Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Do we know actual ratios on the 7M and the dif?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

On further inspection -- is the whole 7-R leg locked out unless you do something special? If that's the case, it would make sense to me. But if 7 is directly accessible from all gears, then you have four distinct L-R positions instead of just three, all accessible at any time, and that would seem to make it a lot easier to miss a shift. You'd have to be able to stop at a "midpoint" that wasn't the actual middle, whereas with three legs you just have full left/full right/no pressure.

If 7 and R are on their own little track that you can't access in normal shifting, then yeah it's just the same as any other 6-speed with R off to the side and that's fine.
R is locked out unless stopped, 7 will be locked unless in 6th (or 5th?), as far as I know.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You sure thats not a 90s miata that somebody played a joke on by changing the front bumper?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

hawt

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

RWD? That will do.
Except GM. :(

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

davebo posted:

Edit: vv I can't believe I never noticed that, or just didn't remember it. I don't think any of the gt-r's I've seen in real life have had that roof though, and I see plenty of photos online of it with CF and with painted roofs. How's that work, is the CF roof an option you can pay extra for or is the painted roof additional? Also has Chevy given any indication there'll be a glass targa top available?
C7 has 3 options.
Body colored carbon fiber
Unpainted carbon fiber
Transparent

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Zorak of Michigan posted:

My original remark about the horsepower wars was in this context:

Poorvette could be more fun to drive than a Mustang GT, and if they can't make it because the market won't see past the GT's 420hp, then to hell with horsepower wars. I intended my remark for that context and not as an indictment of horsepower in general.
I'd rather have a 350HP C7 than any amount of HP in a Mustang chassis. And I already drive a mustang.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

New wallpaper time.

grover posted:

My god that looks good. How much heavier is it than the coupe?
With the corvette being designed as an open top (targa) car, I dont think theres much/any weight penalty for the convertible versions.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Tusen Takk posted:

My mate spotted a Cadillac ELR today and sent this to me.

I rather like it :allears:
What segment is the ELR?
e: nm. Its the caddy volt.
Shrug.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Mar 4, 2013

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Augmented Dickey posted:

What exactly is the purpose of wrapping test mules with those wierd black and white patterns, anyway? Is it just to make the car more difficult to identify?
Its supposed to confuse and hide details rather than conceal.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dazzle_camouflage

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Mar 4, 2013

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

eames posted:

New 991 GT3

http://jalopnik.com/2014-porsche-911-gt3-this-is-it-450987702

no more manual, PDK only.

this is just in:

475 hp
3.5 sec to 100 km/h (997 GT3: 4.1 sec, apparently the GT3 uses a "vastly improved" version of the 991's PDK)
rear axle steering :pcgaming:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECATvlRf3ls
Looks like every other 911 of the last decade.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

:BIG GRIN:
This looks... intriguing.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Mar 6, 2013

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

asmallrabbit posted:

Am I the only one that finds it annoying that the speedometer is small and off to the side while the rpms are right in the center?
HUD gets around that, since you really are the only one. Tach is far more precise for knowing if you are gaining/losing speed, and beyond that the exact speed isn't very important.

Between HUD and the multi-mode digital main display, you'd be able to find something that works for you.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Powershift posted:

The front overhang on these new mid engine cars is ridiculous. The leferrari, the mclaren p1, the lambo veneno, all nuts. They should just end the cars at the front wheels, slap some headlights on, and call it a day.

While I think that is facing the left, I honestly am not 100% sure.
:/

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

SouthLAnd posted:

When I was in high school I had a legit hard-on for those gen Eclipse. I also love the 90's Thunderbirds and Cougars though, so that says something about my tastes.
Sad fact: the 99-02 Cougar was the car design that got me interested in cars. Then I learned how crappy they were and moved on.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

By switching from steel to aluminum they also lose enough weight to increase thickness, which will help counter that by quite a bit.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

N is for Nipples posted:

The F150 SuperCrew has an absolutely unfathomable amount of cab room. Leg room measured in acres.
I went and looked at F150s last week and totally agree with this. Had way way way too much space in it. I'm a big guy and literally couldn't reach the rear seats from the front. Normal cab has a foot of storage behind the seat, supercab was a little bigger than necessary, but the supercrew was at least twice as big as it should be.

I'd love a 2.7 ecoboost Ranger. :(

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Seat Safety Switch posted:

From what I understand from Subaru dealers it's no longer selling well. I haven't been back to either Subaru dealer because of how I was treated last time I was looking for test drives - their loss.
Strange, since I've noticed a few around town lately and they are so drat pretty.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Cream_Filling posted:

I also think it's pretty ugly.

I'd put the chances of that makign it to market as a small RWD sedan at close to zero. Nissan is still not in particularly good financial health. At best, expect a rebodied Nissan Micra.

It's also possible that the Lexus RC will be the Supra in other markets.

observe the (de)evolution
[mg]http://i.imgur.com/ak3qFkyl.jpg[/timg]

[mg]http://i.imgur.com/xgv8QwVl.jpg[/timg]
Id consider that one but not the other two.

Cocoa Crispies posted:

I keep waiting for the game to finish loading the high polygon and detailed texture versions of them.
Those are pretty damned ugly, and I'm pretty much the expected target market (albeit an opinionated member of the target market).

I find it hard to believe toyota would put a Lexus against the Z car and a toyota against the GTR, especially as the Supra was originally lined up along the RX7 and the 300ZX.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

PeterWeller posted:

The strategy that led them to bankruptcy was sitting back and emphatically not learning lessons.

I'm not sure why you are talking about competition between the Canyon and F-150. They occupy different segments of the truck market, and the Canyon is going to compete against the smaller Japanese trucks. There will certainly be some buyers who move up to a full size when they realize that the price and fuel economy are fairly comparable, but that has been the case for a long time, and people still buy Tacos and Frontiers instead of full sized trucks.
F150 is in the running for my next vehicle, but a Ranger would have already been purchased if it was still around.
I want cargo space, but don't need 12,000 pounds of cargo/towing capacity.
Hell, if Ford had any small body on frame vehicles I'd have one already. Escape isn't BoF (afaik) and the Ranger is dead in the US.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Feb 20, 2014

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Cream_Filling posted:

Why would you care about body on frame if you don't care about towing and GVWRs though? You might as well get a Transit Connect or similar unibody commercial vehicle.
Fine, replace BoF with RWD / RWD-biased 4WD / doesn't come with skinny rear end passenger vehicle tires.

Also, needs vs wants. Its amazing how small incidents can impact what a person wants. I was heading into the brush in NV a couple years ago and it ended up being at the same time as burning man. Some woman had rented a CUV and the tires had disintegrated on the dirt road. Totally inappropriate. Just cemented in my mind a loathing for the damned things that pretend to be capable of leaving the pavement but wasn't at all actually designed or equipped for it. CUVs are city cars, and that isn't acceptable to me.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Feb 20, 2014

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Friar Zucchini posted:

Oh poo poo, I've gone and run out of Internet... gonna have to do some mid-week Internet poo poo on the weekend, gently caress. What's Motor Tre:tviv:

Holy gently caress does Ford know how to make a car look good.
Yep.

Wonder if they are going to update engines along with the panels, if its 2015 or 2016, and when they will hit dealers. I'm semi-sorta looking at replacing my 01 V6 mustang with either a focus ST or an escape Ti and drat that is going to make it harder to grab a 2014 if the ST is getting upgraded.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Friar Zucchini posted:

The article says the base engine will be the same 2.0 but they'll offer the same 1.0T 6MT as in the Fiesta.
I don't get how the 1.0 eco is an improvement on, well, anything. Even the base 2.0 (not turbo) seems better than the 1.0 eco under USA conditions. Outside, where you get taxed on displacement maybe.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Feb 24, 2014

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Which would be?

I'm curious, not snarky or condescending.
Cheap-ish gas and no displacement taxes.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Is there a complete listing of the 2015 Focus engine lineup? I'm hearing about the 1.0L i3 eco but not sure what else is coming in / leaving.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

LordOfThePants posted:

Not really new car news, but Chevrolet raised the price on the base model Corvette by $2000 yesterday. They increased the cost of the Z51 package by $3200.
Not reflected in their build & price tool, yet.

InitialDave posted:

"Are you a bit of a oval office? Then have we got a car for you!"

I thought it was poo poo, frankly. That dawning realisation of "Oh God, they're not being ironic or self-depreciating, this is really the self-image they think epitomises their target market." The character portrayed in the ad isn't "gently caress yeah, America", it's someone who you just know should really be driving a modern Audi.

You want :911: in a car advert, the Jeep and Corvette ones from a couple of years ago got it right:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJocreIOQpM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bq6Nfjmic_4

You know what's on YouTube that really makes me think "Cadillac, aw yeah..."? Macklemore's White Walls.
Never saw that corvette commercial but I still loved the Caddy ad.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Mar 5, 2014

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

dissss posted:

I can't speak for Australian but here in New Zealand those are both utes.

This is a truck:

and we've never heard of such a thing as a 'pickup truck'
That 'truck' would be laughed at in the US.
Our pickup truck would be like

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Coredump posted:

No it wouldn't. I see those kind of trucks used by landscaping companies all the time. Plus contractors in construction will use them too.
Yeah but they are called "carts" not "trucks".

And yeah, I'd still love a 2.7 ecoboost powered Ranger. But its not gonna happen here.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Cream_Filling posted:

I'd bet a coke that it turns out to be fwd or fwd-based awd and is basically a Juke coupe.
Of course it will be. Also ugly, but thats not the point.

Cream_Filling posted:

Let's not get ahead of ourselves here.

First tack on bigger production US bumpers and probably a bit of thickening on the A pillar and/or an additional B pillar to meet roof crush standards and it'll look a lot fatter, especially if they end up nixing the blackout pillars. It also will have to ride a little higher than above for speedbumps, winter performance, etc.

And that's assuming the engine is small enough for the front end to meet pedestrian safety standards as is. Otherwise, in the production version teh cowl height will have to rise and with it beltlines and then rooflines (those windows are already super small) and before long it'll look more like a kia soul sedan.
And thus the entire problem with over regulation in the first place.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Mar 13, 2014

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

yeah gently caress all those laws that have made cars significantly safer for human beings
I could do with 10% less safety and 50% less weight/complexity/cost/design-restrictions, myself. We're way beyond diminishing marginal returns per unit of "safety" we require. Hell; seatbelts, crash standards from a decade ago, and improved driver training is all we actually need to require. The joy of being able to advertise 5 start safety ratings will do the rest for the everyday cars without requiring a thousand pounds and $10k of safety crap on the more specialized performance cars.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

the spyder posted:

Maybe it's because I'm part of the community, but that statement is just flat out wrong.
Couple thousand people on a forum (of whom only a fraction will actually buy the thing) aren't enough, regardless of how big the forum is.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Snowdens Secret posted:

Jesus that might be more embarrassing than the Cadillac one
Yup

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Throatwarbler posted:

Rolling Coal - the truck.

http://www.allpar.com/news/index.php/2014/04/ram-hd-black-makes-atlanta-debut

[mg]http://i.imgur.com/NjEdxrD.jpg[/timg]
Wow, was somebody really smart enough to make a matte painted truck?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Throatwarbler posted:

It's not matte, it's just black. I think you can get a G55/G63 AMG with matte paint though.
Pity.

I saw a matte green viper a while back. Looked mean.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Throatwarbler posted:

General Motors: There's always more and it's always worse.

It may have missed a branch or two on the way down, but it still hit enough. drat.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

VikingSkull posted:

and the Vette to Dodge
Don't even joke about that.
Honestly Id like to see Ford make a genuine 'vette competitor.
And bring back the Ranger.
And return the Explorer to Ranger based. (They already have 3 other CUVs, they don't need 4).

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Throatwarbler posted:

Both Ford and GM make live axle, BOF SUVs based on the Asian market Ranger and Colorado. The vehicle already exists.

That looks pretty good, actually.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

Have you seen the average Mustang / Camaro / tuner-car forum?
I've never found an even half decent mustang forum period.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Mutang6g (lol at using 6G for a mustang forum) looks to have some option prices for the 2015.
http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php/2015-mustang-options-1661.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Humbug posted:

Fair point on the R&D stuff, and Ford does fine all over Europe (Norway included). It's more that the mustang is a very different car to the ones they sell already. It just seems to me like the market for fairly powerful sportscars (ie not faster versions of normal cars) from non-premium producers seems marginal compared to the US. The Genesis coupe isn't sold in any European market as far as I know, and the sales of the 370Z seems marginal. The Camaro is also sold in some markets with not much success.

http://left-lane.com/european-car-sales-data/nissan/nissan-370z/

I am just not sure it is worth making any compromises that would make it less competitive in the all-important US market to make it global. If it isn't compromised, then i guess it doesn't hurt to try.
I don't think the design is compromised much if at all. Most standards are becoming so similar workdwide that it doesn't take a whole lot to comply with euro specs.