Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

iwentdoodie posted:

Holy poo poo, who the gently caress thought it was a good idea to use a Pug as a design inspiration?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Powershift posted:

New toyota matrix!

You can really see the bloodlines there.

sorry subaru fans

edit: that fuel mileage is pretty good, the last impreza was only rated at 27mpg highway.

Sick Minivan brah.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

kimbo305 posted:

I thought lots of cars had lettering on the dash gauges for where the cap was? If anything, I like it when the nozzle on the diagram could be mentally pulled out and plugged into the the filler, which is not satisfied here. The arrow isn't great without accompanying text. Does it mean which side the filler is on, or how the nozzle should plug into the car?

What? It always means what side the cap is on, i dont know how you would assume otherwise.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

kimbo305 posted:

All I'm saying is to reduce confusion if it all possible. On a shopping car, there's that placard that shows how you place your kid in the fold out "seat," along with 3 ways not to do it. On a shift knob, a pattern marks where the gates are located. These are all just little visual aids. It makes sense to me that, when my low fuel light comes on as a fuel pump, that maybe it's oriented that way for a reason.

Here, this is the perfect design -- insistent redundancy:
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/230/493387779_698a706367_z.jpg

Should they also label the Gas pedals and Brake pedals for you? actually put a worded label on everything in the car, just in case.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

kimbo305 posted:

I think it's legit to call it a new model, not a mere facelift.

New chassis, new body, new engines, new interior, new wheels...

What more does it need to have to call it a new model?

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ideOEsshob0

Pfft, Minivans.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Throatwarbler posted:

The Durango V8 is a car with IRS that drives better than the Explorer and can tow 7,400lbs? It's even pretty close to the V6 Explorer in price. That's why I said Ford and GM have surrendered the market to Chrysler. The only other car(not 1/2t BOF truck) with IRS, 3 row seating and similar tow capacity is its platform mate Mercedes GL, which costs 2x as much. I would take it even if I don't tow - who wants a FWD 4 cylinder when you can have a V8?

Nissan Pathfinder, up to 7,000 towing.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

travisray2004 posted:

I looked at this photo and then automatically wondered why I think the Cube is so ugly. Then I remembered what the current Cube looks like. They should have left it alone.

Wrong box car.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

MiniFoo posted:

Subaru's version of the "Toyobaru" finally gets an official name:

http://www.insideline.com/subaru/brz/2013/2013-subaru-brz-debuts-next-spring.html

A rear-wheel drive Subaru is still just crazy to think about. I can't wait to see both of these cars come out. The Scion FR-S concept was unadulterated sex on wheels, but supposedly the final product is going to have more styling cues from the previous Toyota FT-86 concept, which is unfortunate in my opinion. The straight angles all over the most recent FT-86 concept are just so boring compared to the curves on the FR-S concept.

An older spy video of the Scion, for comparison:

http://www.insideline.com/scion/fr-s/2013/videos/2013_scion_fr-s_ss_51911.html

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

oRenj9 posted:

I really don't understand why Nissan decided that the Juke should be a CUV. The Juke looks so much better sitting at a normal ride height. Plus, its specs and styling (in the sense that it is unique) are so close to the Mini; it seems like it could have made a great Mini/GTI fighter.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

69sofine posted:

I thought that was real. The photoshop was missing the top headlights?

Look at the yellow pole behind the car on the left. Its a really good photoshop until you see where they chopped the picture to lower it.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Top Gear posted:

Both get a Subaru-derived flat-four engine and six-speed manual ‘box, with the option of a six-speed auto. Though ticking that one would be unbridled heresy. Output differs between the marques - the Scooby BRZ gets "less than 300bhp" while the FT-86 dangles around the 200bhp mark.

Underneath, they'll be identical, both getting limited-slip differentials and independent suspension. On the outside, they'll be differentiated by grills, badges and wheels.

The FT-86 especially is designed to appeal to the drifters - the stability control system even allows a dab of sideways before it tells you off. It'll be lithe, too - Toyota says it's 200kg lighter than a VW Scirocco (around 1100kg). It gets some trick suspension refinements, too - top-spec dampers and Euro-biased handling. Price? Around £20,000. Which seems very reasonable.

Details on the Subaru are a bit hazier. But we do know that it won't be four-wheel drive and will be a touch dearer - around £25,000, though no numbers have been confirmed - on account of the extra 100-odd bhp.

Will be really interesting to see how these go, really surprised that Subaru isnt making an AWD version, and they cant say that every car in their lineup has AWD now.

Is this the Suby 6 speed from the STI or is it a new box? I hope it's better then what they usually offer, every Subi I've driven hasn't had a very good shifter feel.

Pretty excited to take one of these for a spin at some point though, about time theres a cheap RWD sports coupe that doesn't have a Hyundai badge on it.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Crustashio posted:

Wait, the FT-86 is really going to be under 2000lb? With 200hp? How the hell do you accomplish that today. If it is true, I might seriously consider buying a new car...

Edit: Wait, do they mean a new scirroco or an old one?

It's a new one, so its anywhere under 2,800lbs, which i still find hard toe believe.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

dissss posted:

Kind of related - why are we still stuck with such poor resolution, terrible looking displays in this day and age? You can buy a $100 cellphone with a comparatively excellent high resolution screen after all.

Because those cell phones cost a lot more then $100

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Naky posted:

That's pretty hosed. Here in Canada, you get a base model C series for about 1000/mo with 0 down leased. Literally pissing money away.

Leases in Canada are probably the worst thing I've ever seen, Financing would be the same cost, and you keep the car and can sell it whenever you want.

I dont know what is different then in the States, but it is huge.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

oRenj9 posted:

Of course, there are a magnitude of reason why leases are terrible ideas, but they aren't completely idiotic all the time; just most of the time.

Ohh, they can make sense in the US, but in Canada the lease payments are often higher then the financed payments, its a massive difference.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

The Third Man posted:

My parents always lease a car because my Dad's buddy buddy with some dealer that gives him whatever's been sitting on his lot for a while for like 120 bucks/mo.

And that's the story of how my family had a Chrysler Pacifica for three years :gonk:

My parents actually bought one of those, true story.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

BoostCreep posted:

If only this were real.

Its called a VW Scirocco

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

NOTinuyasha posted:

They ruined it.

Going to agree with you on this, I actually like the way the Escape has looked, a nice boxy mini-SUV, now it just looks like a big dumb car.

Like the original Explorers, SUV genesis. The family that parks next to me has a dark grey one and it looks great.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Throatwarbler posted:

It's not glossy so you can tell its real wood. I don't like wood panelling on most cars so don't feel strongly about it either way but at least it wont blind you in sunlight.

One exception is the new Infiniti M's wood panels. Line up the grain and it looks much more expensive.

I'm surprised how much I like the M56, saw it a few years ago at the auto show and thought it was awesome, dont remember the interior being that classy, that door panel is amazing.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
I like BMWs zebra wood, otherwise I'd rather aluminum or CF.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

InitialDave posted:

A Cayenne Turbo-engined VW Amarok would be :black101:

Nah, I'll take the V10 TDI from the Toureg.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Guinness posted:

It's not a V10.

Duh

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
That Aston grill is tits.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
AWD Dodge Dart SRT-4 would be pretty sweet...

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Laserface posted:

i have a 97 180sx with the switch, my buddies 91 doesnt.

He should...

My 89, and both 93s have/had it, along with my friends 91, I don't see why your friends wouldn't, whats in the place of the button?

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Laserface posted:

I dont know, actually. But mine was a type X that came with the factory fog lights which were removed, along with the fog lights button. Id say the PO of his car removed the button when he swapped the dash lights out with red LEDS :rice:

But its one of the big rear end buttons, wonder if it has a Silvia cluster surround or something.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

They sell this horrible loving thing in Canada...

and some people buy it?

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
After owning my S5 for a week all the controls were very natural and easy to use. Even with all the buttons surrounding the shifter.

The only hard part was remembering that the volume knob is on the center console and stop turning up the blower instead.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

SouthLAnd posted:

The BMW 328/335i X-drive should be out real soon. It will only cost you roughly twice as much as a Subaru. :v:

X-drives are all autos are they not?

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

kimbo305 posted:

250 units sounds about right:
http://jalopnik.com/5942712/volvo-is-actually-building-a-small-hot-rod-for-us-americans
If these don't sell out, I'll sneer even harder at the "I'd buy a diesel manual AWD X for sure!" types.

its FWD though, so...?

Golf R priced FWD Volvo.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Bovril Delight posted:

Yeah, this is really disappointing. I wouldn't see anything here that would have you choose this over a Speed3 or a Focus ST for less cash, or a Golf R for around the same. If they went whole hog with the 405hp motor and AWD it might fetch a nice premium with only 250 models.

Yeah Volvo doesn't exactly have the sporting cache that would get people to buy it just because its a special edition.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Cream_Filling posted:

I want to see mesh seats on cars. Those things are cool on office chairs.

Xterras have some mesh on the seats, not everywhere though, wonder what thought went into the placement, high wear areas?

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Weinertron posted:

I think the A7 is completely hideous, I've seen several on the road recently and they just look strange.

Yeah excuse me while I vomit...

and gouge out my eyes

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

angryhampster posted:

Must not have been all years. My '03 did not.

They revised them and put them in the centre console in 2003. We actually bought an 03 console and put it in our 01 TDI.

Also b5 Audi A4s have the best worst cup holders. If I was on my computer I'd link a picture. Ther are about an inch wide that hold a small cup or can on two sides.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
god i want to change my name to Pussy Shrapnel.

Possibly the best thing ever.

Also IS and IS-F, kinda a piece of poo poo. No one gets off on a Lexus short of the LFA.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Keyser S0ze posted:

I'm waiting for the Segway Turbo S myself for city commuting.

Also: I see more loving SHITHEADS (driving way over the speed limit and swerving around lane cutting, tailgating and not bothering using turn signals) in shitbox cars and giant Pickup trucks/SUV's than anything else. :argh: :commissar:

I wish the CHP and police would yank these shitheads over and do roadside executions as opposed to setting up easy honey trap drift nets and pulling over people going 66 mph in a 65 in a rental car.

Also my mother is 64 and goes the speed limit so please don't run her off the road when she's already in the loving slow lane you tweaker goons. :rolleyes:

Blame the people breaking the law sitting in the left lane doing the speed limit.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Cream_Filling posted:

I think he's asking whether the alternate mechanism offers any benefits over simple single hinge folding mirrors, not why they fold at all.

Because its easier then getting out of the car and folding the mirrors in? My S5 does it when I lock it.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

hedge posted:

Everyone is calling out MyFord Touch, but Ford has other problems besides that. Their dual clutch transmission has been having problems (programming, bad clutch seals, etc.) and it's the only automatic offered on the Focus and Fiesta.

Woah, didnt know that, I thought the trans on the Focus I had as a rental this week felt strange.

Otherwise, they loving disabled the AUX-In and the SYNC usb port for some hosed up reason so I had to listen to the radio for the week.

Also there is no storage in a Focus, big dash, no storage, bad cup holders, some of the lights/buttons dont make much sense. Drove nice, but I couldnt live with one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Touch screens in cars is A Bad Idea.