Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
My Kindle voyage just died after nearly 5 years :(

I live near one of the physical Amazon stores so going in tomorrow to see how I feel about the Oasis. I hope I can stand the "buttons only on one side" design since they discontinued the Voyage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Kindles were amazing for me. I grew up and went to college in a very rural place, and I got to go from "what can I get from my library?" to being able to buy stuff I heard about online, and it was huge.

I got the Oasis today and after a couple hours my fears about the one handed design are gone, but it no longer fits in my back pants pocket, nor the top of my backpack. :( My voyage fit perfectly and lasted nearly 5 years of accidental butt damage.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I'm pissed, my Kindle just asked if I wanted to turn on word learning mode for kids because I clicked on the word "nacreous"

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

chernobyl kinsman posted:

so you said yes right

I am curious what % of people at large could define that word on sight. This is apparently the only book on my Kindle that has the word in it and I have some esoteric and old poo poo downloaded.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Is nacre the more common word outside the states or something? I've never heard it used IRL in my entire life, it's literally always called mother-of-pearl. A word I've never heard outside of a biology textbook in high school, converted to an adjective with an odd pronunciation. I'm going to die on this hill.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Philthy posted:

Got a pile of Amazon gift cards from work/christmas and they finally added up to a new Kindle Oasis.

Sent the thing back already. Whoever decided to have a slippery metal back on a kindle is ... dumb. My paperwhite has this nice velvety rubber backing and feels so nice. There is also this weird hump thing that annoyed my fingers, and it also has page turn buttons which also annoy my fingers.

The big screen was nice, but not that much larger.

I guess if they can basically make the paperwhite with a bigger screen I might try again, but that Oasis was just weird for something you'll be holding in your hands for hours and hours.

I'm not a huge fan of the form factor either after having mine for a month or two. I think it's just the lack of balance for me, I read 400+ books on my Voyage and my hands find it very comfortable. I may get used to the Oasis, but I honestly wish they'd just keep putting out Voyages as "premium" paperwhites.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I feel like the forum name changes are trying to gaslight me in to believing I have dyslexia

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
How often have you guys and gals gotten the opportunity to discuss a book midway through, after high school?

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I ask because I'm in a very long term book club that meets twice a month w/ set chapters. I found out after I moved recently that that's not common, so most people never discuss plot or w/e outside of specific books

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I kinda regret buying the Oasis when my last Voyage died. It's just less comfortable to my hand than the symmetrical design, plus if you switch hands a lot it's a more jarring experience mid-read.

I do like having physical buttons again, though.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

StrixNebulosa posted:

What is an e-ink screen?

E Ink is a display technology that uses electronics to physically manipulate tiny little physical black dots, so that you're not looking at an electronic screen (back-lit) but a physical display that has to be lit from the front. Newer Kindles all have the lighting built in.

I don't know about others, but I can not read on a tablet screen for long at all without my eyes hurting, but I can read a Kindle for 8 hours straight when the mood strikes. I could never replace mine with a non E-Ink screen.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

the entire fourth book is a romance between a slug man and his perfectly submissive waifu. said slug repeatedly opines on the sexual advantages of an all female vs. all male army and there's much talk of breeding

I defend sci-fi/fantasy a lot, but I couldn't even make it 2 chapters in to the third Dune book. Why torture yourself?

I need some non-genre poo poo to read for a while. Could you and Mel please suggest some enjoyable reads?

I'm asking this earnestly.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Mel Mudkiper posted:

what are you in the mood for

I read We Have Always Lived In The Castle recently and absolutely loved it.

My favorite movies are all psychological thrillers. I realize that's a book genre, but but when I have read books called that it has always been really infantile.

I guess I would like a 'mystery', in only the vaguest terms.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

MockingQuantum posted:

If you haven't read Du Maurier's Rebecca go do that immediately

Just finished this and it was excellent. :thanks:

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Can anyone think of any decent modern written characters/settings with a lot of short stories?

I was thinking of Jeeves and Wooster, Conan the Barbarian. Sherlock Holmes and Poirot, too.

Murderbot is kinda close, as a series of novellas.

I imagine the whole idea has gone by the wayside for economic reasons, but it's pretty fun reading through the Sherlock short story collections for example.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Sham bam bamina! posted:

The source of his ire was self-evident in his complaint; the only reason to question it was to imply its illegitimacy.

the fact you think this is a matter of "legitimacy" is pretty telling. I think, maybe, people just don't enjoy constantly reading posts about how liking things is bad.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Liking things is not bad. Acting like criticism is hate is bad.

Criticism like calling people that like Twilight "subhumans"? Just what does that contribute to the discussion other than making you feel superior?

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Mel Mudkiper posted:

There is a new Twilight book coming out apparently and it reminds me of the great Book Nerd Paradox

On one hand, those books suck and the readers of those books are subhuman. On the other hand, there is an entirely subculture of equally subhuman readers who spend all their time hating on Twilight but also read absolute poo poo.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Mel Mudkiper posted:

What do you think is the point of that post because it seems to elude you

That you think fans of Twilight are "subhuman" and that also, people posting about Twilight in this forum are "subhuman".

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Mel Mudkiper posted:

What people posting about it

Edit: the point of the post was that making fun of Twilight is dumb at this point because there is an entire subculture built out of making fun of Twilight and that subculture doesnt read anything that's better themselves

You posted that in a subforum that has an active Twilight hate-read thread.

Just because you made a separate point out of the two statements combined doesn't mean you didn't literally state that Twilight readers are subhuman. It's possible I react more harshly to "subhuman" because I am a POC though and it gets used in a lot of bad contexts.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Sometimes it feels like this subforum's culture is partially stuck in like 2012, where making GBS threads on things or liking the right things is the key goal of posting.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I'm not sure where you're getting the idea that this is all about stopping criticism. Plenty of criticism happens in other forums.

Criticism of the form "X sucks and the people who like it are subhumans" doesn't really anymore, because that kind of posting is neither funny or insightful in any way.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I think it would be cool if the really-into-Literature posters in this forum would get a thread together as some kind of starting point for getting more people in to it.

Not everyone who reads as a pass-time/casually (genre, airport poo poo, etc) is going to get huge in to niche 60s authors or whatever, but it's something I'd bite in to if there were good recommendations and a positive atmosphere.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

A human heart posted:

that's what many many pages of the 'real literature' thread were about at the beginning

Sounds like a great reason to post a new thread, 6 years later, that doesn't begin with this:

quote:

Seriously. Almost every thread in this place is for genre novels. As Stephen King said, his novels are the literary version of a Big Mac and fries. Is this all you people read? Do you eat only fast food and hate to talk about filet mignon as well? Seriously, try to read something good for a loving change. You're not in high school anymore, read some loving real works of art.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

nut posted:

Ya I’d follow a thread that would motivate me to look up many of the big words I read here and don’t know

we're going to find out what nacreous means one of these days, god help me.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Its still relevant six years later tho

Do you actually want to get new people in to seriously looking at literature, or do you want to be superior for already being in to it? Which is more important to you?

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Then why are you here? What is your goal in this forum?

Sorry H.A. for talking about posting here, but he is literally saying he has no interest in changing peoples' opinions, but he constantly posts things dragging people.

The "never talk about posters" thing just lets him do this forever, and ever, and ever, and makes this an idiotic hole in time to 10 years ago.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

StrixNebulosa posted:

I don't think it's wrong to want a guided entry into a genre, even one as vast and weird as "literature". I'm not asking for a special key, I'm asking for something that the genre threads have the courtesy of doing: "hey you're a new reader check out xyz, they're cool".

And "go read a book that has some good reviews" isn't good advice because there is no central repository of reliable book reviews. Goodreads is garbage for a lot of reasons, and then there are book reviews everywhere and like, come on. At least say "hey I like this review blog" so someone has a starting point.

I'm really not a fan of this elitist attitude I see in this forum when it comes to non-genre books. Making fun of people for reading "bad" books is in poor form. It also leads to this kind of insular circle-jerk where the only people discussing literature are the same kind of elitist people, and that's not great for discussion.

Non-genre fiction is also such a large field that "good reviews" can easily mean that it's only good within the scope of having read a lot of other certain works. Some things need context.

That's something that a "newbie lit" thread would be able to help out with.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Mel Mudkiper posted:

If you are reading a book because you want outside validation that what you are reading is meaningful you are doing it wrong

Nobody said that. We're genre readers who are interested in some more complex/meaningful works, and would like help getting in to them.

If anything, your opposition to that supports the fact that you just want outside validation for liking things casual readers don't.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I just can't imagine being really interested in something and not being excited about new people taking interest in it.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

nut posted:

I’d suggest Saramago because what I’ve read is very fun and engaging and he is brought up regularly from what I can tell lurking.

Blindness was fantastic, I'd recommend it to anyone. Only Saramago I've read though - where else should I go?

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
If Saramago is regularly recommended in the Lit thread then it seems pretty clear that lit readers actually like good stories and characters, like every single other person in this forum.

Surely people can look at something like Blindness and find other good, engaging recommendations to ween people off of genre stuff.

I don't want to bring up the obvious but stuff like Jack London and Mark Twain are also reads that will get people excited about reading without being genre trash.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

the saddest thing about this argument, when it pops up every three to five weeks, is how insecure it shows most of the people on this forum to be. like "literature" is not even a terribly useful heuristic, but the mere idea of it - as opposed to J. K. Sanderson's newest series about skeleton wizards or whatever - brings out this painfully obvious insecurity in a whole class of posters on this forum.

we asked for a new thread to help change minds.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
it's loving disgusting that the genre thread readers want to expand their horizons and ask politely for a thread where they don't get poo poo talked on constantly

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

A human heart posted:

That post should prompt self examination, rather than outrage at the tone it is written in. Like, what if it's true that you do have bad taste? Shouldn't you think to yourself, that's bad, and see what the guy telling you to read better stuff has to say?

It doesn't prompt outrage, it prompts me wondering why we're still acting like the things you read are an important part of your character. The forums are beyond defining yourself by your media.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

A human heart posted:

That post doesn't make any statements about anyone's character, it says that many people on this forum are reading bad books rather than good ones and urges them to do something about it.

Seems like a great reason to start a new thread where you espouse the good things about certain books. Not a reason to keep making GBS threads on people for their tastes.

Directly in this quote you talk about people reading "bad books" well why the gently caress aren't you doing something about it? Why are you defending not creating a thread to correct the problem?

Until I see you guys trying to correct it, it will always feel like you're just looking for affirmation for your Superior Tastes.

AARD VARKMAN fucked around with this message at 04:15 on May 31, 2020

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

A human heart posted:

for someone who claims to want to read good books you're demanding that I do an awful lot of the work for you.

Why? If it's a good book you should be shouting it from the rooftops. Why are you making it a political statement?

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

A human heart posted:

What political statement are you talking about lol. I do post about the books I read that are good. If you don't want to read the thread where I do that that's not really my problem.

I mean, cool. Could you please help us in making a new thread that'll help us introduce people in to better literature? That's the point here.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Sham bam bamina! posted:

There's no reason to. Anyone with serious questions about serious reading can go in the Real Literature thread and just ask. They frequently do, in fact.

Why are you so antagonistic about trying to convince other people about your ideas? I just got back from an actual protest about murdering black people.

Please, please show me why you are superior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

Hi guys, former genre only reader here, I now read within and outside the genre. I have mostly the lit thread to thank for expanding my horizons and teaching me about books that are more thrilling, beautiful and memorable than pretty much anything I’d been reading earlier. There is no adequate analogy to describe to someone unfamiliar with good writing how much better it is to read than mediocre or bad writing. Seriously, it’s like going from weed to heroin prison food to caviar. Yeah, the analogies are not working.
I’ve even discovered there were genre authors as good as pretty much anyone that gets recommended in the lit thread.
It’s not that hard and people in the lit thread are really approachable. Just drop by and give us a brief description of what you’re looking for in terms of length, themes, characters, whatever. There will be a ton of people willing to help.

That's awesome. It is seriously refreshing to hear someone speaking positively about literature. It's so much easier to get excited about something when people post like this.

I'm about 50/50 myself, but the truth is I don't think I have a single genre book in my top 5. Maybe one: The Murder of Roger Ackroyd, an Agatha Christie novel, hovers around 5-6.

Number one is Catch-22.

E: for transparency I mean non-genre books, not serious literature. I am in a couple book groups that lean towards popular lit

AARD VARKMAN fucked around with this message at 10:36 on May 31, 2020