Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

RadicalTranslation posted:

Currently working through Anthony Trollope's The Warden. I adore his writing style. Does anyone have any other suggestions for authors who write with a similar prose?

If you're reading Trollope I assume you've already read all of Austen? Trollope is at best her apprentice.

Still there are like four or five more Barsetshire books after that and they're all about as good as Warden so just read the rest in sequence and that should keep you busy for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RadicalTranslation
Jan 26, 2021

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

If you're reading Trollope I assume you've already read all of Austen? Trollope is at best her apprentice.

Still there are like four or five more Barsetshire books after that and they're all about as good as Warden so just read the rest in sequence and that should keep you busy for a while.

Aha! You know, I've never read any Austen because my mom as a kid (and still now) harps on and on about her. As a result, I have an image of Austen's books that has been tainted with my hate of historical drama/romance that I had as a kid. Even though I now appreciate both genres, I still associate negative feelings with Austen for no good reason.

Though I do own everything by Austen, and so maybe it's finally time I crack into one. Which would you recommend to start? (I assume not her best because then it's all downhill afterwards)

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Aha! You know, I've never read any Austen because my mom as a kid (and still now) harps on and on about her. As a result, I have an image of Austen's books that has been tainted with my hate of historical drama/romance that I had as a kid. Even though I now appreciate both genres, I still associate negative feelings with Austen for no good reason.

Though I do own everything by Austen, and so maybe it's finally time I crack into one. Which would you recommend to start? (I assume not her best because then it's all downhill afterwards)

Oh, that's a tough call.

Thing is each Austen novel is different. The main thing about Austen is that you need a lot of context to read her, but if you're reading Trollope you have a lot of that context (you know what a "living" is, etc.).

Honestly probably start with Pride and Prejudice and then branch out. It's her most classically romantic but each of her other books is also interesting in some other way (Northanger Abbey is a marvelous send up of gothic novels, etc.)

I did a Let's Read thread of Pride and Prejudice a few years back that I never got around to finishing before it got vault-locked but it should still serve as enough of an "assist" to help you get into the book if you're having trouble:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3662001&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

RadicalTranslation
Jan 26, 2021

Oh, that's a tough call.

Thing is each Austen novel is different. The main thing about Austen is that you need a lot of context to read her, but if you're reading Trollope you have a lot of that context (you know what a "living" is, etc.).

Honestly probably start with Pride and Prejudice and then branch out. It's her most classically romantic but each of her other books is also interesting in some other way (Northanger Abbey is a marvelous send up of gothic novels, etc.)

I did a Let's Read thread of Pride and Prejudice a few years back that I never got around to finishing before it got vault-locked but it should still serve as enough of an "assist" to help you get into the book if you're having trouble:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3662001&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

I think (?) my copies all have notes in the back that tend to fill in background information, so I should be mostly set but will absolutely give this thread a read.

Even with Trollope some stuff is just assumed to be known given the time it was written (e.g. the various church scandals).

Edit: reading through some of the past books of the month and so sad I missed a bunch of them haha. Decameron, Don Quixote, 1491, etc., all marvelous books.

RadicalTranslation fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jan 27, 2021

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Oh, that's a tough call.

serious question: since we are free of the shackles of Lowtax's desire to earn shekels can we revisit the timing of archive vaulting?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Bilirubin posted:

serious question: since we are free of the shackles of Lowtax's desire to earn shekels can we revisit the timing of archive vaulting?

I think that's already happened actually, my robin hood thread lay fallow for like four months.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

I think (?) my copies all have notes in the back that tend to fill in background information, so I should be mostly set but will absolutely give this thread a read.

Even with Trollope some stuff is just assumed to be known given the time it was written (e.g. the various church scandals).

Edit: reading through some of the past books of the month and so sad I missed a bunch of them haha. Decameron, Don Quixote, 1491, etc., all marvelous books.

If the threads are still open feel free to read now and bump em. The whole idea of keeping the list is developing curated reference threads of good poo poo.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Bilirubin posted:

cool now write it off as insulation and start on the next wall

whenever we buy a place instead of rent, I am so going to figure out a way to make an entire wall lined with custom bookshelves

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Started reading a book that, on the back, advertises the photographs of dogs that the author uses to illustrate his points.

There are zero photographs of dogs - or of anything - in the book, I guess because it's a book club edition? :blastu:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Love my parents garbage book club shelves

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Carthag Tuek posted:

Love my parents garbage book club shelves

Book clubs publish a lot of decent stuff, for obvious reasons. Or do you mean the actual shelves are from the book club?

Back in the day when you bought a bookshelf, the books would come with it. Very handy.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I do love them with an honest heart but they're funny

Like they have five books by joseph heller, but not catch-22. Classic book club style

There's a bunch of books that have obviously never been read, the pages are literally uncut

The shelves are 1970s ikea, they're pretty nice

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Carthag Tuek posted:

Like they have five books by joseph heller, but not catch-22. Classic book club style

Why exactly would a book club do that?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Why exactly would a book club do that?

Don't book clubs usually do recent books? So if they joined the book club after Catch-22 came out, they wouldn't get Catch-22

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Gripweed posted:

Don't book clubs usually do recent books? So if they joined the book club after Catch-22 came out, they wouldn't get Catch-22

Oh I see. But all the book clubs I know (so, two) also sold their back catalogue so if you actually gave a poo poo you could order Catch-22.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

The successful books are expensive for the book club so they usually get you all the lesser known works, at least the ones my parents were in.

Or maybe my parent just always only ordered the cheaper ones.

Which is fine tbh, I really like heller and I'm glad that I had access to them

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Carthag Tuek posted:

The successful books are expensive for the book club

All domestic book clubs were owned by publishers so this wasn't an issue.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

3D Megadoodoo posted:

All domestic book clubs were owned by publishers so this wasn't an issue.

The book club part of the company would still have to buy the books from the publishing part of the company.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I guess also they prefer if you buy the missing books separately

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

I thought it was just a joke about Catch-22 being the only good thing Heller wrote.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

For some reason - in addition to Hugh Howey's Shift and Death in the Afternoon - I bought an Agaton Sax novel from the Salvation Army flea market. I remember reading one as a kid and liking it but it's actually pretty boring. Anyway I did some Googling and apparently the books were rather popular in the UK at the time? Seems like the author is really pandering to that audience so makes sense.

Also cool to see the differences in the cover art, as always.

Original Sax:

British Sax:

Finnish Sax:

(Not the same novel.) Anyway, buying kids' books as an adult with no kids is stupid, way to go dumb-rear end me.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
https://twitter.com/alloy_dr/status/1356387807443431425?s=20

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

When I was a kid our living-room bookcase had two books in it that fascinated me because they had Disney characters on the covers. The one I actually read (and didn't really understand at the time) was Para leer al Pato Donald, the other I only read a few years ago; it was Urie Bronfenbrenner's Two Worlds of Childhood: US and USSR, which is actually also interesting.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
What’s y’all’s opinions on Bukowski?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Modest Mouse - Bukowski posted:

... Bukowski.
And yeah, I know he's a pretty good read.
But God who'd want to be?
God who'd want to be such an rear end in a top hat?

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

I like him, but yeah, he's definitely not a role model, he is a massive rear end in a top hat. his poetry (can be extremely misogynistic and bad) is sometimes really powerfully emotive in my humble opinion.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Sandwolf posted:

I like him, but yeah, he's definitely not a role model, he is a massive rear end in a top hat. his poetry (can be extremely misogynistic and bad) is sometimes really powerfully emotive in my humble opinion.
pretty much this

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Sandwolf posted:

My wife likes that kind of writer, so I was thinking of getting him one of Bukowski's books. Would you have any recommendation for a first time Bukowski read?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Still the best opinion of Bukowski

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Mordiceius posted:

My wife likes that kind of writer, so I was thinking of getting him one of Bukowski's books. Would you have any recommendation for a first time Bukowski read?

Post Office

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Mordiceius posted:

I haven’t read any of his fiction and honestly I’m afraid to, but Love Is A Dog From Hell is a poetry collection with a romantic bend that I enjoyed? It’s still pretty hit or miss but when it hits it hits well.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Sandwolf posted:

I haven’t read any of his fiction and honestly I’m afraid to, but Love Is A Dog From Hell is a poetry collection with a romantic bend that I enjoyed? It’s still pretty hit or miss but when it hits it hits well.

Ooh, I'll check that out. I think I am looking for poetry right now.

Post Office sounds good, but I don't know if she'd want to dive straight into a novel or stick to bits poetry currently.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I thought you were looking for a novel for some reason but if his poetry is an option, yes, go for that. It's all a better intro to Bukowski than any of the novels, even the mediocre stuff.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Mordiceius posted:

What’s y’all’s opinions on Bukowski?

I think people go through at least 3 phases.

1. Holy poo poo, Bukowski is a genius! Being a drunk is so romantic!

2. Overrated, mediocre prose written by a wino (which is not glamorous AT ALL).

3. An amazing view into a lifestyle I'll never experience, akin to Emile Zola. Given where he was at in life, the prose is better than it has any right to be.

Post Office is legitimately great with scenes that made me literally laugh out loud and one that I still think about every month or two (where he lets the birds out of the cage and one can't decide whether to fly away).

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Feb 4, 2021

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Women maybe

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

bowmore posted:

Women maybe

Women is even more misogynistic than his other works. I say go straight to the source and just read Fante

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

Women is even more misogynistic than his other works. I say go straight to the source and just read Fante
yeah, but it’s clear when reading it that he is a massive pos

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Man, Death in the Afternoon just makes Hemingway look like a complete rear end. I bet he would've been into My Little Pony and Reddit had he been born in the 1970s. "You have to have a high IQ to understand Rick & Morty" - -=#ERNEST42069[BTC]#=-

e: My only experience with Bukowski is that my older brother has bought all his novels several times over because people keep borrowing them and not giving them back. I guess that says more about Bukowski readers than the author himself :shrug:

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I think Factotum is maybe a better intro than Post Office. It's more episodic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

3D Megadoodoo posted:

e: My only experience with Bukowski is that my older brother has bought all his novels several times over because people keep borrowing them and not giving them back. I guess that says more about Bukowski readers than the author himself :shrug:

I don't have any Bukowski, but I've just come to expect that no one ever returns books they borrow. I never loan a book I expect to see again. Maybe I just have lovely friends though :shrug: