Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

Toshimo posted:

No lie, this is one of my biggest concerns. Foundry is the newest shiniest thing, but if they are so heavily leaning on community labor, what happens when the next new shiny thing comes out? How many modules lose support when their devs wander off to their new bauble?

Someone else picks it up? This can easily also happen with Roll20 or FG. Roll20 has definitely started on features and abandoned them in the past.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
The commercial apps will drop support for things that don't have enough of a community to be profitable. The community-supported apps will drop support if the community goes away and there aren't enough coding nerds around to keep them running. The end result is about the same. I'm a little worried about the long-term profitability of Foundry itself, but right now it seems to have momentum so it's probably not going to get dropped immediately. I assume their deals with Free League and the like promise some length of support from the Foundry side too.

For now Foundry is the best option I've found for having a good time pretending to be violence elves in the pandemic, and the visualization, lighting and mapping is so good that I'm seriously considering replacing tokens with chromecasting it to the TV for whenever we can play face to face again. If development stops in a year: eh, everything dies. Not like I have sunk costs and a deep financial investment in the community module.

I think a bigger problem with outsourcing your development to a community of nerds is that while the sort of people who know an RPG system inside and out and write code for it for fun are going to be obsessive when it comes to making everything work, they are not generally the sort of people who will make intuitive, newbie-friendly UIs. Hence recent discussion.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I mean Roll20 half-assed their PF2E implementation and has seemingly already abandoned it for the most part. If all the modules stopped working for Foundry overnight it would still be at least as good as Roll20, and I'd still probably prefer it.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
I have a non-mechanics question regarding Age of Ashes, light spoilers for the first book to follow.

So my players know that they're supposed to end the book owning the keep, but I think I have made the goblins that live in the basement of the keep a little too likeable. I have had a couple PCs remark that they know they're supposed to get the keep but how can they take the poor goblins home away from them?!

For people who have read farther, will it matter if they let the goblins stay in the basement level? Or should I come up with an alternative place for the goblins to move to and try to steer the party in that direction?

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
Letting the goblins stay in their old wing of the citadel basement is an outcome discussed in the AP.

It's very briefly discussed. The Bumblebrashers are never seen again after AP book 2, far as I can tell from a couple of quick ctrl-fs. There they get minimal mention as a potential hook to get the rest of the AP started plus Warbal and Helba are listed as potential hired staff members in the citadel.

It is definitely a little weird for the PCs to go "we found this old deed in your basement so we own this place now, but since we're such nice landlords we'll graciously allow you to stay in your home now that it's ours".

Options if you want to keep them around and try not to make the players feel bad about it:
- Warbal and Helba can say that the tribe doesn't really understand how to maintain a castle, as evidenced by the last two years, especially not one with an important portal nexus in the basement. They are uninterested in being lords and just want to live in peace. The PCs are free to have all the nasty longshanks responsibility.
- The tribe is diminished after the attack, and the citadel is clearly too big a target for them to handle. Maybe even have the Bumblebrashers be scared to stay and only agree to do so if the PCs agree to protect them. That line of argument could become a real icky enlightened PC saviors of noble goblin savages thing, so tread carefully.
- Alak can point out that, legally, the PCs own the citadel as intended by the previous lictor. Hellknights are big on laws and lictors, less big on goblin tribes with funny names.
- Have the PCs go ahead and make the Bumblebrashers co-owners of the citadel, represented by Warbal or maybe Helba. Have Warbal reluctantly suggest the arrangement if the players insist that no no they couldn't possibly keep the deed themselves. Could be a good hook for keeping the PCs on track, and the goblins are unassuming enough that you could have them stay out of the way of the party's decisions without it being weird. You'll probably have to make some minor adjustments to future adventures (I haven't read that far ahead either), and be careful so the PCs don't start letting you/Warbal make all the decisions.

If you don't want to deal with having the Bumblebrashers around for the rest of the AP then you can always have them refuse to stay anywhere in the citadel. Have them cite the cultist raid and the dangerous portal room as evidence that the citadel clearly way too dangerous for any sane goblin and let them relocate to the Goblinblood caves, which is the other "official" outcome. Since you've successfully made the party like them then keeping them closer seems like it could be fun, though, headaches in justifying it while letting the players make all the citadel decisions aside.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Meanwhile my players are literally just letting every cute small race move into their basement The goblins, the kobolds who were already there, and now the Thornscale kobolds who they've cured of arsenic poisoning and took them all the way back to Altaerein

The party's formerly borderline-sociopathic Chaotic Neutral goblin has actually gotten to like them and is very insistent on their well-being.

Seldon
Dec 21, 2008

Blockhouse posted:

Meanwhile my players are literally just letting every cute small race move into their basement The goblins, the kobolds who were already there, and now the Thornscale kobolds who they've cured of arsenic poisoning and took them all the way back to Altaerein

The party's formerly borderline-sociopathic Chaotic Neutral goblin has actually gotten to like them and is very insistent on their well-being.

Now to pivot to a pokemon subplot.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

So, I hate to drag this back into VTT discussion, but since it's specific to PF2e implementation: I have a new group of players who are interested in trying out the Beginner Box with the intention of connecting it into Abomination Vaults if everything goes well. Is there a recommended VTT to jump into at this point? I'm also a new GM. I've played some PF2e on Fantasy Grounds and it was great from a player standpoint, but I'm also a new GM to 2e if that helps!

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000

Quidthulhu posted:

So, I hate to drag this back into VTT discussion, but since it's specific to PF2e implementation: I have a new group of players who are interested in trying out the Beginner Box with the intention of connecting it into Abomination Vaults if everything goes well. Is there a recommended VTT to jump into at this point? I'm also a new GM. I've played some PF2e on Fantasy Grounds and it was great from a player standpoint, but I'm also a new GM to 2e if that helps!

This is a heated topic that has been discussed on the last few pages. You will find people who swear on Roll20, and some (like me) who love Foundry VTT. ...and some who like Fantasy Grounds, I guess :P So I'll just put some quick pros and cons for the two I know:

Roll 20:
+ ease of use
+ hosted for you
- monthly fee (at least for the GM; free isn't enough storage space for most GMs)
- few advanced features

Foundry VTT:
+ one-time fee for GM only
+ highly and easily moddable
+ community-created content is very good for PF2E
- a bit harder to get into
- hosted on GM's PC, so not always on unless he pays for a hosting service
- no premade Tokens for monsters can be a bit of a hassle

Both are run from the browser for players. Foundry can be loaded with animated effects, graphical upgrades (darkvision that turns things black and white for example) and ease-of-use things for both players and GMs.

I made THIS dragon vs. airship encounter in Foundry last night and can't wait to play it. Doubt it would be possible in Roll20. You can see like 4 different mods at work here (Parallaxia for the scrolling, Token Magic FX for the dropshadow and burning flame dragon, Weather FX for the sulfur clouds and embers, and animated spell effects for the whooshing wind). That is great for people who WANT to put time into it; if your priority is to just get something up and running, roll20 is easier.

Luebbi fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Mar 1, 2021

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Luebbi posted:

I made THIS dragon vs. airship encounter in Foundry last night and can't wait to play it. Doubt it would be possible in Roll20. You can see like 4 different mods at work here (Parallaxia for the scrolling, Token Magic FX for the dropshadow and burning flame dragon, Weather FX for the sulfur clouds and embers, and animated spell effects for the whooshing wind). That is great for people who WANT to put time into it; if your priority is to just get something up and running, roll20 is easier.

This is sick.

Mild AoA spoilers for a funny moment in my game:

Last night my players fought the elite soulbound doll in the citadel basement. They were overall taken aback and the paladin who often does try to talk to foes before fighting, tried to get it to chill out by grabbing its face (it was already grappled by the fighter) and saying “little hellknight baby stop what you’re doing right NOW!”

The phrase “little hellknight baby” is stuck in my head now, I love it.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

About to start the transition from 5e to PF2e, dragging a few of my tolerant players along for the ride. I'm importing the Beginner's Box to Foundry using that kickin' rad importer module but all the SRD monsters don't have a token. Does anyone have a link to a collection of PF bestiary tokens? I'd be willing to pay for them but prefer not to have to convert a shitload of random images into tokens if possible.

Also is there an online character builder that doesn't suck poo poo and/or require Blue Stacks?

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Syrinxx posted:

About to start the transition from 5e to PF2e, dragging a few of my tolerant players along for the ride. I'm importing the Beginner's Box to Foundry using that kickin' rad importer module but all the SRD monsters don't have a token. Does anyone have a link to a collection of PF bestiary tokens? I'd be willing to pay for them but prefer not to have to convert a shitload of random images into tokens if possible.

Also is there an online character builder that doesn't suck poo poo and/or require Blue Stacks?

I think the wanderer's guide is the closest. Pathbuilder is working on a webapp supposedly, but it's still in closed beta or patreon only or some poo poo.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Hero Lab Online is a full rules engine rather than just a fill-in-the-blanks character sheet (it'll handle stat changes from buffs and debuffs, it generally accounts for weird rules interactions, etc), but you have to pay for each book because they're actually licensing things from Paizo rather than just working from the OGL like most others do.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I find that in running roll20, TokenStamp has been a life-saver.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

Luebbi posted:

It's technically possible, but that's why Roll20 Enhancement Suite is a thing - to handle all the stuff that Roll20 could be doing but isn't.

Or you could just run Foundry.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Cyouni posted:

It's technically possible, but that's why Roll20 Enhancement Suite is a thing - to handle all the stuff that Roll20 could be doing but isn't.

Or you could just run Foundry.

Last I checked Roll20 enhancement suite required each and every player to manually install an extension into their web browser manually, which is a MUCH higher barrier to entry than Foundry has

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

Arivia posted:

Last I checked Roll20 enhancement suite required each and every player to manually install an extension into their web browser manually, which is a MUCH higher barrier to entry than Foundry has

I certainly agree. Also, as a side note, if they're on Chrome it requires them to install an unpacked extension.

Look, if I could get my GM to switch to Foundry, I drat well would. I've tried everything I can think of short of literally buying it for him. And he's paying for Pro subscription, so it's not the money.
I'm running on FantasyGrounds myself.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

So is that new Ancestry guide that came out any good?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

the_steve posted:

So is that new Ancestry guide that came out any good?

Hell yeah. You can have a party of a Roboy, a Foxlady, a Frogman, and a Tiny Fairy who is half grasshopper and they all have cool poo poo.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Hell yeah. You can have a party of a Roboy, a Foxlady, a Frogman, and a Tiny Fairy who is half grasshopper and they all have cool poo poo.

That does sound :krad:

Is there any good stuff for Humans? Pretty much all of my Pathfinder stuff is strictly for playing in Society games, so I mainly just shop for stuff that helps him out.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

the_steve posted:

That does sound :krad:

Is there any good stuff for Humans? Pretty much all of my Pathfinder stuff is strictly for playing in Society games, so I mainly just shop for stuff that helps him out.

I don't think humans got any new support in this. They got some in the Players guide to Age of Lost omens or whatever it was called. HTis is mostly poo poo for the newer and weirder ancestries.

I mean look at this

quote:

Heritages
Cactus Leshy: Spines cover your body. You gain a spine unarmed attack that deals 1d6 piercing damage. Your spines are in the brawling group and have the finesse and unarmed traits.
Fruit Leshy: Your body continually produces small fruits imbued with primal magic. At dawn each day, a new fruit ripens. You or an ally can remove this fruit as an Interact action. If a living creature that can derive sustenance from fruit consumes it as an Interact action within the next hour, they regain 1d8 Hit Points, plus an additional 1d8 Hit Points for every 2 of your levels beyond 1st. This effect has the healing, necromancy, and positive traits.
Lotus Leshy: You effortlessly float on the surface of water. You can walk on the surface of still water and other non-damaging liquids, moving at half your normal Speed. You can attempt to walk along the surface of flowing water as well, still moving at half Speed, but doing so requires a successful Acrobatics check to Balance using the DC of a Swim check to move through the water; on a failure, you fall into the water. The Acrobatics check doesn't use an action.
Root Leshy: Your body is made from hardy roots that attach you firmly to the ground. You gain 10 Hit Points from your ancestry instead of 8. You can go without sunlight for 2 weeks before you begin to starve. You gain a +2 circumstance bonus to your Fortitude or Reflex DC against attempts to Shove or Trip you. This bonus also applies to saving throws against spells or effects that attempt to move you or knock you prone.
Seaweed Leshy: Your body is made from woven seaweed, and you're just as comfortable underwater as on land. You gain a swim Speed of 20 feet, and you can always breathe underwater. However, your land Speed is reduced by 5 feet (to 20 feet for most seaweed leshys).

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

I'm a little disappointed in the Sprite and Strix. I know, I know, flying PCs break so many things from a game balance view, but you don't get flight at will until 13th level? Totally ruins any idea of a naturally flying species.

braybray
Feb 28, 2021

I mean look at this
Cactus Leshy

At least share the image, they are so cute.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I don't think humans got any new support in this. They got some in the Players guide to Age of Lost omens or whatever it was called. HTis is mostly poo poo for the newer and weirder ancestries.

I mean look at this

Like I said, that sounds cool as poo poo.
I just don't get to play outside of Society, so that biases my views when I look at anything.
I'm still going to get it, I just wanted to make sure it wasn't going to be a disappointment

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

braybray posted:

At least share the image, they are so cute.

PF2E's art is all phenomenal but all their Leshy and Kobold art is NExt Level poo poo.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Some of those leshy variants have pawns in the PC Collection already - they future proofed the options a little bit.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

PF2E's art is all phenomenal but all their Leshy and Kobold art is NExt Level poo poo.

I quite like 2e gnomes, though maybe that's just because they're three-fourths of the way to being yordles and so it makes the halfling-gnome distinction more, uh, distinct than in 1e.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

The best part about the APG is going through all the Art for Archetypes and finding so many powerful lesbians.

Including one that is literally just Beau from Critical Role

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

Kvantum posted:

I'm a little disappointed in the Sprite and Strix. I know, I know, flying PCs break so many things from a game balance view, but you don't get flight at will until 13th level? Totally ruins any idea of a naturally flying species.

Sprites at least get the option to grow wings and fluttter to reach stuff bigger characters can reach, which feels like a good "you can fly but you can't fly" compromise option for level 1. Personally, I prefer that they scaled back flight and change the lore to account for that to giving them instant flight speeds that become an uphill battle to ever convince GMs to let you play. The chapter does open with a paragraph on how to adjust things as a GM if you want to let PCs fly from the start, too, so I think it covered the bases pretty well.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Humans didn't get anything specific to them, but the new Versatile Geniekin and Beastkin heritages are very cool and good, with mechanically useful feats at all levels.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

M. Night Skymall posted:

I think the wanderer's guide is the closest. Pathbuilder is working on a webapp supposedly, but it's still in closed beta or patreon only or some poo poo.
Thanks, this is really great. I'm surprised Paizo hasn't put together something of their own as an online compendium/portal/character thing.

As for the Adventures what would be the best for a bunch of PF2e newbs after the Beginners Box? I had assumed Fall of Plaguestone since it's the first one but I'm not sure... something like the PF equivalent to Lost Mines of Phandelver would be great

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Syrinxx posted:

Thanks, this is really great. I'm surprised Paizo hasn't put together something of their own as an online compendium/portal/character thing.

As for the Adventures what would be the best for a bunch of PF2e newbs after the Beginners Box? I had assumed Fall of Plaguestone since it's the first one but I'm not sure... something like the PF equivalent to Lost Mines of Phandelver would be great

Troubles in Otari is the natural follow up to the beginners box, it takes place in the same town and is a direct continuation from the beginner box adventure "Menace under Otari." I'm running the Abomination Vaults AP in combination with those two to give the PCs more options and ways to get to know people in town, which is working pretty well so far.

I've read that Fall of Plaguestone is a bit of a rough adventure, but I haven't actually run it. I feel like Paizo is pushing hard to make Otari and the Abomination Vaults be the PF2e equivalent of Sandpoint/Rise of the Runelords. The last book of AV isn't out yet, but the first two are pretty good and I think it's the best way to get started with PF2e right now.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

M. Night Skymall posted:

Troubles in Otari is the natural follow up to the beginners box, it takes place in the same town and is a direct continuation from the beginner box adventure "Menace under Otari." I'm running the Abomination Vaults AP in combination with those two to give the PCs more options and ways to get to know people in town, which is working pretty well so far.

I've read that Fall of Plaguestone is a bit of a rough adventure, but I haven't actually run it. I feel like Paizo is pushing hard to make Otari and the Abomination Vaults be the PF2e equivalent of Sandpoint/Rise of the Runelords. The last book of AV isn't out yet, but the first two are pretty good and I think it's the best way to get started with PF2e right now.
Thanks, I feel dumb for missing that connection since the adventures share the name

Followup question, am I reading this right that the Pathfinder Adventure subscription includes the PDFs for free with everything you buy that's shipped to you? Is the subscription useful for someone who wants the past adventures or is it really only for getting the newest stuff?

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

bored before I even began
You only get the most current and new items with the subscription.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

M. Night Skymall posted:

How are you handling leveling, here? I thought the Abomination Vaults AP started at level 1, but doesn't Menace Under Otari end with the characters leveling up to 2?

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

The subscription model is..weird. You pay full price + shipping for books, you get pdfs free. The main advantage to me is that they will give you the PDF as soon they ship out the books, which is typically a week or 2 ahead of the street date, so you get things early, both the physical books and the PDF. Definitely not a great deal if you just want PDFs.

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

Are they still offering the 15% discount to new subscribers for subbing to the APs? Those do apply across all other subscriptions if they still offer it, as well as getting the PFS modules with four subscriptions.

Once the discount is taken off you right around cover price for the physical and PDF, which to me is a fair price.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

VikingofRock posted:

How are you handling leveling, here? I thought the Abomination Vaults AP started at level 1, but doesn't Menace Under Otari end with the characters leveling up to 2?

I'm running it with slow XP progression and I just drop encounters/roll encounters together so they get less XP in any particular part. These are super light AV/Troubles in Otari spoilers. I'm also adjusting loot a little since it basically duplicates the loot across AV book 1 and Menace/Troubles in Otari. But plenty of the loot in AV1 is just like lying around so I just ..don't have that loot be there and it's fine. The encounter balance in AV is already a little uneven since it's a sandbox and you can march off to your death against higher level stuff pretty early if you're determined. I'm not too far into it yet, but it looks like it'll be fine. Also the way XP progression in PF2e works help a little, if you roll through a bunch of low level encounters you get significantly less XP than if you did them on level. There're plenty of encounters to level them up on slow progression in the AP, but also all Paizo APs have waaay more encounters than you probably want to do, so I think it'll work out ok.

I normally use milestone leveling, but awarding XP seems to fit the sandbox style a lot better, and it hasn't been too much of a hassle to track.

Edit: Guess I can just layout how it's actually going. Spoilers for the various adventures/APs involved I started them out at Wrin's where we've established in session 0 that they're friends of Wrin intending to help her solve her mystery, they head off to the ruins and begin exploring. Eventually they'll have to rest/return, at that point I had Tamily run into them and note how filthy they are from wading around in a swamp and tell them she may have some work for up and coming adventurers. They bit on that so I sent them into the basement for Menace under Otari. They level to 2 off that and I give them some downtime to recover, one of my players is a follower of Ashava and has to dance alone in the graveyard for an hour every night which gives me a pretty much perfect hook for Deadtide for Otari. After that I assume they'll head back into the ruins and do some more investigating, I've already rolled some of the encounters in the first floor of AV1 together to make them more on level and reduce the total number/amount of XP, then when they make some more progress in there I'll probably drop the hook for the first part of Troubles, since I think they'll be ready for a base by then instead of walking back and forth and dealing with all the villagers holding their nose from the swamp people. Haven't worked out how I'm going to factor in the latter parts of troubles, but I have plenty of time and stuff for them to do for now.

M. Night Skymall fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Mar 2, 2021

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

shoplifter posted:

You only get the most current and new items with the subscription.

Ok probably not for me then. I wish they just had a series of bundles like "Adventure + relevant Flipmats + relevant Pawns" like I shouldn't need to wait for a Humble Bundle to get a collection started at a reasonable cost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

They can ship older stuff with it FWIW, if that’s an issue. You just can’t get older stuff autoshipped.