Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Claymore is a dark-fantasy shounen fighting series by Norihiro Yagi serialized in Jump Square. It can be described extremely loosely as "Berserk but with girls." Or rather "Berserk but with girls and less demon rape and more over-the-top shounen battles and oh my limbs don't like to stay attached at all." There's an anime too that was pretty good until it went to hell with its anime-only ending arc.

In the world of Claymore humans live in fear of being devoured by Yoma, demonic beings that can take the shape of a person and like to hide in towns. Extremely powerful and almost undetectable until they've eaten your intestines, people are helpless.

Enter the "Claymores", women who are called so thanks to the enormous swords they carry. Part of a mysterious organization and identifiable by their pale hair and silver eyes, they are shunned from society for being Half-Yoma themselves. But because of their Yoma blood they are able to wield power great enough to take down the Yoma. For a price, they will save your town. But of course, that's not all there is to this setup, with conspiracies and machinations in place that neither the humans, Yoma, or Claymores know about. Our story follows a Claymore named Clare and her comrades as they try to survive in this brutal world and unravel its mysteries.

Why should I read this when I could just read Berserk?
Well, it's updated more frequently. And while Berserk is the undisputed king of dark-fantasy seinen, Claymore revels in its own battles which are much closer to typical shounen fighting but with an absurd power curve. Claymore is primarily preoccupied with two things only: what/when/where is the next big fight to be had, and how crazy can the situation become for these characters? The pace is extremely fast, but not to the point of Fairy Tail. Though the monthly waits get to be a bit much at times, the story has yet to become bogged down and the rising action has been top notch.

Also, despite the author's artwork at the start, it eventually gets to be pretty drat pretty looking:

With the month almost over it's probably as good a time as any to get a new thread in time for the next new chapter.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 16:22 on May 29, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Did a decent translation ever come out for that line from the last chapter?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

What chapter is that from out of interest?

Also, I need to check out how many volumes of this have been released in Europe nowadays. I bought the first 9 or so as a batch after first reading this when ADTRW stumbled on it ages ago and a few more since but I'm probably behind by at least a few at the moment. It's handy to have actual issues of it to, since the monthly wait means I forget poo poo a lot.

Edit: The wikipedia page for Claymore lists a DS game and says it's similiar to Castlevania in terms of gameplay. Which sounds pretty awesome. Anyone here played it out of interest?

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

tsob posted:

Edit: The wikipedia page for Claymore lists a DS game and says it's similiar to Castlevania in terms of gameplay. Which sounds pretty awesome. Anyone here played it out of interest?

I dug up a ROM of it, to see how it was, and...It's pretty bad. Or dull, at least. There's some kind of youki adjusting system that can come into play too, that sounded a little much. The basic gameplay wasn't very exciting, so I didn't bother to dig into it much.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

tsob posted:

What chapter is that from out of interest?
Chapter 39, during the fight with Ophelia.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Claymore 101 is up: http://franky-house.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11268

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Elentor posted:

Claymore 101 is up: http://franky-house.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11268

Felt like one of the weaker chapters of late - No one wants to see the hero falter in the face of adversity, especially not in a shounen, unless it seems/is telegraphed that the faltering will only be followed by an amazing badass moment - which doesn't seem to be the case here..

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Helen and Deneve are the best combo/buddies/bros.

E: Clare not being able to awaken because of Jean was kind of silly though. Also the author is the biggest fan of the Big drat Heroes trope I've ever seen.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Mar 2, 2010

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Thirst Mutilator posted:

Felt like one of the weaker chapters of late - No one wants to see the hero falter in the face of adversity, especially not in a shounen, unless it seems/is telegraphed that the faltering will only be followed by an amazing badass moment - which doesn't seem to be the case here..

Well there is no loving way she is stronger than the Abyssal Ones. Not even two fighting her simultaneously made her sweat. If Clare decided to go forward with the fight she'd have been clobbered and the series would end. I fully expected somehow she'd get zerged by the spears and that's how the fight would have ended.

I think the translation is screwed up. The beginning analysis part doesn't make sense at all.

Pigasus
Dec 26, 2009

Too fat to wear pink.

Nate RFB posted:

Is it me or is there three Claires in this picture?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I think that this is Clare's new defining trait. Everyone else has to worry about awakening if they go too far, but now she has a mental block making her completely incapable of doing that. I'm not sure how exactly that will work as a power-up, but the possibility is there. The problem here is that she keeps trying to awaken and is fighting the strongest character in the series. And as Youtuber said, this has the convenient side effect of letting Clare meet Priscilla and survive.
Besides, I liked Jean and I'm glad that her death hasn't been forgotten.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Mar 3, 2010

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Pigasus posted:

There are definitely three Claires in that picture, one of each version of her design.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pigasus posted:

It's kinda creepy to be quite honest.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Mental block more like mental wedge.

apekillape
Jan 23, 2009

by Peatpot
Chapter was confusing. I've never had this problem before, but for a couple of the characters I completely could not remember who the hell they were.

Also: I want Ilena back.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
I think it would have helped if the Franky House people had done a bit of proofreading, or let someone look over their script who was actually a writer. The dialogue was really confusing and I don't think it was the fault of the original script, the translation felt really stilted and didn't scan well, and there were typos and dodgy tenses all over the place.

Then again, they're doing it for free and I certainly don't speak Japanese, so who am I to complain?

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Can someone translate it for us? What the gently caress is going on in the prologue analysis part? This scanlation doesn't make any sense.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

apekillape posted:

Chapter was confusing. I've never had this problem before, but for a couple of the characters I completely could not remember who the hell they were.

For most people this is the case with every chapter of Claymore. I think you actually have some superhuman ability to identify people by differences in the shape of their hair.

(for what it's worth I'm pretty sure I can identify Miria, Claire, and the one with two swords reliably!)

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Helen has a fivehead.

Cynthia has two braided ponytails. Pigtails?

Uma looks boring.

Chick that showed up at the end was that girl they saved earlier.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
Uh well here's my translation for the beginning part

Page 01

- I was able to use the battle against Rigaldo as a model for the fight with Priscilla

Page 02

- Although I wasn't aware of this when I was fighting with Rigaldo
- I realized afterward that things like physical size, speed、 and offense, all came together with Priscilla (*basically she's saying it's some deja vu poo poo)

- On that day, between warriors with only average strength, the one effective with their claymore was
- not the brutish Sophia, but Hurricane Noel, who cut off that arm. That too, made me understand. (*Sophia and Noel were from Teressa's time and this arm is Priscilla's arm from when she first awakened)

- High physical strength is unnecessary. It's better to have superior speed and technique.

(The rest reads fine to me, training for 7 years blah blah blah)

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

Hm, the spear monsters are all female in the sense that they all have breasts. Also, Deitrich's rear end is showing in a particularly revealing up"skirt" shot on the last page. Most of the time this manga feels like Berserk with chicks but sometimes it feels like a spoof of itself.

ShinMagus
Aug 8, 2008
Claymore 102 is out, ladies and gentlemen. :)

Nice Abyssal Eater display. :P

Riful is officially dead, and Priscilla actually had to awaken this time (whoa), perhaps meaning Infested Duff is the strongest foe she came across in this recent series of events, or it was just the element of surprise and the fact Duff had her cornered.

Priscilla's final words in the chapter also spell doom for Deneve and Helen. Good thing Yagi still has the liberty to leave the duo's heads in place.

ShinMagus fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Apr 2, 2010

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Aw, dang it. I always liked Riful and Duff.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
GIGA DUFF :hellyeah:

apekillape
Jan 23, 2009

by Peatpot
Sad as poo poo about Riful, but gently caress THAT WAS AWESOME.

That was like, movie awesome. If that poo poo was on film I would've busted a nut right there. I actually cheered out loud a little. Holy gently caress.

When that SHAPE came up behind her, I whispered to myself "Oh poo poo, please be Dauf".

IT WAS DAUF AND WAY MORE AWESOME THAN I COULD HAVE IMAGINED.

RIP Riful. Avenge her please Dauf.

Unmistakeable Fire
Oct 1, 2006
All right I am jonesing for more Berserk type stuff and this looks as good as any. Can anyone comment on the depth of it though, with regards to the stuff outside of the battles? I'm fine if it isn't particularly deep but I'd like to know what to expect before reading it.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
He actually looks a lot cooler as a zombie

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
There is a lot going on in the background, but not much of it was revealed until somewhat recently. I'm not gonna lie, the fights are the best part of the series and there are a lot of them. However, there has also been some pretty good character work for just about everyone except Clare and Raki.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Did anyone else feel like yelling "Um, run away while Priscilla is distracted?" at Helen and Deneve?"

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Unmistakeable Fire posted:

All right I am jonesing for more Berserk type stuff and this looks as good as any. Can anyone comment on the depth of it though, with regards to the stuff outside of the battles? I'm fine if it isn't particularly deep but I'd like to know what to expect before reading it.
I won't sugar coat it; it's a shounen series, and as such the main focus is always the fights. There have been some interesting developments here and there and I think it is somewhat more mature than most shounen in terms of writing, but it's still almost always about poo poo being as kicking rad as possible without much detail or depth in non-fight material.

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
This and Vinland Saga are probably the closest you can get to Berserk. All three are great.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

unprofessional posted:

This and Vinland Saga are probably the closest you can get to Berserk. All three are great.

If you like Berserk and Farmville / Harvest Moon, you'll love Vinland Saga.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
There are a lot of things I'd recommend over Claymore to somebody who liked Berserk for the character development or subtext - including a few that surpass Berserk itself by quite a bit - but you could do a lot worse, too.

Unmistakeable Fire
Oct 1, 2006

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

There are a lot of things I'd recommend over Claymore to somebody who liked Berserk for the character development or subtext - including a few that surpass Berserk itself by quite a bit - but you could do a lot worse, too.

Like? I don't want to derail this thread into a Berserkfest so feel free to respond to me in the Recommending thread since there are people there who continually ask for Berserk substitutes (god knows we can't bump the actual Berserk thread lest someone commits suicide out of despair.)

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:
I stopped reading for whatever reason after they reintroduced Raki. Is he still god drat annoying?

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

MH Knights posted:

Did anyone else feel like yelling "Um, run away while Priscilla is distracted?" at Helen and Deneve?"

This is Japanese story telling, this will never occur.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
Now that's what I call pierced nipples.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

GoldenNugget posted:

I stopped reading for whatever reason after they reintroduced Raki. Is he still god drat annoying?
Huh? What are you even talking about? Post-timeskip Raki is a badass.

Though no, we haven't seen him in a whole, although I expect him to turn up soon and stop Priscilla from slaughtering our heroines, since it's difficult to imagine anyone else who could.

canned_fruit
Feb 4, 2008
drat, I like this series but it's getting so hard to tell what's going on. All the characters look almost exactly the same apart from hairstyle differences. The only Claymores I can really recognise anymore are Clare, Deneve and Helen. I've forgotten the rest and had absolutely no idea who the two we saw at the beginning of the chapter were. It doesn't help that it's a monthly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Sindai posted:

Huh? What are you even talking about? Post-timeskip Raki is a badass.

Though no, we haven't seen him in a whole, although I expect him to turn up soon and stop Priscilla from slaughtering our heroines, since it's difficult to imagine anyone else who could.

Raki is in the custody of the organization and suffering from a parasite. What the hell is he going to accomplish? At best Priscilla will leave to go rescue him. Just face it, Raki = Orihime.

• Locked thread