Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
Several months ago I went to the Experimental Aircraft Association in Osh Kosh, WI, and I took a good number of pictures, I can post some up if there is any interest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suburban wine mom
May 27, 2004

I went looking for a photo of a B-52 scramble drill that was black and white and taken between 1952 and 1980. It had some men running to their plane in a Cold War drill. I could not find the photo but I found something just as good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJ7niLYSVFo

The mightiest of bombers. The B-52. When the USAF gets ride of the last one from active duty I will be an old man. Godspeed most noble of bombers!

DiscoDickTease
Mar 19, 2009

Hi, boys and girls, I'm Jimmy Carl Black, and I'm the Indian of the group!

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

my favorite exhibit at the royal canadian whatever in ontario a few years ago.

lancaster bomber. still flying. one of 2 in the world.

yes those pans on the floor were catching leaking oil from the engines. it was made in england, you know.

ARRR! That be the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum in Mount Hope, Ontario! I tend to go every year on Fathers Day to watch 'em all gently caress around. I love the sound and the smell of that 100LL exhaust fumes.

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.

Preoptopus posted:

You guys have a plane thread and havnt mentioned crazy Russian awesomeness yet?
Anatov 225

The An-225 sees a lot of use despite being a one-off design. It's been supplying Coalition forces in Afghanistan and has recently been involved in the Haiti airlift.

DiscoDickTease posted:

ARRR! That be the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum in Mount Hope, Ontario! I tend to go every year on Fathers Day to watch 'em all gently caress around. I love the sound and the smell of that 100LL exhaust fumes.

My commute last summer and fall took me by the airport every day. On November 11th I saw the entire warbird fleet flying in formation for the Rememberance Day flypasts. As I passed the airport the Lanc crossed the road right in front of me low with its gear down as it came in for a landing.

The best part of that museum is that they do maintenance right on the display floor. I was there in the winter time once and they had the Lancaster partly taken apart with all sorts access panels and cowlings removed and one Merlin out of the plane on an engine stand.

That particular Lancaster is actually Canadian built and has never been overseas. They set up a shadow factory in Malton and used Packard Merlins. They are pretty much identical to the British built examples.

Blocko
Jul 12, 2008

Spoiler alert: Blood Ravens are actually Hiigarans who got sucked into the warp, were sent back in time to fight in WWII against the Panzer Elite, then stole a nazi time machine to go into the future and save mankind from an army of Lobster-Elephants and other impossible creatures.

Rated R.

MrChips posted:

Avro Arrow stuff
Ah you bastard. I was going to get all :canada: and post about the avro arrow. So instead I'll just get all super Canada and post a heritage moment about it starring Dan "The Motherfucker" Aykroyd

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlrfGx4ncgI

Blocko fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Mar 9, 2010

ursa_minor
Oct 17, 2006

I'm hella in tents.
I know some of you guys have probably seen this before - but this is our 1947 Cessna 140. My dad bought for $1500 out of Utah where a guy had groundlooped the living poo poo out of it. My dad and I rebuilt it in our garage. It was painted this gawdawful haphazard arrangement of white, black, red, and yellow - so Dad quickly rectified that.

It's an ex-bush plane, and has a larger 108 hp engine on it, an upgrade that was apparently done in the field, as the cowling has been beat to poo poo and back, then rivited to poo poo, then riveted so hard that it's no longer poo poo. Unfortunately, the end product is a beat-to-poo poo cowling, earning the plane it's nickname of Wrinkle-Dent One.

The wingtip is red because one night an owl struck it and obliterated it, and Dad replaced it a piece off a red plane. Everyone thought he did it on purpose and proclaimed my Dad an aesthetic genius, so he kept it. Anyways, pictures.
I don't like the checker on the vertical stabilizer, but it makes my Dad happy, so whatever.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.
Its beautiful!

Is something like that affordable?

ursa_minor
Oct 17, 2006

I'm hella in tents.

LobsterboyX posted:

Its beautiful!

Is something like that affordable?

I bet you could get about 18-25k for ours - somewhere around there - maybe more, maybe less. The polished aluminum, larger engine and bush-plane background may appeal to some. I don't know if that's affordable, but you don't have to be a Mr.Moneybags to own one.

Boy it would help though.

EDIT: Actually, after looking around online, I would guess ours would only fetch sub-20k prices. It's nice, but it's nice in that tough-guy way, where it's rough around the edges but functions better than most others. My dad is an A&P, so every little part on this plane is either up to spec or significantly improved - it just may not look so great.

ursa_minor fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Mar 9, 2010

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

rocket_350 posted:

The best part of that museum is that they do maintenance right on the display floor. I was there in the winter time once and they had the Lancaster partly taken apart with all sorts access panels and cowlings removed and one Merlin out of the plane on an engine stand.
how manly does your engine stand have to be to hold a loving merlin?

decahedron
Aug 8, 2005

by Ozma

galliumscan posted:

IMHO, the 757 is the Constellation of our age. Beautiful aircraft.

Man, I think the 757 is really ungainly looking. I love the MD80 series in terms of appearance.

Beerios
May 9, 2006

by T. Mascis

Tetraptous posted:

Click here for the full 1200x782 image.

Mi-26, the world's largest practical helicopter

Most pictures really don't do the Mi-26 justice. Here's a better illustration of just how huge it really is - that little thing underneath that it's carrying is a loving Chinook.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
The Bugatti air racer is very pretty and unique:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

how manly does your engine stand have to be to hold a loving merlin?
They weigh about 1,500lbs. There's also the Meteor, which is similar for land vehicles. Like Rover SD1 hatchbacks:

Click here for the full 500x374 image.

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"

Beerios posted:

Holy gently caress! :aaaaa:

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

DoLittle posted:

That actually looks like a bird.

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

DoLittle posted:

:gizz:

"gently caress practicality, we are going to build the most beautiful airplane the world will ever know!"

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
*cough*

The End.

Also, special paint schemes are cool.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Beerios posted:

Most pictures really don't do the Mi-26 justice. Here's a better illustration of just how huge it really is - that little thing underneath that it's carrying is a loving Chinook.

There is a company here in Alberta that operates an Mi-26 on a wet lease in support of the energy industry here. I saw their Mi-26 at an airport in northern Alberta a while back; I didn't get a sense of scale for it until a crewmember climbed out - thus illustrating the fact that this thing is bigger than a Boeing 737.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
we had an mi26 mod on the goon OFP server back in the day. it could hold like 4x as many people as the OFP server could hold. i loved it.

Manny
Jun 15, 2001

Like fruitcake!
This happened last year but I don't know how much coverage it got outside the UK. A Victor that had only been certified for taxi runs took off when the co-pilot froze up on the throttles, and the pilot had to recover it all on his own when he hadn't flown one for thirty years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rh2YSzBdWFg

An interview with the guy here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGjPu6DPzWU

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

DiscoDickTease posted:

For the 150th Anniversary of my Artillery regiment, I got to dance with my girlfriend under the nose of that thing, in full dress uniform, to a brass band.

I felt like it was 1942 all over again, and it was AWESOME.

Also, that particular Lancaster was used by Maritime Sea Command as a sub-hunter and SAR bird for a while. Her sister is on a pylon at CFB Greenwood, Nova Scotia.

MA-Horus fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Mar 9, 2010

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

That Victor incident is awesome. Came across a nice one I found a few months ago, wondering what "cartridge start" entailed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9fkmqPHTDE

From comments:

quote:

theres three cordite charges inside the nose cone, one is fired, the exhaust goes through a small turbine and gearbox thats coupled on to the front of the avon compressor. theres a clutch that disengages when the starter shaft slows down.
theres three charges because it dosent always start on the first attempt

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

monkeytennis posted:

*cough*

If people like this, then http://www.thunder-and-lightnings.co.uk/ is an absolute goldmine of British cold-war era aircraft. As is most of the RAF Museum at Cosford :)

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

Some Guy From NY posted:

The B-47 in the foreground, B-52 center, and the B-36 "Peacemaker" which was a ridiculously large piston driven aircraft before the B-47 came along.

edit: Ah hell, here is some info on the B-36.

size comparison next to a B-29, the same type of plane which dropped the A-bombs on Japan:

The B-36 is really quite an impressive aircraft when you think about it. It's World War II-era design taken as far as it could possibly go, and then a little farther just for good measure. The design was originally begun as a long-range bomber capable of hitting Berlin from the east cost of North America if England should fall, and was later adapted to carrying nuclear weapons and targeted at the Soviets from 1936 onward. Remember that two-bank Pratt and Whitney Double Wasp earlier? The B-36 used six 4-bank, 28-cylinder R-4360 Wasp Major engines:

(with a larger 3-bladed propeller tho)

This ended up being a widely used heavy-duty radial engine, powering the C-97, B-50 (an engine-swapped B-29), the C-119 "Flying Boxcar" (possibly an inspiration for Baloo's "Sea Duck" in Disney's TaleSpin), and of course, Howard Hughes' Hercules.

The B-36D model added four avgas-burning jet engines for greater altitude and faster speed while sprinting towards a target. The altitude capability enabled them to evade early Soviet air defenses, so this plane actually ended up being the predecessor to the U-2 in its RB-36 guise. Later models were stripped down and designated one of three levels of "Featherweight," and were apparently capable of flying in the neighborhood of 60,000 feet.

These were evidently impressive aircraft to see flying, likely much more intimidating than the infamously noisy Russian Tu-95. Unfortunately, only 4 remain intact, with parts of a fifth strewn about a farmer's property in Ohio. None of these will fly again, since the airframes are all old and brittle, and maintaining the engines in flying condition was a titanic undertaking, even on an Eisenhower-era military budget. So the ones sitting on the ground are all we have left.

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"
That is one incredible looking plane.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

my favorite exhibit at the royal canadian whatever in ontario a few years ago.

lancaster bomber. still flying. one of 2 in the world.

yes those pans on the floor were catching leaking oil from the engines. it was made in england, you know.

Hate to break it to you, but all the B-25s and B-17s I've seen have needed the same thing :)

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

InitialDave posted:

While we're being all :britain:, I really need to bring up the Avro Vulcan:

Click here for the full 788x455 image.

This just screams "Cold War" almost as much as the B-52 to me. And of course "Thunderball" the first Bond film I ever saw.

NathanScottPhillips
Jul 23, 2009
I visited the Wings Over the Rockies Air & Space Museum here in Denver a few months ago with some friends. This is one of my favorite museums because it has my very favorite aircraft:

B-1A Lancer:

This is one of only a very few of the "A" model, the B-1B is the one that made it to production. The A could do Mach 2.2 at altitudes as low as a few hundred feet. This particular airframe set most of the records for the Lancers, has the most flight time, and the highest top speed.

It can carry more bombs than even the B-52.

Also, in that pic you can see a BLU-82 "Daisy Cutter" sitting underneath.

They've got some other sweet planes two, but I only got pics of my other favs:

See, the F-14 isn't fat, its lean!

And I can only imagine how much fun this light weight interceptor is to fly:

Also at the museum is Luke's X-Wing:

This is the actual model that was stuck in the swamp.

My buddy's in the Air Force working up in the tower down in Phoenix, AZ. The other day the airbase got a special visit from some VIPs:

Also here's a picture of my grandfather circa 1950s, never met him but I felt a big connection when I first saw this picture:

Tetraptous
Nov 11, 2004

Dynamic instability during transition.

Beerios posted:

True enough. Standing next to one, you realize the airframe is more like a small airliner than a normal helicopter. The tail rotor is similar in size to the main rotor of many light utility helicopters.

Lusso
Jul 1, 2003

LobsterboyX posted:

my girlfriend hinted to me that my mom and her might be buying me a ride on the b17 for my birthday

That would be awesome. I caught a ride in Aluminum Overcast last August, and it was a blast. I'll be hard pressed not to do it again when she comes back through this year. Here are some pics from the flight. It was worth every penny ($400).

Lusso fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Mar 10, 2010

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?
You guys should all watch One Six Right.

And then weep like little girls that aviation just ain't what it used to be.

Quantrill
Nov 18, 2005

Lusso posted:

That would be awesome. I caught a ride in Aluminum Overcast last August, and it was a blast. I'll be hard pressed not to do it again when she comes back through this year. Here are some pics from the flight. It was worth every penny ($400).

Awesome. We had one stop at our local podunk airport a few years back. They didn't offer rides but I got to go in and feel the cramped goodness.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.

ApathyGifted posted:

You guys should all watch One Six Right.

And then weep like little girls that aviation just ain't what it used to be.

100% agreed, like i said in my post. I think everyone that has even the slightest bit of interest in aviation should see this.

KlementGottwald
Dec 24, 2009

by angerbot
I have a thing for Soviet Interceptors and Fighters;

Su-15 Flagon. This is the plane that shot down the Korean airliner in 1983. Never saw combat, as it was never exported.

Click here for the full 950x633 image.

Tupolev TU-28. Probably the largest interceptor ever made(27.2M! or 89ft.). Was not exported.

MIG-25. Was able to scare the USAF enough into developing the F-15. In reality this craft turned out to be far less capable than orginally thought. Also,it's radar was cooled by raw alcohol(Being Vacuum-tube based). Called the Smerch(Tornado), pilots were allegedly forbidden to engage it on the ground. The radar had incredible power and could burn through ECM.

MIG-29. A extremely capable and highly manuverable fighter. It has an extremely poor combat record and hence a bad reputation, which it really does not deserve.This one here is flying for the Czech Republic.

SU-27. The Soviet's answer to the F-15. Unlike most Russian aircraft,has a great combat/track record.Ukrainian colours.

KlementGottwald fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Mar 10, 2010

Imp Boy
Feb 8, 2004

grover posted:

Hot radials on this bird, two 2,250hp Pratt & Whitney R-2800-65W Double Wasp radials to be exact. Was the first US aircraft designed from inception to use radar, and our best night-fighter of WWII.

Four .50 cal machine guns coaxially mounted under the main fuselage
Four .50 cal machine guns in a dorsal turret (removed in later models)

Actually, these were even more awesome than that. The four guns on the fuselage were 20mm cannons, which pack one hell of a punch. Crazy thing is they almost rejected it in favor of keeping the de Havilland Mosquito as the primary night fighter, but were convinced otherwise when a Northrup Grumman test pilot showed how much better the Widow was. Supposedly it was one of the best handling aircraft of the war, thanks to some good engineering and the use of spoiler ailerons.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Preoptopus posted:

You guys have a plane thread and havnt mentioned crazy Russian awesomeness yet?
Anatov 225

What do you mean Russian it's clearly got a NASA shuttle on back! Oh wait, Buran.

One of my favorite jets, it is the largest swing wing airplane I know of, the Tu-160 Blackjack.

Bonus: Massive 2424x1714 labeled cutaway drawing

edit: Wing attack plan R

Not Wolverine fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Mar 10, 2010

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

b0nes posted:

Several months ago I went to the Experimental Aircraft Association in Osh Kosh, WI, and I took a good number of pictures, I can post some up if there is any interest.

Did you go to the show? Fun fact, for one week in the summer, Oshkosh, Wisconsin turns into the largest airport in the world.
Its really really loving sweet and a mecca for any aeronautical enthusiast. Also, every bit of grass in this huge airport is filled with tents and at night, all hell breaks loose.
Good times.

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Mar 10, 2010

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I live in Madison Wisc and go every year...:smug:

DerDestroyer
Jun 27, 2006

TimingBelt posted:

I have a thing for Soviet Interceptors and Fighters;

Su-15 Flagon. This is the plane that shot down the Korean airliner in 1983. Never saw combat, as it was never exported.

Click here for the full 950x633 image.

Tupolev TU-28. Probably the largest interceptor ever made(27.2M! or 89ft.). Was not exported.

MIG-25. Was able to scare the USAF enough into developing the F-15. In reality this craft turned out to be far less capable than orginally thought. Also,it's radar was cooled by raw alcohol(Being Vacuum-tube based). Called the Smerch(Tornado), pilots were allegedly forbidden to engage it on the ground. The radar had incredible power and could burn through ECM.

MIG-29. A extremely capable and highly manuverable fighter. It has an extremely poor combat record and hence a bad reputation, which it really does not deserve.This one here is flying for the Czech Republic.

SU-27. The Soviet's answer to the F-15. Unlike most Russian aircraft,has a great combat/track record.Ukrainian colours.

I too have a thing for Soviet fighters and interceptors. I'm surprised you haven't mentioned the Mig-31 Foxhound. Speaking of which does anyone have an idea of whether it turned out to be more capable than its predecessor the '25? I heard that Zalson radar it has was supposedly revolutionary technology.

I also really like the Mig-29 but I was wondering why it has a bad combat record and why you think it's undeserved?

The way I see it, I think that the exported models were inferior to what the Russians actually use in their armed forces and also they were never meant to be deployed the way they were by the 3rd world countries that used them. I think to really benefit from a Mig-29 you need an army of mechanics to ensure it's well maintained and you need good ground support in the form of radar etc and maybe an AWACS. Many nations couldn't afford that so the Mig was a flop since the opponents it ran into usually had those things.

DerDestroyer fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Mar 10, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
The -29 has a bad combat record due to the fact that in both Iraq, and the Bosnian campaign (IIRC) the USAF slapped poorly trained pilots around like little bitches. Not really indicative of actual performance, but on paper F-15s gently caress them up.