Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

-Spiffy- posted:

Over here an M3 is AU$170k and a Carrera S is AU$250k, and our money is similar so...

No doubt you have an "Aussie" Tax, but the :canada: and :911: market are a little different as 90% of the population of Canada is literally 2 hours or less from the border and the cars are generally identical, other than potential option packages.

Here is another one where that I thought was interesting.

2007 Honda S2000 (jest because I found the numbers on that year easily)

US MSRP: $34,000 Sales for year: 4302

Canada MSRP: $50,600 Sales for year: 123

I'm seriously thinking of making a little side business curbing those drat things up here as even used they still go for a stupid amount.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

New to this thread and on my phone so I cannot search easily but has anyone read or seen anything lately on the Toyota Tacoma? rumors I've heard put a redesign due 2015. I get one as a work vehicle and my 2011 is getting old but I'm not sure if I should string it out to 2015.... I will though if its due for a redesign.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Math You posted:

The same reason all Toyotas are crappy most likely.
Take the "all new" corolla which they finally gave a make over and an interior. Guess what? Still has the same loving 10 year old drive train. A 4 speed. Really?
I don't think it's fair to say all Toyotas are crappy. Uninspired and boring sure.

They do milk the hell out of their designs though. I'm due for a new company Tacoma and I'm doing my best to hold onto it until the redesign. Most were suspecting something for the 2014 model.

It is basically unchanged since 2004 and they still haven't announced a redesign. It's a decent truck that holds its value stupidly well, but it's horribly outclassed in comfort and features compared to pretty much everyone else.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Throatwarbler posted:

Mazda6 Clubsport diesel

diesel engine (if not this car in particular) is confirmed for next year. 31/43mpg, no urea injection, 176 hp, 5200rpm redline, sequential twin turbo.
I would looooove to try that.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

The King of Swag posted:

The Mazda6 would be such a pretty car if the lower half was crunched down to about half the height that it currently is. The car has all these nice lines, and then big brick slabs for the side panels.
I'm not a Mazda guy by any stretch, but I think it's a pretty good looking car for a 4 door sedan.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

DropShadow posted:

If GM actually does ever bring a ute over (they won't), I'd bet that 90% of people who bitch and moan online that they can't buy one never actually would.
I think 90% is generously low.

Q_res posted:

Yes, federalizing another model is a much smarter idea than just making a sporty trim of something you're already building and selling. A trim that will likely sell 2-3x more than that model you're looking at federalizing ever would.

You should write GM a letter so that they can benefit from your genius.
:drat:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Not sure if I should post it here or not, but what's on the market (or imminent) in North America for small/mid diesel sedans/hatch other than VW?

Coworker wants a diesel (and diesel only) but the VW dealer here is a fucktard, so even if he buys it elsewhere he does not want to service it locally.

I heard the new Mazda 6 is looking pretty nice, but a few months away.

Edit: Budget <low $30s

slidebite fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Nov 12, 2013

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Raluek posted:

I don't have that, but I do have this:

I actually like the dodge retro interpretation the best compared to GM and Ford... And I am not a Dodge guy by any means.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Throatwarbler posted:

No. Buy a Tacoma. :911:

They are due for a makeover for 2015 as well but Toyota has been super tight lipped about them.

e: No Duramax in the Colorado until 2016. That gives them plenty of time to still cancel it :v:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

We actually have a Legacy with the CVT and I must say I am pleasantly surprised by it. We bought it strictly as an appliance vehicle (I have my bike for fun) but I have to admit, it does what it does pretty well.

The flappy paddles are completely gimmicky but just leaving it in drive works well.

That said, in a sports car instead of an econo sedan? I don't think so. Not unless it's worked over really well.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Michael Scott posted:

Quite a few modern sports cars have flappy paddles (either on the wheel or built into the shifter), with an automated manual of some type, not necessarily a CVT. Apparently it helps to game the EPA numbers which avoids a significant gas guzzler tax and is attractive if you use it as a daily driver.
Sorry I wasn't clear. I was referring more to using the CVT in a sports car. I am sure it will be a far cry from the appliance transmission though.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Cage posted:

Wait, how does this accelerate the car enough to shift into 2nd, let alone the rest of the gears? My car only coasts 3-5mph in 1st gear.

Unless you have an incredibly underpowered car or something is wrong with it you should be able to start out in 2nd without much difficulty, let alone go into it with ease when moving, even if only a few MPH.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Didn't see this posted here yet, but Tom from Tom and Ray the Car talk guys passed away the other day.

http://www.cartalk.com/blogs/staff-blog/tom-magliozzi-1937-2014

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

dissss posted:

Their vehicles are too old to be competitive (or in the case of the Mirage just too lovely) but they seem to have found a niche with the electric Outlander where it is sold (which is at least unique on the market)

The Outlander Sport/RVR are all over the place up here. I am totally puzzled why. My mother bought one and loves it, but holy christ is it gutless. I mean, it's OK I guess but totally mediocre at everything from what I have seen.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

eyebeem posted:

We just bought a Ford Flex to satisfy my desire for a wagon and the woman's desire for an suv.
Ugh. I had one as a rental a couple years back and it was like the worst of everything rolled into 1 vehicle and was uncomfortable to top it off.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

As long as you are happy with it man, that's the important part.

And I also agree with minivan love. I don't even have kids but I think minivans are incredibly practical vehicles and would drive one without embarrassment.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Throatwarbler posted:

I'm in a mood to talk about them, the Journey was pretty comprehensively updated for 2013, so if the one you drove was a newer one they are perfectly adequate vehicles for their intended purpose.
A salesman I went to lunch with last month had a brand new Journey for a company car and it was a tremendous piece of poo poo based on the 30 minutes I was inside it. To be fair I guess it had power and brakes (nothing stick out in my mind negative that regard) but god the build materials and noise inside was worse than my in-laws 98 Accord, which has driven to Belize and back 4 times.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

When the Mrs and I went to DC a couple of years ago, we wanted to go to Udvar-Hazy and just decided to rent a car because getting to Dulles via transit was awful. The only thing at the rental agency that wasn't a leaf electric car was a brand new Sienna so that's what we got. It was boring to drive sure but it was very comfortable and I'd have no problem with one as a daily driver.

I kind of like the look of the Mazda 5 but don't know if they are any good.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Powershift posted:

Yeah, going to be shared with the BMW Z5. I heard there were a lot of people who wanted BMW reliability but wanted a toyota badge on their car.

:lol:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Only registered members can see post attachments!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I'm not familiar with those at all. Are they competing with the likes of the Genesis?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Powershift posted:

I get like 80% thumbs up and 20% scowls for driving my car year round.

You can probably guess how old the scowls are. Usually in vehicles that lose more a month in depreciation than my car cost.
Whenever I am going through Red Deer (it's never a destination) I always try to keep an eye open for your Lincoln. One of these days I hope to be successful :3:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Powershift posted:

They'll do a mid cycle refresh in 2028

Lol
And a maybe different shade of silver and white

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

cursedshitbox posted:

lol tacomas get the same fuel economy as a f350.

Toyotas reputation of old sells their trucks. See: Hilux. They also know how to market to their demographic. For actual work they're kind of mediocre in payload/power/towing/etc.
However as a lifestyle vehicle for Hauling mountain bikes, overlanding, camping, or casual homeowner projects? They're excellent trucks.
Towing? get a F-series. Buy GM for the ride quality. Buy Dodge because its cheap.
I had company issued Tacomas (3 of them) from ~2009 to 2019. I was given a 2019 Silverado LD (old body style on the change-over year) and the Silverado is miles and above more comfortable and gets noticeably better fuel economy out of the 5.3 than the Toyota 4.0.

To be fair, my last Taco was the "old" style and it was very reliable, but holy poo poo was the fuel economy bad and the wind noise was something else.

Given the choice for me personally it wouldn't even be a competition between the two. I like the idea of the slightly physically smaller truck but that's about it.

Buying new and keeping in mind resale - that would be another thing altogether.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jun 19, 2021

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

At least he quit smoking.

TBF, Hammond looks a lot better but you can tell he actively cares about his aesthetics and general looks.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

DoesNotCompute posted:

My local dealer has had a white base model automatic on their lot for 6 months at $51k CAD (so $38k USD?) It's weird to see a car look good in white.
Reminds me, my local dealer (also :canada:) has one in grey sitting on the lot. Been meaning to look at it just for curiosity.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Powershift posted:

before delivery, destination, and dealer fees. It's $18,110 plus probably $600 dealer fees.

Their website has even gone full scumbag dealer. You cannot deselect the $155 cargo cover and $165 "welcome package" which is floor mats and a paint pen.

The Canadian site doesn't force you to pay $165 for floor mats but it does include a $599 "Dealer Admin Fee" bringing the pre-tax price to $19,475 CAD

Even then it's the cheapest vehicle in Canada. 5 years ago you could get a Spark or Mirage for $10k + fees.

The second cheapest vehicle in Canada is the Hyundai Venue at $23,574.

The cost of driving a new car here you could reasonably say doubled in 5 years between the cost of the car + insurance, while wages were stagnant to declining.
Yep. It's pretty much universal too from what I understand, my local dealer is totally shady as gently caress.

They force maintenance "packages" worth thousands and simply won't sell you a car if you refuse to buy it.

gently caress you with a dildo made out of a splintered piece of wood wrapped in barbed wire.

That poo poo needs to be illegal.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I would be very happy with a Hilux Champ
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Hilux_Champ

https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a46190480/toyota-13000-pickup-hilux-champ/

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Didn't watch the whole vid, but looked like transfer case poo poo the bed?

Not a great sign - did not look rough on it at all.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Man, I don't even like sunroofs, even if they have a proper shade.

A nicely spec'd car with a solid roof seems to be a tough thing to do now for any of the cars we've even been mildly interested in.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Well, i guess the color is kinda nice.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

BMW still looks worse than that monstrosity imho

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Powershift posted:

And over 5000lbs.

Just get a Country squire and save $130,000

I would legit be way more interested in a thread about a Country Squire thread than pretty much anything about a new BMW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I like the frontier. If I were in the market for a truck I'd definitely look at it. A friend of mine actually is and I told him to check them out and he likes it too. No luck with incentives in :canada: though, other than an slightly lower APR if you finance.