Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

I interviewed for an editorial position with one of the largest Croatian book publishers. They wanted to know two things, how I felt about cookbooks and what were my favorite romance novels. I didnít get the job.
One of the weird quirks of the local market is, the Ministry of Culture subsidizes new literary translations and that makes them just about profitable with the minuscule print runs. So everything new and interesting gets translated immediately, but god forbid you should want to read a classic or a forty year old title, better hope the library still hasnít scrapped the 1985 Yugoslav edition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

- Ska du ha maito i kaffet?

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

I interviewed for an editorial position with one of the largest Croatian book publishers. They wanted to know two things, how I felt about cookbooks and what were my favorite romance novels. I didnít get the job.
One of the weird quirks of the local market is, the Ministry of Culture subsidizes new literary translations and that makes them just about profitable with the minuscule print runs. So everything new and interesting gets translated immediately, but god forbid you should want to read a classic or a forty year old title, better hope the library still hasnít scrapped the 1985 Yugoslav edition.

The one weird trick discovered by local publisher (WS Bookwell hates them!) here seems to be "print in the Baltics" because it's in the EU, it's cheap (I guess they don't have unions or something?), and while it's across the sea, it's not a long way across the sea. Also quite a bit of subsidies and grants.

We also have three or four pretty well-working on-line second-hand book shopping sites (which, while it makes it marginally slower to find a certain book because you have to check several sites, is preferable to just having One On-Line Book Store). A lot of the sellers on the sites are on-line only which makes sense nowadays. I hear a certain foreign entity has been expressing great interest in acquiring the business of these sites. But anyway for a reader it's dead easy to find older books, often for quite cheap.

e: But yeah if you don't do cook books, you'd better have a really strong hand otherwise.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Apr 12, 2021

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

One publisher started out with yoga books and has continued with that and other "rip off the dumbs" books but also publishes nice translations of solid classics. I'd bet the former bring in the money.

Basam? I was baffled to see they've put out the first finnish translation of the book of disquiet

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ras Het posted:

Basam? I was baffled to see they've put out the first finnish translation of the book of disquiet

Yeah. They also published Bartleby & Co. which is still available new for the high price of 2Ä - I guess it failed to find a Finnish audience.

e: I actually almost bought O Banqueiro Anarquista last time I was at a book shop but it was 15Ä and because I'm poor I bought three 5Ä books instead.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Apr 12, 2021

Rand Brittain
Mar 24, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

The next question is "why do booksellers insist on taking an order of fifteen books and mailing each one of them separately, how is that efficient?".

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

I just started reading Love in the Time of Cholera. 17 pages in. I know nothing about this book other than itís very well regarded.

First impressions - this guy knows how to write. Itís good, folks. Real good.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Rand Brittain posted:

The next question is "why do booksellers insist on taking an order of fifteen books and mailing each one of them separately, how is that efficient?".

IDK, never had that happen. But in general - i.e. not just with books - the answer is "logistics costs vs. logistics".

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

i am a dragon

Lucas Archer posted:

I just started reading Love in the Time of Cholera. 17 pages in. I know nothing about this book other than itís very well regarded.

First impressions - this guy knows how to write. Itís good, folks. Real good.

You're in for a treat

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Today I noticed belatedly that The Count of Monte Cristo got a release in the standardebooks package - beautifully put together ebooks that you can slap on your ereader and enjoy.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Today I noticed belatedly that The Count of Monte Cristo got a release in the standardebooks package - beautifully put together ebooks that you can slap on your ereader and enjoy.

Public domain versions of Count of Monte Cristo are heavily edited, both for length and content (can't scandalize Victorian Englishmen with lesbians after all). I think there are whole chapters missing in addition to pieces of chapters being cut.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Humerus posted:

Public domain versions of Count of Monte Cristo are heavily edited, both for length and content (can't scandalize Victorian Englishmen with lesbians after all). I think there are whole chapters missing in addition to pieces of chapters being cut.

Which publication of the Count would you recommend?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

I believe the only good translation in English is the modern Penguin one.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I believe the only good translation in English is the modern Penguin one.

Yeah this is the one I bought and from everything I've seen it's the only truly unabridged version.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002RI9KL8/

For reference

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Thank you!

Raudedauden
Jun 18, 2005

I have the 2008 Oxford World Classic David Coward translation of The Count of Monte Cristo and it is also unabridged.

(https://www.chapters.indigo.ca/en-ca/books/the-count-of-monte-cristo/9780199219650-item.html)

Apparently the language used in this version is modelled after older translations but I am quite enjoying it. It is probably one of my favourite books.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

Finished the first chapter(?) of Love in the Time of Cholera.

Dr. Urbino's death was nicely foreshadowed in the story about the parrot so I was waiting for it to come back around soon - and I feel like it was hinted at a second time beforehand as well. The entire day seemed incredibly laden with dread, from Jeremiah's letter causing such distress, to Fermina's introduction and the amazingly complicated way she and Urbino interact, to the two events of the day absolutely ruined by rain. The parrot story is, by far, my favorite part of the book so far.

The language is absolutely beautiful and I keep find myself re-reading sentences or paragraphs, trying to work out how he did this or that or conveyed emotions or actions in such a natural way that always feels so creaky and stilted when I write.

Aardvark!
Mar 3, 2002

Heads up for Kindle users - the "Book Cover as Lockscreen" feature has started getting pushed in the U.S., Canada, E.U. and more.

Weird having them finally implement it after all these years.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire

Aardvark! posted:

Heads up for Kindle users - the "Book Cover as Lockscreen" feature has started getting pushed in the U.S., Canada, E.U. and more.

Weird having them finally implement it after all these years.

I would ask how you get it, but I've gotten kind of used to the "Her Billionaire Cowboy Birthday Wish"-style lock screens, they're pretty great

Aardvark!
Mar 3, 2002

Chamberk posted:

I would ask how you get it, but I've gotten kind of used to the "Her Billionaire Cowboy Birthday Wish"-style lock screens, they're pretty great

I've never actually seen those since I haven't ever used an ad supported Kindle. Presumably you'd have to pay the remove ads fee

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Just finished the Seventh Cross and oh my god do I not loving care about Ernst the Shepherd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

News of the
Clown Crew
On the Move

I don't know if this is the place to ask, please excuse me if it's not. Is there a way to buy another region's version of an audiobook online? Becky Chambers' new book is out in the US, but apparently the versions of her previous books that I got, narrated by Patricia Rodriguez, are UK/Canada versions, and they're region locked now or something. I get that there are distribution restrictions that stores have to follow, I just would like to stick with the same narrator if possible.