Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
Friends of mine who are pretty solid powergamers said that the thing isn't particularly overpowered. It gets lots of actions, but Wizard summoning isn't particularly impressive and the Eidolon's attack bonus is terrible.

EDIT: Woah hey looks like the buffed that sucker.

EDIT2: Actually I'm back to unimpressed. Your 26 tentacle monster is hitting at a +18 at level 20. I dunno. It's probably mid-powerful because it never gets super high level spells, other than Gate.

EDIT3: Ugh nevermind look at that spell list. I doubt he's any more powerful than a wizard, but unless it's a really good player who spends a lot of out of game prep time he'll probably drag the game.

Danhenge fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Mar 28, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

I'm guessing this is the best place to ask this question. What kind of demand is there for 3.5 ed books? I have a huge collection I'm thinking of selling online to make some space, but I'm unsure whether it would be worth the hassle, or what a reasonable asking price would be. At the moment I'm thinking about $10 a book, plus shipping. How does that sound?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Danhenge posted:

Friends of mine who are pretty solid powergamers said that the thing isn't particularly overpowered. It gets lots of actions, but Wizard summoning isn't particularly impressive and the Eidolon's attack bonus is terrible.

EDIT: Woah hey looks like the buffed that sucker.

EDIT2: Actually I'm back to unimpressed. Your 26 tentacle monster is hitting at a +18 at level 20. I dunno. It's probably mid-powerful because it never gets super high level spells, other than Gate.

EDIT3: Ugh nevermind look at that spell list. I doubt he's any more powerful than a wizard, but unless it's a really good player who spends a lot of out of game prep time he'll probably drag the game.

Actually it would be +24 base if you put all the points in strength, gave it +1 weapons, and had it take weapon focus. Plus you can buff it or give it more items as well. Considering that a CR 20 ancient gold dragon has 39 AC, that would hit on a 15 or higher, which is a little over 7 hits a round on average before any strength buffing items or spells. Heroism would last 200 minutes and gives +2 to hit, add a belt of giant strength +4 or bull's strength and you're hitting 12 times a round on average. If you're willing to take 4 fewer attacks, you can make it large, which would still give it 22 attacks and would add +3 to hit and damage. You can drop another 4 attacks and make it huge, which would give it 18 attacks a round at +30 base. When buffed with heroism and the belt/bull's strength, that brings it to +34, you're hitting the dragon 14 times a round. With +1 short swords, that 2d6+16 each, for a total average of 322 damage a round. Improved critical and criticals probably give 2 crits on average with that, bringing the total average to 368 damage, leaving the dragon at 9 HP, meaning on average it takes just over one round to kill a ancient gold dragon. Against a balor, you're getting 12.96 regular hits and 3.24 crits, for an average of 204 damage, AFTER DR. Thus the balor lasts 2 rounds. Except the summoner can become the same thing huge monster himself.

Edit: Woops, forgot the +8 to strength that the Eidelon gets at 20th level, but gently caress if I'm gonna calculate everything again. The dragon would die in one round, the balor would still probably take 2 rounds though. Also for 2 less attacks, you could make it quadripedal, and give it pounce.

Piell fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Mar 28, 2010

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

glitchwraith posted:

I'm guessing this is the best place to ask this question. What kind of demand is there for 3.5 ed books? I have a huge collection I'm thinking of selling online to make some space, but I'm unsure whether it would be worth the hassle, or what a reasonable asking price would be. At the moment I'm thinking about $10 a book, plus shipping. How does that sound?

Are you talking about the official 3.5 core books, or OGL books? Ten is okay (you might want to go a little lower to sell faster) for stuff like Player's/GM's Handbook. OGL stuff is a crapshoot that depends on the interest of the buyer.

Captain Hats
Jan 6, 2009

ELF

Father Wendigo posted:

Are you talking about the official 3.5 core books, or OGL books? Ten is okay (you might want to go a little lower to sell faster) for stuff like Player's/GM's Handbook. OGL stuff is a crapshoot that depends on the interest of the buyer.

Ten bucks for the 3.5 PHB? I'd buy that in a heartbeat, it's going for £35 on Amazon.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Father Wendigo posted:

No, they are all official Wizards published books. Never got into any of the OGL stuff for that vary reason.

Captain Hats posted:

Ten bucks for the 3.5 PHB? I'd buy that in a heartbeat, it's going for £35 on Amazon.

Wow. I might raise the price of the three core books then, though definitely not that high. It is a used book, after all. I am a bit confused why Amazon.co.uk is charging so much more for it. Amazon.com has it selling brand new for only $54.

Captain Hats
Jan 6, 2009

ELF

glitchwraith posted:

Wow. I might raise the price of the three core books then, though definitely not that high. It is a used book, after all. I am a bit confused why Amazon.co.uk is charging so much more for it. Amazon.com has it selling brand new for only $54.

Chalk it down to UK/US pricing differences. Most of the time the price over here is the same as the US, just with the dollar sign replaced with a pound sign. Possibly there's greater demand for it on our side of the pond as well? Different gaming styles prevail and all that.

Or maybe it's just price gouging, I don't know.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

glitchwraith posted:

Also note they have the 3.5 DM's guide for fifteen plus shipping. That said, I could swear the local used book store had a copy going for ~$20 a few months ago, which was par for their (retail * 2/3) price scheme. I'll have to stop by this week and see if it's still there.

Karatela
Sep 11, 2001

Clickzorz!!!

Grimey Drawer

glitchwraith posted:

You think you got it bad? Amazon.ca has used at CDN$61 and new at CDN$110. Gonna guess Amazon is just full of goddamn chiselers.

Buying these things in Canada retail blows, since, for example, Magic Item Compendium has a suggested retail of US$34.95, and CDN$44.00. When the exchange rate is nearly equal for years, or at worst, US$0.90 per CDN$1, that is a total pissoff. Just wanted to complain about that a bit I guess, since fresh off the press or loving used, you can't get a break here.

mixitwithblop
Feb 4, 2009

by elpintogrande
Apparently Paizo is looking for GM volunteers at Paizocon and Gencon: http://paizo.com/paizo/blog/v5748dyo5law5

I don't think they're offering much for volunteers at Paizocon, but I did notice they're offering free four day badges for Gencon and then some.

In other news, the Game Mastery Guide is apparently done. I'm really wondering whether its more or less the 3.5E DMG 1 & 2 combined(minus material already printed in the core rules), but 'Pathfinderized', or what.

Etherwind
Apr 22, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 86 days!
Soiled Meat
It'll be poo poo advice on game balance from people who don't understand the concept, and then maybe a tonne of semi-decent arbitration and storytelling advice to make it work.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Etherwind posted:

It'll be poo poo advice on game balance from people who don't understand the concept...
They understand it, they just don't care about it as much as WotC.

Etherwind
Apr 22, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 86 days!
Soiled Meat

Kvantum posted:

Without getting into yet another loving argument that'll derail the thread, I seriously disagree, for copious reasons given.

happyelf
Nov 9, 2000

by mons al-madeen
I'm actually interested in seeing what's in that book since there was literally no gming advice in their core rule book.

Kvantum posted:

They don't udnerstand it, and their lack of consideration is a failure on their part.

mixitwithblop
Feb 4, 2009

by elpintogrande

happyelf posted:

I'm actually interested in seeing what's in that book since there was literally no gming advice in their core rule book.
They don't udnerstand it, and their lack of consideration is a failure on their part.

Maybe the guide will feature how to convert 4E to Pathfinder:

quote:

Advanced GM techniques such as fixing a "broken" game, using accessories, converting content from other systems, using props and handouts, when to "cheat," and how to prep a game from scratch in 15 minutes

Hmm.. prep a game in 15 min. "So ur in a cave and a buncha dudes grab their swords. Oh poo poo a wizardzzzz!"

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
That's the same stuff that's been in every dnd DMG since forever. Woo exciting.

mixitwithblop
Feb 4, 2009

by elpintogrande

RagnarokAngel posted:

That's the same stuff that's been in every dnd DMG since forever. Woo exciting.

Well, I don't think the idea is to try to be ground breaking or anything. Seems it's really more about just filling in the missing bits. The full blurb from the product page:

quote:

# The Pathfinder RPG GameMastery Guide includes: Campaign basics such as choosing a tone, getting players together (and working together), and guidelines to establish exciting narrative techniques
# An extensive chapter on handling players and their characters, from balancing a party to handling PC death and new characters to common house rules and solo campaigns
# Tips for creating memorable Non-Player Characters, guidelines for followers, cohorts, sages, and hirelings, and more than 100 stat blocks for common NPCs such as guardsmen, knights, bandits, pirates, villagers, and nobles
# Mountains of advice for handling treasure and rewards, from extensive lists of sample treasures to guidelines for nonstandard rewards like NPC favors, adjudicating wish spells, and making magic items
# Rules and suggestions for world building, including community generation, overviews of different culture and technology paradigms, dealing with terrain, building calendars, and planar considerations
# Advanced GM techniques such as fixing a "broken" game, using accessories, converting content from other systems, using props and handouts, when to "cheat," and how to prep a game from scratch in 15 minutes
# Additional advanced rules including chases, sanity, hauntings, mysteries and investigations, research, weather, diseases, hazards, curses, poisons, traps, and much more
# As many idea-generating and time-saving charts and tables as we can manage to fit between two covers!

Nothing new really, just a Paizo/Pathfinder take on it all.

FirstCongoWar
Aug 21, 2002

It feels so 80's or early 90's to be political.
how to fix a broken game:

start over with a better system

mixitwithblop
Feb 4, 2009

by elpintogrande

Go go Valeros! Save the kawaii sakura from the tentacle pe... wait what are those?

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!
They all have the shark eyes. Is this a Pathfinder change?

happyelf
Nov 9, 2000

by mons al-madeen
i love how action packed all the pathfinder art is, there's always people leaping around, doing lots of cool manuvers and stuff, and also a particularly large amount of forced movement

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

MartianAgitator posted:

They all have the shark eyes. Is this a Pathfinder change?

Paizo Blog posted:

For a final sneak peek at From Shore to Sea, take a look here at Valeros trying to save some hapless (and disturbingly fishy) villagers from more of those pesky giant tentacles. And be careful when you go swimming. You never know what might be lurking beneath the waves!

It's a picture from a module that has to do with aboleths and other ocean horrors. I don't think Valeros himself actually has fishy eyes. Can't tell from the angle his head is at.

http://paizo.com/paizo/blog/v5748dyo5lax0

EDIT: Apparently the art for this module caused all kinds of issues since the guy they originally hired to draw for it waited until the final due date and turned in like 3 quick pencil drawings when they originally had ordered 20 full-color illustrations. The guy is never working for Paizo again, but that still left them scrambling to get the module out on time.

happyelf
Nov 9, 2000

by mons al-madeen
which guy was the crappy pencil guy, out of interest?

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005

happyelf posted:

which guy was the crappy pencil guy, out of interest?

They never gave his name. All they said was that it was the first time they used him and also the last time. Basically it was a blog entry about the tribulations of getting poo poo out on deadline and they mentioned that their art department basically was scrambling to find an artist who could draw an entire module in a few days. They never gave the name of the original artist, but the new artist will be fully credited in the module itself.

happyelf
Nov 9, 2000

by mons al-madeen
yeah i read the post
it's really loving annoying when devs act coy about poo poo like that

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

happyelf posted:

i love how action packed all the pathfinder art is, there's always people leaping around, doing lots of cool manuvers and stuff, and also a particularly large amount of forced movement

lol.

happyelf
Nov 9, 2000

by mons al-madeen
and in contrast most 4e art seems to be 'stand around, occasionally blast a dude or cast a cool spell, not really move much'

ninjeff
Jan 19, 2004

happyelf posted:

and in contrast most 4e art seems to be 'stand around, occasionally blast a dude or cast a cool spell, not really move much'
'do you think this armour makes me look horse-faced'

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
I love clicking this link every so often. http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG

Everytime you load the page a random illustration from the different books comes up and some of them are awesome as gently caress.

EDIT: Such as this wonderful take on George Washington's crossing of the Delaware. (From the Andoran, Spirit of Liberty book)

Anonymous Zebra fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Apr 3, 2010

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

happyelf posted:

which edition has bigger tits

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

crime fighting hog posted:

which edition has bigger tits

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005

Mikan posted:

You have yet to delve into the all the fan service pics that some people draw of the Pathfinder iconics.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Those tits aren't really that huge.

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

Anonymous Zebra posted:

You have yet to delve into the all the fan service pics that some people draw of the Pathfinder iconics.

This has been by choice though. I'm okay with not seeing these things.

ninjeff
Jan 19, 2004

Countblanc posted:

Those tits aren't really that huge.
        /

mixitwithblop
Feb 4, 2009

by elpintogrande

Mikan posted:

This has been by choice though. I'm okay with not seeing these things.

It's almost not even necessary...

Valeros' will is so low, he just can't help grabbin some fine elf booty.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Hah, holy poo poo. Which book is that second one from? I'm assuming it's supposed to be a scene where an assassin is about to attack a relaxed party, but I've never seen it anywhere on the site before.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Hah, holy poo poo. Which book is that second one from? I'm assuming it's supposed to be a scene where an assassin is about to attack a relaxed party, but I've never seen it anywhere on the site before.

It's from one of the Legacy of Fire AP chapters (#3, I think). The group is being hosted by a sage while he deciphers a map they've gotten, and he's got a big communal bath area. Cue assassins, etc.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

So they've released the second chapter in the Kingmaker AP, which has an article about building your kingdom. A couple folks had expressed some interest in it, so here's a quick rundown.

Kingdoms have a number of attributes, but the key ones are Control, Stability, Economy, Loyalty and Unrest. Control is just a DC for Stability, Economy, and Loyalty checks, which happen once a month. Unrest is a penalty to those checks; if it gets too high you start to lose hexes or go into anarchy.

The kingdom's treasury is measured in Build Points; no keeping track of actual money, though there are ways for characters to put money into the kingdom (converting them to BPs).

Each kingdom has 11 "roles", each of which provides bonuses to the S/E/L rolls based on the character in that role. A character in a role has to spend at least a week of game time performing the functions somewhere in the kingdom. There are penalties for having vacant roles, generally. It doesn't specifically say but I'd guess that a single character can fill multiple roles if necessary.

Characters can issue "Edicts" which control taxes, whether or not there's festivals, and how aggressively they're promoting their kingdom for new settlers.

There's a fairly involved city construction section, where the party gets to found and layout a city on a grid; different buildings cost different amounts of BPs. The buildings usually provide some concrete advantage. BPs are also used to claim new territory and other miscellaneous things (like pay for festivals).

Once a month, you go through four phases: Upkeep, Improvement, Income, and Event. Upkeep's just what it sounds like: you pay some BPs to maintain the existing kingdom. You make a Stability check here, success reduces your Unrest. Improvement's where you claim new hexes, build stuff in your city, run roads, add farms, etc. Income is just what it sounds like; here's where your characters dump money into the kingdom or take it out. 4000 gp gets you a BP added to your treasury; taking one out gets you 2000 gp + some Unrest. Items worth over 4000gp have to be sold individually. Events is just a random event, usually it results in having to make one of the checks to see whether or not you can avoid or ameliorate it.

Characters get experience for establishing the kingdom and growing it, though the amounts are small enough that it's more a nice bonus than "hay I will make this my career". The group's still going to have to adventure.

It looks to me like it shouldn't take up an inordinate amount of time to handle the actual running of the kingdom, and there's enough meat to hook into if you wanted to expand things (the events in particular). The city construction seems a mite fiddly to me, but it's also kinda neat to be able to lay out buildings and see your city grow in a sort of fantasy SimCity thing, so maybe it'll work out in the long run. Once everyone's gotten into their roles and such I think it'd take maybe 15 minutes to handle a month's worth of activity at the kingdom level, with most of that taken up with deciding what city stuff to put in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Tolan posted:

So they've released the second chapter in the Kingmaker AP, which has an article about building your kingdom. A couple folks had expressed some interest in it, so here's a quick rundown.

Then three questions about it:

How easy is it to convert to 4E?

Does the "fluff" of the city make it that-adventure only?

How much does it cost to purchase just that, without any pathfinder crap?