Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Mikan posted:

When did Paizo ever attempt to make the 3.5 system easier

This is a good point, and I should have said that I both expect that Piazo will eventually release an "Advanced Pathfinder" edition and pray that it would have gone in a more 4E easier-to-play route. I remember reading on ENWorld that they're already doing a Warlord-clone. And even with that said, there is a good chance that iPhone-esque smartphones could be ubiquitous by the time that comes around (or even 5E, when you think about it).

But currently, iPhones are not things you hand to teenagers (even the dorky types that play DnD on the weekend), and so seeing one of the "#2" game companies fully committing to serving the 30+ age bracket it depresses me about the state of the hobby. And you don't need to be a loving trust-fund doctor to afford a Model Train set either- but you definitely don't start that hobby before you're 25-30. Its not about the cost but the age.

So the thesis of the whole "gently caress them and their model trains too" statement is that I really, really, really don't want to have to start a DnD group in ten years and be surrounded by the same 35-year-old fucks that I didn't want to start a game with when they were 25.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

A lot of teenagers have iPhones though, or at least the iPod Touch.
And I'm repeating myself here but these apps are optional they're not going to replace books and paper and dice they're just another tool for people to use

That said, Pathfinder isn't marketed for new gamers anyway. It's a reprint of an older D&D system with some houserules specifically marketed and created for people who don't want to switch to the newest version for whatever reason. If new people are getting into this hobby, they're going to go with 4e (and eventually 5e or 6e).
Well, or World of Darkness.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
how in the hell is developing an iPhone app "fully committing" to anything. it's an iPhone app, a neat little gadget for people who have iPhones. it's not like they're writing a massive hardcover rulebook which communicates solely through decade-old pop culture references

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

^^^ Are you really going to pick at semantics and rhetoric here? They're all but admitting that their game doesn't run well unless you have a smartphone to do the piles of math and are releasing a crutch to mitigate that. Selfishly, I'd rather they work on a start-up game that is as easy to understand and play as one of those basic boxes back in the 70s. Okay, that's a lie, I'd rather they spend the time making a system that worked, but c'est la vie.

Mikan posted:

That said, Pathfinder isn't marketed for new gamers anyway. It's a reprint of an older D&D system with some houserules specifically marketed and created for people who don't want to switch to the newest version for whatever reason. If new people are getting into this hobby, they're going to go with 4e (and eventually 5e or 6e).
Well, or World of Darkness.

So then I'm angry that grognards exist and have a company pandering to them, and that they (the Grognard demographic) will never, ever try to grow the hobby by making a good game like Green Ronin or Crafty Games.

My God. It is me. I am the Grognard.

I'll go post myself in .txt right now.

Oh wait.

I already did.

Gerund fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Feb 26, 2010

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

(This may come as a surprise to everyone, but) I'm not exactly the biggest fan of Pathfinder.
But there's obviously a market for a game like this, so I'm glad somebody is working to make them happy.
Other companies make games for different demographics, whether aiming specifically for older established gamers or trying to get new people in the hobby. That's cool too.

The only thing I see weird about this is that iPod apps are actually more of a tool to market the system to new gamers, they're the ones most interested in using technology as part of the game.

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

quote:

Are you really going to pick at semantics and rhetoric here? They're all but admitting that their game doesn't run well unless you have a smartphone to do the piles of math and are releasing a crutch to mitigate that.

No they aren't how are you even coming to these asinine conclusions

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

If there's one thing you should get from that video, it's that the Paizo guys aren't all that concerned about "rules quality." I know Buhlman posted that horrible thread on rpg.net when they released the fighter iconic stuff, but there was otherwise VERY little of that type of thing going on during the playtest and after the release. The fanbois might froth about it, but I really don't think the Paizo staff themselves are particularly rabid about the ruleset. PFRPG was a first and foremost a business decision on Paizo's part. They didn't like the GSL, and they saw that there was a market segment that Wizards was going to move away from. It let them tap into that market with very little effort on their part--all they had to say is "it's compatible with the 3.5/OGL stuff" and that pretty much sold the game to people that weren't interested in moving to 4e. They're doing just fine from a business standpoint, and I don't think you'll see much movement on their part to some kind of "advanced PF" game unless that business declines noticeably.

Arguably, Paizo's key products are system agnostic: the Adventure Paths and Golarion material. The fact that a significant market will fork over for a rulebook is just icing on the balance sheet cake.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah; if you get angry at the Paizo guys for anything it should be that they've made a mint taking the OGL material from D&D and shifting a few numbers around to make a show about it being "fixed" and then boxing it up and selling it.

The only thing I'm pissed about is that they beat me to the punch.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Gerund posted:

^^^ Are you really going to pick at semantics and rhetoric here? They're all but admitting that their game doesn't run well unless you have a smartphone to do the piles of math and are releasing a crutch to mitigate that.

uh no they're releasing a handy little tool to speed things up and make things more convenient for those who are so inclined. you know kind of like the character builder or the monster builder or the dm's screen or whatever. also semantics and rhetoric, what, if you make an argument expect to have it addressed

Gerund posted:

Selfishly, I'd rather they work on a start-up game that is as easy to understand and play as one of those basic boxes back in the 70s. Okay, that's a lie, I'd rather they spend the time making a system that worked, but c'est la vie.

so basically you're angry about them producing things to support a game they already have instead of writing an entirely new game that appeals better to you" just go play another game system or something jesus god there are plenty of systems that are way easy to pick up

Gerund posted:

So then I'm angry that grognards exist and have a company pandering to them, and that they (the Grognard demographic) will never, ever try to grow the hobby by making a good game like Green Ronin or Crafty Games.

My God. It is me. I am the Grognard.

I'll go post myself in .txt right now.

Oh wait.

I already did.

the hobby is hella grown already man, there are tons of floundering systems out there written by people who were upset that "the grognard demographic was not growing the hobby" or some other incomprehensible motive. if you want the hobby to grow then go buy some other systems instead of bitching about a company's entirely sensible decisions in an internet thread

vvv maybe we should have a pathfinder thread with "NO PAIZO DISCUSSION JERKS" in the op and a paizo thread with "NO PATHFINDER DISCUSSION JERKS" in the op. then everyone would know exactly what they were arguing about and stay on topic. this is a seriouspost by the way vvv

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Feb 26, 2010

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Is it possible to have a pathfinder thread that doesn't devolve into horrible bickering?

I want to hear about Golarion or level 20 fighters and their generous fear save bonuses.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Mikan posted:

The only thing I see weird about this is that iPod apps are actually more of a tool to market the system to new gamers, they're the ones most interested in using technology as part of the game.

"new", sure, but not young. And I understand your sentiment of sort of wishing that there was 1st party support (I imagine something already exists otherwise) for something like that at my 4E game, but I've never really seen the need unless you have one of those beardy types that swaps characters every week and doesn't know how all his powers work.

I think we'd have to see an RPG with virtual table-top compatibility like THIS before we really tap into that "new gamer" market.

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

Do you honestly think young people don't have iPhones or an iPod Touch

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Is it possible to have a pathfinder thread that doesn't devolve into horrible bickering?

I want to hear about Golarion or level 20 fighters and their generous fear save bonuses.

I think there's a thread for "jesus christ 3.5/PFRPG suck rear end", actually.

I'm perfectly happy to talk about the Adventure Paths or Golarion or whatever, because they're awesome and it's sad they get buried under the 'spergin.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Mikam, 75% of iPhone users are over 25, so are we debating what young means? And I'm pretty sure that the 16-year-old iPhone demographic has more competing for their attention such as Snowboarding.

Angry Diplomat posted:

if you want the hobby to grow then go buy some other systems instead of bitching about a company's entirely sensible decisions in an internet thread.

But that's my point- it isn't really sensible. DDI tools and such are great because they are ways to make the away-from-table dithering. A company spending resources developing an app for an iphone to solve something that shouldn't even exist is depressing at best. Collectively, I'd rather the RPG hobby companies continue to try as a whole to grow the market than work on projects that aren't related to anything but serving the 25+ clannish mentality.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Gerund posted:

Mikam, 75% of iPhone users are over 25, so are we debating what young means? And I'm pretty sure that the 16-year-old iPhone demographic has more competing for their attention such as Snowboarding.

This is actually relatively meaningless, because the 25% of iPhone owners under 25 are like 12-24 rather than 0-24, and 25+ is a far broader age range than 12-24?

why am I even talking about this here

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Gerund posted:

But that's my point- it isn't really sensible. DDI tools and such are great because they are ways to make the away-from-table dithering. A company spending resources developing an app for an iphone to solve something that shouldn't even exist is depressing at best. Collectively, I'd rather the RPG hobby companies continue to try as a whole to grow the market than work on projects that aren't related to anything but serving the 25+ clannish mentality.

what do you mean "shouldn't even exist." the system exists in its present state precisely because there is a strong core of players who prefer the system to work in exactly that way. this is a game marketed specifically to a particular subgroup of gamers, and some of those gamers will enjoy this app and will use it. this means that it is entirely reasonable and in fact highly recommended for paizo to create it, because they can parlay it into corporate gain

also please define "growing the market" and explain to me how a company is to do this productively by abandoning its flagship line and refusing to pursue little side projects related to it, thanks

mixitwithblop
Feb 4, 2009

by elpintogrande
My gut tells me that its a bad idea for a publisher to get in the software business, but then again, maybe the software will be really great... I'm rather curious as to what the two other products are...

Recently there has been some news of a mystery product from Lone Wolf:
http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=9398

Lone Wolf has been talking about adding the Bestiary and new player class data sets to Hero Lab... they also hinted at a bit more(above). And yet now it seems things are delayed until they have more 'talks' with Paizo.
http://forums.wolflair.com/showpost.php?p=36174&postcount=31

It just surprises me that some mystery product that has White Wolf blabbing about it on their front page doesn't seem to interest Paizo too much... I wonder if Paizo is giving third party devs the run around because they've got some of their own stuff up their sleeve. yeah.

My guesses: Monster app and combat app(along the same lines as the character sheet deal).

mixitwithblop fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Feb 26, 2010

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Nothing like dredging up a discussion off the second page bbuuuuuttttttttt

Angry Diplomat posted:

what do you mean "shouldn't even exist." the system exists in its present state precisely because there is a strong core of players who prefer the system to work in exactly that way. this is a game marketed specifically to a particular subgroup of gamers, and some of those gamers will enjoy this app and will use it. this means that it is entirely reasonable and in fact highly recommended for paizo to create it, because they can parlay it into corporate gain

also please define "growing the market" and explain to me how a company is to do this productively by abandoning its flagship line and refusing to pursue little side projects related to it, thanks

The Pathfinder system is a mess. I think if we're going to like hyperbole like Death to 3.5 then I think we're in agreement. That "strong core" of system-devotees (Does Piazo even translate? I think they're an english-only company) exists, as Tolan said, as supplemental to their core business of Adventure paths et al. Saying that even a major chunk of the Pathfinder customer base is playing it because they love the system is ludicrous to me. Say they don't want to convert to 4E or that they have all these books to use, sure, but the system itself is a Jenga tower of ill-suited rules.

Now, is this app going to drive a profit? I imagine, but ultimately it will be a pyrrhic thing- selling to the already easily-advertised app-crazy gadget loving wonks and not piercing into a wider "gamer" market. Part of this is because Pathfinder is a lovely system that needs a smart-phone to play reasonably* and that cost becomes an additional barrier to entry for the under-25 set (as you've heard me say before without trying to argue with it). Are groups really going to be any more inviting when it turns out that to join up you should get a smartphone and maybe your own 500 page handbook?

And so when I say "growing the market", I mean working on products that are not restrictive and short-sighted like an iPhone app: such as a starter-box as I said before. Still related, and far more useful to a larger public than "hey check this new feature for my iPhone."

*When DM'ing 3.5 I made Dispel magic an all-or-nothing spell because of how loving annoying the whole half-suite powers was to add up, which in turn made it at times very annoying or completely useless.

mixitwithblop
Feb 4, 2009

by elpintogrande

mixitwithblop posted:

Lone Wolf has been talking about adding the Bestiary and new player class data sets to Hero Lab... they also hinted at a bit more(above). And yet now it seems things are delayed until they have more 'talks' with Paizo.
http://forums.wolflair.com/showpost.php?p=36174&postcount=31

Guess I spoke too soon on some of that...
http://forums.wolflair.com/showpost.php?p=36325&postcount=2

"The playtest classes are mostly implemented at this point and will be made available in the next week or two."

"We're striving to have the Bestiary add-on released by Friday, March 19th."

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

Gerund posted:

:words:

Jesus Christ man, you talk like there aren't any other gaming companies out there besides WotC that are perfectly successful selling their product to a smaller market share than 4e.

AsexualAtheistAnime
Sep 11, 2001

by Peatpot
Hahaha nice posts yall got in here. Love to read em but theres fresh powder. Cheers. *snowboards out of thread*

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Gerund posted:

The Pathfinder system is a mess. I think if we're going to like hyperbole like Death to 3.5 then I think we're in agreement.

yes, I dislike the pathfinder system. also I'm not the death to 3.5 guy that's mikan.

Gerund posted:

Saying that even a major chunk of the Pathfinder customer base is playing it because they love the system is ludicrous to me. Say they don't want to convert to 4E or that they have all these books to use, sure, but the system itself is a Jenga tower of ill-suited rules.

there are tons of people still playing 3.5 because they love the system. there are tons of people playing pathfinder because they love the system. repeat for every other edition. a lot of grognards cried at wotc because they wanted 4e to be exactly like 3.5 but with minor updates, so paizo saw that and went, "oh hey we can capitalize on this" and made exactly that. people play it because it is exactly the game they want to play. why the hell would anyone play a game whose system they hate that makes no sense you make no sense

Gerund posted:

Now, is this app going to drive a profit? I imagine, but ultimately it will be a pyrrhic thing- selling to the already easily-advertised app-crazy gadget loving wonks and not piercing into a wider "gamer" market. Part of this is because Pathfinder is a lovely system that needs a smart-phone to play reasonably* and that cost becomes an additional barrier to entry for the under-25 set (as you've heard me say before without trying to argue with it). Are groups really going to be any more inviting when it turns out that to join up you should get a smartphone and maybe your own 500 page handbook?

"reasonably" is a subjective term. some groups love doing lots of math and rule-lawyering through tons of crunch. I have played with some of these and while I found it boring and terrible they seemed happy to spend thirty minutes debating the effect of a single spell. these are the people playing 3.x/pathfinder. also the "you should have your own phb" thing has been around forever and people have been ignoring it forever by just sharing around one copy or having one guy be the designated rule lawyer

Gerund posted:

And so when I say "growing the market", I mean working on products that are not restrictive and short-sighted like an iPhone app: such as a starter-box as I said before. Still related, and far more useful to a larger public than "hey check this new feature for my iPhone."

also likely to take up more resources in general and possibly have a much lower profit margin. companies exist to make money, this will make money, and it's not going to cause some kind of weird cultural shift where people inexplicably think that a smartphone is an essential component of an rpg session. seriously how can you possibly equate "a product I am not likely to use" with "a product which somehow restricts and damages the hobby" god drat it's not like they're putting crazy digital locks on the books that can only be opened using an iPhone

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
My group hasn't played in a while and I've been thinking about starting a pathfinder game. I like some of the things pathfinder has done, and we played 3.5 for years and liked it just fine, but I'm really not sure if I want to invest in the system. The idea of going straight back to vanilla 3.5 doesn't appeal to me very much either.

I think most of the problems at the gaming table actually had little to do with combat rules itself, though. I'd try 4th edition just for simplicity's sake, but I just hate hate hate what 4th edition did to caster's spellbooks. So I feel stuck with the old broken rear end d20 system whether it be 3.5 or PF.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Rescue Toaster posted:

My group hasn't played in a while and I've been thinking about starting a pathfinder game. I like some of the things pathfinder has done, and we played 3.5 for years and liked it just fine, but I'm really not sure if I want to invest in the system. The idea of going straight back to vanilla 3.5 doesn't appeal to me very much either.

I think most of the problems at the gaming table actually had little to do with combat rules itself, though. I'd try 4th edition just for simplicity's sake, but I just hate hate hate what 4th edition did to caster's spellbooks. So I feel stuck with the old broken rear end d20 system whether it be 3.5 or PF.

Well, the whole game is basically available for free if you're OK with not having printed books. The Pathfinder Reference Document is complete, unlike the d20 SRD (which lacked a few things like XP tables, as I recall). So you can certainly start with that. The PDF version is also only $10 if you want the art, too, and don't mind a digital format.

So you really can check it out without really forking over much cash if you're willing to play without a physical rulebook.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
Sorry I should have made it more clear that I meant like... invest the time & thought to converting an adventure and running it :/

I've been working on converting red hand of doom to PF so I'm probably going to at least give it a shot.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Gotcha.

Well, that said, there's not a heck of a lot of conversion you necessarily have to do. When I run the 3.5 Adventure Paths I usually just bump the hit points of the opponents (from typically average for the HD to 80-100% of max) and calculate the CMB/CMD (which is pretty easy to do). You may need to do some quick & dirty skill rank conversion, depending on whether the group is likely to do sneaky stuff, but I've found that just using the highest Hide/Move Silently bonus and translating Spot directly to Perception works well and can be done on the fly.

The conversion is just for you as the GM; why make it harder on yourself than it needs to be? Not like the players are going to care whether that monster was properly converted to being a 5th level PF fighter from a 5th level 3.5 fighter.

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

Tolan posted:

Gotcha.

Well, that said, there's not a heck of a lot of conversion you necessarily have to do. When I run the 3.5 Adventure Paths I usually just bump the hit points of the opponents (from typically average for the HD to 80-100% of max) and calculate the CMB/CMD (which is pretty easy to do). You may need to do some quick & dirty skill rank conversion, depending on whether the group is likely to do sneaky stuff, but I've found that just using the highest Hide/Move Silently bonus and translating Spot directly to Perception works well and can be done on the fly.

The conversion is just for you as the GM; why make it harder on yourself than it needs to be? Not like the players are going to care whether that monster was properly converted to being a 5th level PF fighter from a 5th level 3.5 fighter.

I believe the first time we played Pathfinder, the GM did virtually no conversion on the monsters. Of course, this was back in beta, but all we did really was make characters using the Pathfinder book, used their spells and skills and abilities and what not, and ran it basically against 3.5 material. It worked really well.

We might be playing Pathfinder (non-beta) again today or tomorrow. I can ask him what changes, if any, he's had to make to the encounters.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

I only buff HP because I've got 5-6 players, usually, so leaving monsters (particularly "boss" monsters) at average HP means they go do in a round or two.

Not a bad thing, necessarily, but I find we get more enjoyment from having the combat go for 6-7 rounds.

Oh, almost forgot--you'll want to check any spells the opponents might be using to make sure they haven't significantly changed from 3.5. There aren't a huge amount of them that did, but some (particularly polymorph effects) did get a fairly major overhaul.

mixitwithblop
Feb 4, 2009

by elpintogrande

Angry Diplomat posted:

there are tons of people still playing 3.5 because they love the system. there are tons of people playing pathfinder because they love the system. repeat for every other edition. a lot of grognards cried at wotc because they wanted 4e to be exactly like 3.5 but with minor updates, so paizo saw that and went, "oh hey we can capitalize on this" and made exactly that.

While that rationality is true to an extent, I'd like to note that an even greater influence on this decision was WoTC abandoning the Open Games License for the newer GSL. In fact, a rather large and vocal proponent of Paizo's system have been freelance writers who were previously publishing stuff for Goodman Games and similar third party supplement companies, as well as the in print versions of Dragon and Dungeon. And although Goodman Games has gone on to 4E, many of those same writers have stopped writing for them simply because they don't want to be limited to that restrictive license(as well as a seeming dislike to the system). A portion of those same authors have written a good amount of the material contained in Pathfinder Companion supplements, Pathfinder Chronicles supplements, and Pathfinder Society modules, as well as articles in Kobold Quarterly.

Paizo simply has a large number of excellent writers and the fans know it.

mixitwithblop fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Feb 27, 2010

mixitwithblop
Feb 4, 2009

by elpintogrande

Tolan posted:

Well, the whole game is basically available for free if you're OK with not having printed books. The Pathfinder Reference Document is complete, unlike the d20 SRD (which lacked a few things like XP tables, as I recall). So you can certainly start with that. The PDF version is also only $10 if you want the art, too, and don't mind a digital format.

So you really can check it out without really forking over much cash if you're willing to play without a physical rulebook.

And if you're a real cheap rear end, the PF SRD website was converted to a nice two column PDF awhile back:

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/extras/downloads/PFRPG_SRD.pdf

I actually tend to use it now and then as except for certain Paizo copyrighted material, its practically a 1 for 1 to the Core Rulebook... and the Core Rulebook PDF is like some kind of graphical beast from hell and views like molasses on even my gaming box.

There's some other nice downloads here: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/extras/downloads

The Game Screen is somewhat useful as a reference sheet. There's a PDF of the Monster SRD as well.

mixitwithblop fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Feb 27, 2010

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Angry Diplomat posted:

there are tons of people still playing 3.5 because they love the system. there are tons of people playing pathfinder because they love the system. repeat for every other edition. a lot of grognards cried at wotc because they wanted 4e to be exactly like 3.5 but with minor updates, so paizo saw that and went, "oh hey we can capitalize on this" and made exactly that.
It's also that some of the Paizo staff are those grognards. The whole "no Vancian spellcasting" thing was (at least they claimed) a real part of their decision to not go along with the GSL and publish 4e-compatible stuff.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

Kvantum posted:

It's also that some of the Paizo staff are those grognards. The whole "no Vancian spellcasting" thing was (at least they claimed) a real part of their decision to not go along with the GSL and publish 4e-compatible stuff.

I've never actually gotten that sentiment from any of the Paizo people. Back when they made their decision there was a fair amount of discussion about it on the forums and people who were planning on moving to 4e were cancelling their subscriptions and asking for answers.

The Paizo guys made it abundantly clear that the 4e rule-set didn't bother them, and that staying with 3.5/OGL was purely a business decision. A lot of this had to do with the GSL, but I'm not a lawyer or business person so I can't tell you exactly what it was that rubbed them wrong. I may be talking out of my rear end here, but I believe they were a little bit skittish about being under the whim of another company when it came to their main product (since their two main magazines were discontinued when WotC took back the license).

They were hoping to become the number one publisher in the minds of people who stayed with 3.5 instead of another 3rd party publisher amongst the many that were moving on to 4e. James Jacobs said that if they had decided to go on with 4e then their adventures and products would reflect the way that game works, but they didn't so it's not something they've really thought about past that. I've never seen any of them indicate that making adventures for 4e presented any challenges that were insurmountable to their writers.

Most of the people at Paizo worked at WotC at one point, and are friends with the guys over there. Even though the Dragon and Dungeon magazine license did not get renewed, the companies are still fairly close and there isn't any kind of hostility between them. There is a fairly active 4e forum at Paizo.com and people convert PF adventures and setting info into 4e all the time, so I think it's unfair to claim that Paizo is staffed by grognards.

Now I don't sit and read the forums endlessly, so maybe I missed one of them saying something grognardy, but all the explanations for Paizo's current business plan has been based entirely on how to make the most money.

Anonymous Zebra fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Feb 28, 2010

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

I may not be remembering it right, but I swear Erik Mona voiced a major distaste for the end of Vancian spellcasting as one of his reasons for not wanting to go 4e.

One of my major reasons, too.

happyelf
Nov 9, 2000

by mons al-madeen
The problem with the GSL wasn't 'THEY CONTROL US' or any of thsat hysteria bullshit. The problem was a genuinly horrible clause in the original GSL that forbade a company from publishing or even selling OGL products while they also had GSL products.

It required them to clear their OGL stock and abandon the OGL, if they were going to publish GSL products.

Mow this is IIRC no longer the case with the GSL. Last I checked, all you have to do is render them celarly distinct in a product. But back then for a company of any size, it was a huge deal, involving not only a complete change in their product line, but the end of their old product lines.

This was the real problem with the GSL. Everything else is bullshit but this is a straight up bad thing, and the only real mistake that WOTC made- and it's a big one. It's clearly a clause inserted by some executive type jackass, and it's since been erased, but the damage is well and truly done.

Now, I don't doubt for a second that the pazio guys are also big fat grognards. Their approach to the pathfinder rebuild, and other factors make it clear that overall they personally were happy to stick with 3e, and did not like what they were seeing in 4e.

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

Tolan posted:

I only buff HP because I've got 5-6 players, usually, so leaving monsters (particularly "boss" monsters) at average HP means they go do in a round or two.

Not a bad thing, necessarily, but I find we get more enjoyment from having the combat go for 6-7 rounds.

Oh, almost forgot--you'll want to check any spells the opponents might be using to make sure they haven't significantly changed from 3.5. There aren't a huge amount of them that did, but some (particularly polymorph effects) did get a fairly major overhaul.

The GM we're playing with is using the Pathfinder MM this time around. We're pre-level 10, and we're experienced some two round encounters. I believe the GM remedied this by using encounters with slightly better challenge ratings.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
That was a constant problem for me in 3.5. My players are by no means min-maxers (or whatever you want to call them). And I never gave an excess of magic items, but every module I ever ran, they absolutely steamrolled every encounter anywhere near the appropriate CR. It took +3 or +4 CR fights to consistently last more than 4 rounds.

I don't know if the whole system is just hosed in 3.5 or what. But I had to adjust every goddamn fight and it was such a pain in the rear end, I ended up just winging it 90% of the time. Add 50% HP, up his AC by 2, attack by 2, dmg by one die, that kind of crap.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

happyelf posted:

It required them to clear their OGL stock and abandon the OGL, if they were going to publish GSL products.

This wasn't the case. The original licence was that a product had to be one system or the other. Ie: You couldn't sell a 3e adventure that also had 4e stats in the back, or vice versa.

If you wanted to update your Tomb of Licensed Adventure from 3e to 4e, you'd first have to get rid of the 3e backstock before you could start moving the 4e stock. They didn't want to be fighting against their old stuff for shelf space, and that makes sense.

Everything went to hell when the guy from Necromancer Games completely misunderstood what was happening there, and made a "...but what if it also means this?!" chicken little post at RPGnet. It got legs because the WotC reps posting in the thread were idiot children.

This is the earliest mention I've found that you'd have to go one way or the other as a company.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
It's actually encounter levels - if your GM makes up encounters based on straight stacking CRs he's doing it wrong. After level 3 or 4, an EL+3 or +4 encounter is totally legit, and in the 10+ area a really challenging fight is probably going to be EL+6 or so

mixitwithblop
Feb 4, 2009

by elpintogrande

happyelf posted:

The problem with the GSL wasn't 'THEY CONTROL US' or any of thsat hysteria bullshit. The problem was a genuinly horrible clause in the original GSL that forbade a company from publishing or even selling OGL products while they also had GSL products.

Mow this is IIRC no longer the case with the GSL. Last I checked, all you have to do is render them celarly distinct in a product. But back then for a company of any size, it was a huge deal, involving not only a complete change in their product line, but the end of their old product lines.

This was the real problem with the GSL. Everything else is bullshit but this is a straight up bad thing, and the only real mistake that WOTC made- and it's a big one. It's clearly a clause inserted by some executive type jackass, and it's since been erased, but the damage is well and truly done.

I think you're ignoring several other fundamental differences between the GSL and OGL keeping many 3rd party publishers away from it... even with the revised version. These are current unless they've revised the GSL again in the last few months.

1. WoTC reserves the right to modify the agreement at any time. Hence, if they make a change you don't want to agree to, well you can no longer distribute your product.

2. You can't just slap the GSL license on your product and ship it. You have to deal with WoTC directly before attempting to publish your product.

3. WoTC reserves the right to terminate your license at any time. WoTC also reserves the right to terminate the GSL completely, in which you case you get a whopping six months to sell your stock and then its done.

4. You basically can't redefine almost anything that's in the core rulebooks. All those cool d20 based custom gameworld products? Gone! You can't describe character creation or advancement at all. It's their way, or the highway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyelf
Nov 9, 2000

by mons al-madeen

moths posted:

This wasn't the case. The original licence was that a product had to be one system or the other. Ie: You couldn't sell a 3e adventure that also had 4e stats in the back, or vice versa.
Did you read the actual GSL at the time? Because there were other companies talking about shedding product, and i'm pretty sure I read the clause in the contract myself at the time. Do you have actual confirmation of this because it sounds liek you're jsut saying that nobody confirmed or denied it in that thread.

quote:

If you wanted to update your Tomb of Licensed Adventure from 3e to 4e, you'd first have to get rid of the 3e backstock before you could start moving the 4e stock. They didn't want to be fighting against their old stuff for shelf space, and that makes sense.
Even if this is the case, it's still a terrible decision, imposes bizzare limites on distribution and stocking, and did not make sense.

mixitwithblop posted:

1. WoTC reserves the right to modify the agreement at any time. Hence, if they make a change you don't want to agree to, well you can no longer distribute your product.
That's pretty conventional and at best a marginal issue turned into a mountain by shrieking 4e haters.

quote:

2. You can't just slap the GSL license on your product and ship it. You have to deal with WoTC directly before attempting to publish your product.
No, you have to send them a letter. I've done it myself, it's no big deal.

quote:

3. WoTC reserves the right to terminate your license at any time. WoTC also reserves the right to terminate the GSL completely, in which you case you get a whopping six months to sell your stock and then its done.
This only seems extreme if you're a moron who think you should be able to use someboedy else's trademarks, for free, forever, no matter how you use them. And remember, unlike the OGL, the trademark you get access to is the big one: dungeons and frikking dragons, not D20 or OGL.

quote:

4. You basically can't redefine almost anything that's in the core rulebooks. All those cool d20 based custom gameworld products? Gone! You can't describe character creation or advancement at all. It's their way, or the highway.
You can do all of that using the OGL: you just can't use the 4e or current D&D trademark while doing it.

And you can duplicate most of that poo poo just using new classes anyway.

BTW, you mean system, not gameworld, you can certainly make your own setting using the GSL.

happyelf fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Feb 28, 2010