Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

So there were a lot of pictures taken during the lead-up to the mission / during prep; were these sanctioned and then eventually declassified?

Also, I guess at this time, you could (somewhat) penetrate Iranian airspace with impunity? I.E. no IADS, radar network, etc?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

They had radar, but their air force was in disarray from the revolution and they lost a lot of their leadership due to purges and such. This is why Saddam saw an opening and invaded a few years later.

Radar also isn't anywhere near perfect, thats why they were using nap of the Earth flying to get there.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

movax posted:

Also, I guess at this time, you could (somewhat) penetrate Iranian airspace with impunity? I.E. no IADS, radar network, etc?

The F-14s make a hell of an AWACS. Whether the missile actually work is another question. Presumably we'd engage at BVR while they dropped past-expiration-date Phoenixes, and send in some suicidal nutters Wild Weasels to take out the SAMs along the route. Though apparently Eagle Claw planned on having the -53s come in below the radar, and Spectre gunships for suppressing fire. Wikipedia doesn't mention the fast-mover part, but has pictures of Phantoms and Corsairs with invasion stripes.

Edit: aren't there semi-credible accounts from wars against Iran where the enemy fighters turned tail and ran when they were painted by the AWG-9, which the Iranians were using as ersatz AWACS, the missiles having long passed their use-by date?

Edit again: was the Tomcat as good as the Navy and Iran say it was/is? I mean, it looked sexy as hell, starred in a blockbuster movie, and had decent specs, and was the more reasonable option after an expensive boondoggle failed, but was it actually that badass?

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jun 6, 2013

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Get that booze monkey off my back!

Delivery McGee posted:

Edit again: was the Tomcat as good as the Navy and Iran say it was/is? I mean, it looked sexy as hell, starred in a blockbuster movie, and had decent specs, and was the more reasonable option after an expensive boondoggle failed, but was it actually that badass?

No

And where are you getting the info about the Kitty being a good AWACS?

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Those Phoenix missiles weren't past their expiration date in 1980 so that might have been problematic but all I've read points to the missile really being a bomber killer with a low Pk against maneuvering targets, especially so at the more extreme end of its range (as with all missiles tbh).

The initial F-14s suffered from their relatively underpowered engines which were also very prone to compressor stall. From what I've gathered the plane had a very decent instantaneous turn rate, as with a lot of other naval fighters, but suffered in sustained turning and would bleed airspeed like a motherfucker. I guess it functioned more like a boom and zoom fighter up close, although initial performance in the vertical wouldn't have been much to write home about.

All in all still a very useful platform if used in its intended role - fleet air defence - where picking off AVMF regiments ruled the roost. Comparable aircraft like MiG-23 or the Tornado ADV probably had more limitations and only something like the MiG-31 seems to get close.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Geizkragen posted:

No

And where are you getting the info about the Kitty being a good AWACS?

Well, "good" as in "better than anything else Iran has" and "that's really all they can do better than Soviet export-model fighters since the Phoenixes have crapped out" from Wikipedia.

But yeah, very much boom-and-zoom from way out. Good for keeping the Soviet bombers away from the carrier before cruise missiles got good, and okay as a bomber later in life once they fixed the problem of it randomly exploding.

Conversely, what's the consensus on the F-15? Is the -C really the best fighter of its generation? I'm sure the Mudhen is better than the Bombcat in the attack role.

Edit: also, how's the Superbug in relation to the -14 and -15? I get the impression from Clancy and his ilk that the Tomcat was decent and looked awesome, the Intruder was the best bomb truck ever, and the two flavors of F-15 are the end-all of their respective jobs, and the -18E/F is jack of all trades, master of none.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jun 6, 2013

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Delivery McGee posted:

Well, "good" as in "better than anything else Iran has" and "that's really all they can do better than Soviet export-model fighters since the Phoenixes have crapped out" from Wikipedia.

But yeah, very much boom-and-zoom from way out. Good for keeping the Soviet bombers away from the carrier before cruise missiles got good, and okay as a bomber later in life once they fixed the problem of it randomly exploding.

Conversely, what's the consensus on the F-15? Is the -C really the best fighter of its generation? I'm sure the Mudhen is better than the Bombcat in the attack role.

The Israelis have certainly eaten their opponents alive with the F-15C; now that I think about, thanks to the Israelis, we (assumedly) have a lot of real-life data about how they really perform in combat (insert comment about opponents here).

That said I thought the MiG-29 when operated by a competent airforce (Luftwaffe) was nothing to sneeze at, especially if they got in close and you lost your technological/BVR advantage. They had awful range and subpar avionics, but the manoeuvrability was certainly present. Having working IRST didn't hurt either.

movax fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jun 6, 2013

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

movax posted:

The Israelis have certainly eaten their opponents alive with the F-15C; now that I think about, thanks to the Israelis, we (assumedly) have a lot of real-life data about how they really perform in combat (insert comment about opponents here).

Yeah, doesn't the -15C have a perfect record of 104:0 or so, if you don't count the time the guy smoked his wingman, possibly because they loaded warshots instead of training missiles? (or was it known live missiles and he accidentally pulled the trigger?)

I am constantly amused by the Mudhen's one air-to-air kill. They dropped a bomb on a helicopter offloading troops, the helicopter took off, and the 2000-pound bomb found its mark at 800 feet AGL just as the pilot was waiting for tone on a Sidewinder.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

The F-15C with the V3 AESA radar they are sticking in them is debatably still one of the top 5 fighters in the world in many respects. Platforms like the Su-35 and EF-2000 with the same support/inventory/training as the US has are probably right in that boat, though.

Thats all nerdy airplane theorycrafting though, as they probably will never even face each other in combat.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Well, with the way modern "fighters" the best one would probably be a E-3 with an AIM-54

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
Saw something unusual today. Solar Impulse, a solar airplane that is slowly (40mph) making it's way across the country, proving technologies for a v2.0 that will do a round the world flight.

solarimpulse by RReiheld, on Flickr

DSC_5785 by RReiheld, on Flickr

Also saw a very hazy and wrong-lensy F-18 doing touch and gos off the parallel runway

blurryhornet by RReiheld, on Flickr

And the old McDonnell manufacturing floor, complete with some old timers happy to tell you how about back in the day they had F-4's from here to there, and the F-18 line going this way, and the F-15 line going thatway. The Solar Impulse was actually supposed to be in here, but this hangar was damaged by last weeks tornados, so they put it in a temporary hangar they fly along in a Dornier 328 behind them

mcdonnellmanufacturingfloor by RReiheld, on Flickr

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Off to Seattle this weekend, there is a Museum of some type I should check out right?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

drat, that's a pretty big temporary hangar.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Slo-Tek posted:

Saw something unusual today. Solar Impulse, a solar airplane that is slowly (40mph) making it's way across the country, proving technologies for a v2.0 that will do a round the world flight.

solarimpulse by RReiheld, on Flickr

DSC_5785 by RReiheld, on Flickr

Hard to find a solid photo, but does that aircraft only have one landing gear? Is it something like the U-2's layout?

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.

movax posted:

Off to Seattle this weekend, there is a Museum of some type I should check out right?

Mnmm yeah, also there's a huge aircraft factory nearby?? I don't know

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Koesj posted:

The initial F-14s suffered from their relatively underpowered engines which were also very prone to compressor stall.

I am by no means an expert or professional source, but the TF30 is a piece of poo poo.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

YF19pilot posted:

Hard to find a solid photo, but does that aircraft only have one landing gear? Is it something like the U-2's layout?

Very much like that. The main gear retracts, but it has a fixed tail-wheel, and a couple pogos under the outboard engines that are not retractable. When it is on display, they have a couple taller jacks to put in next to the pogos.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

movax posted:

That museum is a 2 day thing, no lie. I spent an entire day from opening to close and I had to blow through several exhibits. Mrs. Slidebite was incredibly patient but would have killed me in my sleep if I wanted to go back the next day.

Entone
Aug 14, 2004

Take that slow people!

smackfu posted:

drat, that's a pretty big temporary hangar.

I'm pretty sure that's the damaged manufacturing floor. I found a pic of the portable hanger.

edit: You probably just meant it's a huge rear end temporary hanger from the wing span. Overworked and exhausted...

Entone fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jun 7, 2013

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

Also in the old hangar was this:

10000 by RReiheld, on Flickr

Which I suspect was to mark the 10,000th aircraft manufactured there. The total production run on the Phantom alone was 5,195 aircraft. Add in a few Banshees, Demons, Eagles, and Hornets, and pretty soon you're talking real money.

They still build superbugs in St. Louis, in a new facility across the way, and at least occasionally test the F-15SE.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
Museum of Flight is definitely a 2-day thing. Paine Field in Everett also has the Flying Heritage Museum, along with the MoF's restoration center. I still haven't been to the heritage museum, I really need to make a day of it.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I haven't done it but there is also the Future of Flight museum which gives you a tour of the Boeing Everett factory (747, 767, 777, 787).

Mobius1B7R
Jan 27, 2008

CharlesM posted:

I haven't done it but there is also the Future of Flight museum which gives you a tour of the Boeing Everett factory (747, 767, 777, 787).

If you are ever up in Seattle and have time to kill, absolutely do that tour. It sucks you can't take pictures but being in that factory is awe inspiring. I need to go back and check out the Flying Heritage Museum.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Mobius1B7R posted:

If you are ever up in Seattle and have time to kill, absolutely do that tour. It sucks you can't take pictures but being in that factory is awe inspiring. I need to go back and check out the Flying Heritage Museum.

I drive past that factory every day on the way to work. It owns when the doors are open and you can see inside.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
The 777 assembly line moves very slowly on "crawlers", giant wheeled vehicles. I think they go just a few feet per hour. It's supposed to be part of their Boeing Production System, which is of course their version of the Toyota Production System. I wonder why they didn't continue those crawlers to the 787. I'm guessing it's because of how the production was supposed to happen, with a quick final assembly of the parts being brought in from the different factories.

edit: Supposedly the factory is larger than Disneyland, I think the largest factory in the U.S. (world?) or something like that.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

CharlesM posted:

The 777 assembly line moves very slowly on "crawlers", giant wheeled vehicles. I think they go just a few feet per hour. It's supposed to be part of their Boeing Production System, which is of course their version of the Toyota Production System. I wonder why they didn't continue those crawlers to the 787. I'm guessing it's because of how the production was supposed to happen, with a quick final assembly of the parts being brought in from the different factories.

edit: Supposedly the factory is larger than Disneyland, I think the largest factory in the U.S. (world?) or something like that.

The Everett plant is still the largest building in the world by volume, seriously it's big as hell.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
San Bernardino International Airport is this weird almost completely unused facility surrounded by grocery store warehouses. I went there yesterday to see the 747-8i Boeing is doing testing on out there.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

CharlesM posted:

The 787 assembly takes place on crawlers; it's because mobile factory equipment is taxed at a lower rate than immobile factory equipment too.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Blistex posted:

I don't think there was one part of Credible sport that made sense.

:v: We're going to land, Delta Force will free the hostages, and we'll take off.
:what: What about the Iranian guards? Won't they fire on the aircraft, the soldiers, and possibly execute the hostages?
:v: Awe...
:what: Awww? You didn't even thing of that? A single stray bullet could turn all those JATOs into a giant fireball, killing everyone and. . .
:v: No sir, "A-W-E" They will be in Awe of our awesomeness. Awe will render the Iranian guards ineffective. We plan to blast Mr. Reagan's campaign song, "Born in the USA" to tell the Iranians how awe-some it is to be American. They will have no choice but to fall to the ground in awe.
:awesome: makes sense to me!

The anticipated casualties for Credible Sport (for both the hostages and the rescuers) were pretty :stare:. So much so that the -130s were going to take off from the soccer stadium and fly directly to an aircraft carrier to get treatment.

Yes, the Herks involved were going to do a glorified crash "assault" landing in a soccer stadium, then do a STOL takeoff from said stadium, and THEN land on an aircraft carrier.

ctishman
Apr 26, 2005

Oh Giraffe you're havin' a laugh!

iyaayas01 posted:

The anticipated casualties for Credible Sport (for both the hostages and the rescuers) were pretty :stare:. So much so that the -130s were going to take off from the soccer stadium and fly directly to an aircraft carrier to get treatment.

Yes, the Herks involved were going to do a glorified crash "assault" landing in a soccer stadium, then do a STOL takeoff from said stadium, and THEN land on an aircraft carrier.

And then, I imagine, just be shoved off into the ocean afterwards.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

ctishman posted:

And then, I imagine, just be shoved off into the ocean afterwards.

Doubt it. Herks can take off from a carrier too, really not all that much to it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ar-poc38C84

Probably would've offloaded everyone (or at least the casualties), gotten some fuel if they needed it, and then relaunched to a base in Oman or Saudi or Egypt or wherever.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

Domino's Flight Tests Pizza-Delivery Aircraft

quote:

The DomiCopter, developed by Aerosight, has the ability to deliver up to two large pizzas over a four-mile radius.
The test flights were conducted by an experienced unmanned aircraft pilot near London. The pilot used the aid of several cameras to conduct the flight test, though the setup was not nearly as technologically advanced as the typical ground-control station setup used for more advanced military and civilian unmanned missions.
"We're always looking to innovate and find new ways to deliver our pizza and a DomiCopter could fit the bill perfectly," said Simon Wallis, sales and marketing director at Domino's. What better way to totally avoid the traffic than to fly - if anything this will now make us even quicker."

Will this spawn a new branch of ATC?

Also, the 737 line is on moving platforms, too.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

I see two problems with this: one, what if someone orders more than two pizzas? And two, replacing a pizza delivery boy with a drone operator seems like it will increase labor costs. Still, neat idea.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

So there are 2 DC-3s and a Twin Otter (new build) sitting in front of the Viking hanger at YYC. They've been spinning up an engine on one of the DC-3s too. It's been a pretty good lunch. Bad one to have no camera though.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

StandardVC10 posted:

I see two problems with this: one, what if someone orders more than two pizzas? And two, replacing a pizza delivery boy with a drone operator seems like it will increase labor costs. Still, neat idea.

If someone orders two pizzas they'll dispatch a car.

Driving a drone is easy, even for computers; getting the drone to the general area can be automated while the difficult part of finding the right door might require a human. Regardless, it's basically a silly research/PR project that's much cheaper than a Super Bowl ad at this point.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Cocoa Crispies posted:

The 787 assembly takes place on crawlers; it's because mobile factory equipment is taxed at a lower rate than immobile factory equipment too.

Ah, I guess I missed that / forgot. Like the other poster said, there are no pictures allowed so I can't look at any to remind myself.

AzureSkys posted:

Also, the 737 line is on moving platforms, too.

I haven't been to that factory, but I have seen the 737 bodies on railcars making their way there. :P

Cocoa Crispies posted:

If someone orders two pizzas they'll dispatch a car.

Driving a drone is easy, even for computers; getting the drone to the general area can be automated while the difficult part of finding the right door might require a human. Regardless, it's basically a silly research/PR project that's much cheaper than a Super Bowl ad at this point.

How does a drone ring a doorbell?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

CharlesM posted:

I'd much rather get a phone call than a doorbell ring or door knock.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

CharlesM posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7riiM7JUHIk&t=1m13s

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

just imagine, you're chillin' in your crib, smoking mad :420::2bong::420:, and suddenly the craving for some primo 'za hits you like a moon shot. So you IM Dominos for an XL hot dog stuffed crust Hawaiian with jalapenos and anchovies. 30 minutes later, your pocket vibrates to alert you to the arrival of your pie. You go downstairs, open the door, and there is A loving UFO HOVERING IN FRONT OF YOU HOLDING YOUR PIZZA.

This could be either the greatest or most terrifying day of your stoner life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

I'm gonna call up Iran to get their jamming technology.

Free pizza for life.