Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Daveski posted:

Definitely stick with it, it becomes much easier to read after the first section. There really is a plot in there, I swear.

I think the best way to read Gravity's Rainbow for the first time is just to give up on trying to make sense of it and let it wash over you. Just keep swimming!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

7 y.o. bitch posted:

It's called loving The Sword of Truth.

I'm sure there are fantasy threads in TBB that would be perfectly down to talk about it, though.

And it's about a sword, that has the word "TRUTH" written on it, in all capital letters.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

7 y.o. bitch posted:

Frye is one of the clearest writers in literary criticism, and I think it's sad that his style and method have gone so out of favor. The polemical introduction is the most controversial part of the book, the rest is pretty much a repetition of the same general structure of analysis. If the book is anything, it is over-rigorous, but I think that intensity of rigor provides illuminating moments that might be overlooked by literary historians (for two examples, the importance and definition of the masque in symbological terms, and the same for the anatomy work). His final sections on non-literary speech are wicked in their disgust, and I think pretty visionary (and I think that section as well can be too-easily dismissed by our media-studies obsessed academic practice nowadays, particularly when such an influential critic as Kristeva built her entire theory of feminine ecriture around the notion that literary speech was a special place that can locate itself outside of politics. I find Butler at fault for this one.)

I don't think much should "go over your head," but I think AoC provides a great reading list.

For literary criticism, I find it's hard to beat this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Pooh-Perplex-Freshman-Casebook/dp/0226120589

He did a follow-up volume for more modern lit-crit schools, but it unfortunately isn't as funny.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

7 y.o. bitch posted:

That you have nothing but disdain for lit crit? Please explain.

A little of all of those; closest with this, though I wouldn't go that far. It's difficult to explain, hence the comic detachment.

The best summary of my view on lit-crit generally (and, yes, it's an enormous field) would probably be that I think it can provide a lot of useful analytical tools when considering artistic works, but that those tools are generally used as a substitute for original thought rather than a facilitator of it; that many of said tools exist primarily to push assorted socio-political agendas more than anything else; and that those socio-political agendas, in turn, often have more to do with the churning drive towards tenure than they do with actual individuals experiencing real problems in the world outside academia.

In other words, Terry Eagleton's an extremely perceptive writer, and you can learn a lot by reading his books, but he's trying to sell you on Marxism, and more specifically, he's trying to sell you on Marxism so you'll buy his textbook.

That said, two essays in particular in the Crews book -- "A Bourgeois Writer's Proletarian Fables" and "A. A. Milne's Honey-Balloon-Pit-Gun-Tail-Bathtubcomplex" really are wonderful send-ups of Marxist and Freudian literary analysis, respectively. The Crews book has value because it

1) presents decent examples of various schools of literary analysis, familiarizing the reader with those ideas,
and
2) is also funny, a marked advantage.

So it's hard to beat because it gives a good basic education while also having the wisdom to not take itself too seriously, which most literary critics avoid more assiduously than Dracula would avoid a cross made out of holy-water-grown hydroponic garlic.

Of course, any general statement I make about "lit crit" is going to have at least one, if not a hundred, exceptions -- as you say, the field's enormous, and enormously varied. For every Eagleton there's an Eco. But still -- in my personal experience, at least, the weeds have overgrown the yard, and it's best to approach any lit-crit text carefully, with gloves on and trowel well in hand.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jun 29, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Has there ever been a Patrick O'Brian thread here? I was reading the Naomi Novik Temeraire series and I had to migrate over to Aubrey/Maturin just to get my head clear.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

freebooter posted:

Are they any good? I've been meaning to read them. I couldn't loving stand Temeraire.

The Patrick O'Brian books are absolutely brilliant -- pretty much perfect. The characters and setting are *perfectly* drawn. O'Brian did his historical research and it shows -- not just getting the dates of his battles right, but all the characters speak in period voices, using period language, etc.; the sailors use period nautical terms, the ship's doctor uses period medical terminology, etc.

Plus, on top of that, the series has immensely compelling characters. The basic "engine" is the relationship between Jack Aubrey, a ship captain in the Royal Navy, and his surgeon, Stephen Maturin. Aubrey's optimistic, brave, friendly -- sortof a golden retriever of a man, a drat-near genius of a fighting ship captain but absolutely hopeless at just about anything on land (career politics, economic/business decisions, etc.) Maturin, by contrast, is pretty much hopeless at sea, but an expert on land -- academic physician, secret agent, expert naturalist and scientist, etc.

So the typical cycle of the books is

1. Aubrey and Maturin are both poor.
2. They go to sea and, through Aubrey's brilliance, take prizes in roaring sea battles.
3. They go back to land and Aubrey fucks up somehow and loses everything.
4. Maturin pulls off some machinations and gets Aubrey back into a boat where he can't get in any more trouble.
5. return to #2.

As an example, my favorite scene in the whole series might be in the second book, when Aubrey's being chased by tipstaffs (bailiffs from the Debtor's Prison). To legally arrest him for debt, they have to touch him with their staffs, their symbol of office. SO he's been hiding out on his ship, where they can't get to him. It's docked in port, though, and he sneaks off to go to a party at a local inn, just a few hundred yards away from where his ship is docked. Halfway through the party, the bailiffs break into the inn, so his friends & crew brawl hold them off while Aubrey runs to the window - only to see that the bailiffs have stationed men below the window, too. So he shouts out to his crew, they send the press-gang ashore, impress the bailiffs, and sail away. It's an incredibly great scene, and one that could only be written by an author who'd researched Napoleonic era debtor's law *and* maritime/press gang law.

Overall, I can't recommend them highly enough. It does help to buy the "Sea of Words" book from Amazon -- it's a dictionary of all the nautical terms, etc., so when Aubrey orders someone to "mouse the horses" you can figure out that he's ordering them to tie the footropes more securely in the rigging, etc. I think I'm on my third or fourth read-through of the series right now and there are long passages I'm only now beginning to understand, with the help of said dictionary.

All the battles in the series are based on actual naval battles of the period -- basically, Aubrey is a heavy rewrite of Lord Cochrane -- so there's an incredible amount of realism in every word, with the added joy of reading something that you know is fairly close to actual historical battles.

So much better than Temeraire. I mean, hell, I like dragons as much as the next guy, but if you're writing historical fiction, make your characters live in that era, don't just transpose modern individuals back 300 years >_<. (Susanna Clarke's Johnathan Strange and Mr. Norell is another example of a book that did historical napoleonic-era fiction right, with characters who speak and think as if they're from that era.)

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jul 3, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Dan Simmons is really hit or miss: some of his stuff is amazingly good, some of it's amazingly bad. I've avoided Drood because I don't want to read The Mystery of Edwin Drood since it's unfinished and I'll never know who dunit =(

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

7 y.o. bitch posted:

Maybe chronology will work for you! Or maybe you could figure out whether it's fantasy or sci-fi based on when the events in the book take place. So if it's a wizard from earth who uses a rocket ship to fly to Mars or something, obviously that's the future, so it'd be sci-fi. But if the wizard just happened to live on a radically advanced planet, but in the past, then that'd be fantasy.

poo poo, but where do I catalog The Time Machine?

Perhaps I'll just have to perpetually move it around the library. I can set up a little steam-driven model railroad for it.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Timefortea posted:

Hope this is the right place to ask this. I've been asked to write a review on Hawking's "The Grand Design" for a friend's philosophy blog. Book is now finished, and I'd like tips on review writing.

I'm well versed in essay style writing from a BTh, and my current physics studies arms me technically. So I'm just chasing tips and tricks to good review writing, esp on scientific style books.

The biggest thing in good review writing is to keep in mind your (potential) audiences. Think about what your readers want to know; conversely, though, make sure to communicate your own personal reaction(s) to the work, just do it in a way that also tells your audience what their reactions might be. Stay away from controversial topics that don't directly relate to the work, like race and politics and religion.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Bonaventure posted:

Hot tips for reviewing books: don't talk about anything interesting!!!!!

Just saying that if it ain't relevant to the work, don't bring it up, because you'll piss *somebody* off. If you have to mention it to write an effective review -- i.e., if the book is just flat out racist and the criticism needs to be made -- go for it.

Most of my experience is from writing Amazon reviews, and over there if you mention politics, religion, or race unnecessarily you'll pay a *huge* price in negative votes even for making generic, innocuous statements (see, e.g., the reviews of Sarah Palin's Going Rogue, here: http://www.amazon.com/Going-Rogue-American-Sarah-Palin/dp/0061939897 ). If it isn't directly relevant to the work, if you're not bringing it up for a reason, there's just no point -- you'll piss off readers and won't gain anything by it.

The main thing though is just imagine who your potential audiences for the review are and make sure you include all the things they'll want to know.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Kieselguhr Kid posted:

Your problem seems to be mistaking 'writing a review that most people on Amazon will find inoffensive' and 'writing a good review.'

Don't really think I have a problem, but thanks!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
http://www.archive.org/details/texts

and google books.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Dr Scoofles posted:

I noticed midway through the High Level Lit Chat thread some discussion on Medieval literatre and Old English, with some mention on how it is possible to learn enough in a month to read Beowulf comfortably.

I just finished a module on Medieval poetry and I'm really interested in using my Christmas break to trying to learn some Old English myself.

Does anybody have any recommendations for good books, websites or courses I should be checking out?

I wasn't too sure if I should post this here or in the high level thread, didn't want to spam it up in there as it's flowing so nicely.

This was the standard text we used back when I took Old English in college:

http://www.amazon.com/Biography-English-Language-C-M-Millward/dp/0495906417/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1293120199&sr=8-1

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Back when I was in school, I remember the libraries being divided into social areas and quiet areas. I generally did most of my studying in the social areas just to be around people -- I find I focus better if I'm around others, if only so I don't start going all OHMYGODSOLONELY.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

deety posted:

In the US, things published before 1923 are public domain, that includes some Lovecraft stories but I'm pretty sure there's nothing by Howard in that time frame.

I think there's *some* stuff by Howard but not the Conan stuff, or rather, the copyright status on the Conan stuff is ambiguous:

quote:

The name Conan and the names of Robert E. Howard's other principal characters are claimed as trademarked by Paradox Entertainment of Stockholm, Sweden, through its US subsidiary Paradox Entertainment Inc. Paradox copyrights stories written by other authors under license from Conan Properties Inc.
However, since Robert E. Howard published his Conan stories at a time when the date of publication was the marker (1932 through 1963), and any new owners failed to renew them to maintain the copyrights,[28] the exact copyright status of all of Howard's Conan works are in question.[29] In practice, most of the Conan stories exist in at least two versions subject to different copyright standards: The original Weird Tales publications before or shortly after Howard's death, which have been understood to be "public domain", and "restored" versions based on manuscripts that were unpublished in Howard's lifetime, for which current copyrights are easily defended.
The Australian site of Project Gutenberg has many Robert E. Howard stories, including several Conan stories.[30] This indicates that, in their opinion, the stories are free from copyright and may be used by anyone, at least under Australian law, which was 50 years from author's death until 2005. Subsequent stories written by other authors are subject to the copyright laws of the relevant time.
In the United Kingdom, 70 years after the death of an author his works fall into the public domain and as such the works of Robert E. Howard have now fallen into the public domain there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conan_the_Barbarian#Copyright_and_trademark_dispute

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

dmccaff posted:

I signed up to the reddit secret santa this year and this arrived yesterday.

Delighted. Any recommendations on what to start first?

Wow, that's a great collection. It's basically all "first novels" in long fantasy series. Looking at that stack actually makes me sad because I've read most of them and I'll never get to read them for the first time again =(

All depends on what you like -- there's a really wide assortment there and they're all very different.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Herr Tog posted:

Can someone tell me about this tome? Is it like some sort of joke? I got the book from a co-worker and I tried to read it but it was unbearable and when I tried to give it back he wasn't concerned with it and told me that I can 'pass it along.'

All I know is from reviews of the RPG:
http://jrients.blogspot.com/2005/07/wraeththu-report.html

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

pakman posted:

I have a very odd request. Earlier in the week my friends and I were talking about running an RPG of some sort on the email list that we are a part of, and the discussion got sidetracked. What happened was one of my friends started writing a story completely in jest, and here are some excerpts:

This had me wondering if there were any books with this style/feeling. The closest thing I could think of was Jules Verne. Or perhaps something "steampunkish" or Victorian in nature. Any thoughts/suggestions?

Maybe some of the Doc Savage stuff, but even that's a bit of a stretch.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

blue squares posted:

I want to slowly read the Lord of the Rings between sessions with other books. Can I read it on my kindle or are the illustrations essential? The kindle screen is often too small to make out fine details in maps. I've seen the movies several times so I'll probably be using those to visualize.

You can probably do just fine on the kindle. You can always pull up a map online if you get confused.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

crankdatbatman posted:

I don't read much Christian literature, but what I have read is always like this. Is there any popular Christian literature that is a bit more subtle with its undertones, or does it all assume we are morons/10 year olds and hit you with the religion like a lead pipe over and over again? Any critically acclaimed Christian literature out there?

It depends. As mentioned, there's stuff like C.S. Lewis and Chesterton's Father Brown stories, which are explicitly Christian allegories. The Narnia books I find especially grating now, reading them as an adult, because I feel like I'm getting hit with a LOOK ITS JESUS hammer every time Aslan shows up and it irritates me that I didn't grasp it all when I was a kid.

The best literary Christian writer I'm aware of is Graham Greene. Try The End of the Affair. Explicitly catholic christian, but intelligent as all hell.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Oh, and if you want christian works with a more popular sci-fi type style, try A Canticle for Liebowitz.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
You could claim Poe as the most *influential* writer, if not the most famous, for essentially inventing the detective genre.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Mar 29, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

bigperm posted:

I have to do an oral presentation in my English class. Basically it's reading a sonnet or 14 lines of another work by Shakespeare. I feel everyone in the class is going to just read the first 14 lines of 'To be or not to be'. I am totally unfamiliar with Shakespeare was was looking to solicit some suggestions.

Oh, there's always Sonnet 20. Freak out your teacher by convincing the class Shakespeare was gay! For bonus points, point out that many of the love sonnets, including Sonnet 18 ("Shall I compare thee to a Summer's Day") were addressed to a man!

Alternatively, this might be a good site:
http://www.shakespeare-monologues.org/

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

timeandtide posted:

Is anyone else sick of Dan Simmons?

I tend to like the first book or two of each of Dan Simmon's series, where he sets up intricate and original worlds, interesting narrative concepts, intriguing characters, and enthralling puzzles.

I always hate the last book or two, where it always turns out the answer to those enthralling puzzles is Space Jesus.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Quandary posted:

I loved the play Les Miserables and am thinking about reading the book, but it's long as gently caress (1800~ pages). Is it worth the read for the length?

Short answer: Yes.

You could try an abridged version if it's all you can find.

Long answer: do you read a lot of long books? It's a really long book. It's also an amazingly good book, so it's worth the read for the length, but if long-as-gently caress books aren't your thing period it's not going to be your thing, period.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

EricBauman posted:

Baudolino. It's pretty accessible because it's only set in one time frame, isn't shooting back and forth in perspective and doesn't have a first quarter that's explicitly written to scare of people (like The Name of the Rose). It's a medieval adventure novel, basically, but written in Eco's usual smart and playful manner.

Yeah, but The Name of the Rose is his best book by far. I'd say leap right the gently caress into Rose knowing that he meant parts of it, especially the description of the Abbey door (get it?) to scare off readers who weren't able or willing to hack it.

Lord Lambeth posted:

And how accessible would you say it is generally? Is it harder to read than, say, Moby Dick?

If you could handle the long whaling description sections in Moby Dick you can handle Rose easily; they're actually pretty similar in a weird way. Eco just threw in some deliberately complex and intimidating passages at the beginning to scare off readers who fear intellectual texts.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Dec 12, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

That drat Satyr posted:

Could anyone recommend a good book on Greek deities (and perhaps their respective cults)? Alternatively, something that digs into the the theological beliefs of lesser-known religions - say, for example early Mesopotamian religious beliefs?

Edith Hamilton's Mythology is the place to start for greek stuff, unless you want to get really really classical and read Ovid's Metamorphoses. Alternatively, D'Aularies Book of Greek Myths is pretty good too if written for children, as is their Book of Norse Myths. For Celtic mythology I'd recommend Gods and Fighting Men by Lady Gregory.

For early Mesopotamian it's actually fairly hard to find something written for popular audiences. Checking my bookshelf all I have is "Myths of Mesopotamia," Oxford's World Classics, Trans. Stephen Dalley, but it's a really scholarly translation of source texts, not "here are the stories".

For study of cults you have to get a little more in-depth; most sources are just "her are the stories." I've got a really neat book titled Cults of the Roman Empire, by Robert Turcan, which covers Isis cults, Mithraic cults, etc.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Dec 27, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Octy posted:

Has anyone read this chap? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Plunkett,_18th_Baron_of_Dunsany

He was mentioned in another thread as having influenced Tolkien and Lovecraft and while I'm not expecting quite the same stuff, I'd still like to check him out. His 'Joseph Jorkens' character sounds a lot like Wodehouse's 'Mr. Mulliner' too.

He's brilliant and one of the greatest pre-Tolkien fantasy writers and you should read him. Start here: Idle Days on the Yann.

He's been a big influence on pretty much everyone (Neil Gaiman's Stardust is very much inspired by Dunsany's work).

The problem with him is he's got a pretty affected style that works for him but that other writers sometimes try to imitate with disastrous results.

Here's Ursula K. LeGuin on Dunsany:

quote:

On the map of literature, I see Dunsany as a small, walled city in a desert, with opal walls and spires of bronze, and strange little streets, and a great gate made from a single tooth. The lord of the city is a generous host. It is not on the beaten path, but it is worth visiting.
http://www.ursulakleguin.com/UKL-Review-Joshi-LordDunsany.html

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Cheekio posted:

I'm looking for an Asimov short story where a scientist is talking to a therapist, explaining how the earth/sun is like a test tube and mutually assured destruction is like the proverbial bounds of a petri dish. He's working on a nuclear shield that would prevent global destruction.

Any of this ringing anyone's bells? I'd go into more detail but I'd rather not spoil the whole story because I highly recommend it.

If it's the story I'm thinking of it's titled "Breeds There a Man?"

At least from what I've found in a quick google search.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Inudeku posted:

Just sort of bought Watership Down blindly. I've seen the trailer for the movie and it looks brutal as gently caress. Is the book also this brutal? I'm not one for super violent stuff. I'm sure it has it's moments but that trailer makes me think it's Killing Rabbits: The Book.

You're in for a real treat, it's one of the great novels of the twentieth century (I think so, anyway).

The movie is actually much darker than the book, which is really weird considering it's Disney. The book is as dark as it needs to be and no darker.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

iostream.h posted:

I was finishing On the Beach (again) in my favorite little restaurant today and the waitress, who has been working to improve her English took a few moments to sit and talk with me (I'm a regular, this isn't weird, I also bring the owner bottles of bourbon regularly because 'You are from Alabama, you know what good whiskey is' I love the place) and was asking me about it.

I finished up, picked up my bag and stood to walk out and she stopped again and asked if had a good ending and without thinking I just held it out and said 'You tell me'. She protested and said 'it's your book' to which I replied 'no, it's YOUR book, enjoy!' and pressed it into her hands.

Dear Lord, you'd have thought I gave her a block of gold, it was awesome. She actually smiled and hugged it to her chest and thanked me profusely. It was awesome. I have to do this more.

I've really been on a weird kick for the past few months to do stupid stuff like that, randomly paying for someone's groceries behind me (depending on how many they have), or just handing the cashier a $10-$20 and saying 'that's for their stuff' and pointing behind me, it's FUN and I've actually gotten yelled at a couple of times because 'I DON'T NEED YER CHARITY!' but gently caress it.

I don't really have a point except I feel like rambling on a bit and I want to encourage everyone to give books to people. I think I'm going to do it more!

On the one hand that's awesome. On the other I'm not sure if you could have possibly given her a book with a sadder ending.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Arg can I buy hard copies of ebooks though

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

spidoman posted:

Apologies if this ends up being a recommend me a book post.

I've always struggled with and been fascinated by the coward archetype in literature and film.

Whether it's Falstaff, the Malfoys from Harry Potter, or Wormtongue from LOTR, I just feel like I'm missing the full point of the archetype, I get that they play a good comparison to the courageous hero, but it feels like there is something else that I just don't pick up on. Does anyone know of a good lecture, talk, paper, (or even book) that looks deeper into the classic coward?

No suggestions but I'd add Scooby and Shaggy from Scooby-doo to the trope, as positive cowardly figures.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Josh Lyman posted:

I finished listening to the audiobook of Fifty Shades of Grey. I remember when people said it was basically Twilight fan fiction, but I didn't realize they were being literal. Pretty much every thing about the book is awful, just like the Twilight movies. At least the ending is the logical conclusion.

The characters were explicitly Twilight characters in the first draft.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Tom Tucker posted:

Hey everyone, I am not sure where the best place to ask this would be, but I saw the 'general discussion' so I thought I'd go for it in here. If anyone knows a better thread or resource please let me know.

I am looking to get my girlfriend something incredibly special for Christmas this year, and she is a super book fiend. We have over 2600 books in our library, and I want to get her a book that will really knock her socks off, something historic and collectible.

She reads Ulysses every Bloomsday, and it is easily her favorite book, so I was thinking I could get her a special version of this, but I don't even know if that's feasible. I'd be happily willing to spend a couple hundred dollars, but I'm not sure what (if anything) I'd be able to get for that.

Does anyone know of any resources for early editions of books, or how much I'd have to spend to get a Joyce of any sort of historical value that she could be proud of? I'm local to Boston if that matters.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

http://www.biblio.com/search.php?author=joyce%2C+james&title=&keyisbn=&format=&first=on&signed=on

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

spacemost posted:

I ordered a book from Amazon recently because I thought I was getting an older printing that would have matched the spines of other books by the same author, and instead I got the small awful reprint that came out with the movie adaptation. I even paid $20.00 extra for rush delivery.

RIP print. I'm switching to eBooks. :smith:

Write to amazon and complain. Maybe they'll send you a free book.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
You could also try Amazon's "other ways to buy this book" amd biblio.com, though I didn't see any in a quick look.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Millions posted:

Bit of an odd question that has to do more with destroying a book than reading it:

I collect fantasy maps, and found a copy of Ursula LeGuin's Tales from Earthsea & The Other Wind that has a map inside it, two actually. The problem is that half of the first map is printed on a page that is glued to the interior of the front cover (the other half is the first page of the book) and half of the other map is glued to the interior back cover (the other half being the final page of the book). I got lucky because it looks like the maps are just a single piece of paper, one half of which has been glued to its respective cover and the other half let to flap about.

My question is: Any idea how I can get the map off the cover without damaging it?

Would you mind sharing the edition information for that book? I've got a similar collecting habit going in a small way and have been looking for an Earthsea map suitable for framing like that.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Millions posted:

Thanks for all the suggestions, I guess I've got some work to do.

Sure! The map is pretty small, but it's all I can find.

http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/pl.cgi?121261

Thanks!

You could try maybe steaming it lightly, like you would to take a seal off a letter. With some books where I've wanted to get sticky stuff off of it, the simplest thing is just to stick it on a shelf and wait a few years while the glue ages and dries. I've used both those techniques to get things like old library tags off of old books. A lot depends on the type of glue used.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Dec 19, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Tenacious J posted:

A question for the English Lit people.

Lately I've been trying to decipher the last paragraph of Thoreau's Walden.

From doing some research online I discovered that (supposedly): "John or Johnathan" refers to Britain and American respectively. "The light that puts out our eyes in darkness to us" is inspired by Indian fakirs who would destroy their eyes by staring into the sun as an act of religious sacrifice, which I gather Thoreau judged to be misguided. If this is the case, the rest of the paragraph is commenting on religion. If so, what does the last line say? The sun (which represents fanatic religion) is also the thing that creates a dawn?

I'm not a student of literature, forgive my tenuous grasp of this. Also, is there another meaning in this besides the religious stuff? Thanks.

Ok, my brief and uninformed analysis of this is that the key sentence is "Only that day dawns to which we are awake." The idea is that there are good and beautiful things beyond our comprehension, but that still exist and are still beautiful, and (perhaps? possibly? potentially?) that by expanding our comprehension we can expand the range of good options which will open before us. In the context of Walden as a whole this probably means things like (for example) living out in nature is pretty awesome but most people aren't going to realize how awesome it is because they'll never know to go check out a wilderness pond in the early dawn. It's not just that they don't know how awesome Walden Pond is, it's that they don't even know that they don't know how awesome Walden Pond is -- they're blind to their own blindness. Expanding our horizons expands the range and breadth and depth of our joys.

I haven't looked at the passage in context, just the snippet you quoted, but based on the quote I'd be hesitant to read too much literality into it -- saying that Johnathan is "Americans" rather than just "typical people," or that the passage is referring to religious experience specifically rather than the nature of experience generally.