Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grushenka
Jan 4, 2009
I don't like Waterstones much either. I did like Borders a lot, the one on the high street in Leeds had a really nice selection, which meant I cleaned up nicely when it went out of business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grushenka
Jan 4, 2009

Gravy Jones posted:

I miss my Borders so much. Whenever I had a day of work I used to go there and chill for an hour or so, after dropping my kid off at daycare, before getting on with whatever I was having a day off for.

A combination of an eReader and Amazon Prime means I rarely bought anything though. So it's kind of hypocritical for me to complain about it going belly up.

It really was a good place to chill out, even back home in the States. They aren't doing so well over there either. I had a credit card through Borders, and they canceled the program because they'll probably go belly-up in the US soon, I guess.

Grushenka
Jan 4, 2009
WHSmith is confusing to me, as an American. What sort of bookshop sells ready made sandwiches? However, it's the only place to pick up a decent magazine at the train station. I've got too many copies of BBC History magazine now.

Used bookstores are the way of the future. Oxfam books in Headingley is claiming much of my stipend right now.

Grushenka
Jan 4, 2009
That's the problem--in my neighborhood Oxfam Books is the only decent used bookstore, the only place that has anything of quality. There's some stuff in the city centre that isn't Oxfam, I'll go check them out.

I had no idea that Oxfam creates such a weird situation, I'll definitely keep that in mind.

Grushenka
Jan 4, 2009

Facial Fracture posted:

There are a number of independent bookstores in my neighbourhood (which is in Canada) that sell both used and new books, usually with the new displayed near the front and the used filling the remaining space. They tend to buy their used books selectively, so there are lots of little-worn student cast-offs etc. I imagine they do well because people like me come in to browse the used books and end up buying a new one or two while we're there.

Do your chain bookstores in England at least mainly stock books? The last large chain store I went to had at least 20-30% of its floor space devoted to gift-wrap, plush toys, chocolates, plant pots, I don't know what else. I suppose I deserved what I got for going into a bookstore across the parking lot from a mall-sized Walmart, but still.

Depends. Places like Borders, just like in the States, had a big section for chocolate, stationery, cutesy little tchotchkes, things like that. WHSmith even sells sandwiches, art supplies, and board games in some of their stores. Waterstone's here just has a few things and of course a coffee shop.

Grushenka
Jan 4, 2009
I used to be really bad and dog-ear pages. I don't anymore, I just use scrap paper, but I still have old books with bent little corners.

I dunno why people pay for bookmarks, or make fancy ones. I really don't get it.

Grushenka
Jan 4, 2009
I carry about six or seven thick books (all hardcovers) with me on a regular basis. The joys of being a postgrad :) I finally gave up on getting them all in my handbag, now I just wear a backpack everywhere like a little schoolgirl.

Grushenka
Jan 4, 2009
I just finished J.M. Coetzee's The Master of Petersburg and while it was very well written (except for the horribly strained dialogue here and there), I cannot help but feel that I just read 250 pages of rather eloquent and well-researched Alternative Universe Dostoevsky fan fiction.

Feel free to tell me that I'm a horrible plebe. It wasn't bad--on the whole I liked it--but man, it just went way out into the left field.

Grushenka
Jan 4, 2009
One of my dad's friends gave me Atlas Shrugged to read when I was fourteen, right before I started high school. "You're a smart girl, you'll like this book". I finished it in about a week or so.

I want that week of my life back. It wasn't entirely a waste but my god was that book awful.

Grushenka
Jan 4, 2009
Wading through Rand is like a rite of literary passage.

Grushenka
Jan 4, 2009
edit: too late for the August suggestions, sorry! Nothing to see here.

Grushenka
Jan 4, 2009
Back when I had a bookshelf, it was something like this: Genre, then author, then works of that author arranged in alphabetical order.

Sadly I moved overseas and left most of my books behind, and what I do have left is stacked all around my computer on my desk, which makes me feel like Hanta from Too Loud a Solitude whenever I'm doing my coursework.

Grushenka
Jan 4, 2009
It's a bit early but I'm just saying that February would be the perfect month to discuss the poems of Pablo Neruda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grushenka
Jan 4, 2009

GZA Genius posted:

I just dont see how its a literary classic. It just seems like smut material for goons to sperg on.

I was going to say something smug about you probably being a lovely teacher but I'll effortpost and suggest you check other works by Nabokov if you don't like Lolita. Maybe The Gift?