Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

sigher posted:

Is there a thread just for eReader chat? I'm getting into reading (I haven't really since high school) and just got a Kindle Oasis and I love it, but it seems really drat small. Are eReader usually this size?

Yes there's a thread:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3366619

As for size, the Oasis is typical but there are certainly larger ones though not from Amazon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

sigher posted:

Is there a thread just for eReader chat? I'm getting into reading (I haven't really since high school) and just got a Kindle Oasis and I love it, but it seems really drat small. Are eReader usually this size?

The Oasis is actually one of the largest storefront based ereader. My kindle is a full inch smaller.

I've never tried it, but I've heard good things about the Note2 for reading PDFs and comics. That's got a huge screen....but it's also 3x the price.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

sigher posted:

The Oasis is bigger than any of the other Kindles. There used to be a 9 inch one called the Kindle DX.

There's some speculation that the new line will include an updated Voyage as well as another large size one.

Unless you're reading textbooks or stuff with diagrams, though, you will not regret the smaller size. Eventually you get used to just.. flipping pages more. The Oasis is as big I can fit in my pockets.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Memento posted:

Sorry to interrupt the current discussion, but does anyone have recommendations for kid-lit books for 8-9 year olds that are currently reading everything they can find and asking to read things off my bookshelf that are way too advanced for them?

Some people recommended the “Wayside” books a little earlier and you can’t really go wrong with Louis Sachar in general. One of the great writers of kid lit. I reread “There’s a Boy in the Girl’s Bathroom” a few weeks back and it was still funny and touching as it was 20 years ago. “Holes” remains one of my favorite books to this day. Heavy subject matter but executed in a flawlessly captivating way.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

TheAardvark posted:

What was y'all's first "adult" book? I was 8 or 9 when I read Call of the Wild because it was on my grandma's bookshelf. I still kept to more age appropriate/YA stuff mostly for a while but it kinda broke the barrier for reading non-children stuff for me.

Frankenstein, some Jules Verne novels and The three musketeers

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

TheAardvark posted:

The Oasis is bigger than any of the other Kindles. There used to be a 9 inch one called the Kindle DX.

There's some speculation that the new line will include an updated Voyage as well as another large size one.

Unless you're reading textbooks or stuff with diagrams, though, you will not regret the smaller size. Eventually you get used to just.. flipping pages more. The Oasis is as big I can fit in my pockets.

The one thing I was kinda looking forward to with my Kindle was to read Sheet Music with it; but that's basically impossible with the size, it wasn't why I got in it the first place but it would have been a nice bonus. I've gotten used to reading books on it just fine and I love the device, it's just a shame sheet music is a no go (some of the sheet music I've bought on Amazon won't even open on the Kindle since it isn't formatted for it). I've looked at eReaders specifically for musicians and the prices are literally insane. I'll just read sheet music on my PC or printed page for now.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

sigher posted:

The one thing I was kinda looking forward to with my Kindle was to read Sheet Music with it; but that's basically impossible with the size, it wasn't why I got in it the first place but it would have been a nice bonus. I've gotten used to reading books on it just fine and I love the device, it's just a shame sheet music is a no go (some of the sheet music I've bought on Amazon won't even open on the Kindle since it isn't formatted for it). I've looked at eReaders specifically for musicians and the prices are literally insane. I'll just read sheet music on my PC or printed page for now.

What about a cheap tablet? The Fire HD 10" is bigger than an ereader and cheap af. Takes a little bit of fuckery to run Google apps (including the app store) but nothing that an hour or so of tweaks won't solve.

E: I feel like an ereader would be a poor solution for sheet music anyway due to its slow page refresh. An 8" or 10" Fire tablet should fit the bill perfectly.

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jul 2, 2020

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

TheAardvark posted:

What was y'all's first "adult" book? I was 8 or 9 when I read Call of the Wild because it was on my grandma's bookshelf. I still kept to more age appropriate/YA stuff mostly for a while but it kinda broke the barrier for reading non-children stuff for me.

That was a long time ago, but the first one I remember was an unabridged copy of The Swiss Family Robinson, which took me a while to get through. I grew up in a house with a lot of books, though, and my memory is notoriously awful, so there's a lot of other possibilities.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

TheAardvark posted:

Something by Jules Verne, around the time I was in first grade. Of course, he's basically considered boy's literature here.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

regulargonzalez posted:

What about a cheap tablet? The Fire HD 10" is bigger than an ereader and cheap af. Takes a little bit of fuckery to run Google apps (including the app store) but nothing that an hour or so of tweaks won't solve.

E: I feel like an ereader would be a poor solution for sheet music anyway due to its slow page refresh. An 8" or 10" Fire tablet should fit the bill perfectly.

I might give this a shot, but after experiencing the eInk of the Oasis it's nice not having a screen to look at while reading.

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit

anilEhilated posted:

Something by Jules Verne, around the time I was in first grade. Of course, he's basically considered boy's literature here.

I would bet that for a lot of people it's something in this category: books written before ~1900 which were written for a general audience but then later became considered children's literature (Robinson Crusoe, Verne, Gulliver's Travels* etc)

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I read Kafka's The Trial when I was around 11-12. I haven't actually read any nominally YA stuff that I can think of. Just went at my parents' books shelves & classic sci-fi from the library.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

cda posted:

I would bet that for a lot of people it's something in this category: books written before ~1900 which were written for a general audience but then later became considered children's literature (Robinson Crusoe, Verne, Gulliver's Travels* etc)

One of the greatest literary tragedies is how Robert Stevenson got pigeonholed as a children's author at some point, and basically disregarded as a "real author" for decades. How is Dr. Jekyll and Mister Hyde or The Bottle Imp a children's story? He did write stuff specifically for children but who hasn't.

e: Reading the entirety of Gulliver's Travels after chancing on a Penguin edition and thinking "huh, weirdly thick" was rather mind-blowing.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
https://twitter.com/alloy_dr/status/1279120868745019392?s=20

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

cda posted:

She's read all the Lumberjanes that have come out so far. I wouldn't say they were her favorites but obviously she enjoyed them enough to keep up with them.

Thanks for the recommendations, I hadn't considered adaptations.

The fact that nobody has said Animorphs is seriously distressing! As those are easily some of the best kid lit books ever.

ruinous orchid
Jun 30, 2020
I’ve never read Finnegans Wake and while I typically read most books on my Kindle now, I get the sense I should read this in ‘actual book’ form. Is there a specific edition/version that is considered the most true to the source?

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

TheAardvark posted:

Probably Eiji Yoshikawa's books about Miyamoto Musashi, I started reading the first one at like 8 or 9 because samurai were cool and finished it probably by the time I was 11, the second one went a bit faster but it was also the last one translated to Swedish so I stopped there. I remember being very annoyed at the characters for doing dumb poo poo to get laid and stuff like that. Maybe I should reread them now and see if I can get ahold of the rest of the books as well. I mostly hear folk talk highly about the manga adaption.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

ruinous orchid posted:

I’ve never read Finnegans Wake and while I typically read most books on my Kindle now, I get the sense I should read this in ‘actual book’ form. Is there a specific edition/version that is considered the most true to the source?
You don't need to worry about that like with Ulysses. The only version with any changes since 1939 is a "restored" edition from 2010 (trade publication in 2012) that's on dubious scholarly ground (I see a lot of comparisons to the Gabler and Rose editions of Ulysses) and apparently isn't too hot as a physical book either.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

At a bookstore in the East:

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

https://twitter.com/hamdesign/status/1280232420588097537

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit

That's cool

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I don't understand it, why are they turning books into blocks?

e: I guess a paperback is cheaper than a block of wood if you don't know a DIY guy who'll give you one for free?

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
They should have used J.K. Rowling books. they could have gone ultra mega viral

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit

Carthag Tuek posted:

I don't understand it, why are they turning books into blocks?

e: I guess a paperback is cheaper than a block of wood if you don't know a DIY guy who'll give you one for free?

If they're like many people they have a whole bunch of books lying around that they either never will read or never will read again.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

ulvir posted:

Frankenstein, some Jules Verne novels and The three musketeers

Loved 3 Musketeers. I read the Peaver translation. It's cool to hate on P&V but just for enjoyment I thought it read well! That swashbuckling young adult adventure type story is totally a fun read.

My first grown up book well probably lord of the rings.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

ruinous orchid posted:

I first heard of Finnegans Wake, I read the Bell Jar in 8th grade for class. Sylvia Plath was trying to read FW in the first chapter, which convinced her that she was insane. That'd be a hell of a book to give to a paranoid schizophrenic. Quite a while back when Abebooks was the cool used book website, I got a first edition Finnegan's Wake. It's got neat glossary in the back that (I think) are missing from later popular printings.
Obviously I never read it. But Joseph Campbell's "skeleton key" would be an interesting resource.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

cda posted:

If they're like many people they have a whole bunch of books lying around that they either never will read or never will read again.

Okay, yeah. I have a ton of paperbacks too, I could see using some for a craft project.

But why are they turning them into blocks. I don't understand what the blocks are

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Carthag Tuek posted:

But why are they turning them into blocks. I don't understand what the blocks are

FASHION

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Post your wanted books list. "Wish List" on Amazon.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I keep waiting, but Facing East from Indian Country never gets cheaper. How can a Kindle edition cost $23???

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I have an Adlibris wish list but there's no way to export it because hell why would anyone ever want to do that?

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

:toot:
Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

:toot:

escape artist posted:

Post your wanted books list. "Wish List" on Amazon.

This sounds like a great way to get doxxed by bored, malicious goons.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
Hey is the place to ask about books? I remember being like 14 and reading about 10 pages of a book about the degradation of bioethics in genetic engineering, with an 18 year old girl selling her oocytes and the government incarcerating people with valuable genetic information. I want to say it was a Michael Crichton book, but it was so long ago I don't remember. Does anyone have any idea what that book might've been?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

If nobody itt knows it, you might try here:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2704537

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

DildenAnders posted:

Hey is the place to ask about books? I remember being like 14 and reading about 10 pages of a book about the degradation of bioethics in genetic engineering, with an 18 year old girl selling her oocytes and the government incarcerating people with valuable genetic information. I want to say it was a Michael Crichton book, but it was so long ago I don't remember. Does anyone have any idea what that book might've been?

Is it the Wind Up Girl ? Your age at the time isn’t too helpful unless we know how old you are now!

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I just finished The Club Dumas and I have a couple nagging questions though if anyone can help

Ending spoilers:

at the end Corso knows that the bookmaker brothers had forged the last illustration, making Borja fail at his summoning. How did he know that had happened, and when and why would they have done that to all three copies? I don’t recall them having any strong feelings about summoning the devil.

Also, if the Club Dumas wanted the Anjou Wine back, couldn’t they just have made LaPorte just ask Corso to give it back? As far as Corso knew it was his property, Corso only had it to research it for him as a favor.

Edited for being dumb

Snowy fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jul 21, 2020

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
I've been reading my tarot before bed. I read the book's interpetations to understand 'the story,' the look at the whole and see where my intuition directs me. I find it therapeutic, and direction giving.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Is there any Western fantasy set in a medieval Europe analogue with knights on horseback and castles and all the usual stuff where people are also eating rice?

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

DildenAnders posted:

Sounds like Next by Crichton.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

sorry I missed Lincoln in the Bardo duing the BotM thread (now archived). This book is gorgeous and I love it, fart and dick jokes inclusive