Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Took the librarian civil service exam a few days ago at a county position I applied for, if anyone's considering applying for a public library job that has a similar requirement and wants to know what to expect.

The majority of the exam was pretty simple customer service and management skill questions, reading comprehension questions like you'd see in a high school English test, and looking through sets of data for discrepancies. Other parts included doing basic math on pencil and paper with no calculator (PEMDAS materiel), questions about library terminology and general procedures, filing questions (put a list of authors or titles in the correct order), and looking at simulated library card applications versus a template to spot errors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

a friendly penguin posted:

For those of you who get to sit on hiring committees, when someone asks you for feedback on how to improve for future interviews, this is an unhelpful answer:

Even if we're perfection personified, there's still a reason you chose someone else, please tell us what it is.

Anyone else get similarly poor feedback? Or for interviewers, is this standard feedback so as to avoid offending anyone?

Bah, that's a load of rear end. Terribly sorry my advice didn't work.

I agree that that does sound like either typical HR covering, or the new trend of "hands off" management where they're so concerned with not offending or insulting anyone that they end up actually being much ruder then if they would just come out and say it.

I had a similar thing happen where I'd been through two phone interviews, been flown in for an in person, and then didn't hear anything for two weeks, and got the form rejection letter form the HR software. It hurt, not gonna lie.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Toph Bei Fong posted:

I had a similar thing happen where I'd been through two phone interviews, been flown in for an in person, and then didn't hear anything for two weeks, and got the form rejection letter form the HR software. It hurt, not gonna lie.

I had one like that except I paid my own idiot way to the interview. Never doing that again. If you don't want me enough to pay my ticket, either do a Skype interview or cross me off your list.

grnberet2b
Aug 12, 2008

a friendly penguin posted:

For those of you who get to sit on hiring committees, when someone asks you for feedback on how to improve for future interviews, this is an unhelpful answer:

Even if we're perfection personified, there's still a reason you chose someone else, please tell us what it is.

Anyone else get similarly poor feedback? Or for interviewers, is this standard feedback so as to avoid offending anyone?

I just sat on an interview committee for a para position at a 2 year college. I would love to speak each of the candidates who contact us and explain exactly our reasoning for the decision we made for them, but we have been instructed that, now that the interview process is over, we are to defer all inquiries concerning the position to the committee chair, who will most likely defer to HR, who will only state whether or not the position has been filled. I believe the reasoning is that they don't want to be sued for unfair hiring practices, which is odd to me.

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender
Think of it like Glomar response. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glomar_response

If the hiring committee says nothing of substance, then it's impossible to infer anything about the process. If you don't have a hint of what happened in the hiring committee, there's no risk of you being able to prove anything wrong about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

grnberet2b posted:

I just sat on an interview committee for a para position at a 2 year college. I would love to speak each of the candidates who contact us and explain exactly our reasoning for the decision we made for them, but we have been instructed that, now that the interview process is over, we are to defer all inquiries concerning the position to the committee chair, who will most likely defer to HR, who will only state whether or not the position has been filled. I believe the reasoning is that they don't want to be sued for unfair hiring practices, which is odd to me.

It's not odd, it's very similar to being fired. If you tell them nothing it's very hard to get sued because the employee would basically have to prove that it was for an illegal reason, but if you tell them you fired them because they are black it's a slam dunk for any lawyer. It's also possible the truth was "we had a bunch of virtually identical resumes and made the decision on some arbitrary criteria."

e: on the plus side if you are a lovely employee there's very little chance an old employer will tell anyone that for similar reasons.

tsa fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Apr 8, 2015

• Locked thread