for a brand new Prius are also about as stupid in every other area of their lives. So most of the used ones I've seen have scratches, dings, and new fenders and doors from hitting everything on the road. But that shouldn't matter if you want a cheap city beater.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer

angryhampster posted:

I actually didn't mind the last generation Tiburon, and the V6 sounded marvelous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzColdobzDE

I'd say the last gen tiburon was the turning point for Hyundai. It was their first properly decent car with ok fit and finish and a peppy engine. Plus a decent feeling 6 speed manual.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Interesting how everyone uses the SRT-4 as the example for fast FWD cars post Type-R in the US instead of the Cobalt SS turbo, which is .8 seconds slower than an e46 M3 around the Nurburgring and cost nearly one third new. And is FWD, and is based on a Cobalt of all things. And at 8:22.8 it held the record for fastest FWD production car on the ring until Renault made the R26.R specifically to take the title and still only beat the $22k Cobalt by 5 seconds.

Seriously. How did GM make such an incredibly performing car for a brief two years and then cancel it? Look what Renault had to do to get the limited edition R26.R to be FIVE seconds faster than a stock Cobalt SS.

quote:

To improve the power to weight ratio, the Mégane R26.R has been on a strict diet, losing 123kg compared to the standard R26. This has been achieved by the removal of:

* Rear seats and seat belts
* Passenger airbag and curtain airbags (the driver's airbag remains)
* Climate control (air conditioning remains as standard)
* Rear wash/wipe and heated rear window
* Front fog lamps
* Headlamp washers
* Radio/CD player
* Most of the soundproofing

Other new elements are:

* carbon fibre bonnet (saves 7.5kg)
* tailgate and rear side windows in polycarbonate (saves 5.7kg)
* Sabelt seats with carbon fibre shell and aluminium base (saves 25kg)
* Six-point harnesses
* Rear spoiler
* Optional roll cage
* Optional titanium exhaust

It's a shame the economy exploded and all the fun projects were cancelled at GM. Imagine if they kept developing that platform instead of the boring poo poo they have now. The highest horsepower engine you can get in any of Chevy's FWD lineup is a turbo 1.4L making a whopping 138hp.

I think the Cobalt would make a better comparison to the Focus ST than the SRT-4.

BoostCreep fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Sep 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer

blk posted:

The door is too far forward and the rear quarter too big.

That's been the Cadillac 2 door design since it debuted in 2008. It's awful.