Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
I'm so very glad that I have no idea who or what Hatsune Miku is.

E: Needs anime voice acted donger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

BoostCreep posted:

The only way to get the LSD, leather seats, sunroof, and 6 speed, is the 3.8 Track version, which is not the engine I want. I really hope they fix this for 2012.

This sucks on a bunch of cars and it's just baffling sometimes. I think it was the IS250 and IS350 where the 350 only comes in RWD and automatic, while the 250 you can get AWD and with a stick. Considering how they build them these days I don't see why you can't just pick every individual option.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

hedge posted:

Putting the brake caliper in its normal place opposite the steering may give the relatively heavy caliper a large moment to use against the steering

If they really wanted to remove the brake caliper's weight's effect on steering they should have mounted it parallel with the steering axis. E: As in like on the top or bottom.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

eames posted:

2012 1 series

:saddowns:

Yeah I also think this looks like poo poo. The kidney grills looks like such an afterthought and that flat stubby bumper for some reason makes me think of an inflated old Z3. Maybe BMW just needs to do the throwback thing and take a ton of styling cues from like old 5, 6, and 8 series cars because even though they might be great cars, they keep going all sorts of wrong directions on the exterior styling.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

oRenj9 posted:

Will you quit your job, move to Germany and become BMW's Design Chief please? I understand that you'd be making a huge sacrifice, but think of all the children who will be growing up with BMWs that look like an angry retarded kid who is demanding his daily box of Chicken McNuggets.

I will get right on it. It would be easier to say Lowclock with a straight face than Adrian Von Hooydonk.

E: For EPA test numbers, do they try to keep the same acceleration for every car?

Lowclock fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jun 4, 2011

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
If enthusiasts matter at all in that situation, I bet more people drag Mustangs than track them, though that might be a "chicken or the egg" situation.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
Real racers know to remove that heavy owner's manual before ripping up the track yo.

Why not just say their target is 0 lbs.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

sanchez posted:

I guess the torque is limited to save the transmission?

It's probably more just BMW makes weird dyno charts.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
My whole point about those dyno graphs was that they're really really basic (and pretty much incorrect) fits of the real data which I guess would look impressive to someone who doesn't know what a dyno is. Here's an actual SHO dyno sheet.

Real (blue is stock with CAI, red is tuned)

vs.
Whatever this is supposed to be

I'm sure that BMW one is doing the same thing.

E: VVV Probably so they can use cheaper parts that are common with their other vehicles instead of having to make some stronger parts that would only be used on a fraction of their cars.

ee:

Throatwarbler posted:

How is either of those incorrect? The information is more or less identical on both.
You have got to be kidding me.

Lowclock fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jun 17, 2011

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

Throatwarbler posted:

The new 2012 Impalas are hitting the dealers. I believe this is the only car currently sold in the US that still has a bench seat option. :neckbeard:
This is a new car you like? Geez, I would really hate to see the ones you think poorly of.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

Throatwarbler posted:

305hp, 6 speed trans, column shifter, and velour bench seats on a 3500lb full size car that will probably retail for $23k, what's not to like?
It's still front wheel drive and is one of the most boring looking automobiles I've ever seen, and continues to bastardize one of GM's best names. I don't know who's buying them besides fleets and senior citizens. I had a fresh 2008 as a rental car once and the only way I could describe driving it would be "Bluhhhh".

Throatwarbler posted:

BMW should just give up this crap already. This and that other GT just end up looking like small SUVs. They've already demonstrated in the past that they know how to make beautiful and functional wagons tourings out of their normal cars, so why are they loving it up now? When people say "wagons are gay and ugly and I would not buy one", chances are good they're thinking about poo poo like wooden-stickered Roadmasters, not e34 or e36 tourings.

(No I'm not trying to hate on roadmasters)

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

Throatwarbler posted:

Yes if a Mondeo had more HP and weighed 400lbs less than a BMW 335i and better fuel economy and was much larger and could seat 6 people with 3 in the front row and costs half the price. But I guess it doesn't have enough spoilers and hood scoops and HIDZZ to impress anyone here. :rolleye:

And somehow it will be far slower, and the fuel economy will come from you not wanting to drive the thing at all, let alone hard. There's been a loving $1000 rebate for AARP members for a few years now.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
Benefit of not owning a minivan is when some other parents want you to take a group of little shitlords to hockey practice or whatever you get to say "Sorry! All I have is this little tiny car!"

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

JaundiceDave posted:

Successor to the Shelby SSC announced.

http://www.shelbysupercars.com/tuatara.php

God drat. Less than 2700lbs with over 1300hp to just the rear wheels? Sounds like a hell of a way to die.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

leica posted:

It doesn't sound to me like you care at all about the driving experience so you should probably get out, this is a forum of enthusiasts :colbert:

Vote yes on prop 91. Ban all non-cars.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
Considering the average decent size dealership probably has at least a few million in inventory, you think they'd at least lock up all the keys somewhere safe.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
Pfft. So the equivalent of crashing half a Veyron.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

dissss posted:

Why would you buy a fwd Explorer? Why do they even make them?

You act as if the average Explorer ever faces terrain more challenging than the mall parking lot.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

Faceless Clock posted:

Then I'll assume you're being sarcastic, since the article did not agree with your statement.

Brigdh posted:

fuel economy standards kill

"Article entitled [b posted:

Auto Deaths a Side Effect of Higher Fuel Efficiency Standards[/b]"]Research confirms that increasing fuel economy standards does cost lives on the road.
Are you just looking at the pictures or something?

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
Are you saying you think a car shouldn't be so powerful? :stare:

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
Did they change their webpage or something? It says much more reasonable numbers than what's listed in the article.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

Peppi posted:

Go to "Specifications Prototype" and scroll down, it's under Revised Specs.
Oh, I see. Well in that case, I am building an eleventy billion rotor megacar that will do 0-light in .0000008 seconds and actually rearranges matter around it to suit its course. It's coming next year guys, I swear! Ask about our bridges.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

InitialDave posted:

:eng101: "Excuse me, Mr Factory-Test-Driver, but this car won't do 0-60 in your book time"

:clint: "Sure it will!" *Makes a 1-2 shift without using the clutch or lifting the throttle*
*Or just does the test in the quicker automatic instead* Whoa it's 2011 already?

E:VVVV Technology is cool. I'd love to see what a CVT M3 could do.

Lowclock fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Oct 16, 2011

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
I wouldn't mind if gas got more expensive if they stop putting that poo poo in it, but I doubt that's what's going to happen.

E:^^^ Yeah my old fiat started springing gas leaks left and right once I had no choice but to put that blended stuff in it.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

oRenj9 posted:

Traditional shifters are a gross waste of space with most cars now. Bring back the column shifters, I say!
The 60's knew what was up.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

A5H posted:

So BMW's diesel M car is a straight six with TRIPLE turbos. What?
From everything I've read, that's been the confusion but it's actually just a single twin scroll turbo or whatever it's called. Two exhaust input things, one boost output thing. Words are failing me right now.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

D C posted:

X-drives are all autos are they not?
335 is supposed to get either the 8 speed auto or 6 speed manual.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
Yep, that sounds like "550 horsepower" to me.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

davebo posted:

That's a great weight. Just take that weight, put the rear seats, radio and air conditioning back in, and try releasing the car again. I'm assuming the COPO doesn't already have that stuff.
Also no power steering, no power brakes, no independent rear suspension, no VIN, and it's Powerglide only and the trunk is full of fuel system poo poo and battery. Where do you think it lost all that weight from anyways?

Lowclock fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Aug 17, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

Moreso, look at the gearbox backing it up - an eight-speed automatic. There's your real cost center.
So does the V8 that's $1000 bucks cheaper. I bet it comes down to standard options and less common parts.