Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Charles posted:

For my next daily driver I really want a car that does well in the small overlap crash tests, which eliminates a lot of even newer cars. :( That said my 2nd is still a 26 year old Mercedes.

Pretty much what happened to me and the car did a great job, saved my rear end. 2012 Scion xB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

LeeMajors posted:

I think the lowest I can stomach is like 18-20 mixed, which is what I was getting with the 1GR.

I'm gonna end up in a loving RAV4 with a roof rack for my bike. I can feel it. Bummer.

I got another xB, cuz it saved my rear end and has the utility of an SUV without being one. I have a roof rack and I can easily reach my paddleboard and bike because it's not lifted for no reason. I can fit a ton of poo poo in it, and it gets 21 city, would probably do better mixed.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Wheeee posted:

Can't wait for it to be simultaneously more expensive and also worse than a Jeep.

It will be at the beginning probably. But once it's been around for a few years with the bugs worked out and the price comes down.....Probably gonna be more desirable than a Fiat Jeep :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

If Toyota puts a real LSD in the TuRD Camry I'd be seriously tempted

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

The Oldest Man posted:

They'd need a factory warranty'd transmission tune as well but yeah that would be pretty compelling.

Depending on how they sell it's possible I guess, especially if all the TuRD reviewers and owners say it needs one. Savagegeese reviewed it and said that's all it needs to be a really good car.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Kraftwerk posted:

Does it matter when you can get an accord 2.0T in 10spd or manual?

Same reviewer (SG) said it's too soft :shrug:

Idk, if I were going to buy a TuRD Camry I'd probably drive an Accord as well and pick between the two.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Godzilla07 posted:

The VAG MEB EVs may actually sit in the intersection of affordability, range, and something that you'd buy if it were powered by gas. Nothing in the current market hits all three points.

Agreed. It looks really good, I'll be interested to see the price.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

That looks cheap as poo poo

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Virgil Vox posted:

Bring back the digital readout speedos

My car has one and I love it

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

LeeMajors posted:

I have never owned a Jeep but the culture around them is an insane turnoff. Which is a shame because an old beater jeep seems like a lot of fun even if it’s Chrysler trash (and I can’t afford to restore an old FJ).

But the gladiator just looks like rear end—staples a truck bed onto a wrangler and called it good.

I have an old beater Jeep and I don't have anything to do with the "culture" no one is forcing you to be a part of it

Also they are generally pretty reliable and easy to work on, not the trash of a typical Chrysler product

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Too late to get one any time soon :v:

https://www.yahoo.com/autos/2021-ford-bronco-first-edition-123100223.html

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

A Loud Fart posted:

Splashing through mud puddles with the doors and top off, wearing nothing but flip flops and board shorts,

That's literally me driving in my wrangler :v:

It only cost me 4k tho :ssh:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Wow never thought Honda of all makers would do that.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Nut Bunnies posted:

The Civic hatch might not be a true looker, but it's fantastic in every other regard. I've had one for a year and I really don't have any huge complaints.

No oil contamination yet? That's what scared me off of them.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Nut Bunnies posted:

Nothing yet. I had the sedan from 2016-19 and I also didn’t have any issues while also driving it much more.

It's the new turbo motor in the hatchbacks that has the issue.

Might wanna read up on it and keep an eye out.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Nut Bunnies posted:

The issue was also in the sedans as I'm pretty sure the 1.5T engine is the same across all Civics. I got a letter from Honda about it last year after I had already gotten the new one.

The base and sport Civic sedans have the 2.0 K series motor. The Si sedans and hatchbacks got the 1.5.

The problem is bad enough with the 1.5 that it steered me away from the hatch. Between the Civic, Accord and CRVs with that motor there were a lot of pissed off people on the internet over it.

I almost bought a Sport sedan with the K series but ultimately decided against buying new.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The oil contamination is a pretty extreme edge case for severe duty in cold climates. I think it's fairly overblown.

There were enough reports and people getting pissed about it that it made me reconsider, I ended up buying used so it didn't really matter for me anyway.

Might be it's overblown, but if I'm going to buy a new car I don't want to hear about ANY possible issues from the drivetrain. Could be because I worked for a Mazda Dealer and saw too many royally pissed off people with new cars needing new engines (RX8)

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Well when there's a class action lawsuit going on I'm just gonna bow out :shrug:

The automatic RX8's were the offending motors, at one point I ordered over ten motors in one month. RADL got mad when I said they were crap :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

As Nero Danced posted:

I'm guessing its because automatics shift early to keep rpms low, and radial engines need to be spun up to high rpm frequently?

Pretty much. It just made them poo poo sooner than the manual cars, those started making GBS threads too after awhile.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

*raises hand*

I remember you saying that around 2006-2007 and I was in complete denial about that. Just couldn't believe that Mazda would let that happen again. Figured the owners were abusing it, or just the automatic crowd not taking care of it.

I sold my RX-8 to a friend when it had 60k miles. I think it was 12 or 20k miles later the engine popped (1-2 years after i sold it to him). Felt bad about that.

I still love rotaries and still really like the RX-8. But its best days are long gone. Someday in the future I'd like to put a 20B FD together but it will be a long time before i have 5 garage spaces (because an FD would 100% be a 4th car for me).

You used to have a giff avatar of the RX8 hugging you with the doors right? Geez feels like forever ago I can't believe you remembered that :v:

Honestly I felt bad about bringing it up because everyone loved the RX8 at that time, like I was making GBS threads on the rotary parade haha.

[e] I remember one of the seasoned techs telling me how Mazda hosed with the rotary too much for emissions and that the Renesis was garbage. I felt bad for those guys we constantly had RX8s in the garage needing engines the entire time i was there.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jul 21, 2020

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Idiots

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Savagegeese review of the C8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3IVYXl7uGM

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Is that off of TC or off of old fashioned measured fuel economy? I don't fully trust TC numbers.

My Toyota (Scion) TC numbers are spot on every time, I do the math about every other fill up.

[e] so yeah if those numbers are accurate that's really good. It's probably gutless as a result tho.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jul 27, 2020

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

EnergizerFellow posted:

Yeah, the new Wrangler is an exception to the FCA cabin space rule and they hosed up pretty bad. It's like the Camaro vs Mustang situation where on paper the Camaro is a better car and lays down better track times across most trims vs the Mustang, yet the Mustang is just so much more usable as, you know, a car and the sales figures reflect this. I'll bet money on the same thing happening on Bronco vs Wrangler if the usability/space is there.

It will be interesting to see if the bronco can be a decent daily, if so it will outsell the wrangler big time. I imagine it will ride a lot better with IFS.

Wranglers are horrible for daily drivers I don't see how people can do it if they've ever driven an actual car before. I own a wrangler but also have a car, and if i had to chose one or the other I'd take the car every drat time.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Eh, I'm 6' and don't have any issues. But even tho I fit comfortably in a FiST fine, it just felt too drat small and cramped inside for me, the Lexus LS has spoiled me I guess :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah I love being able to put my bike in my car and not having to worry about someone stealing it off the rack.

My Wrangler has a Yakima spare tire rack with a cable lock which is nice, but in the car it's way more secure.

Bike theft is a loving epidemic around here.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

If someone wants to steal pretty much any of your possessions, and they're motivated enough, they're gonna find a way to do it.

Out of sight out of mind tho. My bike in my car with tinted windows is difficult to see and is much less tempting that a bike hanging on a rack in plain view.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Goober Peas posted:

Someone has clearly never commuted in the SF bay area. Trust me, after 30 minutes of stop-and-go you notice every gear change. And your left leg looks like your dominant wanking arm over time.

Same in the Tampa Bay area. I thought I really wanted a manual daily until I looked deeper into my soul and realized it's just a fleeting feeling and do i really want to drive every day urban sprawl, light to light straight flat roads in heavy traffic with a manual transmission....Not really.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I had a manual Mustang GT ('88) back in the day, and took it to Daytona for the 500. The traffic trying to leave was brutal and my left leg fell asleep after the first two hours and it didn't stop for another two hours going all the way through Orlando. Never took a manual car to any events after that :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

It depends on the car sometimes, in that situation in a Miata I probably would have been fine but the mustang had a pretty stiff clutch. And for the record I was wishing it was an automatic :v:

But it really depends more on where you live. If I were in an area with more open roads it wouldn't be an issue at all, but those roads don't exist here.

[edit] also I will say it helps to have a car with a good automatic, I'd rather have a manual than a lovely automatic that cant decide what gear to be in.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jul 30, 2020

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I get worse gas mileage because I always put my foot in it from the light, I just want to get ahead of the idiots so it's worth it.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

But your gang tag says I want nothing :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Never thought I'd see anything like the F1 again, that is amazing. The F1 has always been my favorite exotic car and it looks like this one will top it, cant wait to see the driving videos.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Well now that this has been announced, countdown to Ferrari F40 2.0 because they can't be out done right?

Oh please god that would be awesome

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

wallaka posted:

Carmax is heaven. I’ll pay $1000 more than the absolute best deal if I can walk in and out in 45 minutes with no bullshit. I reserved the vehicle and set up an appointment online. When I got to the facility, the paperwork was already lined up. Did a test drive and inspection, signed papers and left. Seriously it was less than an hour including a 20 minute test drive. I will never buy from a traditional dealership again.

The second and third from last dealership experience we had were both at Mercedes dealers (for a used Lexus and then a Scion) and it went just like that, flawless and quick was there maybe an hour.

The last was at a Hyundai dealer (for another Scion) and it was horrible, never again.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Just call the car Poverty Spec, gently caress it

Povspek :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Wheeee posted:

It doesn't need a turbo, it just needs a good engine.

Why couldn't Toyota team up with Honda for the 86 whyyyy

An NA K series variant would be perfect and I don't care about boxer engine lower center of gravity gently caress it

Or comedy option team up with GM for the LS :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Tbh I'd probably own one right now if it just had the Toyota 2.4 in it or something that's not a Subaru boxer engine

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Colostomy Bag posted:

What cracks me up was how Rolls Royce complied.

http://modernclassics.se/rolls-royce-ornament-retract/

The mechanism is insane.

That's not for safety, it's to prevent theft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

KakerMix posted:

Before I painted the block "TOYOTA" letters white in the grill on our 70 series Land Cruiser I would get the Jeep Wave™ a lot. After the letters were painted white against the black grill my Jeep Wave™ receiving dropped to zero :(
I don't know what this means, really, but 'lifestyles' and the marketing surrounding them turn me so off, so fast, so quick. Harley, Jeep, now even Ford with the new Bronco trying to build an identity around their product just skeeves me out. I understand why but I want less than nothing to do with it.

Lol at not even knowing what a Jeep is and what isn't when you loving drive one. Shows how clueless most people are.

Since I got my Jeep I haven't noticed waving but I haven't been paying much attention I guess :shrug: