Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
What are EU people's non-Amazon options now? I used Wordery but they stopped delivering outside the UK after brexit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
American eBay hasn't let me down for secondhand books, and I presume European eBay is comparable. For new books, I like to order directly from the publisher's site, which also probably works just as well in Europe.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ras Het posted:

What are EU people's non-Amazon options now? I used Wordery but they stopped delivering outside the UK after brexit

Antikka.net, antikvaari.fi, kirjapino.fi, and finlandiakirja.fi :D

Oh and adlibris.com, but it's kind of poo poo.

E: clicked on a link for a bookshop I'd never heard about, saw that it had a separate section for "profane books", and noped the gently caress out when I realized what that meant.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 01:52 on May 10, 2021

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Can anyone recommend a small business book store with a robust website I could use to order books from instead of Amazon? If not, I'd settle for an affiliate amazon link. In the South, maybe New Orleans or Mobile, would be ideal, but otherwise anywhere in the USA is fine. I already googled my area and the only private book store I know of doesn't have a web site. I asked my irl friends and we've all just bought books on Amazon for decades, oops.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Jack B Nimble posted:

Can anyone recommend a small business book store with a robust website I could use to order books from instead of Amazon? If not, I'd settle for an affiliate amazon link. In the South, maybe New Orleans or Mobile, would be ideal, but otherwise anywhere in the USA is fine. I already googled my area and the only private book store I know of doesn't have a web site. I asked my irl friends and we've all just bought books on Amazon for decades, oops.

BetterWorldBooks and HalfPriceBooks are my go-to sites. BookShop.org may have a local offering near you, but I haven’t found it helpful for my city.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Jack B Nimble posted:

Depending on your definition of "small" (they have several storefronts/warehouses locally but they're not, like, Barnes & Noble) Powells.com has a good online store.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Jack B Nimble posted:

https://www.indiebound.org/

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Garth Marenghi makes a good point:

https://twitter.com/MrHolness/status/1392876751924219910?s=20

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Tbh, there are maybe 5 good book covers in the history of publishing. They are worse than film posters, which are already almost universally poo poo

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Neil Gaiman has actually recently paid Robert McGinnis, a classic illustrator of this type of pulp covers who's now 95(!!!) years old, to paint covers for all of his books. They're pretty dope.

More here:

https://neil-gaiman.tumblr.com/tagged/robert-mcginnis

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Carthag Tuek posted:

Tbh, there are maybe 5 good book covers in the history of publishing. They are worse than film posters, which are already almost universally poo poo

Have you ever even seen a book?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Have you ever even seen a book?

I have seen the book club bookshelves that my parents have

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Carthag Tuek posted:

I have seen the book club bookshelves that my parents have

Other books are available.

e: Here, for instance - now this is art:

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 01:30 on May 14, 2021

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
I was pitched by a friend to use the Biblio.com. Website, which is basically exactly Abebooks model, but (afaik) not (yet) owned by Amazon.

Other than that, I use Powell's for any non-sf books, and my hometown's SF bookstore Dreamhaven books for horror/scifi. They also have a bitching collection of vintage smut. Lots of 'She was a bad girl...' sorts of stuff, which sadly is expensive and collectible. Makes for great gifts though...
The Tenement Kid

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
The book cover as lock screen feature on Kindle has finished rolling out today, any remotely recent device should see it under device options after a restart while connected to the internet.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Aardvark! posted:

The book cover as lock screen feature on Kindle has finished rolling out today, any remotely recent device should see it under device options after a restart while connected to the internet.

Ayyyy. I've been waiting for this since I saw it on the Kindle subreddit like a month ago. Figures I'd check it a few times today and then find out about it coming here.

The staggered rollout for such a seemingly simple thing seems really odd.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
https://twitter.com/DreadCentral/status/1396243543845396482?s=20

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
I'm reading Empire of Pain right now, about the Sackler family and the Oxy crisis they started, and it's really good, very Godfather in a way -- an immigrant patriarch comes to America and makes a name for his family in the 1920's through hard work, only to see his descendants ruin it through ambition and cruelty. The research is deep and the prose is straight-forward in a way I wish fiction writers would take up. I'd be happy to make a thread about if there's enough interest.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Does anyone know a book about the Yugoslavian experience in WW2 that is not written by a British person, that does not have some particular stance to it??

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
All British history writers are bad and should be thrown in a volcano, even the "good" ones

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

All British history writers are bad and should be thrown in a volcano, even the "good" ones

I started reading a British (cultural) history book that was published to coincide with a BBC television series, and it pretty much started like this:
Book: See these African statues?
Me: Yeah yeah they're cool tell me about them!
Book: I think we can all agree that they are literally poo poo that came out of someone's bumhole, when compared to European art!
Me: Wät?

e: I think it was Kenneth Clark's Civilization, but possibly not.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jun 1, 2021

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Hey someone somewhere (possibly ITT) said that 2010 was more a sequel to 2001 the movie than the novel. Is this true? Because I have 2010 and I've only seen the movie so that would be perfect.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Hey someone somewhere (possibly ITT) said that 2010 was more a sequel to 2001 the movie than the novel. Is this true? Because I have 2010 and I've only seen the movie so that would be perfect.

Yes, in the book 2001 they go to Saturn instead of Jupiter, but in 2010 it’s Jupiter like the movie. I think Clarke said that each Odyssey book was really its own continuity and not strictly connected to the others.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Action Jacktion posted:

Yes, in the book 2001 they go to Saturn instead of Jupiter, but in 2010 it’s Jupiter like the movie. I think Clarke said that each Odyssey book was really its own continuity and not strictly connected to the others.

OK, cool.

Currently I'm lmaoing at how really loving awkward Cradle is. I'm really hoping that's Lee's doing not Clarke's. After I finish that and 2010, I'll only have one more science-fiction book left to read (Dune Part II).

e: Also the cover is way cool:

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

It's practically stand alone and only somewhat a sequel. The feel and aesthetic is worlds apart from 2001, especially the movie version of 2001. It's very straightforward and safe, albeit still very good -- a solid but forgettable 3 out of 4 star sci fi flick. But hell, s3e08 of Twin Peaks feels more like a 2001 sequel then does 2010.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

:can:

e: OK Cradle was way creepy, and the creepy bits weren't even interesting. Or relevant in any way. Beginning to see why my sister discarded it.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jun 3, 2021

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
https://twitter.com/alloy_dr/status/1401335814257250309?s=20

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLUdKoCganU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I've been meaning to get the Penguin clothbound of this one as part of my "let's own a copy of every book we ever really enjoyed and get rid of the others" initiative.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Which one of you recommended the novel Wanderers by Chuck Wendig? I know for a fact it was someone on this message board who told me to read it. I'm 9% of the way through and this is just terrible. I paid money for this book! I mean I'm still going to read the whole thing, I just want to warn people away from it.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
I was reading about the lawsuit between Tom Clancy's widows, and they very first thing that seemed strange to me was that Clancy transferred the rights for The Hunt for Red October to the US Naval Institute in 1984.

Apparently there was another author (Stephen Coonts) who did the same and also had to enter into mediation with the USNI to get his rights back.

Has Clancy ever said why he gave them the rights in the first place?

I can't find anything on this because all of the search results are about later rights issues over the Jack Ryan character separately, and about the fight between the widows.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Which one of you recommended the novel Wanderers by Chuck Wendig? I know for a fact it was someone on this message board who told me to read it. I'm 9% of the way through and this is just terrible. I paid money for this book! I mean I'm still going to read the whole thing, I just want to warn people away from it.
Searching "wendig" and "wanderers" in TBB pulls up only this post in the Stephen King thread.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I'm 4ecd3dq reading horror novellas and they're all just making me chuckle at best. I guess the lovely fever I got from the jab might be to blame.eb

E: ok I'm pretty sure a storyl about a guy whose ex-wife finds out he thinks he's dating Kylie Minogue, and in the end it's revealed he's dating Kylie Minogue, isn't actually horror, and the book is just mislabelled.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jun 9, 2021

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
https://twitter.com/nataliesurely/status/1405960843481726978?s=20

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Just read one of the shortest novellas I've encountered outside of Örkeny, and it amused me for some reason:

quote:

Mutiny of the Carpets

One morning people didn't wake up anymore. The carpets had united in revolt during the night, and smothered all humans.

Only a small boy, who lived on a remote alleyway in Hokkaido... No, he was actually also dead.

(Bagge, Tapani. Hukkareissu. Turku: Turbator 2013. [Translation mine])

e: I've been reading a lot more novellas this year than ever before, really. Fits my "be reading five books at all times" technique.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jun 20, 2021

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Some of those books are great, especially the biographies.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

How bad? The premise sounds close Stephen King's The Stand.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Started reading The Clan of the Cave Bear and boy does the whole ancestral memory thing sound stupid as gently caress. How did this become a best-seller series?

e: Oh gently caress Auel's into phrenology big time stylee lmao.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jun 24, 2021

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Started reading The Clan of the Cave Bear and boy does the whole ancestral memory thing sound stupid as gently caress. How did this become a best-seller series?

e: Oh gently caress Auel's into phrenology big time stylee lmao.

I think mostly it ws the (relatively ) graphic sex scenes, though I haven't read it since I was like 13.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I think mostly it ws the (relatively ) graphic sex scenes, though I haven't read it since I was like 13.

Oh, poo poo, haven't got to any caveman sex scenes yet. I will probably hate them. I'm only in like chapter four in the first book and I already kinda prejudiciously loathe the whole series :newlol: