Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

someone came out for a bit of fresh air today!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

The Locator posted:

I autocross on the same ramp with 6 of those.

Maybe parts planes? Beechcraft bought most of them back, theres only a handfull still flying.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Geizkragen posted:

Yeah, not all of them are Mode C capable either, and I'm pretty sure TCAS needs altitude reporting.

It only needs Altitude for Resolution Advisories, otherwise it will still track the intruder with or without altitude

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

The Locator posted:

I autocross on the same ramp with 6 of those.

Would that be on the ramp at Marana, AZ?

I'm asking because there are several Starships parked there, and they're indeed being used for parts.

When Raytheon scrapped the Starships at Pinal (about 20 miles north of Marana), there were a few owners who refused to sell their airplanes, and the company doing the scrapping sold them those airframes to cannibalize for spares.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

Linedance posted:

someone came out for a bit of fresh air today!

Is that the one they're restoring to airworthiness for the olympics?

When is it scheduled to fly?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

The Ferret King posted:

Non transponder aircraft are allowed in Class D and E airspace, which are controlled. Class E airspace makes up a good chunk of all airspace in the US.

You're right, I typically just lump Class E under "uncontrolled" because a lot of traffic isn't receiving advisory information.

With the exception of the east coast, I think about half the non-air route traffic I've seen was not squawking. The east coast is such a loving mess.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
As a terminal radar controller, I've issued plenty of non-squawking traffic to pilots and have been met by shock and amazement at times, because it turned out to be some biplane or crop duster at their altitude.

Hell, on my private pilot check ride, we nearly hit a Mooney who wasn't squawking. We had flight following and the traffic was called, which helped us out a lot. I was under the hood at the time, the examiner saw him.

Non transponder aircraft can be very difficult to notice on radar, and there are butt loads of false targets.

I dunno what my point it really. TCAS is great but let's all keep our eyes out the window too!

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

The Ferret King posted:

Non transponder aircraft can be very difficult to notice on radar, and there are butt loads of false targets.

Finding the real + or . on a busy day doesn't seem easy.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

The Ferret King posted:

Hell, on my private pilot check ride, we nearly hit a Mooney who wasn't squawking.
:{ Sorry bro I forgot the switch!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
We don't get a lot of issues with TCAS on the C-130H, but when we do, its usually the tower isn't seeing them, they land....and we wipe down the antennas, suddenly it works again and life is good.

Every now and then its a bad IFF transponder though (IFF Controls our TCAS modes for us)

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

D C posted:

Maybe parts planes? Beechcraft bought most of them back, theres only a handfull still flying.

Yes, they are parts planes for a rich guy who wants to keep his flying (or at least that's the story I was told).

azflyboy posted:

Would that be on the ramp at Marana, AZ?

I'm asking because there are several Starships parked there, and they're indeed being used for parts.

Those are the ones. There are six of them there, the engines have all been removed, but they are still pretty.

Ruse
Dec 16, 2005

Gentlemen, let's broaden our minds!
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=a9f_1335390665

A P-3 entering the eye of a hurricane. Look at those gauges sway as they enter. :aaa:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Ruse posted:

A P-3 entering the eye of a hurricane. Look at those gauges sway as they enter. :aaa:

See the co-pilot jump out of his seat....wow.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Advent Horizon posted:

Oh wow, are they? I hadn't heard about that! :dance: a flyover of Stratford for the opening ceremonies would be awesome!

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Ruse posted:

Cool cassette tape drives.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Ruse posted:

Holy poo poo my job is boring.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Geizkragen posted:

I tried to read the whole thread but skipped that last 2K posts or so...

http://vimeo.com/40935850

Pretty good video for a bunch of C-driving assholes...(I would kill to get that job in Kadena)

Is there ANYWHERE you cant stick a go pro?

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

fknlo posted:

Finding the real + or . on a busy day doesn't seem easy.

On the terminal ARTS IIE system (round green scope with the sweep) it would actually put a small digital diamond target over primaries it thought were aircraft.

My current facility has STARS (rectangular display, color, no sweep) and it doesn't tag primaries at all. They're just small dark blue blips that move around slowly against a black background. I've often wondered about the reasoning behind making them less noticeable on the newer equipment.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Advent Horizon posted:

I remember hearing something about it, but promptly forgot. They're actually doing it then? That'll be awesome. I hope it's subsidized somehow or some poor charity is going to go broke feeding the old girl.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Here are a couple of Goon RivuletsofGlop's photos from his time at Mildenhall in the 80s. Because he's too loving lazy to post them himself. I even scanned the damned things for him & everything. Of course, he couldn't be bothered to give me the negatives, so the quality sucks.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

slidebite posted:

I remember hearing something about it, but promptly forgot. They're actually doing it then? That'll be awesome. I hope it's subsidized somehow or some poor charity is going to go broke feeding the old girl.

I've spoken to some of my colleagues at about it and nobody so far has heard this rumour. One of them doesn't believe BA would be able to get the aircraft into an airworthy condition in time, but then who knows how long they've been working on that if the rumour is true.
I'll keep my ear to the ground.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

PainterofCrap posted:

Here are a couple of Goon RivuletsofGlop's photos from his time at Mildenhall in the 80s. Because he's too loving lazy to post them himself. I even scanned the damned things for him & everything. Of course, he couldn't be bothered to give me the negatives, so the quality sucks.

It's a shame that only one of these birds is flying right now (probably in the desert) and it ain't the Blackbird.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
From a friend that works at JFK (landed earlier today).

Alpine Mustache
Jul 11, 2000

Romes128 posted:

From a friend that works at JFK (landed earlier today).

I snapped a bunch when it flew up and down the hudson river. Was fortunate enough to have access to the top floor and the roof of the office building I was in.. For the first pass we were inside since it was windy as gently caress and we figured it would go up the river. But no, it went RIGHT OVER OUR BUILDING. For the return pass we all went up on the roof.
Here's a couple of the best ones, cropped to show the SCA and not a bunch of clouds.

Links to a couple fullsized ones. Chase plane visible in some:
http://biggy.backslider.net/IMG_0400.JPG
http://biggy.backslider.net/IMG_0418.JPG
http://biggy.backslider.net/IMG_0419.JPG
http://biggy.backslider.net/IMG_0420.JPG
http://biggy.backslider.net/IMG_0421.JPG

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Fantastic pics, thanks. Good to see Enterprise in the air again for the first time in almost 30 years.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Somehow I've wound up spending the last hour checking out the west coast on Google Maps with satellite images. Look what I found at Edwards AFB:

e: Nellis has a few of them, along with some fighters in modern camo patterns.

angryhampster fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Apr 28, 2012

Mr.Peabody
Jul 15, 2009
Has anyone else seen this news report that they've found as many as 20 of the rare Mark XIV Spitfires with the Rolls Royce Griffon engines in mint condition that were ordered, delivered in crates, and promptly buried in Burma. Awesome.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
Yes I did see that last week - if it's true then Hell, what a find! Wonder how much they want for one?!

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

angryhampster posted:

Somehow I've wound up spending the last hour checking out the west coast on Google Maps with satellite images. Look what I found at Edwards AFB:

e: Nellis has a few of them, along with some fighters in modern camo patterns.

What one are we looking at here?

Nellis looks like its pictures were taken during a flag. The Tornados and E-3/E-8/RJ are a dead giveaway.

Also, I am laughing my rear end off that 83-0008, the AWACS that crash landed a few years ago, is still parked there, still scorched. They're not gonna fix it, but I figured it'd be in at least partial disassembly, or in a hangar.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Godholio posted:

Bottom, from left to right:

Something Rutan-ish
B-25
B1 money pit
C-5?
DC-3/C-47

Top:

Harrier? and an F-14?

(edit) that's a Marauder? That greenhouse don't look right...

(edit2) I'm going blind...Invader... and also note the dihedral in the horizontal stabilizer

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Apr 28, 2012

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

PainterofCrap posted:

Harrier? and an F-14?

Don't think it's a harrier, the intake looks more like a corsair to me.

e: given the camo, I'd personally guess it to be one of edwards' YA-7F Strikefighters prototypes

SybilVimes fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Apr 28, 2012

MagnumHB
Jan 19, 2003
Not quite. See this page for more details, but the ones you missed on the bottom are B-26 instead of B-25, and C-141 instead of C-5, and the top two are an A-7 and F-111.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Godholio posted:

Nellis looks like its pictures were taken during a flag. The Tornados and E-3/E-8/RJ are a dead giveaway.

Also, I am laughing my rear end off that 83-0008, the AWACS that crash landed a few years ago, is still parked there, still scorched. They're not gonna fix it, but I figured it'd be in at least partial disassembly, or in a hangar.

Also the Growlers. That AWACS and the J-STARS that's stuck over in the desert make me laugh every time I think about them.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Godholio posted:

The B-1. I've always been fascinated by them.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Stole this from George Takei's facebook:

:lol:

azazello
Dec 26, 2008

Geizkragen posted:

I tried to read the whole thread but skipped that last 2K posts or so...

http://vimeo.com/40935850

Pretty good video for a bunch of C-driving assholes...(I would kill to get that job in Kadena)

I keep watching this video, can't get enough of it. Really interesting terminology in the radio chatter, too. I wonder if there's a glossary somewhere that could help me understand better...

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

azazello posted:

I keep watching this video, can't get enough of it. Really interesting terminology in the radio chatter, too. I wonder if there's a glossary somewhere that could help me understand better...

Almost all of the words/phrases used were brevity codes.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

That's the first video I've seen like that which doesn't edit out the C2 chatter. Also, it's AF, which is slightly different from Navy.

The main ones you'll hear are:

BRAA: bearing/range/altitude/aspect angle.
Hostile: The target has been positively ID'd as an enemy and engagement is authorized in accordance with theater ROE (a hostile doesn't automatically mean you can shoot it, but it has to be hostile to shoot at).
Stacked: Within a group (enemy aircraft within 3 miles of each other), there's a significant altitude difference. I think in this video there's a stack of 42k and 36k. The guy at 42k can shoot a longer range, simply because he's higher. It's a cue for the F-15 guy, who might have his soda-straw radar looking only at the lower dude.
Fox #: different numbers mean different types of missiles. 3 is active radar missile (ie, AMRAAM), 2 is IR (Sidewinder).
Reference: They're turning to that heading.
Pitbull: The AMRAAM's radar is locked onto the target and the target is about to be hosed.

A sample call would be: "Cock 01, group BRAA 270/30/32,000, (hot) hostile." Technically hot is assumed unless another direction (like "drag" or pointing away) was specified so it would be left out.

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Get that booze monkey off my back!
We've really standardized a lot in the cockpit, it's pretty seamless working with E2, or E3 and flying with 15s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

The differences are very minor, agreed. I only even brought it up because of the aspect angle, which is treated differently (specifically from 18s to 15s).