Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Rhyno posted:

I just want a turbo AWD sedan with a 6 speed that isn't a Subaru, is that so much to ask?

Your local Audi dealer would love to sell you an A4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I love driving on a good twisty road, but when I'm just taking the interstate from point A to point B, I would love to be able to turn on the autopilot and do something else. I don't care what car I'm in, I-80 does not deliver driving enjoyment, so why try?

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I keep waiting for someone to build something Volt-like but with a turbine or Stirling engine. Those designs theoretically offer more efficiency than the conventional IC engine but have always been impractical because of other limitations - no power at low RPMs for the turbine, and slow or inefficient startup for the Stirling. Neither would be a problem if the engine was only needed to top off the battery. It's just a question of packaging them for automotive use.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

That's great if true and if they can get the price down. For me somewhere between 350 and 400hp and under $40k would be a much more interesting car. It might even replace the Cayman as my "when my kid finishes college, I will celebrate by buying one" car.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Maybe the market will wise up and realize the folly of the horsepower wars.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Your life may be better than mine but I can't see how I'd get more enjoyment out of a 450hp Corvette than a 350hp version. My S4 is quick enough that the real speed limit is my own courage and I'm not upgrading that.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

TheFonz posted:

When cars can make 400hp and get 30 mpg and have a 0-60 of 5ish seconds and 19 bajillion airbags and fart unicorn toots I'm not going to call that a case of "my life may be better" I'm going to call that a case of my life is way more loving awesome than yours if you think manufacturers should lower the hp they are making.

Edit: Horsepower wars are the best ever.

All other things being equal, I accept that more horsepower == better. All other things are rarely equal, though. I'd rather have a hypothetical 350hp Corvette than a 400hp Mustang at the same price point. If the focus on horsepower uber alles is keeping manufacturers from addressing other things that make cars fun to drive, then the horsepower wars suck.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

TheFonz posted:

W-hat?

That's not at all what is happening though? The cars with higher horsepower are handling better than they have ever before.

My original remark about the horsepower wars was in this context:

Weinertron posted:

I really hope this gets made because a 350hp $40k C7 would be awesome, but how on Earth will it sell to the carbuying masses when the V8 Mustang and Camaro are both ~420hp?

Poorvette could be more fun to drive than a Mustang GT, and if they can't make it because the market won't see past the GT's 420hp, then to hell with horsepower wars. I intended my remark for that context and not as an indictment of horsepower in general.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Bob NewSCART posted:

You have an S4 and you don't beat the poo poo out of it?

It's my daily driver and I bought it new, so I've never gone beyond 9/10ths of its full capabilities, and I usually try to keep it at about 8/10ths. (Well, not deliberately. There was one time I almost missed a turn but decided to go for it, and I had the car wildly oversteering for a moment before the stability control brought it round. That got my heart beating.) My previous car, a 2006 WRX, was not quite fast enough for me to hit my limit of skill and courage. The S4 can definitely exceed that limit. I conclude that outside the track, a hp/lb ratio of about .08 will let the car do anything I'm gutsy enough to do. Therefore, beyond that level, I'd rather manufacturers focus on handling and then on either luxury or price than on piling up more power.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

But can it be had with a sports diff? If there's no manual (sad but typical) and no sports diff, I declare it unworthy.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I can't wait for the combination of HUD + gaze recognition to become mainstream. That will simplify the interface enough for us to devote 100% of our complaints to menu order and layout.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Cream_Filling posted:

Why would gaze recognition be a good thing? Just leave the displays on all the time.

HUDs won't happen anytime soon because it's way more expensive and tricky to have a HUD that functions well in all lighting conditions and doesn't alienate users versus an instrument panel that honestly hasn't changed much in 30 years and works perfectly fine.

Gaze recognition means your eyeball becomes the cursor control device. The way I imagine it, the HUD would have a standard display showing speed, rpm, gear, nav cues, etc. Press the menu steering wheel button and the bottom row of the HUD is replaced by icons for other car systems. Look at the one you want, press the select button on the steering wheel, keep navigating. It's fast and your eyes are never really off the road. Probably needs to be coupled with a secondary display and voice entry for browsing music libraries and entering nav destinations, but for anything that can be represented as a one line set of icons, it would be slick. I saw a mockup of something like this once and it really impressed me.

Zorak of Michigan fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jun 21, 2013

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Cream_Filling posted:

That sounds terrible because you're literally taking your eyes off the road while also holding down a button, which seems to me to be a "rub your tummy pat your head" situation. And in real life, your eyes flick around all the time and eye movements aren't under total conscious control, meaning you wouldn't be able to have reliable recognition of gaze without a fairly generous sample window. Controlling things via eye movements is in no way intuitive and would probably have a significant learning curve. Voice control would be far better than that if you were really that button-phobic.

How is this better than just buttons and levers on or around the steering wheel? Then instead of pressing a button and activating some super-complicated gaze detection thing on an expensive hud, you just press a button or press a big lever without looking away from the road at all. Anything that can be represented as a small line of icons can be represented as a line of buttons. And the gross motor skill involved is so simple, effortless, and universal that most people do things like signal for turns completely automatically.

If you display the icons to be gazed upon in the HUD, then your eyes stay very close to the road at all times. Your focus might be on the road right in front of the car but it's a lot better than looking down at the console near the shift lever trying to find the right button.

It's clearly inferior to buttons if you can keep the buttons down to a minimum, but when you start chasing buttons for every function, things get real crowded. It's easy for me to imagine how to get pause, skip ahead, and volume up/down into muscle memory, but hard to envision getting the less commonly used functions there.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I had the impression that hydrogen is a chicken and egg problem. If fuel cell cars were sure to be huge in five years, the industry could arrange for stations to be there for them, using either hydrogen transport or hydrogen from natural gas. If the fuel stations were sure to be there in five years, fuel cell cars might take off.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Snowdens Secret posted:

That's assuming that they really want top-end horse, which isn't the common complaint about the BRZ, and not a raising of the torque curve especially in the lower rev range, which the S2000 is decidedly unsuited for.

S2000:

The 2000's torque curve is worse until about 6200ish RPM. It may feel fatter without the BRZ's 4k hole, but it's illusory.

(Disclaimer dynos may vary ambient conditions not listed blah blah)

Yeah, I dunno if it's the torque hole or what, but the BRZ just doesn't perform like its power/weight ratio says it should. Looking at old Car & Driver test sheets, a 2008 WRX had 14.3 pounds per horsepower and a 5-60 street start of 7.5 seconds. Their BRZ takes 8 seconds despite having only 13.8 pounds per horsepower. I owned a WRX for a while and I know it had enough speed for me, so what I want is a BRZ that performs at the same level. I'm not sure that will stop me when used prices drop to levels I can contemplate, but in the abstract, I'd rather have a power curve that would get me at least WRX acceleration curves.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

One would hope that the Z06 owners would tolerate a little jerkiness about town for all the performance advantages, but one might be underestimating the folly of the Corvette owner base.

I once saw C6 Z06 parked on the street in Ann Arbor and thought, "Nice race car, poseur. Bet it rides really nice on the way to Espresso Royale." Then I walked past and saw the roll cage and fire extinguisher. Prejudice is an ugly thing.

Comedy option for the new Z06: CVT with gear ratio setpoints, which you can select via stick or paddle!

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I want the option of driving a deathtrap with a nice, low, 90s-looking beltline.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

94 Integra hatch
06 WRX wagon
12 S4 sedan

Working my way to Nirvana, one car at a time.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

At this point I imagine they were sized exactly to fit a typical drive-through window order, and no larger.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

IIRC the big driver for the new engine was packaging, though the use of direct injection probably also played a role.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Laserface posted:

Space is not an issue. There is a few EJ conversions kicking around, not to mention LSx and even 1/2JZ swaps that fit.

This car would have been a better platform with an inline 4.

One of their big boasts when the car was new was that the center of gravity was lower than a Cayman's. Can't get that with an inline. Also they wanted to get it entirely behind the axle.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Even given the car's light weight, I did not expect those acceleration figures that C/D got. I have a desire to treat myself to an impractical car when my kid finishes college and this Miata just moved to the top of the list.

Edit: I know the Toyabarus are 2+2s and therefore allegedly don't compete with the Miata, but I'm hoping the quickness of the 2016 Miata will force them to try to make the Toyabarus quicker in order to stay in the same league.

Zorak of Michigan fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jun 1, 2015

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Throatwarbler posted:

Fine, but I would still like the column shifter though. The dodge/ford/Chevy cars already come with them in the cop versions, so there should be minimal new investment. Well I don't really care about the Chevy because you can get it with a stick, but the slushbox only ones should. What's the point of the rotary dial shifter anyway, what problem is it supposed to solve?

I think it was a Jalopnik article a few months back that suggested that the console pushbotton is the way to go. I found it persuasive. Maybe younger folks will see the column shifter without prejudice, but for older folks like me, it will forever be associated with cars devoid of all driving enjoyment.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Which is why OEMs need to rely less on focus groups.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I know Porsche just demoed one that used GPS to maximize mileage over hills and also to predict the radius of upcoming curves and automatically take them at 0.7G or less, but I didn't think it was shipping yet.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Is there a better solution for borrowing audiobooks than CD? Last I checked, doing it electronically was always a pain in the rear end, one way or another.

Edit: My point is that there's a good reason for keeping CD as an option in new cars. I don't mean to turn this into audiobook chat.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Uncle Jam posted:

You can drive a Lexus throught dat grill tho.

Why can't they just make a small sports car though?! I'd buy the poo poo out of that!

*actually doesn't buy it*

*bitches about the car on internet forums*

The winner will be the company that figures out how to skip the first buyer and sell factory-direct used sports cars direct to internet nerds.

Zorak of Michigan fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Aug 13, 2015

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

I'm sorry, what?

I look at the slight upward curve on that grill and all I can see is Butthead's upper lip.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I never used to give a drat about Mustangs but there is something about that new 350 that I cannot get over. The latest styling tweaks took the 'stang from "nice retro homage" to "that is a dang nice looking car" and when you compound that with the monster V8 and flat crank, I become ensorcelled.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

The articles about electric turbocharging read like it will fix all our problems. They never seem to mention a street date, though.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Summer tires aren't slicks. I have them on my S4 and I've never hesitated to drive in any weather as long as the temperature was up. I did get caught out by a freak early snowstorm a couple years ago, and dedicated that summer tires would get me to the grocery store OK. They got me to the grocery store unharmed, but I swear that fifteen minute drive (which is about seven minutes in clear weather) got my heart pounding more than fifteen minutes of vigorous exercise would have. Never again. I'd rather change wheels and eat dinner at 10pm than try to use summer tires on a snowy road.

Edit: I learned driving on all weather tires. They're the default for most cars. They're much inferior to dedicated winter tires on snow and ice. I'd never go back to all weather tires, myself. I can find ways to fudge around bad traction when I'm accelerating or cornering, but you never know how much braking force you might need until the moment arrives.

Zorak of Michigan fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Nov 24, 2015

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Throatwarbler posted:

The Chrysler-Mazda merger is still possible, and just getting Mazda to make all of Chrysler's small and midsize sedans would be a good fit.

Miata Hellcat would be the best worst car ever made.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Most people want a car today which is why dealerships take up entire zipcodes and the supply chain is built to churn out all the white/silver/black mid-optioned models the world can bear

Intellectually I know this but I cannot wrap my head around it. OK, maybe if your car just got totaled in a wreck and it's buy now or pay rental prices for weeks, but otherwise, what's the rush? As long as I have a driveable car to fall back on, I'd rather wait to get exactly what I want than pick something off the lot and spend years wishing I'd been able to get that one neat color or option. I have bought three new cars in my life and each time, I took several weeks after the test drive to think long and hard about what I wanted, then ordered the car, then waited weeks or months for it to arrive.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Throatwarbler posted:

New Audis also aren't "permanent" AWD if your standard for permanent AWD is a manual Subaru.

Depends on the Audi. They've got so many different mechanical layouts under the Quattro name now that you need a half-time intern just to keep them straight.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Mechanically, that Lexus sounds fantastic. If you described it without ever showing me a picture, I'd be imagining how my life would have to change for me to be able to afford one. Then I see it and the front end is a dealbreaker. Their designers are like the writers from a bad season of SNL - they keep trotting out the same crap over and over again, on the theory that eventually someone will like it.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Am I the only one who thinks the Audi A5 line looks weird? The way curves around the front wheel arches transition into nothing but straight lines at the door and then get curvy again in the back makes me think it was designed by a committee.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

MrYenko posted:

It's quite possible that they'll offer the mid engine flavor in addition to the front-engine Corvettes, and not instead of. I think the success of the C6 ZR1 perked up some bean-counters and convinced some internally influential people that there is a market for a Chevrolet Corvette with a six-figure window sticker.

I've wondered for a while now if that's why they brought back the Stingray branding. They continue to sell the front-engine model as a Corvette Stingray, and the mid-engined model as a Corvette Zora (or whatever).

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

My Audi has a real key buried inside the fob that can open the doors. There's also a weird flat plastic emergency key thing that you can keep in your wallet, which fits into a plastic carrier to make a fob that will start the engine if your normal fob's battery dies. It's hilariously baroque and I'm not surprised they didn't stick with it in later models.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Cocoa Crispies posted:

That wouldn't surprise me, with the way "Stingray," "Grand Sport," and "Z06" are all listed separately on their website.

I expect that it will become some new high-end Corvette Zora with a starting price above $100k.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

It looks like Tesla really needs more cash to get Model 3 production even close to reasonable levels

That was exactly my thought when I heard the announcement. The X and the 3 seemed like they were aimed at growing Tesla's market, but the Roadster seems like a pure play for profit. It's a shame because if they'd gone the other way and introduced a sporty $30-50k Tesla with a 200 mile range, I would have been trying to figure out how to fit it into my mid-term budget.