Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

LooseChanj posted:

That was actually decent.

I saw this in the mythology/folklore section at my local bookshop. I didn't pick it up, but if it was by Caitlin R. Kiernan, you'd expect it to be a cut above.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

McLarenF1 posted:

I heard in another thread someone say that book releases are not like video games or movie releases and they don't always stick to a certain date, and some sellers will release them early. Is that true? Do I need to pre-order my copy, or should I just walk in? I've never tried to get a book on release day before. I'd love to get the book at midnight, but their don't seem to be any midnight releases in the northern D.C suburbs.

Yes, books are often on bookshop shelves (or delivered) before the official release date. The Harry Potter books' co-ordinated worldwide releases are as far as I know unique, and the publishers went to huge lengths to make the midnight release idea work - up to the level of considering prosecuting people for buying them early. Try the author's/publisher's website/blog if you want to know about release parties.

Don't worry about not being able to buy the book - DC isn't the middle of nowhere, you don't have to worry about two other fans buying the only two copies for miles. You might find that some places only have it in hardback, though. If you're desperate to get it as quickly as possible, then preorder it and it might arrive a few days early.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

BellumGallikku posted:

There's about a page long story in Hard Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World by Haruki Murakami where a devil sits by a Finnish country road and has a farmer come by and talk with him; they use really archaic speech which comes out as Old English in the translation. I don't suppose Murakami finishes the story elsewhere in his work but does anyone know what type of dialect he used to get that archaic effect in the original Japanese?

No, but I'd love to know how much of it was Murakami's tin ear and how much the translator's.

quote:

Whither ye be gang in sich 'aste? the Devil called out to a Farmer. Done broke me ploughshare and must to fixe it, the farmer replied.

(Edit: sorry if this sounds really snotty and rude. My point is that the translation is really synthetic and cobbled-together, and the original might actually be totally different.)

Unless you meant the bit the narrator thinks is Finnish. Anyway, there's a Japanese literature thread and a Japanese language thread in (I think) A/T, they're probably better bets than here.

Safety Biscuits fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Aug 1, 2011

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Definitely sounds like a river to me.

I think you're coming at this from the wrong angle, unless you're writing this for someone who you know has heard of this river. It doesn't matter how good the clues are; if it's a totally obscure river, the riddle is basically unsolvable except by brute force or luck. Pick a river everyone's heard of - Dracula or Sherlock Holmes or Circe.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

DirtyRobot has it; I was just playing along with the other two goons who said "It's a river".

Anyway the point is: everyone knows what a river is; how many people have read Amber?

Edit:

Flaggy posted:

I have read it

You're missing the point.

Safety Biscuits fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Sep 3, 2011

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Try Fevre Dream by George R. R. Martin (mostly vampires, not much politics) or The Dragon Waiting by John M. Ford (lots of politics, but the vampires are less important.)

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Dr Scoofles posted:

I'm fishing around to see if there is any interest in a Let's Read Dante's Inferno thread.

Hell, I'd be down for this.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

barkingclam posted:

Merry Christmas, all. Anybody get books this year?

Merry Christmas!
Usually Christmas is a book-buying bonanza for our family, as my father, my sister (just done her MA in English Lit) and myself are all readers. But he didn't want any in particular and she and I both felt we've got too drat many books already, so the only person who got a book was my mother, who reads maybe a book a month.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

TFNC posted:

To go along with what vegaji said, are there any particular passages in Waugh that you had to re-read a time or two to understand the content? If so, try to account for that effect: is she using odd metaphors, irregular syntax, fresh ironies, an unusual p.o.v., or what?

:eng101: Evelyn Waugh had a penis!
And was married to a women named Evelyn; their friends called her Shevelyn.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

He's brilliant and one of the greatest pre-Tolkien fantasy writers and you should read him. Start here: Idle Days on the Yann.

"The Fortress Unvanquishable, Save for Sacnoth" is all heroic fantasy in ten pages. And le Guin is right on the money there.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Persuasion's not a good palce to start, but I like Emma a lot.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

The Mishima photo really makes it.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

CestMoi posted:

Anywhere that's big enough for a Waterstones there'll probably be a second hand bookstore which will be cheaper and have a nice weird old man you can talk about books with.

Or even charity shops for ultimate moral superiority in your book-buying, although you usually can't talk about books with the nice weird old man.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Stravinsky posted:

Dost is cool but the best Russian work that really understood people imo was Tolstoy's death of Ivan illyach

What's the best Russian work that doesn't really understand people?

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

OK, how about the best one that really doesn't understand people?

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

The Book of Going Forth By Day.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

supermikhail posted:

As a man who regularly puts out stuff of objectionable quality, I can empathize.

Plus with a bit improved writing and a good dose of cartoony spunk, I feel like it could put a smile on the lips of a person less jaded by life than me.

This is TBB, not ADTRW.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Reminds me more of Dr Stranglelove.

E: in typo veritas.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

rotinaj posted:

What's a good place to find sales figures for science fiction books? The Amazon listing mixes in fantasy and horror, and I believe NYT does the same. If I wanted to find the most popular SF books of the past year, or the current top ten sellers, where should I look?

Locus. I'm not sure if it's on the website or you'll have to buy a copy though. Won't have numbers, though.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Everything I recognise is good. Small Beer is good. But what you really want to be spending your money on is Mark Z. Danielewski's clothing range, right? http://markzdanielewski.com/ Like the Yggdrasil zip-up hoodie and "It's mine" bag (explicit!) They even come with page numbers!

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Do you like books? Do you like free books? Do you like books as a Christmas present? Do you like spreading joy and cheer amongst huankind, or at least goonkind, at Christmas? If the answer to these questions is yes, hop over to the Secret Santa thread and sign up!

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

I'm not going to force Secret Santa-ing down anyone's throat, but let's imagine these are FAQs. If anyone does have any actual questions please feel free to ask them here or in the thread.

quote:

I'm a heathen who listens to books on tape because I don't have time to sit down and read.

Audiobooks are a-ok in the Santa. I did say you must accept a physical gift, but that was because I'm a luddite and thought there might be some issue with buying audiobooks in one country and sending them to another. I imagine most people won't have a problem.

Hedrigall posted:

I don't want new books. [...] The only exception is if one of my top few authors releases a new novel

You don't have to ask for books - book-related stuff is ok too - and if one of your favourite authors recently released a book, you can ask specifically for that. You can also pass on second-hand books if they're in good condition.

TV Zombie posted:

How did you amass so many books without reading them? Are you making good headway with some of them?

It's easier than it seems. v:shobon:v

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Juanito posted:

My TBB secret santa experiences were generally mediocre. Especially the year when I got a $15 Amazon GC. I don't know why someone would even join a Secret Santa, and send a gift card that was even less than the gift value was supposed to be.

The mod is watching over this Secret Santa and dicking about will be punished, although obviously at his discretion.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Speaking of giving books away, the TUIB Secret Santa will be open for sign-ups until Wednesday 23rd November.

If you haven't signed up yet, today is a good day to fix that. If you have, please feel free to tell your friends about it!

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Franchescanado posted:

I looked into it and it has matchbox print. I'll look for a better edition.

You can get the Penguin Modern Classics one in a big edition with notes and stuff or a smaller one without, both are perfectly pleasant. The spine on mine is bent a bit but it's not too bad for a paperback that size. It's the 1960 text iirc.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

The Gabler edition is controversial, because it made a bunch of mistakes, and as I understand it the actual differences from the Bodley Head edition are not very big. I don't think it makes a difference unless you're planning to publish about it though.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

I really liked the Pevear and Volokhonsky version.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

On the one hand, that post wasn't worth punishing, on the other hand, it looks like a fun mod challenge. v:shobon:v

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

There's a quotation from a writer who began their career in one language and then switched to English about how difficult learning to write in English was. I think it describes slogging from one city to another, at night, with only the other city's distant lights for encouragement. i might have misremembered though, cos I think it's Nabokov and I can't find anything when I google using his name or this description. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Anyone want books for Christmas? You're in the Book Barn, so you probably do! Why not join our 2017 Secret Santa? Last year was a big success, so this year should be too. If you're interested, the thread is here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3838647

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Hey, it's the last 24 hours for the 2017 Book Barn Secret Santa! Come and take a look if you're at all interested and email me if you want to sign up. If you want to join in but are busy today, drop me an email and I'll let you sneak in in the next couple of days.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

StrixNebulosa posted:

What does this forum think of Barbara Tuchman? I got Guns of August as a Christmas gift amongst other things and I want to hear what goons think of it.

Ask the military history thread in A/T.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

The 2018 Book Barn Secret Santa is up! Check out the thread to ask questions or sign up.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

I've just posted this year's Secret Santa thread. Come over to https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3903265 and sign up!

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

escape artist posted:

is there a historical fiction thread?

If not, :justpost:

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Safety Biscuits posted:

I've just posted this year's Secret Santa thread. Come over to https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3903265 and sign up!

If you're interested in this, please decide quickly whether or not you want to take part. Signups close in about 24 hours!

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Stay tuned for The Book Bairns

which could make a good gang tag, actually...

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

GWBBQ posted:

Did Lovecraft incorporate any real history into his early works? In particular, The Tomb references the Hyde family. I'm interested in this because I'm descended from the actual Hyde family among the early New England settlers and wonder if he referenced real historical families in his writing.

You want to read S. T. Joshi. His Penguin Classic editions of Lovecraft have a load of endnotes about that kind of stuff, but I'm not sure if he's written about that kind of thing at length.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Maybe a weird question, but anyone have any favorite book lights for reading in bed? I have this Mighty Bright light that works good, but the beam isn't quite wide enough for bigger hardcovers, so I'm moving the drat thing all the time.

Seriously, don't get one that can possibly touch anything in the bed, because then it's possible to accidentally turn the lamp on and start a fire. I usually just have a desk lamp near the bed.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

There is a new Twilight book coming out apparently and it reminds me of the great Book Nerd Paradox

On one hand, those books suck and the readers of those books are subhuman. On the other hand, there is an entirely subculture of equally subhuman readers who spend all their time hating on Twilight but also read absolute poo poo.

Don't sign your posts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

The number of people Vonnegut says died in the bombing is definitely fiction.