Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wzm
Dec 12, 2004
I've met someone who was involved in moving Russian planes into the US in the early 1990s, I think mostly Sukhoi su-26 and Yak 55 style aircraft, but some Wilgas, old MiGs, and other stuff. He said that all of them had intentionally small fuel tanks so no one could defect, and since I heard that, I always check the range when I look up specs on Russian planes. The An-3 had a 300 nm range.

Supposedly the An-3 was part of the tightening up of the rules around experimental-exhibition category planes, someone brought a load of An-3s into the US to be skydiving planes, and the FAA got nervous about the idea of having a ton of ancient Russian stuff carrying passengers and became more strict about what was written into experimental letters of authorization.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
random internet find

https://i.imgur.com/r2KbQbM.mp4

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I can't believe they ran the stop sign like that

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

wzm posted:

I've met someone who was involved in moving Russian planes into the US in the early 1990s, I think mostly Sukhoi su-26 and Yak 55 style aircraft, but some Wilgas, old MiGs, and other stuff. He said that all of them had intentionally small fuel tanks so no one could defect, and since I heard that, I always check the range when I look up specs on Russian planes. The An-3 had a 300 nm range.

Supposedly the An-3 was part of the tightening up of the rules around experimental-exhibition category planes, someone brought a load of An-3s into the US to be skydiving planes, and the FAA got nervous about the idea of having a ton of ancient Russian stuff carrying passengers and became more strict about what was written into experimental letters of authorization.

Honestly though is it really that dangerous? There's a fuckton of An-2s that are or were operating, and honestly not so many fatal accidents considering the roles the aircraft was put into.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Did someone say AN-2?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

This one was parked at Geneseo in 1998.

If you look closely, you can see the bucket wired under the missing can. The piston was just...hanging down in the bucket, which had a couple quarts of black gold in it.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
whoops wrong thread

Plinkey fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Aug 8, 2020

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy

Murgos posted:

Apparently the USAF resurrected a couple of OV-10 Broncos and have been using them in Syria. According to the bronco Wikipedia page anyway.

The OV-10 is a turbine twin! The c208 is a turbine single! My argument was that that Northrop abomination was an idiotic ISR platform because in manned configuration it’s a piston single, and a lovely drone because it has double the frontal area required of an unmanned aircraft.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

PT6A posted:

Honestly though is it really that dangerous? There's a fuckton of An-2s that are or were operating, and honestly not so many fatal accidents considering the roles the aircraft was put into.

Quite a few of the accidents in the Soviet Transports list for the An-2 involve alcohol. Though that's probably less than surprising.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

LibCrusher posted:

The OV-10 is a turbine twin! The c208 is a turbine single! My argument was that that Northrop abomination was an idiotic ISR platform because in manned configuration it’s a piston single, and a lovely drone because it has double the frontal area required of an unmanned aircraft.

And my argument was that it doesn't matter.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Is there any way to see past flights of drones going around in circles?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

RandomPauI posted:

Is there any way to see past flights of drones going around in circles?

If they're in Class A airspace they're squawking.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Is it wrong that I kinda wanted the bomb bay to be open with someone doing a super-cliched "shocker, brah!" through it during the slo-mo part? :ohdear:

Also, this seems like a good way to solve a problem: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.popularmechanics.com/military/research/amp33547925/hypersonic-air-force-one-combined-cycle-engine/

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Aug 8, 2020

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
The AN2 I saw last at Oshkosh had a couple cases of oil in the back.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Lightbulb Out posted:

The AN2 I saw last at Oshkosh had a couple cases of oil in the back.

That’s not a Russian thing, that’s a radial thing.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

Bat bombs were an experimental World War II weapon developed by the United States. The bomb consisted of a bomb-shaped casing with over a thousand compartments, each containing a hibernating Mexican free-tailed bat with a small, timed incendiary bomb attached. Dropped from a bomber at dawn, the casings would deploy a parachute in mid-flight and open to release the bats, which would then disperse and roost in eaves and attics in a 20–40-mile radius (32–64 km). The incendiaries, which were set on timers, would then ignite and start fires in inaccessible places in the largely wood and paper constructions of the Japanese cities that were the weapon's intended target.

A series of tests to answer various operational questions were conducted. In one incident, the Carlsbad Army Airfield Auxiliary Air Base (32°15′39″N 104°13′45″W) near Carlsbad, New Mexico, was set on fire on May 15, 1943, when armed bats were accidentally released.[7] The bats roosted under a fuel tank and incinerated the test range.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bat_bomb

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
In his letter, Adams stated that the bat was the "lowest form of animal life", and that, until now, "reasons for its creation have remained unexplained".[3]:6 He went on to espouse that bats were created "by God to await this hour to play their part in the scheme of free human existence, and to frustrate any attempt of those who dare desecrate our way of life."[3]:6 Of Adams, Roosevelt remarked, "This man is not a nut. It sounds like a perfectly wild idea but is worth looking into."[1][2]
:staredog:

Obviously they didn't have access to YouTube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVz8rvIl_vY

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Batzilla the Bat is pro-tier YouTube bat rescue content
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EqUqacEows

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Flying Foxes are nature's loving little angels. They're *flying dogs*. I only ~passively~ care that they carry diseases (I actively care). Bundle one up in a blanket and let me pet it. :3:

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Flying Foxes are nature's loving little angels. They're *flying dogs*. I only ~passively~ care that they carry diseases (I actively care). Bundle one up in a blanket and let me pet it. :3:

I was kind of disturbed to find out they scream like pigs though. I saw some vet show where they untangled one from a net and it made some horrifying noises.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

david_a posted:

I was kind of disturbed to find out they scream like pigs though. I saw some vet show where they untangled one from a net and it made some horrifying noises.

They also make this noise when you pet them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVz8rvIl_vY

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I can understand being terrified of bats before modern microbiology and ubiquitous rabies vaccines.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The wings can be a little unnerving; they look a lot cuter when they're bundled up.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZB4_-tiRt0

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

quote:

See also

• Anti-tank dog
  • Explosive rat
  • Japanese Balloon Bombs
  • Military animals
  • Olga of Kiev (using "pigeons or sparrows" as offensive weapons in the 900s AD)
  • Project Pigeon

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olga_of_Kiev

This is some Game of Thrones poo poo:

quote:

After Igor's death at the hands of the Drevlians, Olga assumed the throne because her three-year-old son Svyatoslav was too young to rule. The Drevlians, emboldened by their success in ambushing and killing the king, sent a messenger to Olga proposing that she marry his murderer, Prince Mal. Twenty Drevlian negotiators boated to Kiev to pass along their king's message and to ensure Olga's compliance. They arrived in her court and told the queen why they were in Kiev: "to report that they had slain her husband...and that Olga should come and marry their Prince Mal."[14] Olga responded:

Your proposal is pleasing to me, indeed, my husband cannot rise again from the dead. But I desire to honor you tomorrow in the presence of my people. Return now to your boat, and remain there with an aspect of arrogance. I shall send for you on the morrow, and you shall say, "We will not ride on horses nor go on foot, carry us in our boat." And you shall be carried in your boat.[14]

When the Drevlians returned the next day, they waited outside Olga's court to receive the honor she had promised. When they repeated the words she had told them to say, the people of Kiev rose up, carrying the Drevlians in their boat. The ambassadors believed this was a great honor, as if they were being carried by palanquin. The people brought them into the court where they were dropped into a trench that had been dug the day before under Olga's orders where the ambassadors were buried alive. It is written that Olga bent down to watch them as they were buried and "inquired whether they found the honor to their taste."[14]

Olga then sent a message to the Drevlians that they should send "their distinguished men to her in Kiev, so that she might go to their Prince with due honor."[14] The Drevlians, unaware of the fate of the first diplomatic party, gathered another party of men to send "the best men who governed the land of Dereva."[14] When they arrived, Olga commanded her people to draw them a bath and invited the men to appear before her after they had bathed. When the Drevlians entered the bathhouse, Olga had it set on fire from the doors, so that all the Drevlians within burned to death.[14]

Olga sent another message to the Drevlians, this time ordering them to "prepare great quantities of mead in the city where you killed my husband, that I may weep over his grave and hold a funeral feast for him."[14] When Olga and a small group of attendants arrived at Igor's tomb, she did indeed weep and hold a funeral feast. The Drevlians sat down to join them and began to drink heavily. When the Drevlians were drunk, she ordered her followers to kill them, "and went about herself egging on her retinue to the massacre of the Drevlians."[14] According to the Primary Chronicle, five thousand Drevlians were killed on this night, but Olga returned to Kiev to prepare an army to finish off the survivors.

The initial conflict between the armies of the two nations went very well for the forces of Kievan Rus', who won the battle handily and drove the survivors back into their cities. Olga then led her army to Iskorosten (what is today Korosten), the city where her husband had been slain, and laid siege to the city. The siege lasted for a year without success, when Olga thought of a plan to trick the Drevlians. She sent them a message: "Why do you persist in holding out? All your cities have surrendered to me and submitted to tribute, so that the inhabitants now cultivate their fields and their lands in peace. But you had rather tide of hunger, without submitting to tribute."[15] The Drevlians responded that they would submit to tribute, but that they were afraid she was still intent on avenging her husband. Olga answered that the murder of the messengers sent to Kiev, as well as the events of the feast night, had been enough for her. She then asked them for a small request: "Give me three pigeons...and three sparrows from each house."[15] The Drevlians rejoiced at the prospect of the siege ending for so small a price, and did as she asked.

Olga then instructed her army to attach a piece of sulphur bound with small pieces of cloth to each bird. At nightfall, Olga told her soldiers to set the pieces aflame and release the birds. They returned to their nests within the city, which subsequently set the city ablaze. As the Primary Chronicle tells it: "There was not a house that was not consumed, and it was impossible to extinguish the flames, because all the houses caught fire at once."[15] As the people fled the burning city, Olga ordered her soldiers to catch them, killing some of them and giving the others as slaves to her followers. She left the remnant to pay tribute.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

hobbesmaster posted:

I can understand being terrified of bats before modern microbiology and ubiquitous rabies vaccines.

Yeah the worst they can do now is

checks notes

the greatest pandemic in a century.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Aug 9, 2020

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent
Great video but “the coast of Ethiopia” was a little bit cringey. Yes, it was Ethiopian Airlines, but Ethiopia is landlocked and the plane crashed off the coast of the Seychelles. That’s about a thousand miles from Ethiopia.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I heard a story about an air ambulance making a rescue from a large ship off the Australian coast. It was a pretty close thing as far as range went, so the decision was made to take on a modest quantity of marine diesel oil from the ship. This was of course diluted by just over half a load of jet A remaining in the tank.

I don’t think that created an immediate risk of the craft falling out of the sky, but how annoyed would the mechanic be after hearing about this?

fakeedit: It may have been this incident with a Bell 412. That newsgroup has some thoughts on the situation.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Most AFMs will specify some kind of inspection interval if you use a fuel other than regular jet-a or whatever jp- fuels normally used. At first I thought they were going to use that terrible bunker sludge ships normally use to power the main engine and that gave me the willies

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Arson Daily posted:

Most AFMs will specify some kind of inspection interval if you use a fuel other than regular jet-a or whatever jp- fuels normally used. At first I thought they were going to use that terrible bunker sludge ships normally use to power the main engine and that gave me the willies

Especially fun is the inspection interval when you've filled the tank with AVGAS to get you away from someplace without any other fuel. It's basically "you get 10-30 hours, then all your injectors are replaced."

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Yeah turbines can burn basically drat near anything that’s flammable, it’s just a matter of for how long.

fake e:
even wood
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfDr-XXuvmo

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Arson Daily posted:

The same thing went through my head, but ships have to carry lighter fuels for use in coastal water and also to fire the boilers to make steam in order to heat bunker fuel enough to get it to flow through pipes

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
You know how planes have APUs to provide air under pressure to start the main engines? Ships do that, too. They have reasonably large diesel engines to start the monster propulsion engine and to provide electrical power any time it’s not running at cruise speed.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Now I’m picturing a CAT power plant popping through a hatch in the hull with a 19th-century paddle wheel attached to it as vessel drifts along.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
Works for subs, too. Ours literally was.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Inertia starters best starters

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

slidebite posted:

coffman starters best starters

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...