Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

Sir Tonk posted:

Should I be blaming Maserati for every company wanting to put vents on their fenders these days? It's bad enough having the stick-on ones all over town without the manufacturers reinforcing the behavior.

No, because portholes date back to the 50s; if not earlier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan
I honestly think that Hyundai has taken over the roles that Honda and Toyota have played in the past; value-packed vehicles that compete with vehicles thousands of dollars more expensive.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan
All I have to say on this topic is that I haven't really been impressed with anything Honda in a couple years, Toyota in at least a decade but within the past year or two Ford has surprised the poo poo out of me. I have never wanted a Ford more (especially a Mustang or Focus).

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Oh cool, they took the XJ and made it uglier.

Apart from the wheels I don't see how they made it uglier.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan
drat, that interior is sick. I like the car overall but they need to make it look less like a drat Wagoneer. It looks like it's sitting 4 feet off of the ground.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

rscott posted:

Does that thing have suicide doors in the rear?

??? The last photo shows the rear door pulling away in the traditional way.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

sanchez posted:

Why would you get one over a Mustang? The interior is less offensive but that's about all I can think of.

It's cheaper? and has a spooled option

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

Dr JonboyG posted:

What the gently caress is going on at Hethel? They've announced a line up of five new cars, none of which seems it have anything to do with the sorts of things you would expect from Lotus. The Elise replacement is 200 kg heavier than the current one! Totally appalling. If you live in the UK you can probably pick up an Evora for cheap now. Makes me want to find a good S1 Elise and store it for the future.

pictures here

Jaguar made up for it though with some new Supercar that does 25g/km CO2 or something.

Holy poo poo. Am I the only one that's very confused between the 5 "E" models and how they differ? I like Lotus' new design language but I feel as if they don't vary enough between separate models. Although, that being said, I love the looks of the Elite.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

Muffinpox posted:

Maybe it's just the picture, but I don't see much of a difference except for the stuff done for crash standards.

Basically a Sebring with new front and rear ends.

If it wasn't for Alfas/Fiats coming here, I'd wish Chrysler would just die already.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

Faerunner posted:

Being honest with themselves might have something to do with it.

You're mad dumb, kid. I am definitely on Hyundai's nutsack as of lately, but nothing can compete with the current Mustang right now.

e: well, in it's price range.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

japtor posted:

2 door SUV vs...I'm not sure what the Juke and Countryman are, micro SUV/wagons or something.

Speaking of which, anyone post about the rally cars at Paris?
Countryman WRC:

I know I'm the AI minority here, but I think the countryman is cool as gently caress. If people buy suvs/wagons, better them be sporty than another CR-V/Highlander/Toaster

E:I saw the Fiesta around town late at night and I honestly thought that it was an Audi (it was a badly lit road) or something of the sort simply by the led foglights, super slick.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

wav3form posted:

So you hate the mustang but you'd buy one if you could afford it? Odd.

Wtf is it with so many in this thread not having reading comprehension?

He thinks it's ugly, that being said, if it was cheaper (assuming he's in Canada) then he would buy it sheerly from the performance aspect.

The other kid is either a huge troll or just blatantly biased. I used to hate Ford products, but come on; upcoming Focus, Fiesta, Taurus, Edge, the upcoming C-Max, Mustang, Fusion and even the new Explorer is pretty cute. That's honestly a pretty solid rear end lineup only to be rivaled by *gasp* Hyundai.

E: Not to mention the Raptor and twin-turbo f-150.

travisray2004 fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Oct 14, 2010

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan
I can see why some people don't like the looks of the new Mustang but I say you all are blind :haw:

There won't be any competition from Toyota. I almost guarantee it. IF it makes it to production, it'll be severely watered down, bland, cost more than projected and probably be a Scion (not that it should matter), because it would be a complete contradiction of what Toyota is trying to market the Scion brand as if their sportiest vehicle wore a Toyota badge.

travisray2004 fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Oct 14, 2010

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan
Holy poo poo, Ford wasn't kidding. The new Ranger is practically the same size as the F-150 (not really but still...)

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2010/10/first-look-all-new-2011-ford-ranger-t6-global-pickup-truck-debuts.html

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

grover posted:

The new CEO of Porsche has put the brakes on the cajun and baby boxster, and may kill both.

http://rumors.automobilemag.com/6719643/news/report-new-porsche-ceo-may-scrap-cajun-suv-baby-boxster/index.html

:( A baby boxster would have been sick. Never really cared for the idea of the Cajun but if it'd help them prosper then so be it.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

MonkeyNutZ posted:

You may have heard about Lotus' new 2010 F1 car, the T127 with a 2.4l Cosworth V8, but wanted something a little more tame
Worry no more thanks to the all new track-only Lotus T125 Exos (equipped with a 3.5l Cosworth V8 putting out 640bhp) that you can actually drive through the Lotus "Exos Experience." I would love to know how exclusive that club is because drat :swoon:

Oh my. :fap:

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

Mr. Apollo posted:

Anyone eve wish for a convertible Nissan Murano?

2011 Nissan Murano CrossCabriolet

World Debut - Nov. 17th at the Los Angeles Auto Show

The world’s first all-wheel drive crossover convertible, delivers the open-air exhilaration of a convertible while extending the versatility of the Murano in exciting new ways. With room for four adults, space for golf bags or luggage (even with the top down), and a premium level interior, the Murano CrossCabriolet represents a breakthrough in concept and design. Set to go on sale in early 2011.

wtf is the point?

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan
Goddamn, why isn't this car AWD?!?

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

kimbo305 posted:

Why is AWD the magic bullet that makes handling awesome again?

It's not, but on sporty mid-size sedan that weighs almost 4k, it'd be nice.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

DropShadow posted:

A4's don't have Haldex AWD; A3 quattros, TT's and R32's do.

I thought TTs had the same system the A4 has?

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan
so I'm assuming this will be replacing the Accent? or will it be a "sporty" alternative to?

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

squirrelBitten posted:

This is a supplement to the Accent. The next-gen Accent was announced in Montreal (not that any news sites picked up on it yet...). Here's the only shot of it I could find: http://yfrog.com/h2dc4rtj .

That's really nice, especially for an Accent but IMO the Veloster, Elantra and that Accent look way too similar. At least the front ends do.

E: Baby GTR grill on that Accent like woaw/

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

redscare posted:

No they're not

I think it was just a bad attempt at a troll.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan
Holy poo poo. Least interesting redesign ever.

E: Why do the headlights have a foreskin?

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan
So you are paying for a poo poo quality Indian pickup with the same efficiency as a gas engine. Paying more for fuel and receiving no mileage savings;smart.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

Cream_Filling posted:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203525404576050070062206368.html?mod=WSJ_article_related

Best quote, from a 2009 marketing meeting showing just how out of touch this guy is:

Missed 90s GM? Look forward to more marketing, less engineering, and lots of corner cutting!

So, new Corvette is semi-confirmed for 2014. Hopefully they don't decide to start cutting, say, the three different engines offered in the current C6 (LS7, LS3, LS9) - all of which I argue can be justified. Now, my reckoning of exactly what is meant by "engine types" may be inaccurate, but typically the fastest way for the beancounters to meet meaningless metrics such as "number of engine types" will be to cut "niche" performance products and engineering in favor of retarded high-concept marketing stunts like Ackerson's current proposal: to add social media capabilities to OnStar. What the hell?

Holy :doh:
This is the prime example of everything Execs are doing wrong when customers ask wtf higher ups of struggling companies are thinking.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

Cream_Filling posted:

Wow, thank you for introducing me to that site. Every observation is spot on.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

Dr JonboyG posted:

Embargoes are down for the new McLaren MP4-12C:

Evo: http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evocarreviews/263737/new_mclaren_mp412c_review.html (includes Chris Harris video)

Car: http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Drives/Search-Results/First-drives/McLaren-MP4-12C-supercar-CAR-review-2011/

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Drives/Search-Results/First-drives/McLaren-MP4-12C-watch-CARs-video-review-here/

Autocar: http://www.autocar.co.uk/CarReviews/FirstDrives/McLaren-MP4-12C-3.8-V8/255434/

Autocar video with Jenson Button: http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-video/mclaren-mp4-12c-driven-jenson-button-video/

I do not understand how people say it's boring to look at and doesn't look special in the way a 458 does, but then I don't like Ferrari and I do like McLaren. Looks like the car has moved the game on from the 458, makes me wonder what they're going to do for their next car, which will be a replacement for the mighty F1. The really interesting one will be the final car, which is going to be aimed at the 911 and be a car you can drive every day (and possibly afford, too).

??? Wasn't this revealed to the public like half a year ago?

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

Throatwarbler posted:

Oh hey some meta car commercials.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWy6A6bLSW0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkUdQtINflw

I just saw this post and oh my. I have generally hated most of the newer Dodge commercials but this is fantastic. When the Charger revs towards the end of the first video, it sounds like an orgasm.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

oxbrain posted:

No it doesn't. It sounds like a sound engineer played around with a recording of a v8.

Yep, my point.

InitialDave posted:

If they're going to be so smug about the "real cars for real drivers" attitude they've got going on there, let's see the manual shifter in the thing.

hahah so true.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

awesome-express posted:

My euro-spec e39 doesn't have any cupholders and is a manual. Trying to drink some water while driving is a huge pain in the rear end.

Mine hasn't had working cupholders since like six months after I bought it. Such pieces of poo poo.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

Throatwarbler posted:

Reminder that the Ram 1500 comes with 3 link Panhard rod coil spring rear suspension. It's a Mustang with a bed.

OK back to the US/Canada chat. While thinking of a reply to 14 INCH I looked up the figures for truck sales and realized that on a per capital basis, Canadians buy about twice as many full size trucks as Americans. Ford F series sales in Canada were almost 100k in 2010 compared to ~550k for the US, even though the US has 10x as many people. Numbers for GM and Chrysler are about the same.

It's strange because I'm always under the impression that everything is bigger, cheaper and better in America, and that we in Canada have to deal with smaller, more expensive and crappier stuff as a necessary price of our social-democratic way of life. Since about 1 in 3 vehicles on the road here is a diesel 2500HD/F350 I assumed that in wealthy America, it would be....1 in 2? Or people just drove chassis cab/heavy duties? or surplus Warsaw Pact BTR-60s? I don't even know.

But it turns out that relatively more Americans just drive... cars. :psyduck: I don't even know what to think anymore.

That Canada has harsher weather/conditions which warrant more use of pickups? Since there isn't a compact segment anymore, it's only logical they buy fullsize.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

Billy Zane posted:

I can't help but think of the Firebird's taillights.

Im thinking more late fiero

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Cobalt SS weighs in at 2900lb, and with 260hp, for around $25k.

drat, I don't know why but I never noticed those are that light. Is it just me or do they look like hefty bitches?

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan
It's obvious that this is the only logical compromise:

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan
What planet are you living on that the PT Cruiser was worse than an Aveo?

Both are pieces of poo poo, but the Aveo is just beyond lovely.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan
Holy poo poo. You can argue that it looks like Pug poo poo but no one can deny that the newest Aveo design is infinitely better. That buick interior is sexy too.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

The Wonder Weapon posted:

I am desperately in love with the CRZ, but I'm not sure it's quite right for purchasing right now. Is there any reliable news that an updated model, like a cr-z si, might be released anytime soon? If not, is there a show anytime in the near future where Honda may make such an announcement?

Basically I want someone to tell me such a thing will exist in 3 months and it will be $19k new

There's been rumors swirling around for a while now that Honda will be releasing a turbo version soon. Have read it on several automotive blogs but don't know how reliable the news really is until Honda announces it.

Mutley posted:

There are some small saloons in the EU that seem to be well proportioned:

Is there something about USA crash regs (stronger side impact protection?) that results in the odd shapes for your compact saloons?

EDIT:

USA car pic for comparison since we've moved on a page

That's because those aren't small saloons.
Alfa = 183 inches
Skoda = 180
chevy = 173

travisray2004 fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Mar 9, 2011

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

dissss posted:

What do you think of the Peugeot 407? I reckon its the most ungainly sedan on the market:

That would be a nice vehicle with that right proportions but the long hood and tiny trunk make it look like a guppy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

SouthLAnd posted:

This is an April fools joke from Honda. They're just poking fun at Nissan for making such a ridiculous product (Murano convertible).

Honda should be the last brand that's poking fun of any other brand for a ridiculous offering, especially with the CT.