Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004
The dog-ear method is pretty abhorrent. I suppose I wouldn't mind it on utterly worthless/disposable books (mass-market pb pulps), but even then I'd go without a bookmark before I started damaging it intentionally.

On the other hand, I regularly use small post-its as bookmarks, the adhesiveness of which, I'm sure, would make serious archivists cringe. They seem quite harmless to me, but if I actually owned any books older than 50 or 60 years, perhaps I'd play it more conservatively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoG
Jul 13, 2004
I have, it only took about a week for delivery to a residential US address.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

barkingclam posted:

Here's a good preview for what's coming out this year. Highlights for me: a new William H. Gass novel, Speedboat by Renata Adler, The Childhood of Jesus by J.M. Coetzee and a new Pynchon book (that may or may not come out this year). But there's a lot of interesting stuff coming out in 2013.

Nice, just deleted my 'most anticipated of 2012' and '...of the second half of 2012' millions bookmarks and updated.
Couple more 2013 previews: Atlantic Wire, Flavorpill

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Hedrigall posted:

Oh god, I've gotten to the point where my book collection is so big that I've accidentally bought a book I already have (The Last Colony by John Scalzi).

Hah. A month or two ago, I was in a used bookstore, and came this close to walking a block back to my car to grab my phone to confirm on librarything that I already had a particular Delillo.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Ornamented Death posted:

It's not limited to ASoIaF books, just about anything in any format put out by a big publisher is going to have lovely binding and paper quality.
Well, he's clearly pointing out a discrepancy between this and other TPBs, not between this and handsewn vellum.

Guy, just buy a different edition. Most books, there are VG+ hardcovers on amazon for less than the cost of the new paperback, or at least earlier editions, imports, etc. Take a look at the listed dimensions -- thickness isn't necessarily related to paper quality, but it correlates nine times out of ten.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004
NOTICE: The Millions' Second-Half-of-2013 Book Preview has been posted.

Not having read over it yet, I expect the final Rakoff (next week!) and the new Pynchon will still top my list.

e: Ooh, nice -- Sergio de la Pava (The Naked Singularity)'s other self-published book, Personae, is getting a reissue now, too.

WoG fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jul 8, 2013

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

fgwsss posted:

Does anyone know of any good used book sites? I use Thriftbooks right now and was wondering what other similar places are out there.

alibris, abebooks, amazon used&new. I've occasionally scored on ebay for books that cost more than a few bucks elsewhere.

addall.com is a decent search aggregator, too.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

taco show posted:

Where do people look for newish book recommendations? By the time last year's Tournament of Books rolled around, I had read only one on the list.

Alternately, is there a metacritic/RT type site for books? I don't need the grade averaging, I'd just like one place to look at reviews and maybe discover new reviewers I like.

If you use librarything, they have a few recommendation algorithms (the 'read-alike' one looks a lot better than the generalized one on the front page). I would assume goodreads does something similar.

As for how I get recommendations, it's names that pop up in connection with authors I already like in critical material, writers that stood out in anthologies, preview lists like The Millions (I believe I linked the second-half-of-2013 list in this thread a while back), releases from a handful of trustworthy publishers (graywolf, nyrb classics, mcsweeneys,...), random reviews that grab my attention, etc. My stack of unread books is continually growing, so I'm never exactly starved for material.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

bowmore posted:

Who else has a book stack going on?

What, for unread books? gently caress no. I shelve them and keep a spreadsheet. I honestly don't think my ceilings are high enough for 'a stack'.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Danith posted:

Anyone know if there's a script or something that lets you sort books on amazon by page count? Sometimes I like a long book to read and so many are only like 290 pages :(

You definitely can on goodreads; you could start keeping a to-read queue there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoG
Jul 13, 2004
First time here in a while, and I see we're wrapping up the year..

Books read: 38. Not all that proud of this. I've been tracking what I've read in a spreadsheet for the past few years, and every annual sheet has been getting shorter.
Best: Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo. Believe the hype. Chevallier, Fear. Probably the greatest war memoir I've read; the NYRB imprint has never steered me wrong. McCarthy, Suttree. Ledgard, Submergence.
Worst: Gone Girl. Far from the worst pop-fic I've read, but it's the closest I came to tossing a book aside. Ruocco, Another Governess/The Least Blacksmith. Experimental fiction is a gamble. Nothing worth making GBS threads on, but it wasn't my cup of tea.
Longest: The Count, 1243. That and Suttree took up some sizable swaths of the year.
Regrets: None, really. Netflix might apply here.

Anyway, back to business. The Millions' fantastic biannual preview is up:
http://www.themillions.com/2015/01/most-anticipated-the-great-2015-book-preview.html

I haven't combed through the whole thing yet (I tend to do that when it hits a new month), but right now I'm looking forward to Miranda July next week and Tom McCarthy next month.