Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

iyaayas01 posted:

Given the description of the landing (I've seen reports that the plane was within feet of running out of runway surface) and the fact that they had to burn off fuel to get down to a weight to be able to get back out of there safely...the crew just done hosed up. As for the high security, rumor is that the jet had Mattis on board...you know, USMC four star general James Mattis, CENTCOM Commander type.

Ok, well, that's hilarious then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Get that booze monkey off my back!

iyaayas01 posted:

Given the description of the landing (I've seen reports that the plane was within feet of running out of runway surface) and the fact that they had to burn off fuel to get down to a weight to be able to get back out of there safely...the crew just done hosed up. As for the high security, rumor is that the jet had Mattis on board...you know, USMC four star general James Mattis, CENTCOM Commander type.

Depending on what's going on at CENTCOM, there are times when you just can't land there. Like, you will get threatened with violence if you try to land there (even if you are a Navy jet with a no poo poo get on deck emergency diverting from Key West you will get told to turn the gently caress around or go to Homestead...). It's entirely possible that they weren't taking any traffic there, somebody/something very, very important was on board and needed to get on deck and the pilot said "I can make this happen" and just did it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

VikingSkull posted:

C-17 lands at the wrong airport.

Uh, Mr. Civilian Pilot, I watch C-17's do combat approaches and short field landings every day. You're a pilot though, so you're the expert!

Yeah.....they practice short field landings a LOT, where is he getting this? Almost all cargo aircraft (C-130, C-17, etc.) practice STOL

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Geizkragen posted:

Well, at least he didn't go offroading at the end. Goddamn that's going to be embarrassing for that crew though.

Other "that doesn't go there" stories:

I had a buddy who watched the tower at NAB Fallon wave off a Marine Hornet who was attempting to land on the taxiway next to the long parallels. There was a section of F-5s taxiing to the active at the time. Only time I've heard of tower saving someone's rear end in Fallon.

Then there's this guy:
http://www.helsinkitimes.fi/htimes2/domestic-news/general/14001-finnish-fighter-pilot-ejects-after-landing-on-taxiway-.html

This poor bastard was a relatively brand new pilot at the time (less than 200 hours) and was really inexperienced with NVGs. So the Finns decide a couple years ago to practice these lights-out NVG landings. Wing had never seen it done, and although lead had done it a few times, he didn't brief the poor bastard at all on what to expect. For safety reasons, when they did these NVG landings only the runway lights would be turned off and all the remaining airfield lights were still on. During the approach (IFR, in a snow storm...with NVGs on*) Lead breaks out, kisses off the wingman and doesn't think anything more about it. Wing stops sucking wingtip just in time to look up and see...the taxiway lights. Lead rolls out on the nice 8k'+ runway, pops his goggles off, and looks up just in time to see the seat rockets fire off.

Poor bastard landed on a 3k'x75' taxiway, was puzzled as to why there was a giant white wall in front of him (plowed snow bank) and pulled the ejection handle.

So many things wrong with this flight, from conception to brief to execution.

*for those who are wondering, with the complete loss of peripheral vision and depth perception, flying in precip or IFR with NVGs is loving hard, especially if you're not laser focused on your HUD. Given his experience level and the conditions, this kid probably had some serious spatial D issues to fight through in addition to dealing with the normal stresses of flying close formation while trying to do checklists and think of all the poo poo you're supposed to be doing when you're by yourself, at night, with that little experience.

You might be surprised how common this is. Lining up on the wrong runway/taxuway/runway edge occurs several times a week, according to the occurrence reporting system here in Canada. Virtually all the time, someone notices something is amiss and either corrects the situation or initiates a missed approach and tries again. As you can expect, once in a while, nobody picks up on the mistake and ends up landing on a taxiway, or smoking a few hundred feet of runway and taxiway lighting.

As for landing at the wrong airport, it's nowhere near as hard as you might expect it to be. I remember a few years ago flying into Great Falls, Montana, we cancelled IFR and descended visually toward what we thought was Great Falls International; turns out, we were heading to Malmstrom AFB instead. We were a long ways off still so there was no issue, but it goes to show that similar airport layouts, combined with unfamiliar surroundings can lead to winding up at the wrong airport.

MrChips fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jul 21, 2012

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

VikingSkull posted:

e- also the past couple of days I've seen a largish jet, dunno the type, in all white with no number land at Stewart. Have no idea what it was! I want to say it was two under wing engines, but the all white scheme threw me and I was focused on the tail because of the lack of numbers on it.

Probably this guy. They do practice landings all over, a lot here at the Global Transpark in Kinston.

Bonus video that incorrectly says it belongs to the CIA

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

ApathyGifted posted:

Probably this guy. They do practice landings all over, a lot here at the Global Transpark in Kinston.

Wow, yeah, that probably is it. Thanks!

e- Yeah, the clickthrough to airliners.net has a pic of it at Rochester on July 11th, that has to be the same plane.

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jul 22, 2012

Beerios
May 9, 2006

by T. Mascis
Ugh, why would anyone think it's a CIA plane? That's what shell corporations are for!

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

Beerios posted:

Ugh, why would anyone think it's a CIA plane? That's what shell corporations are for!

Coincidentally, a 737 owned by a CIA shell corporation was apparently temporarily housed here in Kinston. It was used for transporting prisoners, dubbed "torture flights." With that story running around, it's easy to see why a completely unmarked plane would draw that conclusion.

We also regularly get practice landings from F-15E's, V-22's, C-130's, KC-135's, and what I think is a C-123. Also, occasionally one of the VC-25's. And four times, an Antonov 124 to carry some A350 center fuselages for Spirit Aero (same company that sends 737 fuselages by train).

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Beerios posted:

There was a unmarked C-130 at a certain airbase that was whitewashed, had multiple NVIS cameras on the outside and multiple satellite antennas. We were told that if our aircraft or theirs bumped into ours, we were to ignore it and claim it was weather damaged :tinfoil:

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jul 22, 2012

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

ApathyGifted posted:

It's obviously transporting dissidents to FEMA camps.

Beerios
May 9, 2006

by T. Mascis

CommieGIR posted:

There was a unmarked C-130 at a certain airbase that was whitewashed, had multiple NVIS cameras on the outside and multiple satellite antennas. We were told that if our aircraft or theirs bumped into ours, we were to ignore it and claim it was weather damaged :tinfoil:

Really, at this point it doesn't even matter what line item the money came from or who "owns" it.

Beerios fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jul 22, 2012

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Geizkragen posted:

Depending on what's going on at CENTCOM, there are times when you just can't land there. Like, you will get threatened with violence if you try to land there (even if you are a Navy jet with a no poo poo get on deck emergency diverting from Key West you will get told to turn the gently caress around or go to Homestead...). It's entirely possible that they weren't taking any traffic there, somebody/something very, very important was on board and needed to get on deck and the pilot said "I can make this happen" and just did it.
I doubt it was that; if some brass had to get to CENTCOM but not land at McDill, TPA is right down Dale Mabry and can actually handle a 747 (and presumably a C-17).

A silly mistake but nobody died and they can use the plane again too!

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

The vast majority of unmarked passenger planes you see around are private charters (for sports teams and large businesses, like oil companies) or foreign government heads of state transports... often 'prince planes' from the middle east.

When the CIA needs to move poo poo, they more often than not use the same drat charter flights as any other government agency.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Revolvyerom
Nov 12, 2005

Hell yes, tell him we're plenty front right now.

iyaayas01 posted:

As for the high security, rumor is that the jet had Mattis on board...you know, USMC four star general James Mattis, CENTCOM Commander type.
Wow, if there was ever a flight not to gently caress up...

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Friend posted this on Facebook. The sound's useless, unfortunately, it's just an awful soundtrack, but it's supposedly a CH-53 that looks to be recovering a Chinook, but the the load starts oscillating on them and they cut it loose:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qQlV5S1kMs

Anyone know more?

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES
Anyone ever see the planes with the red stripes that fly in and out of Vegas daily with no markings that take workers to area 51?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

OptimusMatrix posted:

Anyone ever see the planes with the red stripes that fly in and out of Vegas daily with no markings that take workers to area 51?

JANET (Just Another Non Existent Terminal)

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Is anyone heading to Thunder Over Michigan this year? I'm taking my daughter for some airplane bonding time. Fifi will be there, and a whole bunch of Mustangs, and a Sea Harrier! :v:

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Man, I need to pay more attention. Took me a while to spot it in all the grain and spray.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Slung Blade posted:

Man, I need to pay more attention. Took me a while to spot it in all the grain and spray.

Yeah, its a little easier to spot in the mega version. http://i.imgur.com/qxuI4.jpg

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Is anyone heading to Thunder Over Michigan this year? I'm taking my daughter for some airplane bonding time. Fifi will be there, and a whole bunch of Mustangs, and a Sea Harrier! :v:
You lucky bastard.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
This weekend is the Elmendorf AFB airshow. I get to field all sorts of asinine questions from the general public regarding the E-3 Sentry.

Seriously debating mislabeling the retractable lights as "chemtrail nozzles". Something real subtle.

Octoduck
Feb 8, 2006

Rudy had heart,
but he still sucked.

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

We should have a couple of Hornets heading that way.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Boomer The Cannon posted:

You lucky bastard.

I'll make sure to shoot a bunch of pictures. I can't guarantee that some or all won't also include a super stoked two year old smiling her fool head off and yelling about AIRPANES!

Octoduck posted:

We should have a couple of Hornets heading that way.

Oh yeah? I didn't know there would be Hornets there. Out of where, Pacifica?

HeyEng posted:

Seriously debating mislabeling the retractable lights as "chemtrail nozzles". Something real subtle.

Please do this and report back.

CroatianAlzheimers fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jul 24, 2012

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

HeyEng posted:

This weekend is the Elmendorf AFB airshow. I get to field all sorts of asinine questions from the general public regarding the E-3 Sentry.

The pods on the sides carry missiles for killing babies.

And I'm debating even going...traffic is going to be a pain in the rear end, and honestly with the loving Flag in August this is gonna be the last weekend I have stress-free for awhile. At least the airshow means no participants are getting here over the weekend like usual.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
Anybody got Oshkosh plans this year? I won't make it up, but I always like pictures.

There isn't anything I'm especially desperate to see on the program, but still a solidly good time with more airplanes than you'll see anywhere else, ever. Also, bratwursts.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
Yes, I'm going saturday.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

OptimusMatrix posted:

I took a Cessna 172 to Tonopah, NV a few months ago, and since the airport sits right on the edge the border of the Nellis test range (which contains Area 51), I got to hear some of the Janet flights going into what I'm pretty sure was Area 51.

After leaving Vegas (and for a few minutes after entering the restricted area), the Janet flights talk to ATC like any other airplane would, but neither the flight crew nor ATC ever say the name of where they're landing, with ATC not even saying the runway number when they cleared a Janet flight for the approach. Once the aircraft got past a certain point in the approach, they would be told to contact another controller (presumably at Groom Lake), at which point they essentially disappear from radio contact until they head back to Vegas

Since Area 51 isn't shown at all on civilian aeronautical charts (and the other airports within the test range are listed normally), I'm guessing that's where those flights were actually going.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Slo-Tek posted:

Anybody got Oshkosh plans this year? I won't make it up, but I always like pictures.

Driving up there tonight for the night show. Got a buddy with a camp site. Bringing plenty of beer and grillables. Should be fun.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

HeyEng posted:

Yes. Do this.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Just watched James Mays Big Idea : come fly with me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9tElz3yqCI

Pretty good watch

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Preoptopus posted:

Just watched James Mays Big Idea : come fly with me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9tElz3yqCI

Pretty good watch

Wish I could say the same, but I just watched Red Tails. . . :negative:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I snapped this picture at a wedding last weekend:

Wedding hanger by camerazn, on Flickr

For the life of me, I can't figure out what model airplane that is. Any ideas?

Bugsmasher
May 3, 2004

Looks like a T-6 Texan/Harvard.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_T-6_Texan

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Makes sense: the wedding was in Paris, TX.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Just got back from EAA, my feet are killing me. It was pretty quiet I would say but it was only a Tuesday....Good to see Old Crow still flying and my god does Duggy need a face lift. It was my first camping experience there and I must say its insane. Sadley my phone died and I forgot my charger so I hope some of you got some pictures.

Now I'm all fired and up and watching this documentary on Rolls Royce engines. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfomloUg2Gw

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jul 26, 2012

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

HeyEng posted:

The deployable dome is always fun. If you ever get to fly a fam ride for anyone , you can really get them to buy into it. Have everyone strap in, seat belt light on, dirty up the jet for a few seconds during the "launch" and "recovery" and get an AWO to drive a sim-over-live dot and say it's the dome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.
This guy is bloody crackers :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qM7ksfRVF70

Running a rescued RB211 from a TriStar. In his back garden. (without a FOD guard)