Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

frozenphil posted:

Is Chrysler trying to go under? I mean, shouldn't your new engine be competitive with the competition?

Do you mean like the Explorer with its 210HP v6, or the 4runner with its standard 170HP I4?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

NOTinuyasha posted:

Alright I'll get dogpiled for saying this but I like the Juke, it's a cheap fake SUV with a turbocharged 1.6 that gets 24/31 and has an optional 6-speed at every trim level. It looks weird but that doesn't bother me at all, because if I see one more Rav4 or CRV I will have a breakdown, and if it's light blue I will kill myself right then and there. I'm afraid to go outside.

I feel the same way. I also love the Nissan Cube.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

heat posted:

Speaking of the DB9 I saw a DB9 Volante last summer and followed the guy a few lights so I could give him the thumbs up. Can't be too many of those in the states (like, a few dozen at most?)

Where was it and what color? The president of the company I work for owns a black one. Put it in a ditch last winter with an AM service tech in the passenger seat. :laugh:

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

REALLY diggin those wheels.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Getindachoppa! posted:

They're a lot less than 25k too. Mine cost 18,500 out the door. It had been sitting on the lot for awhile though.

Holy crap. I need to look for these in the CPO market in a few years.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Cream_Filling posted:

I still really like the 300M. Just a classy looking sedan. Design still looks fairly fresh 10 years later.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Effectively $10,000 for THAT?! Good god in the US you can get a basic commpact car for $10k.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

It's like an Alfa 8C gone wrong.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Dave Inc. posted:

On the topic of KIA, where do they stand in terms of build quality / reliability? They on par with Hyundai now or are they lagging a few years behind?

Edit: I just used Hyundai as an example of build quality and reliability. :psyduck:

I had an '09 Optima as a rental for a week last year. Solid car. Felt very well-built and drove nicely. 5-speed auto trans was a bit unsure of itself though.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Actually... this is a good read, I was searching out other things but take a look

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2011/05/the-chinese-are-coming-part-one-a-tale-of-two-nobles/

The SUV looks like an X5. What is even better is the prospect of a small turbo diesel.

This is me thinking out loud, but with Ford, BMW and other manufactures moving towards turbo's. Have we reached the pinnacle of cramming as much power and efficiency of normally aspirated engines? It makes me giddy to see more power with out sacrificing gas millage.

edit: DOH! I can't do math. Yeah not excited about the prospect of a small diesel.

This is bizarre. The Gabus dealers are huge and reputable. I don't have a clue why they would want to make a move like this.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Jork Juggler posted:

Audi is not making the A4 smaller, they are making an A3 sedan. It is looks to be about the size of a late 90's A4, based on its concept:

Yeah, they might have a few too many cars in their lineup. At least they are less ugly than equivalent BMWs.

My god that color is wonderful.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

2ndclasscitizen posted:

First spy-shots of the 2012 C63 AMG Black coupe. Bit less weight, bit more power (around the ~520hp mark) and wider track.

I really don't understand why they produce "Black" series cars that are not painted black.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

thesurlyspringKAA posted:

Looks like Chevy pretty much confirmed the 2 liter diesel with like 260lbft of torque for the Cruze; supposedly it'll get 50mpg on the highway, as well.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/08/17/chevrolet-targeting-50-mpg-with-diesel-powered-cruze/

Why bother with so much torque? The car isn't terribly heavy. With specs like that it will need a beefier trans and driveline than with 180-200lb ft.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

kimbo305 posted:

Lower rpms turning lower gear ratios (since the torque can be multiplied less) means less fuel consumed, right?

Ahhh fair enough.

Lowclock...I have nothing against a car making good power. I was just trying to understand the point of it when it's a car specifically made for economy.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Some vehicles really suck to knee-drive. 40 foot Gillig Phantom or Low-Floor bus? drat near impossible to knee-drive. My '97 Grand Cherokee wasn't very easy to do either. However, my Mazda6 is wonderful to steer with my fat leg. I can probably get 50 degrees of rotation with knee only.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Cream_Filling posted:

While we're talking smaller GMs:

http://blog.caranddriver.com/breaking-chevrolet-finally-confirms-new-colorado-pickup-for-u-s/

New US market Chevy Colorado is coming, might look like this:

What is the point of this market segment?

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Astroman posted:

Cons: V6, it's still no long land yacht, and it's just a concept, but they say this is the direction their designs will be going in, which is fantastic.

It's also a twin turbo V6 with 420HP.

What an incredible car. I hope to god Cadillac produces it. They need an over the top flagship luxocar.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

SouthLAnd posted:

The thing I love about this is that the car had been wrecked 3 weeks earlier, and the NHTSA just ignored the huge 435lb Li-Ion battery in the middle of the car. Hell, even GM recommends that the battery be drained after a major collision to avoid fires. The only headline that should come from this story is "NHTSA Retarded: Wrecked cars can (still) catch fire".

http://www.green.autoblog.com/2011/11/11/chevy-volt-battery-catches-fire-in-nhtsa-lab/z

Completely unrelated, I would drive the new Hyundai Azera any day over a Buick or Avalon. It looks especially good from the side and rear 3/4 view.

3.3L GDI V6, 293hp 255lb-ft, 20/29 EPA rated.

I've always loved the Azera. Just think they look sharp.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

oRenj9 posted:

Yeah, good job on the classy and understated styling there Lincoln. :thumbsup:

Seriously. I really don't understand what they were trying to do with these. Those grills are absolutely atrocious.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

BoostCreep posted:

Yes, but I have to assume Fiat did have a hand in redesigning the interiors of the current lineup. Go sit in a 2010 Charger, and then sit in a 2011. It's like an entirely different car.

Agreed. The new Durangos are also gorgeous, inside and out.

Very excited to see what a quality compact car does for Chrysler. They were incredibly stupid for discontinuing the Neon instead of evolving it.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Hashal posted:

Didn't the WS6 Firebird have around the same horsepower and speed as a Corvette, so they just lied and understated the amount of horses the WS6 had?

Yep. IIRC, the WS6 just had a different air intake than the base Trans Am/Firebird/Z28. 2001-2002 gave them all a better intake manifold. I remember reading about 'factory freaks' when they were still fresh that would hit 290-310whp off the showroom floor, even with the Formula/Z28/Trans AM models.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

How did a turbo and some plastic add 300lbs to the veloster?

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Or give us ANYTHING with a worthwhile engine and three pedals.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Wamsutta posted:

gently caress the ILX. gently caress Honda/Acura. I bought a 2004 6MT TSX in 2006 and it's loving awesome. Every car they've released since killing off the 1st gen TSX in 2008 and killing off the S2k has been a succession of big, steaming shits down the throats of car enthusiasts. Honda/Acura was once a brand that had heart and soul and made both practical/economical cars and cars with some performance spirit and now it's just slapping a hideous grille and their standard V6 and an automatic into every ugly douchebag people mover they come up with.

I miss the good days. Get bent, Honda.

Considering a 3G TL or TL-S for my next vehicle purchase. So hot.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

XCPuff posted:

The new Impala looks pretty impressive. It's definitely not what I expected.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/04/04/2014-chevrolet-impala-debuts-all-new-design/

Hopefully they will release an SS awd version. Its the same platform as the new XTS so it shouldn't be a problem...

Another new set of headlights to memorize..

Sharp looking car though.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

oRenj9 posted:

You're certainly right, but I can't see why Ford would leave that on the table. I understand that the market for those souped up sedans is small and established with solid competition (WRX). But, if Ford is aiming to get the Fusion over the 300k unit hump, then making an "SVT" version would certainly pay off. They might be able to add 10-15k/yr units for what amounts to some engine tuning and a different transmission.

They may want a model like the to give Buick a run for the money.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Fucknag posted:

It's amazing, really. While he was there, I remember a lot of :argh:LUTZ:argh: from the automotive press. Now he seems to be a missed opportunity for GM to really become competitive.

GM has become really competitive again...

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Holy mother of gently caress that's a lot of Souls. It makes sense, though - at that price point for a stylish city run-about and stuff hauler it's a no-brainer.

Surprisingly they're actually great cars as well. They drive nice and the interior is laid out quite well.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Throatwarbler posted:

Well the 1991 Sentra had IRS. :colbert:

Insideline has driven the Dodge Dart and it looks good.

http://www.insideline.com/dodge/dart/2013/2013-dodge-dart-rallye-first-drive.html

MotorTrend was pretty content with it this month as well.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

kimbo305 posted:

But the price difference between a nice MS3 and the loaded-to-the-gills 3 is only $1000 or so, with the main difference being the seats (MS3 not full leather or power adjust).
I can't think of any other manufacturer that offers the power/fast model for such a small bump in price.

IIRC the Cobalt SS was priced in a similar way, of course it's long gone though.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Steve McScene posted:

It also has a V12. So boss.
He needs those F40 inspired wheels I posted a while back on it though.

These should be on every car. What an incredibly good looking wheel. I am entirely convinced these would turn my Mazda6 into a track-ready race car.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Mighty Horse posted:

As much as I hate Daimler for nearly killing Chrysler, They did this well before that whole nightmare started.

Did Plymouth, Chrysler AND Dodge all need a Minivan? Hell, for a brief Period they even made a Plymouth version of the Rampage.

Ford did it with reasonable success using Ford, Mercury, and Lincoln.

Crown Vic
Grand Marquis
Town Car

Explorer
Mountaineer
Aviator

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

VikingSkull posted:

Yeah, I was just gonna post that. The Aviator was terrible, the Mountaineer hardly sold, and the Grand Marquis/Crown Vic was kept alive by fleet and rental sales.

Remember the Lincoln Blackwood? What about the Mark LT?

Fair enough. Just pointing out that it's something every American maker does in order to gain more market share fromt he same assembly line.

I saw a Mark LT at the lake over the weekend. What a goofy truck.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

There's definitely a right way to do re-badging, but neither of those examples were particularly good.

The Ford Edge / Lincoln MKX isn't bad, and the Acadia / Traverse / Outlook triplets are pretty well differentiated.

Acadia/Traverse/Outlook/Enclave quadruplets!

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Q_res posted:

If you don't mind it being badged as a Chrysler 100, have I got good news for you...
http://www.roadandtrack.com/future-cars/spy-photos/caught-testing-2013-chrysler-100/

Lower it and it looks Volvo C30-esque. I can dig.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Pseudonym posted:

Time to drag this thread back to the surface... the new Mazda6 will make its debut in Moscow.

Goddamn this is a good-looking car, and I really hope we get the wagon here in the US.

In this color, it's like the decade-newer version of my car. I believe I'll buy one in a few years.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

grover posted:

The first car company that can make a desirable sporty minivan will make a fortune.

Everyone always forgets about the 5.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Previa_fun posted:

This aside reminded me of this post that showed up on my Facebook feed a few days ago:

She's really smart and gets to travel the world doing biochem things, but she just needs to buy a slightly used Corolla and call it a day. "Price per miles left in the vehicle." :wtf:

"This Ford Focus is at 80k miles, so it only has 70k miles left until explosion."

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

dissss posted:

Is that even close to true?

What American designed large cars ever had any degree of success in export markets? Those Buicks the Chinese loved sprint to mind but what else?

Doesn't have to be talking about export markets. The Civic has always been more successful than the Cavalier (or Cobalt, or Cruze) and the Cadillac Seville/STS has always been more succesful than the Q45/56 or LS400.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

fknlo posted:

I don't get the "Luxury pickup" thing at all. So many people at work have them too.

I understand for people who tow with them on a daily basis. My step-father has a 2011 F-350 Lariat. Aside from riding a little rough, the interior is inviting and comfortable. God for long hauls.