Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

14 INCH DICK TURBO posted:

I know it's not like Honda was working on it for a Civic but I thought Lamborghini was doing that kind of thing on the Sesto Elemento?

That was a awful way to do carbon reinforced polymers. The major advantage to carbon fiber is its anisotropic properties. Its shape and weave can be tailored to the loads it needs to take. What Lamborghini did was just through mulched carbon threads into a mold and fill it with a polymer, Its specific strength is only slightly hire than a good fiber glass iirc. The only real advantage is you can say "LOOK AT ALL THIS CARBON FIBER" for marketing and the people who dont know materials will be all over it and how "innovative" it is.

Sadi fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Feb 24, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
God minivans are so boring any any one who drives them cant have a soul or possibly enjoy driving ever.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPepaplIpO4

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005

DirtyAddict posted:

Lotus started useing electronics to change the cars sounds some time ago.

" http://www.lotusespritturbo.com/Lotus_Esprit_Turbo_Car_And_Driver.htm
Lotus's extensive four-cylinder experience has led to a novel approach to noise reduction. An experimental system called "adaptive noise control" uses microphones to monitor engine noise in a car's passenger compartment. A computer resolves the noise into its basic frequencies and uses the car's sound system to generate the same frequencies in reverse phase. The opposing sound waves cancel each other out resulting in a much quieter cabin. The system is still in the earliest stages of development, but it promises to be much more effective than conventional sound-deadening techniques."

Here is 1 car that.. Im sure alot will love a Ford with the RS500 badge, brings back great memories of the Ford RS/Cosworth era..

That's for a totally different purpose though. BMW is doing it to make the car sound better to the driver. Lotus is attempting to do exactly what noise canceling headphones do accept with engine noise to keep the drone down in the cabin.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005

PT6A posted:

So, how does one avoid shifting into 7th from 4th, I wonder?

I think the 7th gear on the Porsche is going to be super tall so they will probably make it so you have to go more like you do to get into reverse on a 6 speed then just siding up like you would for 6th. On Porsche they were saying 1-6 would be close ratio and 7 would be tall iirc.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
This is my boat and SUV.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005

Throatwarbler posted:

So the new GM trucks are revealed

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/12/13/2014-chevrolet-silverado-and-gmc-sierra-debut-all-new-designs-t/

Looks pretty nice. It's interesting that the are sticking with pushrod engined throughout the range, and the 4.3l 90* V6 is staying with DI and cylinder deactivation, and all engines are now aluminum blocks.

I thought the vortecs were pretty much LS motors minus the aluminum block. Whats the difference now? I personally am pretty stoked for a lot of lightweight compact V8s prime for the swapping once those things get a little older.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005

Spatule posted:

WTF Ferrari ?

Nice to see that they are moving their new cars towards their uterus design language.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
The Acura TL small overlap test is pretty cool. It looks awful from the outside, but it looks like how I would think would be the best way to design for that sort of hit. Moving the car away from the impact so that the energy and dissipated and the impact is moved away from the foot well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDJFwtw8L0g

EDUT: Also, HOLY gently caress https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qj-oPkXpAnA

Sadi fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Mar 10, 2013

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005

AdmiralViscen posted:

Oversized in what way? Pushrods are lighter in weight and smaller in size than DOHC, and as long as power and fuel economy figures are competitive with DOHC designs who cares what the displacement is?

I think its interesting to see it being compared to 0.6l-0.7l smaller engines. I mean good for them for including all those technologies, but Id be really interested to see the consumption numbers for it. It seems pretty hard to increase displacement with out losing MPG.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Just don't autocross it.

Why is that? I thought the new ones had pretty stout drive lines.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
Is the V8 direct injected? Im sure all the high pressure plumbing adds material and R&D costs.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005

Augmented Dickey posted:

Maybe it's just me, but the perspective of this photo seems really off. Like they took it with a fisheye lens to make the interior look really cavernous but it just doesn't quite work.

Just an ultra wide lens. The distortion seems pretty minimal but the focal length is super short. You cant really get a picture of the whole dash from the driver seat area with out going that wide. Its just kind of how it is.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005

oRenj9 posted:

That's insanely good gas mileage too. I get like 28 combined in my Celica, which weights probably 900lbs less, has absolutely no room and is a comparative snail in terms of acceleration.

Weight has little to do with mileage on the highway though. And thats whats being compared.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005

Cage posted:

Wait, how does this accelerate the car enough to shift into 2nd, let alone the rest of the gears? My car only coasts 3-5mph in 1st gear.

At least when I teach people, its only for them to lean the engagement point. After they get that, then they get gas and can use more than 1st gear.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005

ilkhan posted:

Mutang6g (lol at using 6G for a mustang forum) looks to have some option prices for the 2015.
http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php/2015-mustang-options-1661.html

Is ford still using as400? God I hate that program.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005

HotCanadianChick posted:

Yeah, the LS3 is more than ample proof that GM has some serious engineering firepower on staff. To make that much power from such a compact and light engine, and do it with utter reliability?

The biggest disappointment about the ls3 and something that made me not look at the c6 was that the ls3 to my understanding has major high cornering force oiling issues. My understanding is running DOT-Rs on a LS3 with out a aftermarket dry sump is a death warrant on a track.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005

ilkhan posted:

The 2015 Mustang will make a pretty solid G-Coupe/370Z fighter, as if the current gen wasn't (drat solid axle bias anyway).

I always thought the Z was too expensive, too heavy and down on power compared to the mustang. Maybe I'm wrong but it seems to stack up against the v6 better than the v8 but at the cost of the v8.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

Honest question - how would you even be able to do that without removing the engine?

No way to do that that I know of. Unless you could measure input shaft torsion to the trans. Or maybe trans and diff temperature differentials and extrapolate.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005

Arzachel posted:

This is the reason for "German enginnering". The vast majority of cars in eastern europe are used german imports because most people here can't afford a new car. This keeps the resale value high so the first owners are likely to sell the car before having to deal with the interior peeling/engine grenading/every part being a wear item. Now 80's to mid 90's Mercs are absolutely bulletproof and Audi/BMW/VWs were at worst not much shittier than the competition, but they definitely haven't kept up with the rest of the world. Dad got a used 2004 or so A4 diesel a while ago and needs to swap out the control arms that were mentioned a few pages back :v:

Having never owned a German car (or any car from the 2000s). Ive been pretty impressed with the interior build quality of my 03 M3. Outside of the peeling parts (which I am vinyl warping) there aren't really any rattles. Taking things apart, the number of seals and foam parts to keep things quiet is quite impressive. Clearly a lot of money is put into it that could otherwise be cut out. I have a friend with an 01 325 and his trim actually looks really good still, so I assume it depends on the trim package as well.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005

oRenj9 posted:

That's insane, my new V6 Mustang gets like 24 on the highway.

That's insane. My gf gets that in her 2012 v6 in almost all stop and go. She gets a solid 29-30 on the highway at 70-80.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
I love how ford is putting proper over drives in some of the cars. The mustang with the 2.7something rear end and a 6 speed on the v6 gets pretty awesome mpg at 70-80. Not the fastest car around but coming from a 2.3 accord and a Miata it feels reasonably quick.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005

Tekne posted:

I was thinking that as well. Chevrolet indicated that the original idea was to go with a large NA V8 based off the new LT1, but they couldn't meet EPA requirements. The silly thing is, as you mentioned, they have the Z28's engine. Putting that into a Corvette with the new Z06's brakes, suspension, and aero would've been killer, but then the marketers wouldn't have their "650 HORSEPOWER/TORQUE!" With the regular C7s blowing their engines, there no longer appears to be a good option for people who race their vettes, which is a drat shame when you consider how well the package performs as a whole. They should have used the tried and true LS7.

I dont think they could have used the LS7. People would have been mad it wasnt new. And with the power of the base vette getting so high it would have been hard to charge a premium for only 50 HP more. Also I thought the LS7 was considered to only be ok. It drops valves, and has oiling issues at high Gs with out an upgraded sump.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005

bull3964 posted:

The fact that every car doesn't have an all glass cockpit by now is pretty inexcusable.

In 2014 when every smartphone has a 5+ in high resolution display assembly that costs under $200 and there are SoC priced under $100 that can easily handle the graphical load, it's likely MORE expensive to put in real needles and the means to drive them.
I see this get said a lot but there is a pretty big difference in longevity and volumes of cars vs cell phones. It's a little more expensive to get that custom screen that handles the temperature range, vibration, and sunlight but buy 500k of them rather than the 5 or more million of one model of phone screen that is built per year.

Personally I like my dials.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005

Powershift posted:

The design is sourced. It's a ZF 8HP90 which is used in the rolls royce ghost and wraith.

I'm fairly sure chrysler is still building it though, lke they do the 8HP45 and 8HP70 designs they license, in which case pennies will be pinched and corners will be cut.

Pretty much. I trust he design. I don't trust Chrysler to be able to make it.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005

Mr-Spain posted:

Hopefully they aren't bringing that body style over here, but I guess I'll have to wait and see.

What? It's the first civic in a while that doesn't look like a boring Toyota. I'd love it if they got back into making zany fun little cars again like Mazda rather than trying to out Toyota Toyota.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
Maybe I'm missing something, what's so desirable about a 3,400 lb car with a 2l turbo motor? I've been seeing e92 M3s with around 60k miles going for 30k as well. Seems like a lot more car for the money if you want something fun and "refined".

Sadi fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jan 30, 2015

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
I think the outside of the i3 is ugly as sin. But I sat in one of the ones with the leather trimmed tweed seats and bamboo dash. It looks and felt so nice on the inside I totally understood it. Ugly as poo poo on the outside but I loved the interior. The that said I don't really like the base model interior.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
The whole heavy cars are slow thing, I feel like I don't see it panning out. We have more hp per lb now, and look at porksters like the GTR, Mustang, and Camaro. They put down drat good lap times despite their weight. I the last autocross I was at 2 of the top 6 cars by raw time were more than 3000lb and less than 340hp. A competent suspension, and good tires can do quite a bit. After all friction is directly proportional to the amount of force applied (perpendicular to the surface) and the force needed to create a given acceleration is directly proportional to the mass of the object. All gross simplifications, but I'm not sure I'm the biggest believer in add lightness any more. Clearly lighter is faster but holy gently caress are fat cars fast some times.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005

Neptr posted:

Tires don't really generate (much) force through friction.

Well clearly, they deform to the surface and it gets properly complicated. That's what "All gross simplifications" was from. The basics certainly seem to roughly apply.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005

CornHolio posted:

Really though, how useful is the backseat of a modern Mustang? I mean, is it "kids will be cramped" or is it small but functional?

I really, really don't like the look of the new Charger or I'd have that on the list as well.

I find them pretty usable in the 197. I used to commute 40 min with 3 other guys and we would use one guys mustang occasionally. At 5'11" I didn't find it too bad. Not amazing but not bad. And in my girlfriends 197 we fit 2 265/something/18s in the trunk and 285/something/18s in the back seat. I feel like peoples requirements for back seats are getting bigger and bigger. poo poo I'm not that old and when I was a kid I rode everywhere in the sideways back seats of one of those old baby Nissan pick up trucks.

Sadi fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Feb 27, 2015

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
Right. I sure as hell couldn't fit it it when I got older. It's just that it seems like unless you have a back seat as big as a 5 series' these days then it isn't fit for humans.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005

Throatwarbler posted:

I guess Ford apologists claim turbos are the future because some turbo Fords get slightly better fuel economy than (barely)equivalent VWs and V8 RWD Chryslers. I doubt the actual segment fuel economy leaders are particularly worried about it.

I would say turbos are the future because they offer a little bit of free efficiency. It's hard to argue with the improved thermodynamics.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005

Xguard86 posted:

Hah glad I'm not alone. Never liked that detail either.

What? I always thought the e36 was a boring compromise in almost every way including styling. The e46 is right up there with the e30 and e9 in my book. I love the e46 headlights.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005

CharlesM posted:

Please post proof of this.

I'm beyond impressed with my girlfriend's 97 civic. Bought it with 160k miles for $1k, have taken it to 5 rally cross events and beat the dog poo poo out of it (enough that at least one of us podiumed in every event). I have literally caught air in it. And it has less rattles than my 95 miata, 2003 M3 and even less rattles than my girlfriend's 2012 mustang. It also drives smoother than any of them and still gets amazing mpg. I loving love 90s Hondas.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005

No poo poo. That is cool as hell. I imagine that thing will be fore real. That's a lot of money in castings if you're not going anywhere with it.

EDIT: I'm dumb, it's going into production late this year. Still seriously cool and I'm sad I haven't heard of it till now. I mean something nearly the size of a 7 series but weighs less than a 5, plus the option of a V6tt? That will be cool as hell.

Sadi fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Apr 20, 2015

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

It's funny, when I first started looking into replacing the Miata a few months ago, there were no RWD cars I was excited about and I was basically at the "I guess a Mazda3 or Focus ST would be OK until I can afford something I really want" phase. Then Ford came along and dropped this new Mustang into the mix and I think I could be pretty happy with that car until I'm making real gently caress you dollars.

One of the drivers in my autocross region just got a new 5.0. It dominated our pro class at its first outing. The new mustang in 5.0 trim is going to be a real contender this year I think.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005

Koirhor posted:

The 8ZF in all the BMW is basically perfect

It's crazy how that trans keeps you riding a seamless wave of torque. Shifts so quick I thought it was a dual clutch.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005

fknlo posted:

Some more pictures:

If you put your finger over the roof and the grill, if have a hard time telling you if it was a mustang or a Chevy camarow.
https://youtu.be/_2Z4PHH1Mzo

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005

fknlo posted:

The GT350 will most likely smoke the new SS because it's a whole level above it. Ford will have really hosed up if it doesn't anyway. I'm sure Chevrolet will have an answer for it, but it'll probably be a couple years.

I'm most interest in GT350 vs z28. That seems like a more even match up to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005

BraveUlysses posted:

Its worth considering that most people have piss poor habits when it comes to when to apply the go pedal, how much should be applied and when to stop and coast while you are coming up to stoplights.

Not to mention the turbo boost fun factory is inversely proportional to gas mileage. I'm personally incapable of driving a boosted car with out hearing it spool and dump the BOV/BPV. I get between 19-22mpg in my wrx in a relatively smooth commute.