Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

hogmartin posted:

Where is the G-load indicated on that HUD?

Top left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

hogmartin posted:

Where is the G-load indicated on that HUD?

Top left. I think he passes out while pulling about 7ish g's.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

Godholio posted:

It's almost immediate. Takes a couple of seconds to figure out where the gently caress you are.

It's just a few seconds for most people, but one time a few seconds felt like an eternity when I put a guy to sleep in the front seat in an Extra 300. His helmet came up and started moving around in about the normal amount of time, but he wouldn't talk to me. After maybe half a minute of trying to get him to talk back to me and getting more and more worried that some part of his brain got permanently tweaked (beyond the normal GLOC), I got an idea. Idle power and a pull up to near stall made things quiet enough that yelling at the top of my lungs could get through without the intercom. I asked for a thumbs up which he immediately gave me, then it was just talking him through finding the headset jack and plugging his cord back in, which he had knocked out as he slumped over. Oops!

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
Also "SIM" near the bottom left seems to be the Mach number.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Simspergs should have everything F-16 related covered. (and yes, thats the mach number)

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
So, airliner chat for a minute please. I'm going LAX->Beijing->Bangkok and back in a few months via Air China. Am I doomed to Saudi poo poo show status or are they an okay airline that will make me feel as nice as BA or at least United?

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

hobbesmaster posted:

Top left. I think he passes out while pulling about 7ish g's.

He topped 8.4 (there's a record-high G just to lower left of mach #) during sleepy time then pulls a 9.1 when he wakes up and sees nothing but ground.

Slo-Tek posted:

Boeing just rolled out their Saab-built T-X advanced trainer competition entrant. I was hoping they'd just enter the Gripen, but this is a rather samey-looking new build.

http://www.boeing.com/defense/t-x

Not bad, I won't mind if they build a couple thousand of them in town.

Yeah that's a pretty hot looking little plane they built there.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Apparently the reason why Saab is in on this project is that the Swedish Air Force desperately needs a more appropriate lead-in trainer to the Gripen NG than the ancient Saab SK.60.

Also, I have been told from on high that the Auto-GCAS video In posted earlier was actually the fourth activation of the system, jus the first they released video from.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
That is stated in the article.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

MrChips posted:

Also, I have been told from on high that the Auto-GCAS video In posted earlier was actually the fourth activation of the system, jus the first they released video from.

What's new about this system? I remember seeing things like it on Discovery Wings growing up in the 90s.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

vessbot posted:

What's new about this system? I remember seeing things like it on Discovery Wings growing up in the 90s.

Based on my extensive sperg sim F-16 experience - none of them were automatic except for the terrain following radar that has a tendency to crash you or your wingman into the ground.

I suspect the crashing due to lag spikes part is not in the real F-16.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
All of the GCAS systems I've worked on aren't really coupled to the flight controls outside of a stick-shaker or similar. The fact that this is fully autonomous and coupled, and knows enough to put you back into a level climb is boss as gently caress.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

MrChips posted:

Apparently the reason why Saab is in on this project is that the Swedish Air Force desperately needs a more appropriate lead-in trainer to the Gripen NG than the ancient Saab SK.60.
The Swedish air force does need a new trainer (the Sk 60 airframes were manufactured in the late 60's and early 70's), but Saab also desperately needs a new customer that isn't the Swedish air force if they want to keep their aircraft division alive in the future.

People are already questioning why we're about to replace the Gripen C fleet when the average airframe age is seven (7) years, and one of the reasons is that Saab needs projects to keep themselves busy with if they're going to maintain that institutional knowledge they've built up over the last seventy years. Also, having an aircraft manufacturing plant that isn't actually manufacturing aircraft is very expensive and deliveries have already been artificially slowed down as much as they can be.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Sep 14, 2016

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I'm thinking space or spent booster/rocket debris personally.

Dead Jedi
Oct 25, 2010

I often see these afterburner shots and they have these non-continuous, ghosted flame effects.

What's the science here? Are these waves, moving backwards? Are they steady in relation to the aircraft?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Dead Jedi posted:

I often see these afterburner shots and they have these non-continuous, ghosted flame effects.

What's the science here? Are these waves, moving backwards? Are they steady in relation to the aircraft?

You mean shock diamonds?

I don’t know that I’ve ever seen a really good video of them in flight. They’re static on the test stand, and presumably in cruise, but I couldn’t say how much they move under throttle and manœuvres.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Sep 14, 2016

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

MrChips posted:

And my favourite pic from this sequence:

How is the tarmac not completely destroyed?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

slidebite posted:

I'm thinking space or spent booster/rocket debris personally.

That could be; at this point we're just looking at aerospace-y junk we find in the Indian ocean.

Oh BTW, asked my dad (who was in Air Traffic control and working during 9/11) about clearing the skies on 9/11. He said that ATC had a contingency plan for clearing the skies (it does sound like a 'in case of war" plan) and they used that. Apparently Gander had parking space for up to 56 airliners.

Nobdy
Apr 12, 2004
LOLLERZ LOLLERZ LOLLERZ LOLLERZ
The pattern of shocks is created by the under-expanded jet leaving the nozzle, and should be pretty well fixed by the geometry of the nozzle itself (which should change with throttle position to optimize thrust and maintain close to the same pattern). They'll "bend" a little if the plane is executing a high-G maneuver, but that flow is like mach 12 so it's going to adjust much more rapidly than the plane.

This is only based on my admittedly limited understanding of compressible flow physics. Someone should definitely do some night shots of fast jets on full afterburner doing high-G turns to confirm.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

Dannywilson posted:

All of the GCAS systems I've worked on aren't really coupled to the flight controls outside of a stick-shaker or similar. The fact that this is fully autonomous and coupled, and knows enough to put you back into a level climb is boss as gently caress.

What I don't understand is that this particular aircraft was inverted, so the radar altimeter was blank when it was diving towards the ground. The altitude on the right scale is above sea level, I assume, which is why these two readouts are so different.

So the system would automatically calculate the terrain height, even when it looses a ground reference? If so, THAT'S FANCY!

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Nobdy posted:

This is only based on my admittedly limited understanding of compressible flow physics. Someone should definitely do some night shots of fast jets on full afterburner doing high-G turns to confirm.

Yeah...to confirm...:stwoon:

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

0toShifty posted:

What I don't understand is that this particular aircraft was inverted, so the radar altimeter was blank when it was diving towards the ground. The altitude on the right scale is above sea level, I assume, which is why these two readouts are so different.

So the system would automatically calculate the terrain height, even when it looses a ground reference? If so, THAT'S FANCY!

If it knows your MSL and geographic position, and has a terrain database to compare against, that's all the info needed. Just like civilian EGPWS.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

https://youtu.be/KeGidtk6t2Y

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Nebakenezzer posted:

That could be; at this point we're just looking at aerospace-y junk we find in the Indian ocean.

Oh BTW, asked my dad (who was in Air Traffic control and working during 9/11) about clearing the skies on 9/11. He said that ATC had a contingency plan for clearing the skies (it does sound like a 'in case of war" plan) and they used that. Apparently Gander had parking space for up to 56 airliners.

Yup, it was called SCATANA (Security Control of Air Traffic and Air Navigation Aids) back in those days; now it's known as ESCAT (Emergency Security Control of Air Traffic), and is a far more flexible plan to implement. SCATANA was a national plan intended to be applied in the event of WWIII kicking off and needing to land a pile of civilian airliners so they get vapourised on the ramp to clear the air for combat operations and power down the airway system, while ESCAT less "all or nothing", from what I gather.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
speaking of afterburners, this is some of the best footage of the business end of one I've ever seen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBE41A9VT3Q&t=65s

(and a lot of photo nerds probably agree with me judging by the sound of all the camera shutters going off when it lights up)

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Just thought I'd share this gem from Hacker News, talking about the F16 automated recovery:

quote:

"What would be really useful would be a way for controllers on the ground (not ATCs) or in chase planes to assume control of airliners performing erratically, not responding to calls from ATC, air defense fighters, or their corporate offices. THAT could have averted the Germanwings crash and the 9/11 collisions without the need for highly classified hardware in every airliner."
this comment really resonated with me. we have the tech for this right now, we had it 10 years ago too... remote piloting drones is now a completely day-to-day occurance. you could argue we had it down "well enough" in the 80s even
someone somewhere should be pushing for this. i'd never thought of it before, but now i've seen this comment i'm wondering why we don't have this sort of thing. especially in light of 9/11...

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Ironic that someone from Hacker News would be confused why remote controlled airplanes aren't a stellar idea.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I would not be surprised to learn that Boeing and Airbus were already working on something similar to integrate into an autopilot. I guess that wouldn't prevent a pilot-guided 9/11 though.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

TheFluff posted:

speaking of afterburners, this is some of the best footage of the business end of one I've ever seen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBE41A9VT3Q&t=65s

(and a lot of photo nerds probably agree with me judging by the sound of all the camera shutters going off when it lights up)

Was it the Swedish Air Force that had that mishap where a fighter set a bunch of people who were spectating at the end of the runway on fire? I think the accident report got posted either here or in the cold war thread.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Godholio posted:

Ironic that someone from Hacker News would be confused why remote controlled airplanes aren't a stellar idea.
Yeah this. Actual IT companies have a hard enough time with infosec.

PittTheElder posted:

I would not be surprised to learn that Boeing and Airbus were already working on something similar to integrate into an autopilot. I guess that wouldn't prevent a pilot-guided 9/11 though.
The whole point is to override a malicious pilot. Th[ problem is it would also work to put any random plane into the ground.

It'd be good if limited to a "land at closest ALS" kind of deal.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Sep 15, 2016

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

aphid_licker posted:

Was it the Swedish Air Force that had that mishap where a fighter set a bunch of people who were spectating at the end of the runway on fire? I think the accident report got posted either here or in the cold war thread.

Yep, here it is in English.

You also remember correctly that I've posted it and some choice quotes from it in this thread a while ago.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Nothing stopping it being disabled either, so what's the point?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Maybe we can tie it in to the in-flight entertainment system.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Colonial Air Force posted:

Maybe we can tie it in to the in-flight entertainment system.

Passengers, vote on whether we should pull up!

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Little Timmy had been a gamer all his little life. Now he has to safe what little might be left of it...by gaming this airliner safely down to the ground.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

TheFluff posted:

Yep, here it is in English.

You also remember correctly that I've posted it and some choice quotes from it in this thread a while ago.

I was in a pretty bad mood all day until I read this.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Godholio posted:

Not that ironic, hacker news is mostly idiot brogrammers trying to suck funding out of VC dick.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I'm not going to get any work done in this hotel room with a view like this.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Hot drat that's a nice view :stare:

Where is that?

marumaru fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Sep 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
2 in 2 out every few mins.