Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Speaking of Zelazny, I recently discovered that I own a signed paperback copy of Nine Princes in Amber (hooray used books!). But because I am a horrible person with negative dollars in my bank account, I want to look into selling it. Does anyone know how to find what the average price of such a thing would be? I trolled ebay for a bit but the price range was just ridiculous.

I hope it is okay if I ask this here!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

That's about what I figured. My friend is a huge Zelazny fan and offered to buy it immediately, so I didn't want to be a jerk and ask for a stupid amount of money. Thanks, though!

It was still a pretty cool thing to find. :)

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

A lot of people post their goodreads accounts in the 52 books a year thread, so you might just look there.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

7So, after seeing people here recommend Connie Willis' To Say Nothing of the Dog, I picked it up recently. I'm only about 200 pages into it so far, but I love it. It just hits all the right notes for me somehow, especially how likeable and charmingly incompetent the narrator is.

Is Willis' Doomsday Book a good place to go after here? What about any of her other works? I'd also love recommendations for any other similar authors. Thanks!

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

PatMarshall posted:

Well, Doomsday Book is good, but it is also a lot bleaker, not really funny like To Say Nothing. . .
Ms. Willis recently published a two volume novel set in the same universe, but with everyone travelling back to London in the blitz: Blackout and All Clear. They were enjoyable, but I found Willis' sanctimonious tone a little nauseating in places.
I think her best work is actually in her short stories, see if you can find Fire Watch, I thought it was very good.
If you want more comedy in the Victorian vein, check out Three Men in a Boat, the book that inspired To Say Nothing of the Dog.

Thanks! Also, I only just realized I posted this in the completely wrong thread. Whoops :blush:

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Hey questions thread, I'm trying to find out whether or not an English version of the book Raketensklaven: Deutsche Forscher hinter rotem Stacheldraht by Kurt Magnus exists. I doubt it since I haven't been able to find anything, but the book is also obscure and I don't speak German so I figured it would be worth double checking. Help me, thread, you're my only hope!

Radio! fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jun 25, 2013

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

So there's no BB mod right now.

quick let's talk about movies or something

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

A Clockwork Orange would probably be just as good as/maybe better than the book if only it had the right ending instead of the cut off one.

DirtyRobot posted:

Ones where I've read or seen both but can't honestly choose:

- Blade Runner

Personally I think the film Blade Runner is way better than the book. The film's story is much more streamlined and there is just no way to compete with how loving gorgeous it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Sappo569 posted:

So I've been trying to find an EBook copy of Master and Commander by Patrick O'Brian

B&N , Kobo, Amazon, etc... all list the ebook as "unavailable"

Did something happen to cause all the major sites to take down their EBook copy?

If anyone can steer me to the right place to purchase it it would be great!

Are you outside the US or something? I just checked Amazon and the kindle version is available.