Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
I want to drive a 1.4TFSI, my friend with a chipped 2.0t golf drove one while he was in France and said it was fun as poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Throatwarbler posted:

Heh, I didn't understand what you guys were posting about until I checked the US price for the old RS4. Apparently in the US the RS4 starts at $66k, similar to the M3 as you would expect.

I'm baffled as to why in Canada the RS4 starts at $95,000, considering the M3 sedan starts at $69,000, not much more than the US price.

Maybe that's why they weren't selling well in Canada. V:saddowns:V

You can import RS2s now, AOC did it so people will bring those in instead.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Hermansen posted:

Apparently the RS5 will have a brand new generation of the Quattro four wheel drive system, with a much more advanced center differential. There will still be a 40/60 distribution between the front and the back, but now it's also capable of sending 70% to the front or even 85% to the back when needed.
An electronic torque-distributor between the wheels on each axel will also boast sporty abilites.
More so, there will also be a "sport differential" as an extra option on the rear axel.

The 2010 S4 already has that, it's the Gen 5(6?) quattro system I believe.

Muffinpox fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Feb 23, 2010

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

MrKatharsis posted:

It's a 4-Runner clone, not a Land Cruiser clone. The 4-Runner passed the doriftu test with no problems, leaving software as the primary suspect.

Someone must have compiled the ESP software while the Initial D game was running.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

frozenphil posted:

Ugly, too expensive, and only marginally better performing than the 2011 Mustang. I can think of a lot better things to spend $150k on.

I might have missed them, but if you're basing the "marginally better performing" on the 0-60 you're only slightly ignoring that this is a track package. You know, corners.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

MrChips posted:

Frozenphil leads an existence unburdened by corners. Or calendars

It was a pretty obvious troll the second he started poo poo talking a car that comes with an automatic.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

frozenphil posted:

*scratches Brazil off of "Countries where I would like to live" list*
*sighs*

FIA superkarts are under 1L, just DD that.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

MonkeyNutZ posted:

Oh finally, I've been waiting for a production Bluesport roadster. Not that the US will ever see the diesel version :(

If it gets the 2.0t it will be a barrel of fun and still get pretty decent mpg.

Dr JonboyG posted:

But they know they can fit Z rated tyres because the XFR and XJR have them! Not that I'm doubting you, but I'd been starting to seriously think about getting a Jag in the next few years and now they can gently caress off. My old man's company recently loaned them €75 million, he should have told them they could only have the money if they weren't retarded.

It does raise the question though - if you replaced the rubber for something decent, how easy would it be to change the limiter?

Z rated tires tend to have shorter life expectancy, and most people buying a non-R jag really don't give a poo poo about 121mph but do care if they're eating a set of tires that usually run $200+ per every 20k miles. Limiters are pretty easy to defeat.

Muffinpox fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jul 2, 2010

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

grover posted:

Ecoboost is more about mileage than power, but given CAFE, it's the way we're going whether we like it or not. I'm just impressed the new crop of direct-injected turbocharged engines are able to offer such large gains in efficiency without giving up more power than they are. It's amazing that there's still efficiencies to be gained that weren't realized decades ago! At least this time around they're just trading cost for emissions instead of cost AND power like they did in the 80s.

The efficiency of DI has been known about for a long time, it just hasn't been economical to implement it in gas engines or effectively mate it with forced induction until the early 90s.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Oh yeah, the lease is clearly for people who are willing to pay a premium to have it because it's cool and neat.

How will I be an annoyingly smug human being about my mileage at the pumps :sigh:

edit: NEVERMIND, it comes with an engine thank loving god.

Muffinpox fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jul 29, 2010

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

DogDodger posted:

Audi TT RS is inbound by the third quarter of 2011. No pricing info yet; an Audi USA source told me that they're hoping for "significantly under" $70K. My fingers are crossed.

gently caress time for another 5 cyl thread.

A MIRACLE posted:

That ducati engine is probably around 400 lbs. So ~1300 lbs curb weight (conservative estimate).

Everything you know about motorcycles comes from pictures, doesn't it.

Left Ventricle posted:

Less than 700 lbs? Would that make it weigh less than the bike the engine came from?

The 1198 weighs in at 372lbs, the engine is probably ~150. Most FSAE cars weigh in close to 500ish even with a 4cyl bike engine, so this probably uses a similar design.

Muffinpox fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Sep 16, 2010

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

eames posted:

A Mini-Van. Picture says it all. :negative:
2013, 5 seats, FWD, will presumably share a platform with the Countryman.

They should rename it a mini-bus and have only a yellow paint scheme.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
Maybe it's just the picture, but I don't see much of a difference except for the stuff done for crash standards.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

A5H posted:

Everyone should be making poo poo light and awesome. You can get through safety without weight.

People want convenience more than safety, a bit like how we don't have 4 points standard despite numerous advantages.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Faerunner posted:

Right but not everyone is a little Ricky Racer who needs a 300HP car to inflate their ego. Some people LIKE the little luxury items. Some people like cars that aren't as ugly as the new Mustang. Some people like FWD.

Nice rant except V6 Mustang has more standard features, nicer interior, and gets better MPG than the Civic Si. It all just comes down to "I don't like Fords and nothing is going to make me think different".

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
Let me take a wild guess, you haven't sat in or driven a new mustang. All of your opinions are formed from either pictures and you probably haven't sat in or driven an si either. Cars are all subjective taste so if you don't like Ford, you don't like Ford, but the new Mustangs are pretty drat nice in person.

Muffinpox fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Oct 14, 2010

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Throatwarbler posted:

Remember back before the new Mustang came out when we couldn't stop posting about the Nissan GTR? The 2012 is out, with the addition of 45 hp and what looks to be the interior of a 1970s Cadillac. I am OK with both of these things. :clint:

Holy poo poo it's like someone told a Nissan engineer to get their hands on a CTS-V to asses how they need to modify the gtr to deal with the competition and someone brought back an el dorado by mistake.

Muffinpox fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Oct 18, 2010

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I'm a car guy living in Boston working in automotive with a not-particularly-bad -but-has-to-be-by-car-commute and I would definitely rather not own a car right now. It's a hell of a lot of trouble for something that doesn't bring me a whole lot of joy. There's nowhere to drive that's nice and it's expensive as gently caress to have the car in the city. If it was not a literal necessity for my commute and job I wouldn't have one.

Of course I might try to have a project car or something stupid like that, but I don't think that quite counts.

I kept a car just because Brookline has some fun roads to drive in, but I just started taking the T and I'm ditching the car and not planning on replacing it. The hour I save commuting by car isn't worth wanting to murder almost every other driver and spending 4x+ what a monthly T pass costs. It also helps to have a best friend with an S2000 who lives 5 minutes away.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
gently caress 50k euros, that's barely 100lbs shy of an RS4 sedan. Goddamn.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Throatwarbler posted:

Really? How about the Impreza, or Exiga, or all of their Kei cars and trucks? Only the biggest and most expensive Subarus (Legacy, Tribeca, Forester, any kind of SUV is a luxury vehicle outside of North America) are AWD only for marketing purposes.

Leather isnt a gimmick simply because the most expensive models come with it; AWD has it's advantages if you live in a state that gets lovely weather. I've owned fwd/rwd/awd vehicles, and AWD are the easiest to drive in poo poo conditions.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Sir Tonk posted:

Man I wish. It would be interesting to at least have it as an option and get with the insurance companies so people can get a larger discount. Would do wonders for this country.

I think most insurance companies in the US have discounts if you take a "defensive driver" course or do a HPDE.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

grover posted:

I called GEICO last year, and asked this question. Turns out, they only give "defensive driver course" discounts to elderly drivers. And not only do they NOT give discounts for HPEE, but they will not cover any damage that occurs on a racetrack, and insurance companies across the board (GEICO included) are renowned for dropping people the moment they discover they've done HPDEs. I guess, demographically, people who do HPDEs are agressive drivers who get in a lot of accidents or something.

That said, I know people who have wrecked at HPDE, been 100% up-front about it, and had GEICO fix their car. So, inconsistency is the rule, but you're rolling the dice if you try it.

It might vary by who runs the program, my insurance offers a discount to go to BMW club high performance drivers training which is just a HPDE at NHMS. My friend said allstate is the same.

Muffinpox fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Dec 12, 2010

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

kill me now posted:

Are you sure they weren't confusing a BMW club run HPDE day with with the actual BMW performance driving school located in SC?
http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Cont...+9Dx86T6xGhQQ==

Yep, they specifically mention NHMS.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Dschingis Khan posted:

Cover up the front end and you have an elongated Mazda hatchback.

It's not HIDEOUS but it's far from gorgeous. It's ... well... interesting?

It looks like a 2 door Panamera with the canopy pushed back.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

BonzoESC posted:

CFRP has quite a way to go in terms of cheapness, right? There's no special or rare stuff in it, just thread and plastic?

Carbon fiber weave is pretty expensive per yard and aircraft manufacturers use a ton which keeps prices up. The biggest cost with CF is the prep work usually though. With metal you can just press it but CF needs to be laid out, impregananted, and baked for it to do it's poo poo. Whoever perfects an injection moldable carbon fiber will literally be making GBS threads money from how many business will be cramming money down their throat.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Clank posted:

Is the turbocharged more desirable then the supercharged? I was just checking local prices and the turbo seems to run 5-8k more on average.

Yea, the turbo ones got a workover and apprently are the bees knees in terms of the engine and handling.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Getindachoppa! posted:

Yeah the motor is great. I remember reading a review of the car before I bought it that said the SS/TC engine is what Ford promises to do with the Ecoboost 4 in a couple of years but is available now--I think that is a pretty apt description. Some of the sounds it makes are a bit strange though--I'll be damned if it doesn't sound like the combination of a diesel and a ticking clock at idle.

That's from the direct injection, a lot of performance cars don't bother with the sound insulation so you can hear it pretty well (Audi RS4 and BMW M3) while other sport oriented cars have sound insulation for the system and you can barely tell (TFSi audis and BMW 335).

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Getindachoppa! posted:

I figured that since I hadn't owned a vehicle with a DI engine before this one but it is good to get confirmation! Is the tick the fuel pump?

The fuel pump makes a loud ticking while the injectors make quick clicks.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Coredump posted:

Yes I know there is more to cars than how fast they go. You're not looking at the context in which I made my statement. Autism Sundae was discounting the Cobalt SS because he said its a car that only does well when you look at its performance numbers. My point is, we have a lot of people on here who that's all they need. So for all us to cheer on Lotus Elise's being daily driven and then turn and discount the Cobalt SS is not congruent. They both have poo poo interiors. Both fall apart, as is evident with the guy who had a wheel fall off an Elise. In case you didn't catch that, his wheel FELL OFF. IT FELL THE gently caress OFF. Sorry, little blue collar thrown in there.

It's not really a valid comparison, the Elise isn't a comfy car nor is it advertised as such and you have to be a masochist or just not give a gently caress to DD one. The Cobalt SS is a fast four door sedan which it does exceedingly well but it still has a pretty atrocious interior. It's like how AI generally likes the corvette because its fast as poo poo but every time a thread comes up people whine about how it's interior isn't yet unicorn foreskin leather.

Also the wheel didn't fall off, the toe arm anchor bolt snapped. That's bad engineering, not bad materials.

Muffinpox fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Mar 7, 2011

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Coredump posted:

The comparison was cars whose only redeeming qualities are their driving performance. I think in comparison like that the Elise and Cobalt SS are valid. If one was going to be invalid it would be the Cobalt because you could actually use it as a real car day to day, which would only go further to invalidate the point some people were trying to make.

I think you're missing the part where one is unlivable because it's interior is an alumnium monocoque, carpets are extra, and a sill takes up half the drivers/passengers space and the other is unlivable because it has a lovely squeaky GM interior.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

el topo posted:

Looks like it has two gearboxes :psyduck:

It pretty much, yea.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Throatwarbler posted:

Hey guys remember how GM started hyping up the new Camaro 6 years before it actually hit the market? Honda just announced the S2000 replacement is coming out this summer.

Motherfuck :barf:

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
It looks like a Cobalt.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

kimbo305 posted:

The Scion FR-S Concept turned out to be a bit wilder than what we last saw:
http://jalopnik.com/#!5794071/scion-fr+s-concept-is-so-hot-we-can-taste-it

I think the front fender arches are more pronounced? Overall, it looks more consistent but also a more real car.

I hope that makes it to production, those are some good looking lines.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

el topo posted:

That's the one Audi that doesn't make any sense in my book -- a Golf in a dinner jacket and with a price increase to match.

The A3 is the only car in the Audi lineup to be FWD and have a transversally-mounted engine, so it's going to have torque steer that you're not going to find in the other models. Some of the other Audis are also available in FWD in base trim but they have longitudinally-mounted engines. The AWD A3 retains a front-wheel bias whereas the other AWD Audis have either 50-50 or 60-40 rear-biased torque distribution standard.

TTs are transverse also.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

KidDynamite posted:

hahaha Good luck having a car in New York City(meaning proper NYC i.e. Manhattan).

He was saying if you want good public Transporation or bike friendly city move to one of those three. Also cars in manhattan isn't bad, just absurdly expensive.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
I'm impressed by the power to weight, going by the figures the new M5 weighs in 200lbs lighter than the outgoing!

sanchez posted:

I guess the torque is limited to save the transmission?

It's also done for driveability. When you have two tiny turbos it's really easy to get them to spool very early and use wastegate actuation to maintain a constant torque curve and provide extremely linear power instead of the peakiness experienced with earlier turbos and NA cars.

Muffinpox fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jun 17, 2011

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

grover posted:

I'm still confused as to why these makers would be peak-shaving the torque curve to artificially limit power. Wouldn't MORE TORQUE be even better than an artificially low-but-flat torque curve?

1) Not if you pick up the tab when it breaks 2) it depends on the compressor map. If 10psi@1500-6000 rpm lands you in the 95% compressor efficiency range for the whole band, bumping it up to 15psi for part of it but going into the 80% efficiency range would be a diminishing return in terms of output. For those returns you get substantially more heat produced and higher compressor speeds, which reduce turbo life. Since you have to replace these systems when poo poo break, it behooves you to artificially limit power the max amount of power for longevity. Also, the large flat torque curve is largely a function of variable valve timing, which might be an extremely agressive profile for the whole range, but without it the car would have the normal hump torque profile.

Lowclock posted:

My whole point about those dyno graphs was that they're really really basic (and pretty much incorrect) fits of the real data which I guess would look impressive to someone who doesn't know what a dyno is.

They're just smoothed curves which fit the torque profile, it's not exact but pretty close. That SHO looks like it's pulling timing or retarding boost because I've seen another one where the torque curve stays going much later.

Muffinpox fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Jun 17, 2011

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

KozmoNaut posted:

I wonder how the shifter pattern will be or if it will be sequential?

You could do it with a dogleg 1st with reverse in the same gate and have 6-7 share one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

KozmoNaut posted:

Or are you proposing a lockout similar to BMW's and VAG's gearboxes?

You could probably center on the 4-5 gate and have a lockout for 1st above whatever mph exceeds 1st gear red line. 1-2 would still be a weird shift. I could also see a sequential, then they could use the pdk gear indicator reverse engagement mechanism (button) and not have to deal with making two different clusters.

Muffinpox fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jun 30, 2011