Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Why was the J-F Bibeau thread gassed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

barkingclam posted:

Jonathan Franzen

Over my dead body! But seriously, my hatred for Franzen aside, I think that we can't even try to guess what will be considered a classic from our time. Probably something that has had commercial success but little critical acclaim. Think shopaholic and that kind of crap. It usually happens like that - most of the 19th century classics were their equivalent of soap operas at the time they were published.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

thegloaming posted:

Is there a decent sci-fi series (or single book) with multiple well-developed fictional religions?

(sci-fi noob)

Hyperion by Dan Simmons. Religions, cults, mystical orders, popes all the way through the four books in the series.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

hobbez posted:

True enough. Anyone here read V? Might be next on the list. I miss my postmodern dudes, and I shouldn't reread Infinite Jest for a few years. For my health you know.

My favorite Pynchon book. All the usual stuff: very funny, lots of grotesque bits, silly character names, obscure references. One barely compehensible chapter written from a deranged character's viewpoint.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Joramun posted:

I'd say that's Melville or Twain.

Twain, quite likely. Melville, no. At least not worldwide. I'd only heard of Melville in high school and was already familiar with Twain and Poe at the time. I'm not American and it's anecdotal evidence but I think it's correct.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Iced Cocoa posted:

I have a Kindle, but at the moment I'm really not going to buy any books for it since I need to save up for major Christmas purchases. But I'm aware of the fact that there are several free books. Now I'm trying to figure out if there are any free classic books, old sci-fi and that. I managed to get Journey to the Centre of the Earth and The Lost World on the kindle, but where else can I get more books that are legally free?

And to just make it more complicated, I'm not American, so Amazon.com really closes the doors on that.

Any directory of free classic literature open for Europeans somewhere?

Baen free library offers decent sci-fi fare free od charge. Project Gutenberg has some classic sci-fi titles available. Download Calibre to convert other formats to Kindle compatible mobi.

E:fb

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Eight Is Legend posted:

At what point does 2666 start to pick up the pace? It's well-written and it is a big book, but I'm at page 135 now and I kinda feel like the story should start to be going somewhere soon.

Things really pick up after the part about the critics ends. That's probably something like 20-30 pages further from the spot you're at.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Soundtrack To Mary posted:

I just skimmed through the Reading Challenge thread, and I saw that most people are shooting for between thirty and sixty books this year.

I mean...gently caress.

If I'm diligent, I can maybe get through 5-7 books in a year. Last year, I think I only got through 2. So, am I the one w/ the problem, or are they just completely insane/unemployed?

I missed my goal of 52 by four books last year. I have a demanding job, two kids and several hobbies. For me, the trick is to read at least a few pages before passing out at night. I barely watch any TV, though.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Howard Phillips posted:

What are the best books on russian revolution, biographies of stalin, lenin, and trotsky?

Preferably I'd like to read a survey of the revolution then a biography on at least stalin and lenin.

A People's Tragedy by Orlando Figes is the best book on Russian revolution there is. Isaac Deutscher wrote the best biography of Trotsky and a very good one of Stalin.

E:Sebag Montefiore wrote two books about Stalin that are very enjoyable.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

So what if your pizza place doesn't own a microtome?

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Is getting Infinite Jest on Kindle a bad idea? Would it be unreadable, with all the annotations or whatever?

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Mr. Squishy posted:

More readable as they're hyperlinked.

Thanks, it's quite neat.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

I read a lot of non-fic, and any book that is critical of, say, an Arab country or Islam will have a ton of one star reviews by dudes with names written in arabic script. Works for any other religion/ideology too.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

quote:

Ugh. Tried again. Guess it's genuine. Sorry, but I can't stand to read Navokov. Sad, as I like the classicists.
- from one of the one star reviews of Pale Fire.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

quote:

This book is bloated old piece of crap. How this even got published in the first place is beyond me, much less how it has been considered a 'classic' for years.

I had read that this was 1400 pages of Tolstoy giving his readers a dry, boring recount of the French invasion of Russia but I didn't believe it. I wish I had believed it. Not only is War and Peace a sleep-inducing lecture on way too many perspectives of this war, it also comes complete with Tolstoy's never-ending butt-in chapters that he uses to force his opinion on us of France, Napoleon, Alexander, Russia itself, religion, politics, love, family, and anything else that apparently came to his mind.

This was worse than a textbook. This was a textbook that came with the annoying, opinionated professor built in! The only slightly interesting parts of this book were the lives of Natasha and Ellen and that only accounts for maybe 15% of the total. This book is so bad it has two epilogues. That right there should be warning enough to you to stay far, far away from War and Peace. Don't be as dumb as me.

I wish I had never picked this up. I am an angrier, more cynical person for it. If Tolstoy wasn't already dead, I would wish him so.

quote:

The Odyssey was better than the Iliad, maybe 2 stars.

This is awesome, I am really enjoying the reviews.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

I use it to log the books I've read and to mark the ones I want to read. It's not bad for that. Also, a lot of goons up there, and a somewhat decent system of recommendations based on your shelves or genre preferences.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Casimir Radon posted:

Islam, Biblical Minimalism, Azerbaijan. All really polarizing topics if you read Amazon reviews.

I had no idea Biblical Minimalism was a thing, and now I'm hooked. Any book recommendations?

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Professor Shark posted:

Is there a thread here for the Aubrey-Maturin series?

Yes, a bit further down, inactive since March. Can't link it for you because I'm posting via the app at the moment.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Hedrigall posted:

I'm getting depressed by reading all the comments online about the actress playing Hermione Granger in the new stage play :smith:

I guess she's some sort of a... black mage :rimshot:

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2016/07/14/world/europe/ap-eu-hungary-obit-esterhazy.html?_r=0

RIP Peter Esterhazy. Maybe your death will make me read one of your critically acclaimed books.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

blue squares posted:

I'm getting frustrated as I try to decide what to read between the three books I'm agonizing over. Alive, the story of the soccer team that crashed in the Andes; In the Garden of Beasts, Larsen's book about Nazi Germany; and The Looming Tower, Lawrence Wright's Pulitzer winner that documents the rise of Al-Qaeda and the attack on Sept. 11.

The Looming Tower is probably the best non-fic I've read during the last few years, comparable only to Wright's Scientology book. I'd go with that one.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Another sort of: The Prague Cemetery by Umberto Eco. Although, the protagonist might not be aware he had sinned.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Middlesex and every novel Franzen ever wrote are also crap. That list is crap. Gilead is cool, though.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Hedrigall posted:

I want to see a "best moving pictures of the 20th century" list made in 1916.

We didn't invent writing in 1990, though.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

So dare is in TBB now? Great.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

I'm certain ICP will be awarded the Nobel prize for physics for their revolutionary work in magnetism.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Well, my absolute hero is Townes Van Zandt. Townes Van Zandt is so good Steve Earle named his son after him and also gave the world this quote “Townes Van Zandt is the best songwriter in the whole world and I’ll stand on Bob Dylan‘s coffee table in my cowboy boots and say that.”

You have good taste. You are also probably prone to depression, but so am I. God, Tecumseh Valley, that has to be the bleakest song ever written, but I just can't get enough of it.

I thought this quote would be relevant to the discussion:

Wikipedia posted:

According to Susanna Clark, Van Zandt turned down repeated invitations to write with Bob Dylan.[27] Dylan was reportedly a "big fan" of Townes and claimed to have all of his records; Van Zandt admired Dylan's songs, but didn't care for his celebrity.[27] The two first met during a chance encounter outside a costume shop in the South Congress district of Austin, on June 21, 1986.[27] According to Johnny Guess, Dylan later arranged another meeting with the songwriter. The Drag in Austin was shut down due to Dylan being in town; Van Zandt drove his motorhome to the cordoned-off area, after which Dylan boarded the vehicle and requested to hear him play several songs.

Take the plunge! Okay! fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Oct 13, 2016

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I read all of Jack McDevitt's Alex Benedict books, and all the Long Earth books, and now I'm starting on The Expanse. Are they a good addition to my downward spiral of series binges?

They are rather readable and the plot keeps moving forward in every chapter. Some people dislike the genre hopping (book four is pretty much a western in space) and there is no depth, characterization nor elegant prose but if you could handle McDevitt, you'll be fine.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Mods pls namechange to "frilly elf fiasco"

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

I have a couple of suggestions:

Popular Hits of the Showa Era by Ryu Murakami, because it's about the weirdest gang war ever.

Caribou Island by David Vann, because it's been sitting on my shelf for some time now and that one dude has been yelling at everyone to read David Vann since at least 2012.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Enfys posted:

Never change, Goodreads.

Am I imagining this, or did a writer send an irate reader a page full of commas and told him to apply them as desired?

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

I'm used to it now, but that was one weird transition. Being able to pull a word from dictionary by touching it mitigates the lack of buttons up to a point.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Number Ten Cocks got perma'd LMAO

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Who cares, read Javier Marías anyway

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

What does this forum think of Barbara Tuchman? I got Guns of August as a Christmas gift amongst other things and I want to hear what goons think of it.

I once got yelled at by a mod for recommending Tuchman’s A Distant Mirror as an overview of medieval life since it was about a rich white dude. Me insisting that we don’t really have many sources about how poor women of color lived in the Middle Ages to write books from didn’t go down that well either. Thanks for reading my story about a Dutch Marxist moderator of the Something Awful forums.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

I'm not quite sure how to take this, because H. Alloy is the only mod in The Book Barn and they're a cool person.

It was a long time ago, the mod was a dude who used to mod GBS I think. He later got doxed and his nudes were posted in Helldump. I can’t remember his name.

And yes, H Alloy is a chill person.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

cloudchamber posted:

That's Mccaine. Posted a ton back when LF was still around.

Yes, thank you!

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Ulio posted:

Ya thanks I saw the comparision chart on Amazon and seems like your right. Kindle Paperweight seems the most standard version. Is the regular Kindle just bad? It shows it has worse resolution and no built in light/led.

Also is Amazon Prime worth it? It says you have a thousand free books monthly if you get it are those good books generally speaking? I might get Prime anyway because the video service has some shows I want so this would kill two birds with 1 stone.

The inbuilt light is worth the price difference

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Jazz Marimba posted:

I didn't see a thread for it, so can I ask here or is there a better place? I read a short work of fiction that was probably online and I can't find it anywhere and was hoping for help

There is an identify this book/story thread around these parts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Hold a nazi rally reenactment and burn all the books in a big pyre