Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
I just started reading Love in the Time of Cholera. 17 pages in. I know nothing about this book other than it’s very well regarded.

First impressions - this guy knows how to write. It’s good, folks. Real good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
Finished the first chapter(?) of Love in the Time of Cholera.

Dr. Urbino's death was nicely foreshadowed in the story about the parrot so I was waiting for it to come back around soon - and I feel like it was hinted at a second time beforehand as well. The entire day seemed incredibly laden with dread, from Jeremiah's letter causing such distress, to Fermina's introduction and the amazingly complicated way she and Urbino interact, to the two events of the day absolutely ruined by rain. The parrot story is, by far, my favorite part of the book so far.

The language is absolutely beautiful and I keep find myself re-reading sentences or paragraphs, trying to work out how he did this or that or conveyed emotions or actions in such a natural way that always feels so creaky and stilted when I write.