Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

anime comes to life and kisses me on the lips
The new turbo Buick/Opel looks pretty loving awesome.

http://www.insideline.com/buick/regal/2012/2012-buick-regal-gs-first-look.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

kimbo305 posted:

It looks a beaut, but I wonder how price/performance will work out against its competitors. The VXR didn't fare that well against an S4 on that 5th Gear review. And I'm honestly wondering how many people are aching to buy a manual tranny Buick right now. 2000? 5000?

Yeah, I think its potential will be heavily tied to its price. If it's within 2K or so of an A4 then I don't see many people going for it, but it's a different story if Buick undercuts it by 5K or more.

And it's no S4, but I'd buy and drive the poo poo out of Insignia VXR.

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The Cobalt SS-T was a legitimately awesome handling hot economy car that was probably the best performance per dollar in nearly any situation. People who say "oh cobalt lol" are ignorant.

That's good news if you live on the racetrack, I guess.

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

It's a great car if you only measure cars with numbers they get on the track. It's not a great car to buy, own, and drive daily. Nobody's saying that Cobalt SS isn't a great performer.

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

Cream_Filling posted:

Yeah, I mean it's not a big deal but personally I dislike it for personal reasons.

The first is the key issue. If the system still uses a key, then you have to insert the key and turn anyway and then press the button. How unnecessary.
Either that or you have to switch to a keyless system, which I've used before in its Lexus/Toyota incarnations but I'm not a huge fan of it and I worry a little about possible security issues as well. I just feel like it's a needless complication. Hell, Nissan's old pushbutton start/keyless system on the Rogue or whatever actually had a little plastic switch located where the ignition lock cylinder was that you had to turn anyway. I bet adding that keyless system costs at least a couple hundred bucks to do properly, and majorly jacks up key replacement costs. I'd rather they spend that money on something like suspension components or better interior materials.

Secondly, it's an issue of interface design, or more specifically how the effects of interface design are amplified unpleasantly. The start button itself is usually a software button, which inevitably means that the interface programming will be weird. I prefer a hard mechanical connection to as many controls as possible, first of all. Press button to start, that I can understand. But what if the engine fails to turn over? How is recranking, for instance, handled? What if I want to only do accessory power? Do I press, release, press again while tapping the brake pedal? Hold for three seconds until the light turns orange? I know they'll have a solution, but the problem is that it will be different for every manufacturer (at least for a while) and it's just pointlessly frustrating compared to "insert key, turn to desired setting".

And the big one, of course, is shutting off the car. One reason you had the runaway Lexus thing is that to turn off the engine, you can't just press the button but you have to actually hold it for like three seconds. It's just another stupid interface thing that you have to learn and remember and hope you can remember under high stress. And since we're all used to buttons that do only one thing and react more or less instantly, having one software button with variable behavior to manipulate multiple controls is kind of lame. Especially when you have to build in safeguards because it's easy to accidentally hit the huge button in the dash versus simultaneously pressing and turning a key tucked into the steering column.

Why bother? The current key system is perfectly satisfactory unless you are moving entirely to keyless start. It's just another pointless feature aping race cars/exotics but without any real benefits much of the time. The key ignition used in most modern cars is a relatively elegant solution to the interface problem, and I'm ok with it (SAAB's critique that they smash kneecaps notwithstanding).

Dunno, if I've missed something, i'd be happy to change my opinion, too.

None of this is of any concern unless you're literally mentally retarded or have that Memento condition and can't remember simple things like a two-step sequence of button presses.

And which "safeguards" do you have to build in to avoid hitting a button on the dash? I mean, I have yet to accidentally hit any button on my dashboard in god knows how many years of driving. Sorry, but I just get this image of someone drooling on himself and screaming incoherently as he windmills his arms around every time he gets in a car.

The point of a keyless system, by the way, is not to ape race cars but to remove the annoyance of manually locking/unlocking your car.

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

Cream_Filling posted:

I was talking about push-button start, not keyless entry. Pushbutton start as a feature without keyless entry has no real reason to exist except to ape race cars since you have to have somewhere to insert the key anyway. With keyless entry, you can justify it since there has to be a way to start your car.

There are already safeguards in most button start systems, which is why you have to hold the button down for x seconds before it turns the car off instead of having it turn the car of instantly when pressed. The safety system's in there primarily for liability reasons.

Quick, how do you turn the engine off and then switch to accessory power? I bet it's a different sequence for your car than on another maker's car. It's a minor, trivial annoyance but an annoyance nonetheless.

In regards to the separate issue of keyless entry systems, I would rather have the money it takes to have a secure keyless entry system and smart key fobs spent on something else since I don't see a real problem with mechanical keys on commuter cars.

Oh I agree, the setups where you have to insert a keyfob into the dashboard (like on A4 I think) are retarded. But come on, it will take you what, two minutes to learn how your button start works? It's not confusing at all.

Yes, the sequence will be different in different cars, and it's also completely irrelevant unless you're Scrooge McDuck and own like 300 different cars with button start. There are also many different ways to operate the AC, wipers, stereo, and cruise control that all vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. It's just not a valid complaint in my opinion.

There's no real problem with mechanical keys, but that's also a somewhat silly complaint - it's just gradual introduction of a new convenience feature. It has no drawbacks and some pretty good benefits.

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

kimbo305 posted:

Do you really think that'd be the end of it? Also from the article:
"Francillon says that the materials ... for the wireless attack cost between $100 and $1,000, depending on the electronic components used."
Obviously the cable version was the fastest thing they could rig up to prove it could work.

You can also break a window and connect the wires or whatever and drive away. There are always ways to bypass any security system, but modern keyless entry systems combined with modern security features are pretty good at deterring most car thieves.

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

Corvettefisher posted:

http://www.auto123.com/en/news/car-news/2011-new-york-auto-show-2012-nissan-versa-sedan?artid=130579

The 2012 versa looks amazing for 11K, I just hope they have one with stick.

Hot Wheels Lexus

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

KakerMix posted:

What the hell is up with Toyota's marketing department? First they have the kids-making-fun-of-other-kids commercials with that Highlander and now selling Corollas with anime?

:psyduck:

They haven't had to market anything for ages, just like Honda. poo poo, Honda's ads are either just a rotating car on a white background or that annoying cartoon dude.

The best ads lately have been coming from Dodge.

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

BoostCreep posted:

Looks like Kia's really out to ape every current VAG car.

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

kimbo305 posted:

Agreed. Their recent 130min firesale ad for the 2010 Charger SRT-8 was incredible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qw7_UTk0d6Y Say whatever you want about their cars but that's definitely a level above any Toyota ad. Made by the agency responsible for Honda's "Cog" advertisement.

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

Naky posted:

Kia stole a prominent designer from VAG, IIRC, to be their head honcho. So that stands to reason. However, his designs are mostly loving fantastic so it seems like it wasn't a bad idea?

Hard to say so far, the guy made one car for Kia (the Optima) and it does look great on the outside although the interior is pretty strange.. like an Audi clone but with no refinement or attention to detail.

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

It definitely looks like Toyota's body though, if you compare it to the concept that was shown recently. The wheels just look like any multispoke alloy to me.

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

Oh yeah, The Truth About Cars. These Chinese Smart clones won't sell, by the way - most people aren't retarded enough to pay even $5K for a tiny, impractical car of questionable quality and with no dealer support.

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

Call me a pessimist but I really doubt that engine will more than double the fuel economy of a Mazda 2.

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

Throatwarbler posted:

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20110524/CARNEWS/110529913

BMW 5 GT sells like syphilis.

I actually shudder every time I see one on the road (not often).

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

That's absolutely loving awful, even by BMW's usually low standards.

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

kimbo305 posted:

They were obviously talking about dimensions, and thus price, which apparently is a big deal to the mythical boy racer demographic they're chasing.

I think this is more about the midlife-crisis-on-a-budget demographic, aka Z/Genesis Coupe/Camaro territory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

Boiled Water posted:

170 bhp in a car the size of a tin isn't good enough for you?

It's fairly slow for a tiny car with that much power.